View Poll Results: Should Shadowlands Endgame have a gear upgrade system similar to Corruption?

Voters
248. This poll is closed
  • Yes - A system to customize gear with targeted, purchaseable upgrades

51 20.56%
  • No - Bring back Titanforging, with gear only getting random chances at upgrades upon drop

23 9.27%
  • Neither - Dropped gear should not be upgradeable, either by chance or effort

174 70.16%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Valor upgrades only sucked when going back to the vendor really - so if the valor upgrade could be a drop off bosses and however many could be used to upgrade a piece of loot as a guarenteed drop it gets rid the rng drops of titanforging while keeping the convenience of not having to go back to town to fiddle with gear you just got.

Stockpiling for upgrades you later get is a concern (could be exclusive to tier or valor reset per tier as it did before) - especially as people save for BiS, which titanforging got around. "Ideal upgrading" could be negative in terms of not being able to spend on what you have because you "need" to save for BiS upgrades. Knowing what to spend on can also be comforting, bit rng drops could also be good so it's subjective. (Think SoO did titan/thunder/warforging power and drops best.)

Corruption just wasn't fun sans only secondary boosts to make rotations more involved with more haste, basically. Being cursed wasn't fun, only punishing, not very minigamey except on some specs with multiple ways to immune the effects - but that is negative when such abilities are required for soak jobs.

No thanks. I'd rather play the game myself instead of letting all the crazy effects outside of my controll do a large part of the job for me.

Also, the philosophy they adopted for shadowlands is exactly what I have wanted. Let gear be gear instead of this endless gear chase for better gear that always made me feel like "eh, it could have dropped at higher ilvl/socketed/with a tertiary stat" instead of actually being happy with a loot drop for once.

Having concrete goals is nice, having crazy RNG aspects on gear on top of something actually dropping feels like moving the goal posts all the time to me and I hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found that I rather intensely disliked the corruption mechanic so I played much less starting with 8.3. I'm not criticizing those who enjoyed it but it didn't work for me at all.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    No systems.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I was fine with it, even more so when I could target the corruption. If Blizzard's internal data shows that people engaged in the content, I can see them doing it again. I can also see those "They never learn" threads on this forum in such a case ^^
    I mean the system flat out didn't work... ironically limit killed one of the easiest versions of mythic znoth in their first kills as their dmg with echoing unerfed eclipsed most others..afterwards.

With shadowlands buckling and being crushed to death under borrowed power and their normal testers simply not logging in till things are brought more in line I think shadowlands will finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back on these systems.

i'm tired of all the systems they keep doing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    VP was absolutely hands down the most retarded ideas they ever came up.
    Agree, for me it takes away any RPG/immersion feel I get when you loot gear/power from bosses or doing specific content to upgrade yourself, than getting a currency you then go and buy gear from, or even worse, upgrade gear you already got. For me that got no place in a game like WoW and makes character progression boring. Catch up gear is one thing, but to have it as the main progression.. not good.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Corruptions was ok but titanforging in BfA (severely nerfed from legion) was probably best iteration in game as it created a variety. Allowed you to use pieces of gear that otherwise would have been a trash.
    I don't think Corruption was good(which you know :P ) but agree that wf/tf in BfA was probably the best iteration of it as you say. I understand the rng it gave and that doesn't always feel good, but a lot less so than Corruption and it was nerfed from Legion as well. I barely noticed it in BfA.

I look forward to Let Loot be Loot, it might backfire but I think it can make it feel more rewarding in some areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me the attraction of Corruption wasn't any particular power (though I did almost clear heroic Ny'alotha with the 30 tank Twilight Devastation/Strength of the Warden Rank 3 combo, hurf hurf) but the notion of having control over how my gear got upgraded, while also being required to balance what got upgraded and when. I could choose a particular upgrade, which piece of gear got it, and I was always piling on more and more corruption resistance, which steadily rolled back the soft cap of Corruption itself on how many upgraded pieces you could have at any given time.

A similar soft cap, maybe one that either restricts how many upgraded pieces you can have equipped (or turns off the bonuses if you exceed that amount, so new gear drops with upgrades are immediately available but their full power may not be) that you can increase week by week, with targeted upgrades and gem-sockets, is what I would think of as the ideal version of this. You can always be working to improving your character. I don't raid mythic and don't really want or expect to, so having the option to trick out your heroic gear fully is attractive for me.

I fucking hate RNG proc gear.

And we've gone from people being able to remember whole loot tables in TBC to people not even being able to remember the names of the items they currently have equipped on their mains in BFA because gearing has become a meaningless lottery with no identity. Items should be set in power, they should be iconic and memorable, they should not be made obsolete the moment a new patch releases.

Unfortunately Shadowlands power creep is just as hilarious as previous expansions so we won't be going back to the golden eras of gearing any time soon.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    No thanks. I just hate having RNG over RNG over RNG on my gear.
    but it was make the game fun, surprise everytime

loot without rng is so boooooooooooooooooooooooooring

oh look a 5th ring of power with the same stat with 0 variation, so much fun, yeah ! (or not :P)

Corruption and Titanforging, both FUCK no...

no loots should be loot simple

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    but it was make the game fun, surprise everytime

loot without rng is so boooooooooooooooooooooooooring

oh look a 5th ring of power with the same stat with 0 variation, so much fun, yeah ! (or not :P)
    ill take no variation least I know when I'm done gearing for a tier fuck the 3 layers of rng each tier

Absolutely not

I hate the new Wow design.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neither but do bring tier bonuses back.

I liked the idea of corruption, powerful perks that come with a punishment of sorts, but the punishments were too weak and could be easily negated and the perks way too strong.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2020-10-18 at 12:05 AM.

I just don't like doubling my dps with such an arbitrary system.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    The basic kiss/curse system and finding the right balance between the two for your character was cool, but the randomization wasn't.

Maybe some sort of special glyphs you can add to your legendaries. Infuse them with the power of the maw, making a deal with the devil kind of thing. But completely deterministic.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    so for 10 months of the last raid you rather have no incentive to raid ? corruption has made 8.3 one of the liveliest end expac tiers ever
    I agree, I actually enjoyed most of 8.3, despite it being so goddamn long, simply because corruption was so fun to farm and theorycraft.

As a pure "last patch" mechanic, I'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    We shall see. The end of anything has been predicted so often - even with gem slots and tier bonus. So yeah, I thing it will depend what Blizzard makes of the data available. Maybe they do skip such systems in SL. (on the other hand, people complained about the system of levelling artifacts, HoA...and yet...here we are in SL and get Soulbinds and more)

...and maybe if they skip systems like corruption...and maybe by patch 8.3 we have this forum complaining how boring gearing is now.

Hell..legendaries for everyone are back after an x-pac without them after ppl complained about them in Legion.
    O I dont think they will jump ship in sl. A blizz dev never reacts to immediate and valid feedback it makes them look bad. What I mean to say is that the expansion after sl will not have these features.
    Last edited by Krakan; 2020-10-18 at 03:10 PM.

Wasn't really a fan. It included the RNG downsides of titanforging without the benefit of being able to push past arbitrary ilevel reqs where people demand the gear level of the content to do the content itself. Plus it being all passive damage doesn't feel that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.