Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

NBC to air Trump Town Hall as direct competition to Biden's Town Hall on ABC.

Boy, is this just scummy.

As we all know, Trump refused to participate in the scheduled 2nd debate for various lame reason so Biden's team set up a Town Hall meeting instead. Well, of course Trump couldn't just let that go so he not only is going to do his own Town Hall, but NBC is going to air it at the exact same time as Biden's. This is the absolute worst kind of politics as entertainment. It's so scummy that a huge number of industry people wrote a letter to NBC's CEO asking them to air it in a different time slot.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/donald-...ya-1234597879/

NBC of course is refusing.

I really hope people don't fall for this and refuse to watch it. I know that is wishful thinking however. Trump is going to get exactly what he wants and turn this into a media shit show and claim some kind of victory if/when his event does better ratings, and it will because people are going to want to watch and see what new lies come spewing outa Trumps cake hole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boycott NBC! #boycottNBC

I'm boycotting NBC.

My demands include flinging Chuck Todd, Mark Burnett, and Al Michaels into the sun.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The only good thing about MSNBC is Hallie Jackson. Maddow’s cool too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Media just trying to create perception of a tight race, to get big Election Day rating... There is no conspiracy... there is no underhanded shenanigans... this is the natural function of our media.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Is there anyone still deciding who they are going to vote for based on this second "debate" anyway? What is even the point of these townhalls if they aren't going to even debate each other? They have had plenty of their own little events/townhalls.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-15 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't fault NBC for caring the town hall. They are journalists. I'm not going to suddenly care about who the MSM gives a platform too, that train left a long time ago.

I find it hilarious that Trump would back out of the debates then think anyone would want to listen to his crusty ass town hall as if people bother watching his rallies anymore. He pussied out so he doesn't get to any attention.

Dont like Trump and want annoy his ego? Don't tune in to his town hall at all. I know people don't plan on watching either put stream Biden's town hall or something in the background for ratings.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Hosting a propaganda hour for a known liar .... is the opposite of journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

NBC is now the Mitt Romney(or any other person that goes groveling to Trump for attention) of Broadcast.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    NBC is now the Mitt Romney(or any other person that goes groveling to Trump for attention) of Broadcast.
    Or their parent company, Comcast, is a GOP donor and they’re giving their candidate a leg up.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on watching it. Will be interesting to find out ( if we ever do ) what the viewer ship numbers will be for that hour, versus the hour when Biden will be having his town hall.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I plan on watching it. Will be interesting to find out ( if we ever do ) what the viewer ship numbers will be for that hour, versus the hour when Biden will be having his town hall.
    Trump will obviously have a higher rating, for the same reason why he is down in the polls.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

It won't be interesting. Trump is gonna win, because it's a mix of circus and car wreck. Like we won't find out the ratings, like wtf is that retarded nonsense?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It won't be interesting. Trump is gonna win, because it's a mix of circus and car wreck. Like we won't find out the ratings, like wtf is that retarded nonsense?
    Different people have different interests. I am sure you have not just now learned that.

Networks rely on viewership for their ratings. More viewership's, the better it looks for them. The only reason NBC is doing this, is for the ratings.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Different people have different interests. I am sure you have not just now learned that.

Networks rely on viewership for their ratings. More viewership's, the better it looks for them. The only reason NBC is doing this, is for the ratings.
    It’s not because they are the most crooked network trying hurt Trump?

So, Trump's too much of a fucking coward to debate, but he'll hold a competing town hall? What a fucking pussy.

You specifically wondered if we would ever find out the viewership. Like wtf is wrong with you? of course we will.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It's just about likes anymore with that guy. GP has certainly become a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Is there anyone still deciding who they are going to vote for based on this second "debate" anyway?
    The polls we saw after the first debate had 1-4% undecided. So techincally millions, but...yeah. Not that many, in context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    So, Trump's too much of a fucking coward to debate, but he'll hold a competing town hall? What a fucking pussy.
    Someone probably explained to him that he needs another debate far more than Biden does and that by running from the second debate and Biden quickly setting up a town hall meant that Biden would have the night to himself to jump up and down on Trumps bloated stomach and Trump couldn't respond.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Ratings matter to them, but they don't mean a fucking thing to the electorate. Who these debates/town halls are ostensibly for, so the "Who got higher ratings!?" game is pretty fucking dumb. Especially since the Republican Convention saw lower ratings than the Democratic Convention, so it's not like I'm saying that because Trump is "winning" in the ratings.

What matters is the content, nothing more. This isn't about ratings for NBC, they're programming it AGAINST the ABC town hall, which means they're going to be competing for eyeballs. The only one that reportedly cares about ratings is Trump, which isn't surprising, and he thinks competing with a Biden town hall will somehow get him higher ratings.

Why the electorate would give a shit about ratings is beyond me, it has no value in informing our decision on who to vote for nor does it help us understand either candidate in any way.