Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Cool How did you pay for WoW as a teen?

Most of us started WoW at a very young age, and we didn't have our own credit cards. How did you pay for WoW when you were young? I basically had a friend pay for me, because he owed me monies. What about you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Most of us started WoW at a very young age, and we didn't have our own credit cards. How did you pay for WoW when you were young? I basically had a friend pay for me, because he owed me monies. What about you?
    I had a allowance from parents till some age. After this i had to pay if off with student work.

You would be suprised how many game card i trow away this year when cleaning a attic. (no idea why i was saving those)

At least 80 or so of those boxes.

I played on private servers.

it was extremely difficult for me as the game hadn't been made yet. I had to make do with Warcraft 2

What do you mean by "most of us"? Pretty sure WoW's player demographic early on was mostly in the 20's-30's. People who had played the RTS games during their own teenage years. Nowadays? It's possible that a larger portion of the players remaining were ones that got sucked in during their teens while the adults aged out of it, but as far as I know the current demographics aren't made public.

Played on private servers for a bit. Then I used my mom's card for about a year. She never noticed. And if she did she never told me anything.

Forgot about those game time cards. I would buy those every time my parents gave me money.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2020-10-15 at 11:00 PM.

My parents paid for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Started playing when I was 25, in 2004. Basically just paid for it out of pocket.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I didn't, that's why I didn't play until Wrath when I had graduated H.S and had a job. If I was four years older, I'd have been able to play Burning Crusade.

Did part time work at local shop and at a local salon. Made a nice tidy £25 every week or two.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Game cards I bought with mowing/yard work money, as well as the occasional gift from my dad.

I was a full ass grown man when I started so it was pretty easy. But I was getting 30 day sub cards for my birthday, christmas, father's day for the first few years i didn6really have to pay until WotLK. Still pissed I forgot to update my card info. I missed one day in billing couldn't get the statue.

Had to explain a lot to my mother. Using a credit card to pay over the internet? That was something revolutionary for her. I had to set up a virtual card tied to her credit card for security reasons. It was difficult to handle.

Wow didn't exist when I was a teen, hell the internet wasn't even really a thing while I was a teen, and when it was available we had to sacrifice a robot to connect.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a part time job at a local card & hobby shop to pay for my Warhammer addiction (yes I got the job there just to use the employee discount to buy even more WH shit). Paying for WoW cut into the WH budget but it was worth it.

My father's paid for it his whole life, even after he stopped playing the game. 10+ years mind you

Started WoW at like 17. I used prepaid game cards until Legion when I finally switched to the credit card cause the difference in price stopped being significant.

I did, however, have some major issues paying for Runescape, which I played since I was 13 years old. Had to beg my father to use his credit card to pay for it. Took quite long but in the end he caved

PS. I had allowance/pocket money / whatever you wish to call it. Didn't even consider this thread was about the source of money. Never had much problem with that as I was mostly playing games at home so I wasn't spending anything for anything else other than sub games.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-10-15 at 11:49 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

It's impressive to me that most answers so far aren't simply, "I had a job."

I started working (part-time) when I was 14, used money from that job later on to pay for wow. $15 was the least of my monthly expense concerns at 16 because I needed to pay for my car upkeep as well.

sadly i honestly dont remember prolly pocket money as i was still in high school when i heard of it

5+ Year Old Account
    A job.
    With my own bank account.
    With a bank card that could be used as a credit card.