Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by notJoyful View Post
    I have no idea where you're from, but as someone that is somewhat "young" in current stockholm, no one really thinks of America as the country to take their leads from. In the school system and most work places, it's just something that is frowned down upon (IE, not something you should do for obvious reasons.....), but not something that will get you fired.
    I'm from Finland, my ex-girlfriend lived in Stockholm and I visit Sweden many times every year and I can say that you're 100% full of shit.

  2. #102
    Brewmaster Magical Mudcrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    All across Nirn.
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I shouldn't have to explain to you why the word matters in situations like this - its basic common sense. If you're pissed off and the first word you go to is nigger, or kyke, or chink or whatever other explicitly racist term you can think of, that is not an impulse or a 'eh just an expletive' moment.

    You are trying to defend something that cannot be defended. Do yourself a favor and stop.
    There seems to be a major disconnect here, and you're fundamentally not understanding anything I've said. I've been very clear that people should not use those words and should seek to either (1) resolve their anger issues which are causing them to should explicatives for no reason or (2) remove words considered problematic from their "dictionary" and train habits in which they use less offensive words when raging.

    My contention isn't that people should stop using the words.
    My contention isn't that people should look to not have momentary outbursts of rage.
    My contention is that a person isn't necessarily intending to be racist when they say something that is offensive.

    When I ask for more content in your response, it is because I want to understand why you believe what you do. I can understand viewpoints like what Sooba responded to me with, which is sort of an intent vs. effect argument; the effect you produce by using those words is racist, therefore the action is racist regardless of intent. I have some minor contention with that, but I don't think what I've said is supporting flippant usage of the word.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

  3. #103
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    15,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    So I guess black people are racist since they call each other that all the time? Either a word is offensive and no one uses it or it isn’t and anyone can use it. Can’t have it both ways.

    I have zero issues with homosexuals. I use the word fag all the time including to gay friends. Know how many fucks they or anyone else give?

    Zero because they’re not sensitive snowflakes looking to be offended.
    many black people find it offensive even when other black people use it yes, this isn't some new thing either there is no shortage of media bemoaning black people using it with luke cage being an example just a couple of years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RYAcjUV-4

  4. #104
    There was this one incident in-game that happened in my guild chat like a few years ago (I am with the same guild for like 3 maybe 4 years now). I don't know word for word but this is what happened... It's kind of related to the OT:

    What happened was that there was this new person who joined the guild... I don't know if the GM invited him or a friend invited them or even just a random from the trade chat or something lol. But anyway, I think it happened the same day he joined but basically he called something that happened to him in-game "gay", which was obviously apparent that the term was used to call whatever happened to him bad. I told him right away in guild chat that I would prefer that he not say the word "gay" in regards to something bad or use it in a bad connotation (I have been the victim of this type of name-calling all through my school years and it does take its toll on you mentally, even though they are just words... But a naive and non-mature mind of a teenager would not be able to reason that this name-calling should not be taken personally).

    I believe then he said something to the effect that he can say whatever he wants whenever he feels like it and he, I think, admitted that he was indeed using the word "gay" to call something bad. I re-iterated to him that it is offensive and he should not use that in guild chat. And I think what next happened was a bit shocking to me at the time (I was really naïve and didn't know people like this exist everywhere). He said in the guild chat, that he is not going to be in guild anymore, especially where it is not allowed for him to say whatever he wants whenever he feels like it. He said this the same day he joined and then /gquit.

    I was also kind of new to the guild, like maybe been in the guild for a few months, but I kind of thought that "I" said something wrong. I actually apologized to everyone in the guild chat right after for making him leave the guild because of what I said. Other people chimed in saying that I did nothing wrong and agreed with me that it was offensive and should not be said in that way in guild chat (or anywhere else for that matter). Also, the GM was online at the time so she did read everything that happened. She told me that I don't need to apologize for someone else who thinks that being offensive in whatever way he wants is acceptable behaviour. I still remember that my ears were burning at the time this whole event happened. I thought I was gonna get gkicked because maybe I might have made someone's friend in the guild who might be the GM's friend leave because of what I said lol. I was really fond of that guild at that time and still love the guild to this day so I definitely did not want to leave the guild or even get gkicked for something that would be considered actually my fault (Mind you I was at that time very naive to these supposed like everyday RL happenings). I personally don't like to make people feel offended or feel bad by what something I might have said and they take a sudden or abrupt reaction to it afterwards, or even to the people/bystanders present at the time to make them feel uncomfortable in any way in that kind of situation. Basically, I don't like to disappoint anyone or anyone's perspective they might have about me.

    Sorry for the lengthy post lol. I just felt like what happened to me might be related to the OT . I realized that there do exist people who might have done something bad but they don't accept or feel any kind of remorse for what they might have done because they feel that their action was somehow justified/acceptable or not really something to be offended by.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    This is a dumb strawman. People understand that actions have consequences. They just disagree on what those consequences should entail.
    Oh yeah. I meant that like people do not understand that whatever bad action they might have taken, that they are completely in the right but get mad when there are consequences for those bad actions. They think that whatever they have done is acceptable and should not be held accountable for that action because they, in the first place, don't think that what they did was wrong even though it's blatantly wrong.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    rape and murder entier civilizations in the name of exploration etc.
    We technically still do this but just not in the name of exploration.

  6. #106
    They're way to hard on pvpers but lenient as hell on the pve side of the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    many black people find it offensive even when other black people use it yes, this isn't some new thing either there is no shortage of media bemoaning black people using it with luke cage being an example just a couple of years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RYAcjUV-4
    I'm black and I think its offensive but give them a chance to change... People make mistakes and indefinite ban is to far.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    We technically still do this but just not in the name of exploration.
    Yeah you ain't wrong.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexh View Post
    Tips for surviving Cancel Culture

    - Always assume you’re being recorded
    - Use common sense
    - Don’t be sexist
    - Don’t be racist

    It’s EZ

    Or just be black and you can get away with most shit, if a white guy said what nick cannon has said,he would be fucking murdered, straight-up black supremacy, racism, anti-semitic.

    Black athlete tweeting anti-semitic shit? no problem, just apology and it's ok. if a white athlete would tweet anti-semitic messages, you can bet your life that he would be suspended.
    Last edited by wladimir89; 2020-10-19 at 10:24 PM.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Pvp is toxic, more news at 11. Doesn't make them racist snowflake you've probably dropped n word and fag as much as the rest of us. Welcome to the internet . If my private conversations amongst friends were recorded we would probably be in prison because of retards who take shit seriously.
    Sorry, but if you think folks are throwing the n-word around all willy nilly... just because you are... you're sadly mistaken. And the fact that in your private conversations you say it, but you won't say it publically, means you're a coward and a racist.

  10. #110
    Bloodsail Admiral DaHomieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,182
    Who and who?

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by wladimir89 View Post
    Or just be black and you can get away with most shit, if a white guy said what nick cannon has said he would be fucking murdered, straight-up black supremacy, racism, anti-semitic.

    Black athlete tweeting anti-semitic shit? no problem just apology and it's ok. if a white athlete would tweet anti-semitic messages you can bet your life that he would be suspended.
    There's no double standards there. Nick Cannon WAS FIRED for making anti-semitic remarks. Also news flash, you can and will find rotten individuals from all ethnicities, it's a human trait.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Pvp is toxic, more news at 11. Doesn't make them racist snowflake you've probably dropped n word and fag as much as the rest of us. Welcome to the internet . If my private conversations amongst friends were recorded we would probably be in prison because of retards who take shit seriously.
    This exactly. People need to get over "bad words". We all use them and by outraging every time someone says these words people give them even more power.

  13. #113
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    159
    I don't think people realize this but it's much more common than you'd think on EU servers. I'd have to ditch a majority of my friends if I ever wanted to stream. It hasn't really ever been part of my vocabulary (which I find strange rather than feeling thankful for) but I've grown so accustomed to it over the years I don't even flinch anymore. Ever been to Eastern Europe?

    Regardless (not having seen the video) it's likely just words thrown into open air, as long as they're not used to actively abuse anyone I don't see the fuzz.

  14. #114
    Brewmaster Ticj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah, I haven't said it since I was in middle school trying to look cool. IM 29 now.
    Same, stopped using those words when I grew up.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    I don't think people realize this but it's much more common than you'd think on EU servers. I'd have to ditch a majority of my friends if I ever wanted to stream. It hasn't really ever been part of my vocabulary (which I find strange rather than feeling thankful for) but I've grown so accustomed to it over the years I don't even flinch anymore. Ever been to Eastern Europe?

    Regardless (not having seen the video) it's likely just words thrown into open air, as long as they're not used to actively abuse anyone I don't see the fuzz.
    You should check the video. It was definately not "just words thrown into open air" nor should words like that ever be.

    White people don't decide for black people if n-bomb is racist or not or downplay it.
    Men don't get to decide what's misogynistic or not.
    Healthy people don't decide what's ableist and what's not.

    It's fucking easy.

  16. #116
    Epic! Bwonsamdi the Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    De Other Side (Just kidding) Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    I'm black and I think its offensive but give them a chance to change... People make mistakes and indefinite ban is to far.
    Yeah an infinite ban is a bit too extreme, I think a 3 day one so they can maybe cool down would be better but YMMV

    I'm a Girl by the way
    I see dead people.... Yes, kinda my ting, ya know

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Oishi View Post
    Wait we're all just making mouth sounds so why are you even here?

    Edit: Tolerence of intolerance breeds more intolerance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
    It's funny because that paradox is so clichéd yet doesn't really support the argument 90% of the people that use it nowadays make.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Do you actually believe that most people use the n-word when they're angry? Really? I've never heard someone who I didn't already consider a little bit racist use the n-word in real life.
    What about black people? They say it all the time...

  19. #119
    How do they justify banning them for something they said on Twitch and not in the game? Or did he whisper someone that? I know they can ban for any reason at all but did they do anything IN GAME?

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablelol View Post
    How do they justify banning them for something they said on Twitch and not in the game? Or did he whisper someone that? I know they can ban for any reason at all but did they do anything IN GAME?
    I don't think they're banned from the game but competitions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •