Phone as pc remote with sound output?

Ok, so i tried different ways of phrasing this for google searches, but i didn't find what i was looking for. Basically, what i'm asking is if there is a way to control my pc using my phone (i pretty much already know that this is possible) but also have the sound of whatever i'm watching stream to my phone, so i can silently watch with headphones in?

Dont know about special programs for this, but ive seen guy play classic over Team Viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Ok, so i tried different ways of phrasing this for google searches, but i didn't find what i was looking for. Basically, what i'm asking is if there is a way to control my pc using my phone (i pretty much already know that this is possible) but also have the sound of whatever i'm watching stream to my phone, so i can silently watch with headphones in?
    Kludgy but will 100% work:

Steamlink.

You can exit Big Picture Mode from within the Steamlink app, it will then drop you to the Windows (or MacOS) Desktop. When you are using Steamlink, whatever is going over the link to Steamlink still displays on your PC screen.

THe sound, however, will still go to the Steamlink client (I.E. your phone). And you can control your PC via the Steamlink client as well.

My wife uses this via an actual Steamlink hardware to stream her Mac daily driver desktop to a spare TV in her sewing room so she can watch whatever videoes/play music, etc, without having to have a computer in there.

Depending on what content you're using your PC to watch, you might find it more convenient to simply get a Roku - their remotes natively support exactly what you're talking about (you can just plug phones into the remote) AND the Phone app (that acts as a remote) offers the same functionality. You can get the 4K Streaming Stick for like 40$.

Edit:

Also, check out the new Google dongle ("Chromecast with Google TV" i think they called it - its just Android TV with a different skin) - is 50$; if the remote offers this functionality (not sure if it does) you can simply get Steamlink for it and then stream your PC to your TV that way (for gaming or whatever else) and itll do exactly what you want. And Android TV is honestly kicking ass right now.

I love my nVidia Shield TV; while it is definitely higher end than Google's new dongle, the new dongle is more than powerful enough to handle the ATV Steamlink client, and the experience is otherwise the same.

Further edit: The remote itself does not do audio passthrough... but the Android TV Remote app for your phone DOES.

So, you could use the new Google dongle to use Steamlink to stream your PC to your TV (like i said, not just for games; just exit Big Picture Mode and poof, whole-PC streaming), and then use the Android TV Remote app on your phone to send the sound to your earphones.

And you get a great first-party Android TV streaming dongle.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-10-27 at 11:20 PM.