Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Warrior is a fun class to play but rage mechanic is terrible

Vanilla warrior here and I must admit, it's not as bad as it used to.
    I haven't played pve with my warrior in years so I'm mainly talking about pvp and back then, disc priest were a nightmare because they kept you rage starved.

But at least in pvp, I still feel like half of the time I spend waiting on my attack to give me some rage so I can do something.
    Or, you are constantly attacked and swim in rage, but then you either die quickly or the enemy notices you have a healer and changes the target.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong being rage starved almost all the time, but it feels boring compared to my shadow priest who always has something to cast.
    I was hoping there would be some change to it after all these years. It's disappointing to see not much has changed.

There were a number of things Warriors could do to replenish Rage.
    Nowadays, everything is relegated to Charge and autoattacks. Then again, not every class can turn into some kind of Rogue where you build combos with energy and spend combos.

Redesigning the Warrior is not an easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Nowadays, everything is relegated to Charge and autoattacks. Then again, not every class can turn into some kind of Rogue where you build combos with energy and spend combos.

Well, they could reduce slam's damage a bit and make that our rage generator on top of our auto attack; waiting around feels weird.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

15+ Year Old Account
    Why not just remove rage and let us hit things without needing to use rage?
    I don't see how useful rage is.
    Sure some skills like execute would have to be reworked, but to be honest, I never spam buttons as much on a character as in my warrior. I spam them and nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post

Sure it is. Just change it back to how it was before they redesigned Warriors back in WOD. Change it back to how it was in Wrath and the problem fixes itself. Part of the reason I refuse to play retail now is that they redesigned all the classes that I played and made them worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Well, they could reduce slam's damage a bit and make that our rage generator on top of our auto attack; waiting around feels weird.
    This, Slam is terrible as is.
    The most unsatisfying bitton there is in the warrior's toolkit.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Or, you are constantly attacked and swim in rage,
    They already have solved this by giving Ignore Pain to dps warriors. Especially for pvp it is great since you may have a lot of rage but nothing to attack in melee.
    Just press IP, it is off-GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Why not just remove rage and let us hit things without needing to use rage?
    I don't see how useful rage is.
    Sure some skills like execute would have to be reworked, but to be honest, I never spam buttons as much on a character as in my warrior. I spam them and nothing happens.
    They should make the Rage bar like an ult counter in Overwatch. Fill up the bar, then blow it on some OP shit. Not just another generic builder/spender mechanic.

As someone who has played Rockbiter/Boulderfist Enhancer Shaman for years, you don't want that.

Having to spam your brains out on wet noodle trash filler abilities to actually do something is god awful, like at that point you're basically manually autoattacking and trust me, it doesn't feel great to get carpal tunnel after a 1 hour session of play with 80% of your button presses coming from the bottom 20% of your dps contributors.

Waiting on AAs is stale and probably shouldn't be a thing in a 2020 game anymore, but the opposite end of the spectrum where you're GCD locked yet only like every tenth GCD actually does something isn't fun either. Like, I'd actually rather wait and run in circles or wand than pressing 10 Frostbolts just to get a single proc for an ability that actually does damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    As someone who has played Rockbiter/Boulderfist Enhancer Shaman for years, you don't want that.

Having to spam your brains out on wet noodle trash filler abilities to actually do something is god awful, like at that point you're basically manually autoattacking and trust me, it doesn't feel great to get carpal tunnel after a 1 hour session of play with 80% of your button presses coming from the bottom 20% of your dps contributors.

Waiting on AAs is stale and probably shouldn't be a thing in a 2020 game anymore, but the opposite end of the spectrum where you're GCD locked yet only like every tenth GCD actually does something isn't fun either. Like, I'd actually rather wait and run in circles or wand than pressing 10 Frostbolts just to get a single proc for an ability that actually does damage.
    Mate I spam abilities anyway, it's just that nothing happens.

5+ Year Old Account
    Rage can be kinda stupid at times. I always feel like a badass when I am on my warriors. Tearing apart peoples faces and saying "SHUT UP EVIL! WAHBAM!" (If anyone gets the reference. I love ya.) But I do sometimes feel rage starved. It was worse in BFA, (Not sure how it is now) But honestly. I don't want it to be replaced. I wanna be a angry barbarian.

Gasparde is right, spamming abilities is unhealthy for the player and unrewarding.

The whole reason the community feel like most abilities from every specs hit like wet noodles is exactly because we have too much abilities to press, too much ressources to spend, too much procs all the time. Yet people always want to spam abilities all the time and to get 50% haste with that. It's useless and unhealthy.

Slam feels bad to use? Good, it serves its exact purpose, it's a filler. If Slam was strong itself then Blizzard would have to nerf Mortal Strike in exchange, or Overpower or something else. Having a shit button or two is exactly what makes it possible for your good abilities to shine, this is simple game design and balancing, you must accept it.

Finally, having a few gaps in your DPS rotation makes your spec objectively stronger. Yes, objectively, litterally. Because you can then use these small gaps to use utility spells without losing too much damage. Having small gaps in your rotation allows you to use Rallying Cry, Piercing Howl, Stormbolt, etc, without losing too much so you don't feel punished for using your whole toolkit and outplaying the game / your opponents.

If anything, being GCD capped would feel horrible because everyone you would use an ability like Disarm or Stormbolt, you would lose damage to the guy who is mindlessly spamming his DPS rotation without any second thought or tactics and THAT would feel truly horrible and unrewarding.

Small gaps in rotation are fucking amazing, embrace them and love them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Small gaps in rotation are fucking amazing, embrace them and love them.

Lol what... is this nonsense. I've dealt with bigger rotation gaps...no thanks.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    They should make the Rage bar like an ult counter in Overwatch. Fill up the bar, then blow it on some OP shit. Not just another generic builder/spender mechanic.
    Both of those things are the same mechanic with a different cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Both of those things are the same mechanic with a different cooldown.
    It feels way different.

So basically you want two fury warrior specs? How is it that when things dont work the same way people want it to be more alike?
    And then everyone starts complaining about how every spec feels the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by pzijderv View Post
    So basically you want two fury warrior specs? How is it that when things dont work the same way people want it to be more alike?
    And then everyone starts complaining about how every spec feels the same again.
    On that note rampage isn't exactly impressive. Another master of wet noodle strikes.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

I understand your complaints. I need you to understand your complaint is about something inherent to warriors. They are not warriors without the rage mechanic. Therefore you should play a class that is not a warrior.

- - - Updated - - -

It feels way different.
    Game design is nothing but feel.

Fury can always press something. Arms can't(usually), and that's by design. If your resource doesn't limit you, it has no reason to exist. It's the same reason energy specs generally aren't GCD capped(and generally shouldn't be).

- - - Updated - - -

So in other words Rampage? The ult counter is literally a builder/spender system, the spending is just significantly less frequent. You know, like your DPS CDs in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Lol what... is this nonsense. I've dealt with bigger rotation gaps...no thanks.
    Having some specs with gaps in the rotation is healthy for the game, because it means you have more design space to create different specs. Being efficient with limited resources(because you only have so many, but you have more than enough GCDs to spend them, think Feral/Subtlety/Assassination when they're not currently being ruined by borrowed power flooding them with resources) vs being efficient with GCDs(because you have things you can press every GCD but need to prioritize what to press to avoid/minimize gaps, think Enhancement or Ret), or somewhere in between.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I like the Arms rage mechanic, and the swingtimer has become a permanent fixture and part of the gameplay flow. That said it wouldn't hurt if they did some minor things to improve rage flow. The thing is I think the whole spec is poorly designed, BFA Arms design was shite after coming from Legion where it just flowed and worked well across a wide range (wasn't a fan of sweeping strikes implementation tho), no idea why they decided to Arms was a spec to mostly leave as is after BFA.

The spec is just janky as hell, I will never understand the logic of Whirlwind and how it exists currently, nor why they thought Fervor was a good talent idea.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2020-12-29 at 12:22 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4