Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Storm Peaks - make more zones like this.

Just leveled through The Storm Peaks. It was awesome. It feels like a Giant Ice World and the way that flying is integrated into the zone is amazing. Blizzard should in my opinion make more zones like The Storm Peaks based on flying.

Agree.. disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Just leveled through The Storm Peaks. It was awesome. It feels like a Giant Ice World and the way that flying is integrated into the zone is amazing. Blizzard should in my opinion make more zones like The Storm Peaks based on flying.

Agree.. disagree?
    i disagree. but just bc of own taste. i hate winter zones (ice, snow, etc) and i hated storm peak especially.

but thats all subjective and based on taste and since that zone has nothing special objectively, there will be not much to discuss in this thread.

so, what you expected with that thread ? 2 sites of single word posts that say „agree“ or „disagree“ before the thread fades into nowhereland ? and than ?

hell, do at least a poll, if just asking for plain personal taste...
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-10-25 at 09:50 AM.

Agreed. Almost every expansion has these ambitious and amazing zones, in WotLK it was Storm Peaks, in Cataclysm it was Deepholme, in Legion it was Suramar, where you really feel how massive and gigantic a zone can be. Unfortunately verticality in WoW can't be used very good due to the limited options to reach higher places (run or fly). Guild Wars 2 implemented verticality in an MMORPG flawlessly with its gliders and different mount types.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

You needed flying for 2 quest chains afaik.
    Are you just parroting Preach here? This is one of his lines that sounds like a broken record after all those years.
    Last edited by Nightstalker; 2020-10-25 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Agreed. Almost every expansion has these ambitious and amazing zones, in WotLK it was Storm Peaks, in Cataclysm it was Deepholme, in Legion it was Suramar, where you really feel how massive and gigantic a zone can be. Unfortunately verticality in WoW can't be used very good due to the limited options to reach higher places (run or fly). Guild Wars 2 implemented verticality in an MMORPG flawlessly with its gliders and different mount types.
    thats the perfect example for the uselessness of this thread. you go like „in WotLK it was Storm Peak, in Cata Deepholme, in Legion Suramar...“

know what ? not for me. not in the slightest. thats just your personal taste and i see no metric why these zones should be special and should reflect that oppinion by thousands or millions out there. i personally think Suramar was a giant copy paste Zone that give max level chars endless useless quests to give them something to do, by the cheapest way possible. do it again on 1 alt (even today) and it is the best in game „feature“ to get you vomit.

look: in cata for me the most special zone was Vashjir. and, in contrast to many others, i loved it. what we can say here is:
    - objectively it was special, because first underwater zone in game.
    - subjectively for me it was great.
    - subjectively for others it sucked.

now, what does this say, objectively about your Cata Deepholm Zone ?
    Nothing.

This thread is imho completely useless.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-10-25 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    i disagree. but just bc of own taste. i hate winter zones (ice, snow, etc) and i hated storm peak especially.

but thats all subjective and based on taste and since that zone has nothing special objectively, there will be not much to discuss in this thread.

so, what you expected with that thread ? 2 sites of single word posts that say „agree“ or „disagree“ before the thread fades into nowhereland ? and than ?

Is everything alright at home, Karen?

How sad your life should be to answer in a threat you dislike that much. Grow up.
    Last edited by Nork; 2020-10-25 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post

How sad your life should be to answer in a post you dislike that much. Grow up.
    ok. /10chars

i think with „post“ you meant „thread“, Karen.

My personal focus was more on the flying part, than the ice part. The shape of the zone. It doesn't have to be an ice/winter world at all.

To answer your question: I expect a bunch of creative minded individual start throwing out ideas of how they would imagine future zones to be like

- - - Updated - - -

thats the perfect example for the uselessness of this thread. thats just your personal taste.

This thread is imho completely useless.
    I'm sorry you find the thread useless. The point was actually to hear about people's personal taste for what they like in a zone (potentially a flying zone).

It is really a subjective topic. I don't expect any facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask for it in official forums, not here. None of Activision employers are here and you wasting your and our time.

Agree.. disagree?
    yeah I remember when they just made some zones with flying in mind instead of banning it for 6-12 months and designing zones to be terrible to travel via ground mount

all the terrain in every zone since Legion has been awful

7+ Year Old Account
    I would love zones that used verticality more and Storm Peaks is one of my favourites.
    Vasj'ir is another though it was underwater it still offered an interesting use of vertical space.

Thumbs up for more zones using flying as a medium to create large interesting spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    You needed flying for 2 quest chains afaik.
    Are you just parroting Preach here? This is one of his lines that sounds like a broken record after all those years.
    To me it seemed like most of the quests in the zone would be almost impossible without flying. I don't know.

The thread has nothing to do with Preach. I didn't even knew that he had that opinion. I just played through Storm Peaks and thought that it was an awesome style of zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Ask for it in official forums, not here. None of Activision employers are here and you wasting your and our time.
    I'm interested in people's opinion about zones like this. No time is wasted

No, the flying doesn't add anything to the Storm Peaks experience.

I mean, wouldn't it be a lot cooler, if you had to scale Thorim's mountain like the giant dragon mountain in Skyrim? Instead of hopping on your Sky Golem and just pressing an autorun button until you're there?

If the whole zone was progressed by slowly scalling this giant mountain? now that's a zone design we need in WoW. Vertical, yes, but not because of flying. Because, and it's been said many times before, flying complete breaks any game immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    No, the flying doesn't add anything to the Storm Peaks experience.

I mean, wouldn't it be a lot cooler, if you had to scale Thorim's mountain like the giant dragon mountain in Skyrim? Instead of hopping on your Sky Golem and just pressing an autorun button until you're there?

If the whole zone was progressed by slowly scalling this giant mountain? now that's a zone design we need in WoW. Vertical, yes, but not because of flying. Because, and it's been said many times before, flying complete breaks any game immersion.
    That's definitely I cool idea. I would like to climb a mountain while questing. We almost did that in High Mountain in Legion and that was pretty awesome too.

I don't agree that flying break game immersion. I was just very immersed while playing through storm peaks even though I flew from A to B. But that's just my opinion

ok. /10chars

i think with „post“ you meant „thread“, Karen.
    I think when you write ,,thread" you meant "thread". Learn to use quotation marks.

100% agreed. By far one of my favorite zones in WoW and any MMO I've played. The lore, scale, music, and aesthetic are truly epic. It also features some great factions, cultures, and NPCs. Like the Frost Dwarves, Sons of Hodir, and Xarantaur (a 1,000+ year old Tauren blessed by Nozdormu). Super cool place to quest in for sure.

Agree.. disagree?
    Definitely agree, also you should add a poll.

Personally that is what i dislike the most about pathfinder: it lets them get away with mediocre zone design, making the game that much more disappointing as zones just fall flat when flying used to make them so much more awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post

How sad your life should be to answer in a post you dislike that much. Grow up.
    Also best response, heh.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh. I'll pass. Flying being required for stuff is just annoying most of the time as it makes areas purposefully a pain in the ass to Navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Definitely agree, also you should add a poll.

Personally that is what i dislike the most about pathfinder: it lets them get away with mediocre zone design, making the game that much more disappointing as zones just fall flat when flying used to make them so much more awesome.
    Storm Peaks is the epitome of mediocre zone design though. Just sheer cliffs surrounding disjointed, generic flat areas.

Storm Peaks isn't one of my favorite zones or anything but I'd say it puts Icecrown to shame as an epic 'last zone of the expansion'.