Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Why exactly? I am a big fan of Gaiman but for whatever reason I never got around to Sandman. Is it a bad adaptation or is it problems with the quality of the production?
    You should really read it first as its his best work.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    - Leaving out Tom Bombadil and expanding out the Arwen storyline were both great moves made for the Lord of the Rings movies. The Tom Bombadil stuff would have distracted from the story of LotR whereas the Arwen storyline did a lot to tell the beauty of the LotR universe and truly what could be lost had Sauron won.

- Aside from the Death & Rebirth storyline, I cannot think of a single interesting Superman storyline.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    In some books, Vol 2 is NOT, in fact, a new volume and picks up EXACTLY where Vol 1 ended, and Vol 2, Issue 1 is a direct story followup to Vol 1, issue 15. Sometimes even the creative team doesn't change, and Vol 1 issue 1-15, Vol 2 issue 1-15, and Vol 3 1-15 are all one ongoing 45 issue story with events in Vol 3 issue 10 directly relating to something that happened back in Vol 2 issue 5, and if you have not read all the previous volumes, much of the story will be lost on you. A new reader, understandably, will be confused, since "issue 1" implies the start of a series and seeing 3 issue 1's implies 3 different beginnings, not that Vol 2 issue 1 is actually Vol 1 issue 16 in all but name.

Yet for other books, Vol 1 issue 15 ends the run, and Vol 2 issue 1 is a complete reboot, restart, or whatever of the character, and may not be tied into Vol 1 in any way, aside from featuring the same main character. You may read Vol 1 issues 1-15, then you pick up Vol 2, issue 1, expecting a continuation of the story and it's like everything in Vol 1 did not happen, no references to it, different supporting cast, maybe even a different tone of writing.
    That's one thing that bothers me about reading comics, and it's happening with X-Men right now. You've got this long list of like 6-8 books you have to read in a specific order to follow what should be ONE story. How many times am I going to have to flip flop through issue#4 of this book, then issue#37 of that, issue# 103 of another book, and then back to issue #17 of the first? And the whole time I'm wondering, "What the hell happened in issues #5-16 of the one I started with? Why do comics DO that? It's aggravating as hell.

Until issue 50 I liked Tom King’s run on Batman.

Nick Spencer’s captain America run was my favorite and the build up to secret empire was fantastic. The event itself was lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by LCSscallywag View Post
    If this new Batman movie even hints at his origin story again I'm going to lose my damn mind.
    Batman's origin story has been shown more than Spider-man's origin story. I did enjoy Affleck as Batman. Pattinson I am iffy about. His Bruce Wayne looks like he's in an emo band. However, I will wait until I see it before I judge one way or the other. I still remember the raging about Heath Ledger being Joker until the movie came out, and not everyone says he was amazing. Honestly he's the best part of 3 barely mediocre Batman movies.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think superhero comics could be much better if they weren't so commited to have a shared universe. Thinking mainly Marvel and DC here.

Also single issues suck and crossover events are a waste of time.

As far as books go; H.P. Lovecraft's stories and writing style is actually unimaginably awful and tedious, but the genre he popularized (Lovecraftian/Cosmic Horror) is pretty rad.
    - Dare not to sleep -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Why exactly? I am a big fan of Gaiman but for whatever reason I never got around to Sandman. Is it a bad adaptation or is it problems with the quality of the production?
    Oh the production was great, but it sounded like a hi res table read of a really possibly okay main story with a bunch of really really just silly side plots.

When they first mentioned "It's with the Justice League!!!!!" I hit stop, remove from device, and hunt for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    You should really read it first as its his best work.
    Sandman is amazing. The two Death mini-series are great too.

3+ Year Old Account
    Dune is mindbogglingly bad and I have no idea why they're making a second movie based on it.

While I do enjoy Lovecraftian horror, Lovecraft's own work is kinda meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    When they first mentioned "It's with the Justice League!!!!!" I hit stop, remove from device, and hunt for a refund.
    You should've continued. Dream has a short chat with Martian Manhunter and continues on his way.

Shortly thereafter you're treated to one of the most fucked up pieces of horror ever put into a comic.

The Sandman is part of the DC universe. DC Characters will crop from time to time although not that often. The Sandman is not a linear story and these small side stories reveal a small piece to the greater story. Its one instance of how the monthly "pamphlets" can work in making a much larger story. An audio book isn't necessarily a great way of conveying that but that doesn't mean it can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    X-23's run as Wolverine from 2015 - 2018 was far better than anything Logan Wolverine has done in the last 20 years. There was a point where I wanted Logan to stay dead longer just so this run could last a little longer. Also Gabby (Honey Badger) is awesome and not annoying

Last edited by Orby; 2020-10-13 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoy cross overs in established univereses between franchises, but I hate how Batman does it. Like, I have not kept up to date on most comics, but to me, Batman in Gotham and Batman in the Justice League should be two seperate entities.

I imagine a large chuck of the appeal of the character is the idea that he is the one superhero that is vaguely realistic, so I really liked how most of the movies and animated series conveyed that fact for the most part with the types of enemies and world they established. I dont want to see Batman fight superman or travel through time, I want to see him be a vigilante detective fighting psychopaths in a vaguely realistic universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The world of Terry Pratchett's Discworld is far better developed and flushed out that Tolkien's Middle Earth in every aspect. (and I love Tolkien)
    I like them both and this simply isn't true. Tolkien's world is one that could actually work, given these rules. Pratchett on the other hand never actually tried to do that, hes works are satirical and include "rip off" characters from other works as well as mixing magic, barbarians and relatively high tech etc. in the same world. Discworld is basically like WoW and none of the inconsistencies are simply not addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    These usually have volume numbering. "Vol 2. Issue 17, October 2020" seems pretty straightforward to me.
    Yeah it's not that straightforward. I'll give you an example:

Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 ran for 441 issues
    The next issue was Vol 2 #1 and ran for 58 issues
    Then it switched back to Vol #1 at 500 and ran to issue 700
    Then ASM was replaced by Superior Spider-Man #1 and ran for 31 issues
    After which it switched back to Amazing Spider-Man Vol 3 #1 and ran for 20 issues
    Which then was rebooted again as ASM Vol 4 and started at #1 and ran for another 32 issues
    Before switching back to ASM Vol 1 for 789-801
    And finally ASM Vol 5 #1 which is still ongoing.

That's just 1 title (Well 2 if you count SSM as a separate title...but it was brought in as a replacement title for ASM).

I don't like any Marvel movies aside from Thor 1, Ironman 1, Hulk 1 and 2 (yes those ones), Ragnarok and Guardians 1. All the newer ones including Avengers were just too flashy, full of boring fight scenes and bad attempts at comedy.

I really don't care if shows or movies don't follow the books and think they should ignore the "fans". Also in most cases no, the show or movie was better than the books despite what social media says(I do my research first and don't watch bad or low quality stuff though).