Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

One good thing to come from 2020

We have collectively proven that we are resilient and that we can in fact take economic losses and have life go on.

Once we beat COVID, I fully expect mounting pressure on the world's governments to regulate all kinds of pollution and even forcefully close down the biggest polluters if they don't comply with the regulations. If business can survive being shutdown for months, it can survive taking a 10% cut into its profits margins to comply with environmental regulations.

The whole global warming debacle can be solved in 2021.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    We have collectively proven that we are resilient and that we can in fact take economic losses and have life go on.

Once we beat COVID, I fully expect mounting pressure on the world's governments to regulate all kinds of pollution and even forcefully close the biggest polluters if they don't comply with the regulations. If business can survive being shutdown for months, it can survive taking a 10% cut into its profits margins to comply with environmental regulations.

Highly doubtful as it is really not that easy.

Following regulations will not stop major changes due to climate change. It may help to slow it but most people do not have the capability to really collectively make the changes needed to really affect the planet in a positive manner.
    Last edited by Sorensen; 2020-10-18 at 09:07 PM.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

"Buisness" didn't survive being shut down for months. The big companies have plenty of capital to weather such a situation, but many small businesses aren't coming back from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    The government bickered rather than get things done needed to help the economy. They funneled money to large business not in real danger, while the most threatened small business were left to their own devices.

Despite a genuine emergency and the need for competent government intervention, we got corruption and inaction.

Unless the parties responsible are all gone, I see little reason for optimism.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The government bickered rather than get things done needed to help the economy. They funneled money to large business not in real danger, while the most threatened small business were left to their own devices.

Despite a genuine emergency and the need for competent government intervention, we got corruption and inaction.

Agreed. The literal months of negotiation on the current stimulus bill is just one example. I don't know if it's one party or the other on this specific issue, but I'd be happy voting the lot out and starting over. Fuck both parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account

Once we beat COVID, I fully expect mounting pressure on the world's governments to regulate all kinds of pollution and even forcefully close down the biggest polluters if they don't comply with the regulations. If business can survive being shutdown for months, it can survive taking a 10% cut into its profits margins to comply with environmental regulations.

would you like to buy this bridge from me?

You support Trump, he is saying Covid is going away, even though it is ramping up again. And Trump doesn't care about Climate change, in fact his policies are accelerating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything COVID19 was a small scale example of just how dysfunctional governments will fuck up a colossal crisis. And compared to global warming, COVID wasn't shit. We couldn't even get congressional democrats and republicans to put country ahead of politics to help those in need, and you think they'll be better when facing global warming?
    Putin khuliyo

I mean...you know the US pulled out of the Paris Climate accords and the current administration is speedrunning environmental deregulation leading into the election...right?

This is some pretty wishful thinking. The pandemic isn't an environmental issue, and no government is treating it as such.

Sounds almost like PC2...
    The only thing that this year has shown was how unprepared, and unpredictable the world is when dealing with something that requires an immediate response by all.
    And considering the insistence of the sovereignty of nations that won't improve anytime soon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Good things in 2020:
    -SpaceX sent the first private spacecraft to the ISS.
    -Brexit depending on your politics.

The globe will be warming up slightly for decades to come regardless of what is done in 2021, so get used to it during your lifetime. It's not the end of the world or anything.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Nope. And 2020 will be like every other year. Some good and bad things. Depends on who you ask. And humans have endured much, much worse pandemics than Covid-19. A lot worse.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    "Buisness" didn't survive being shut down for months. The big companies have plenty of capital to weather such a situation, but many small businesses aren't coming back from this.
    Yeah.

Amazon, for example, has been allowed to operate unfettered and without any real restrictions. Whereas small businesses that have had their heart and souls poured into them have been forced to close even when they've been taking precautions and implementing social distancing measures.

10+ Year Old Account

That comes at the cost of many lost jobs. But i am all for anti pollution regulations.

It will take hundreds of years for us to be able to go back to a pre-XX century clima. Also, the one who didn't signed the Kyoto agreement was just the world's biggest polluter, the USA.

Nureal Link Elon Musk

10+ Year Old Account
    The only right answer is working from home... which doesn’t mean shit for a large portion of US... it’s like Trump supporters live in another reality... 215000 dead, with numbers expected to climb through the winter, with US government continued to have no plan, but to threaten China... the outlook for 2021, outside of those who think 2020 is just another year (wtf @Ghostpanther), is pretty grim...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post

This is Trump’s problem... they want us to look around and think this is just another year... nothing is wrong... 4 more years of what you see in America right now...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    would you like to buy this bridge from me?
    Don’t say that around Sarah Palin supporters... they might say yes and then spam you asking where to send the money, even after you tell them it’s a joke...

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a prediction, if Trump wins, as I expect (fuck polls)... what you see now, is what you get for 4 more years. Every problem US will face, will be called a hoax and blamed on Trump’s opponent. Trump will continue to lie to the American people, in the name of protecting them, but just making him self rich. Every issue facing Americans will continue to get worse, as Trump points at Wallstreet and corporate profits, to claim it’s all lies made up by his opponents. Until a vaccine, Trump will continue to push dangerous superstitions as a cure to covid and demand people flaunt their state regulations. 100s of thousands of Americans will die, with travel from US being restricted for years.

Last edited by Felya; 2020-10-19 at 01:45 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The only good thing to happen this year is MAS winning the Bolovian elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...you know the US pulled out of the Paris Climate accords and the current administration is speedrunning environmental deregulation leading into the election...right?

This is some pretty wishful thinking. The pandemic isn't an environmental issue, and no government is treating it as such.
    It doesn't matter what they are currently doing. The important thing is that you can mostly shut down the economy and life will go on just fine. Harsh climate regulation, free universal healthcare, any project that universally improves the quality of life for everyone can be done. The only reason they don't seem feasible on paper is because the governments and the big business are terrified of taking minor economic losses. In reality you only need to keep essential services and agriculture running. No one would die if we had less cars, smartphones and other bullshit luxury good.

2020 is proof that humans don't need non-stop economic growth to keep going. Now that we know, it is the time to mount massive pressure on governments to cut the bullshit and solve those issues. Way more progress would be done to tackle climate change if it were measured in daily human lives lost to pollution instead of using abstract metrics.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dude, no...climate has been pushed aside for a huge demand to rebound losses, gain growth, nobody wants to hear mini-me Karen, greta with her "how dare u!" well, WE DARE! PEDAL TO THE METAL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Way more progress would be done to tackle climate change if it were measured in daily human lives lost to pollution instead of using abstract metrics.
    That’s an abstract metric... and when a lot of the country doesn’t give a shit, while government officials scream “liberate”... as 215000 Americans die... I don’t think it would mater, even if you could quantify ‘deaths to climate change’...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Dude, no...climate has been pushed aside for a huge demand to rebound losses, gain growth, nobody wants to hear mini-me Karen, greta with her "how dare u!" well, WE DARE! PEDAL TO THE METAL!
    Indeed... everyone seems to want to hear a 73 year old man insult her...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi