Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

BFA - The most expensive WoW expansion.

World of Warcraft expansion release dates in NA for perspective.

(Timeline summarized from https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Time...d_of_Warcraft))

Vanilla : 11/23/2004 (26 months)
    TBC : 01/16/2007 (22 months)
    WoTLK : 11/13/2008 (25 months)
    Cata : 12/07/2010 (22 months)
    MoP : 09/25/2012 (26 months)
    WoD : 11/13/2014 (21 months)
    Legion : 08/30/2016 (22 months)
    BFA : 08/14/2018 (Already 26 months)
    SdwL : 10/27/2020 (delayed - TBD)

To put in some perspective, BFA is already the longest expansion in WoW history (even before the Shadowlands release delay). This also makes it the most expensive WoW expansion (from the subbed customer POV in WoW history.)
    Understandably, 2020 is an extremely challenging year for lot of businesses due to COVID-19. So, some amount of delay is expected.

8.3 Nyalotha patch was released in Jan 14, 2020 and it was announced shortly after that that there would be no 8.3.5. Given that Shadowlands is at least a month away, we have effectively paid around 150+ USD for just the 8.3 content. That's an extremely steep price for even a very premium game.

For reference a AAA XBOX or PS game costs $79.00.

2020 has been tough year for consumers as well; a lot of people have lost their jobs and are taking bail outs. How do you justify maintaining a sub through this with the uncertainty of when the next expansion is? At this point, the logical step financially seems to be to just unsub and sub back in when SL is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have to have the expension to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post

(Timeline summarized from https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Time...d_of_Warcraft))

To put in some perspective, BFA is already the longest expansion in WoW history (even before the Shadowlands release delay). This also makes it the most expensive WoW expansion (from the subbed customer POV in WoW history.)
    Understandably, 2020 is an extremely challenging year for lot of businesses due to COVID-19. So, some amount of delay is expected.

8.3 Nyalotha patch was released in Jan 14, 2020 and it was announced shortly after that that there would be no 8.3.5. Given that Shadowlands is at least a month away, we have effectively paid around 150+ USD for just the 8.3 content. That's an extremely steep price for even a very premium game.

2020 has been tough year for consumers as well; a lot of people have lost their jobs and are taking bail outs. How do you justify maintaining a sub through this with the uncertainty of when the next expansion is? At this point, the logical step financially seems to be to just unsub and sub back in when SL is released.
    You look at game prices very oddly, I look at my entertainment as $1.00/ Hour So in a console game or stand alone non sub game I usually can get 50-70 Hours of enjoyment out of it to make it cost effective, but when you look at WOW you spend $15.00/ Month in which I only need to play 15 hours to get the enjoyment and I play 2-3 hours a night so in a weeks time I have played all I need to to make it cost effective anything above and beyond that is like free game time to me.

How do you justify maintaining a sub through this with the uncertainty of when the next expansion is?
    People usually unsub when they're not having fun anymore, cmon man you don't need to ask this question

With the hours I've clocked in this expansion I could have finished 25-40 AAA games. And I actually finished 10ish. COVID silver linings..

Or got a new degree... which is sad now that I mention it.

Anyway I pay with gold.
    Last edited by ReVnX; 2020-10-28 at 05:39 PM.

Speak for yourself, this expansion has cost me less than any pre-legion.

Also for reference AAA xbox or ps games don't often have content added throughout the cycle until a new product or expansion is released. comparing the amount isn't exactly a fair comparison. comparing the amount of hours of entertainment you get from that sub is better when comparing it to the playtime you'r engrossed in said AAA games,which vary from game to game.
    Last edited by [Apok]; 2020-10-28 at 05:41 PM.

I wish i could get pay a subscription for actually interesting troll threads.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I had dinner at a decent restaurant tonight and my bill was about $200.

If you don't wanna pay a $15 sub then just unsubscribe. It amazes me how WoW players turn this into a whole court case.

I say this as someone who quit a long time ago (but I actually stay subbed to ESO because I enjoy the game and I don't count how much $$$ I spend in between expansions).

Considering you can unsub at any time or pay for it with gold I do not factor sub price into the cost of an expansion. But rather the box price only so in actually BFA as the longest wow expansion is the CHEAPEST wow expansion for your money to date not the most expensive.

If only they allowed you to cancel the sub once you're done with the content. Oh wait.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Since you’re comparing final raid patches I know for a fact that Wrath, Cata, MoP and WoD all had longer final patches. And yeah Wrath did get that raid right at the end but it was barely a raid

To me, August 2016 to august 2018 is 24 months. Or if you don't want to count august 30th as a month, its still 23 months when you start counting in september 2016

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this thread is even more of a ridiculous stretch than I thought it would be from the title.

That's kind of impressive.

And talk about cheap spin. You could also have titled this thread "BfA is the longest-lasting WoW expansion" or "BfA is the most durable WoW expansion" with the exact same info. But instead you go for this really sad attempt at negativity with "BfA is the most-expensive WoW expansion", which is just laughable. It's not even true unless you subbed the whole time, either, which most of the haters swear blind that they didn't.

Plus WoW is a very cheap way to pass time. Yeah, an AAA game might be $59-$79, but if it's not multiplayer, it probably lasts you about 10-40 hours, and if it is, it might only double that. Even with the sub, WoW tends to work out well, as compared to repeatedly buying AAA games, if that's the comparison.

I know from experience that this is true, because if just check my bank statements, I spend about 3x as much on games (or more) when I'm not playing WoW, on a per-month basis.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

BFA - The Most Trash Expansion
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Not true. 26*15 is 390. You are accurate in that for 26 months of vanilla and 26 months of BFA you would have spent $390.

However, you are not accounting for inflation. $390 in 2020 is the same as $520 in 2005. Therefore, BFA's cost, presuming you were subbed the entirety of vanilla and BFA, is $130 cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I haven't paid a single cent in subs since the token's been out, I'm gonna say NOPE

At this point, the logical step financially seems to be to just unsub and sub back in when SL is released.
    Correct. You play until you've completed the content you're interested in or are no longer engaged by the content. Then you unsubscribe.

News flash: Another whiny thread from a player who's brain is so fucking tiny he wouldn't understand the impact of Covid-19 on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Since I haven't paid a single cent in subs since the token's been out, I'm gonna say NOPE
    same. why pay with cash when literally everything drops so much gold you dont have to pay cash to sub?

What a stupid way to calculate how expensive the game is lol. If you're not having fun, then simply unsub... comparing wow's sub to AAA games is also riddiculous. 90% of these games are completely finished in ~2 weeks and then you're done with it forever. WoW costs 15$ per month and you can have an entire month of fun by this sum.