Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Soloing the world as a PvEer in War Mode is not worth it right?

At first I was like omg why didn't I have this enabled before it gives all those abilities. And then I realized unless I'm in a group it will probably waste more time eventually. Yeah you may go faster at some rewards/quest rewards with it on but only one ganking that wastes 3-4 minutes of you life + the stress is not gonna be worth it for most players unless they are literally PvPers.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Historically it's absolutely been worth it, especially if you have Call To Arms so +30% XP, not +10% XP.

Last time I leveled 1-120 with War Mode on I got in three PvP fights over the entire time (all of them in Legion - literally no-one at all attacked me in BfA).

Will it be worth it in the new system? I think the much larger number of people leveling, plus the compressed leveling means you'll encounter a lot more people from the other side - but most of them will just be looking to level, not to start stuff, so will probably ignore you. Still, it's harder to say. If you're thinking right now, before the pre-patch, it's almost definitely worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Half the time when you have WM On opposite faction is the same as you, just questing and xping with WM On to get the bonus. You will get ganked every now and then, but unless you are in an area like Voldun as an Alliance its pretty easy. Stick to your own faction leveling areas and you are good.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends. Right now with people bored, if you are a fresh 120 in WM, you are probably in 1-shot territory of any reasonably geared player. However, if you are playing on non prime times, then why not? I leveled most of my alts with WM on. Didnt get much ganked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    It depends. Right now with people bored, if you are a fresh 120 in WM, you are probably in 1-shot territory of any reasonably geared player. However, if you are playing on non prime times, then why not? I leveled most of my alts with WM on. Didnt get much ganked.
    I was thinking of it in a "min-maxing" way. Say I do get some advantage from it and it did save me some time. If a ganking though wastes a few minutes it likely makes it worse so it might be best for people literally interested in pvp (in practice: who they don't die easily).

there is no stress. if you get ganked just use the group finder to go to another shard where there are no gankers. (you can join WQ groups even ifyou already completed them, just gotto remember the name)

there are some times during the week where gankers are a lot more prevalent, usually on reset day in the CTA zones, but you can work around that if you want.

It varies greatly.

My server is in an RP server only group but uses the overall EU warmode balance to determine bonuses, meaning that Alliance gets a 25-30% bonus despite massively outnumbering the Horde in our actual shards. This makes it a no-brainer to use for my Alliance main (and basically gives free access to conquest and PvP items via war supply chests, faction assaults and the Against Overwhelming Odds weekly). You still have to keep your eyes out, though, as you can still get caught alone and cross-realm ganksquads exist for both factions.

For Horde players in our shards, obviously, it's an absurd idea to use it.

Despite it being so very beneficial, I plan on dropping warmode in SL, as I believe renown isn't gated behind the WM bonus, lack of flying will make avoiding fights very difficult, and most pertinently of all most of my realm is in normal mode so I lose access to most of the realm community by being in WM, mostly seeing faceless randoms instead.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    At first I was like omg why didn't I have this enabled before it gives all those abilities. And then I realized unless I'm in a group it will probably waste more time eventually. Yeah you may go faster at some rewards/quest rewards with it on but only one ganking that wastes 3-4 minutes of you life + the stress is not gonna be worth it for most players unless they are literally PvPers.

Corpse runs are unbelievably fast. You rez, mount up, and fly off. When someone does grief you, just go hit up the inn at the nearest FP and turn it off, no big deal.

I hate PVP since it brings out the absolute worst in people, but war mode is basically god mode for questing. Pretty stupid that PVPers get EZ Mode and get more rewards.

I got a human mage alt (main is a Vulpera priest) that has it on 24/7 for the 30% bonus doing gold WQs. It all adds up nicely from a few minutes of doing them daily.

People would have you believe you get ganked all the time, which is absolute bull. I've leveled with WM and WQ'd for this past year on it, and so rarely do I encounter gankers other than those typically after the weekly PvP quests in their given zones at the start of the week. The PvP Talents can help kill mobs faster, such as Shadow Priest's instant Void Eruption cast, making farming and WQ'ing so much more efficient.

So to conclude, yes it is worth to PvE with War Mode on. Though you might want to turn it off doing Uldum/Vale minor invasions that have the weekly 25 kill quest there.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-10-05 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by einaschern View Post
    Corpse runs are unbelievably fast. You rez, mount up, and fly off. When someone does grief you, just go hit up the inn at the nearest FP and turn it off, no big deal.

I hate PVP since it brings out the absolute worst in people, but war mode is basically god mode for questing. Pretty stupid that PVPers get EZ Mode and get more rewards.
    Warmode is nonsensical when you think about it. On average, the rewards are obscenely overpowered relative to the effort invested. Moreover, because the rewards for WM are all PvE-based and the reward for actually killing someone is absolutely negligible, you are encouraged to avoid fighting other players as much as possible, which defeats the supposed purpose of WM - namely of trying to encourage people to do WPvP more. (And if you ask me, WPvP is mostly just braindead ganking and really isn't something worth saving).

I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

I used to keep it on 24/7, but I started toggling it in 8.3. The bonus rewards are trivial for the most part, with the pvp talents being the real bonus that gets lost when I turn WM off, like instant void form for spriest. I'd rather hardcast void eruption than waste time corpse running though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I used to keep it on 24/7, but I started toggling it in 8.3. The bonus rewards are trivial for the most part, with the pvp talents being the real bonus that gets lost when I turn WM off, like instant void form for spriest. I'd rather hardcast void eruption than waste time corpse running though.
    Yeah, pretty much the only suggestion to turn it off is in the minor invaded zones due to the weekly quest people killing for 25 player kills...

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    At least for me ganking in recent times has not been an issue anymore. I know it still happens on rare occasion. But even leveling through the world with War Mode on other players nowadays just /wave and go on their way. I've been turning it on all my alts for leveling lately, just because of the small bonuses and it's been over 6 months since I was ganked. It kind of makes me sad thinking back to the massive wpvp fights we had that were so fun, especially back in BC. The downside of flying is it really killed wpvp. Outside summoning stones of raids had bigger fights than battlegrounds.

Some of that wpvp will kick back up with Shadowlands. I probably wouldn't leave it on for leveling in SL zones for the first few months, unless you're looking for a fight. But anywhere else in the world you'll probably be ok. And in a few months after launch even the SL zones will probably be fairly safe.

Worth it for the 25/30% as alliance, less worth it as horde with the 10% bonus.

As alliance (and probably horde too), avoid the earlier 1-60 zones that are popular for 120's to come and camp. From my experience that is Elwynn/Westfall/Redridge/Duskwood. If you go to those, you are much more likely to run into some bored 120 (usually with really crappy gear for a 120) who is picking on lowbies because he can't PvP at max level without getting smashed. There is also a war campaign horde quest that sends Horde to Redridge fyi.

If you pick more out of the way zones, you'll likely never see a high level enemy, much less one that cares about killing you. If you see equal level enemies, more than likely nobody will attack as everyone just wants to level. The only exception is if you take a named mob or a very limited mob type in front of them. They might kill you because they can't share the tag and don't want to wait.

Avoid Legion assaults, they're a disaster because of the above mentioned tagging system. There are also a lot of 120's doing them still. BfA zones are the same if there is a Call to Arms quest there for the week or a zone invasion.

On my Alliance EU roleplay server chars wm is essentially free 30% bonus. Can't even remember last time I was attacked.

On my horde RP chars it's absurd, as I only get 10% and run into alliance every 5 minutes or so.

I've leveled a lot of chars, all with WM on. It does not matter most of the time, since leveling in dungeons is so fast. And almost nobody is around for 1-100. Legion is a mixed bag, for some reason there are a bunch of 120 just flying around, killing low levels. And it's even worse during assaults, but the XP from assaults is so good, so you don't spend too much time in legion zones, especially if you leveled to ~103 in WoD. BFA is also pretty chill, very few enemy players on your island, as long as you stay away from dungeon entrances.

As for SL, we can only speculate, but in BFA if you gotten ahead of the main pack, it was super chill. Other people also want to level up ASAP, so nobody attacks each other. Unless you ran in to trolls, but not much you can do then. I think it will be the same thing in SL, better even, since you have to follow specific leveling path first time around. If you can get ahead, it should be clear sailing.
    Last edited by Echeyakee; 2020-10-05 at 07:38 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd have WM on even if there wasn't a bonus.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account

I leveled 24 characters to 120 in BFA. 12 of them from level 1 and 12 from 110 (Legion). 12 were on a dead Alliance heavy server and 12 were on a raid heavy Horde server (the 12 on the dead server were Legion 110's, the 12 on a raid heavy Horde server were all level 1's). I leveled all the Legion toons with Warmode off. I leveled the New toons with Warmode toggled.......

On- from level 1 starting area up to Wrath and then Off, lots of 120 Alliance flying around Borean Tundra killing quest givers and players

Off- from Wrath through Cata (Mount Hyjal).... once again too many 120 Alliance (seems like it's usually Prot Pallies) killing players, they left the quest givers alone since it hurt their faction if they were dead

On- Panda Land..... I just opened Honeydew Village up and then did nothing but treasures....didn't have any problems, WoD since it was just doing treasures and bonus objectives (here I would get ganked at least twice but the XP was so huge and fast, it was worth it plus I tried to level here at 2 AM or so)

Off- Legion.... since both factions are leveling on the same two maps ("Tyrande..where are you my love" and the emo ghost prince map) it wasn't even a thought, lots of 120's grinding rep so No Thanks to 10% xp gain versus corpse running

On- BFA since not really any Alliance to speak of on the Horde maps

SL-...........No..............NO......all of us on the same map progression ala BC? Not happening for the paultry 10%....just no

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiraya View Post
    Warmode is nonsensical when you think about it. On average, the rewards are obscenely overpowered relative to the effort invested. Moreover, because the rewards for WM are all PvE-based and the reward for actually killing someone is absolutely negligible, you are encouraged to avoid fighting other players as much as possible, which defeats the supposed purpose of WM - namely of trying to encourage people to do WPvP more. (And if you ask me, WPvP is mostly just braindead ganking and really isn't something worth saving).

I wouldn't be sad to see it go.
    It accomplished exactly what it was meant to - stopped the asshats who rolled on pvp servers and didn't actually want to fight other players from crying about pvp. Now when people cry about pvp everyone points and laughs because ffs just turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I absolutely do it for all my pre-110 levels. Finding someone who will attack you at those levels is extremely rare from my experience, and +30% xp is beyond worth it. Especially during those levels when you can literally just fly around picking up chests.

I've also done it on 110-120 recently as well. It's worked quite well, even in Zandalar, though being able to fly makes that all possible. I would never do it during a busy period of the expansion, but these days it's a ton of free xp and gold.