Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Azeroth is Elune? Shadowlands spoilers, reader beware.

I have recently been going through all the new information shadowlands presents us, and I have started to get the suspicion that Azeroth herself might be Elune, and more so I believe she might be the Titan equivalent of Sarg/Zovaal. This would explain why both have said they want to kill her/feared her to degree, as she would be on the same tier as them, a Paragon of their Cosmic force so to speak.

As for why I think Azeroth might be Elune there have been a lot of hints that Elune is a higher power, but she hasn't been clearly defined, and has had limited impact, namely to the forces on Azeroth/the people of Azeroth. As an embryonic Titan, she would have limited powers, would have limited capabilities to express those powers, and would thus be silent most of the time unless it was crucial she displays her power. It would also explain why the old golds want her/could use to bring an uber old god into the cosmos, as she is vulnerable Paragon entity unlike Sarg/Zovaal.

The discussion over if this is her first birth or a rebirth are interesting, with me leaning towards rebirth. Shadowlands has given us a lot of interesting lore, why are we maw-walkers? Why did Zovaal put so much effort into OUR world (helm of dom/Arthas Sword/Slyvannas power up)? Why his need to capture the leaders of the world, namely Anduin? Also why does the Azeroth wild gods, the emerald dream, have such a close connection to one of the 4 primary realms of Shadowlands in Ardenwaeld? To me this makes me think we are maw-walkers because Azeroth/Elune has a deep connection with Shadowlands, namely she was one of "The firsts" we have heard about, as in she was one of the first beings to exist when the metacosmos was created. As a Paragon of the Order realm, I think she was instrumental in laying down the foundations of how the universe works, I think she worked with the paragon of light to push out the paragon of the old gods, which is why only the lesser old gods can get in. I believe she helped set up the realm of death and nature, which is reflective in why Azeroth has so many connections to these realms.

However all this work came at a cost, and when exhausted from this work Zovaal who unhappy with his place made a play that jeopardized all of existence. Using the last of her powers she would fought against him with the 4 leaders of the covenants to imprison him in the maw. This however was too much for her, and knowing her time was coming to sleep/rebirth, she left part of her power as the Arbiter to replace Zovaal as judge of the dead, while also to ensure his prison stayed locked. This also lends credence to The Winter Queens comments about her sister pet when speaking of Ysera, as she could recognize the work of Elune/Azeroth in saving Ysera and sending her to Ardenwaeld, while being annoyed because now the forces/races of Azeroth/her sister might be undoing the bonds and freeing Zovaal (yes we are trying to stop that, but lets face it homeboy is pretty close to getting out).

This also connects to why the force of light is so prominent on Azeroth and has had notable wielders of it as Azeroth was a close companion of the light when creating order in the universe, so they have taken a hand in watching over her and blessing the inhabitants of her world (and if you want to cynical, trying to influence her by proxy via said mortals, could use the same logic and apply it to most of the 6 cosmic forces).

Sorry for being a bit all over, but as this is a topic spanning a lot of the wow lore kind of had random tangents, and yes I realize their are holes in the theory, their are also a lot of holes in Blizzard lore, and this theory would allow blizzard to fairly present why Azeroth/Elune/inhabitants of Azeroth are so powerful, and why they are continously now reaching into the metacosmos at large.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

so, since Sargeras Stabbed Azeroth, Elune's power kind of diminished, thus Tyrande wondering why did Elune forsake her people

but there is quest in Ardenweald, which emntions, that Elune is worshipepd on other planet(s) as well, having Night Warrior there
    also Eonar's spirit was hidden on planet Eonaria. why name Planet after unborn titan of another planet?

Quote Originally Posted by masterjc View Post
    so, since Sargeras Stabbed Azeroth, Elune's power kind of diminished, thus Tyrande wondering why did Elune forsake her people

but there is quest in Ardenweald, which emntions, that Elune is worshipepd on other planet(s) as well, having Night Warrior there
    also Eonar's spirit was hidden on planet Eonaria. why name Planet after unborn titan of another planet?
    I must have missed that quest. but again you can say she is worshipped because as a Paragon of Order she might have shaped many worlds. As for Eonar's planet she hid at, it is a valid point, but you could contest that different people named it, and it is just a safe haven planet Elune/Azeroth made, that people later named after her rather than being her nascent soul planet.

Again I concede this isn't the most supported theory, just one I feel is right that has some lose connections to suggest it is possible.
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Pretty sure elune was stated in the lore to be above the titan panteon.9

Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    Pretty sure elune was stated in the lore to be above the titan panteon.9
    Yeah, but we don't know how far, her power is nebulous. As a Paragon (I dont have a better term for it) she would be above them, much as Zovaal is above the rest of the shadowland crew.

Sargeras is an interesting case, because while a Titan he seemed to be the strongest warrior, but don't think he was really above the rest, but once he went full disorder/fel/chaos he was able to slap them pretty easily.

Also again if she is being reborn, her power wouldn't be at its peak, which could explain her lacking power.

IMO Elune is not restricted to Order - Arcane, she also deals with Holy energy, sometimes maybe Shadow magic also (in a ToS boss fight).

Elune is probably a First One, thus a being who organized the cosmos, bending and separating the basic magics themselves like Arcane, Holy, Nature...
    That would also explain the nature of An'she (Belore), when you look at the solar spells, you find out it's all diverse types of magic: Fire, Holy, Nature...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Elune is a first one. Maybe the only first one still around, or maybe the original first one. She ordered the cosmos and created different realms and pantheons to do it for her. She crated the Titans to Order the majority of the Cosmos. Death Pantheon to rule the Shadowlands etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxandriel View Post
    IMO Elune is not restricted to Order - Arcane, she also deals with Holy energy, sometimes maybe Shadow magic also (in a ToS boss fight).

Elune is probably a First One, thus a being who organized the cosmos, bending and separating the basic magics themselves like Arcane, Holy, Nature...
    That would also explain the nature of An'she (Belore), when you look at the solar spells, you find out it's all diverse types of magic: Fire, Holy, Nature...
    Yeah, I agree. I hope we never see Elune or the first ones in game. Having some mystery makes WoW interesting. Nzoth became way less interesting once we saw him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of this can be chalked up to the fact that we're playing a video game and it's cool to see these concepts represented. The story may not always support this, though you can see Blizzard does try. I just wouldn't assume Azeroth is exceptional specifically because of the connections to death and nature, etc.

5+ Year Old Account
    I always thought Elune was moon of Azeroth.

If Elune was Azeroth, why wasn't it said that Sargeras stabbed Elune's soul rather than the soul of Azeroth...?

I always associate Elune to be a moon goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I have recently been going through all the new information shadowlands presents us, and I have started to get the suspicion that Azeroth herself might be Elune, and more so I believe she might be the Titan equivalent of Sarg/Zovaal. This would explain why both have said they want to kill her/feared her to degree, as she would be on the same tier as them, a Paragon of their Cosmic force so to speak.

As for why I think Azeroth might be Elune there have been a lot of hints that Elune is a higher power, but she hasn't been clearly defined, and has had limited impact, namely to the forces on Azeroth/the people of Azeroth. As an embryonic Titan, she would have limited powers, would have limited capabilities to express those powers, and would thus be silent most of the time unless it was crucial she displays her power. It would also explain why the old golds want her/could use to bring an uber old god into the cosmos, as she is vulnerable Paragon entity unlike Sarg/Zovaal.

The discussion over if this is her first birth or a rebirth are interesting, with me leaning towards rebirth. Shadowlands has given us a lot of interesting lore, why are we maw-walkers? Why did Zovaal put so much effort into OUR world (helm of dom/Arthas Sword/Slyvannas power up)? Why his need to capture the leaders of the world, namely Anduin? Also why does the Azeroth wild gods, the emerald dream, have such a close connection to one of the 4 primary realms of Shadowlands in Ardenwaeld? To me this makes me think we are maw-walkers because Azeroth/Elune has a deep connection with Shadowlands, namely she was one of "The firsts" we have heard about, as in she was one of the first beings to exist when the metacosmos was created. As a Paragon of the Order realm, I think she was instrumental in laying down the foundations of how the universe works, I think she worked with the paragon of light to push out the paragon of the old gods, which is why only the lesser old gods can get in. I believe she helped set up the realm of death and nature, which is reflective in why Azeroth has so many connections to these realms.

However all this work came at a cost, and when exhausted from this work Zovaal who unhappy with his place made a play that jeopardized all of existence. Using the last of her powers she would fought against him with the 4 leaders of the covenants to imprison him in the maw. This however was too much for her, and knowing her time was coming to sleep/rebirth, she left part of her power as the Arbiter to replace Zovaal as judge of the dead, while also to ensure his prison stayed locked. This also lends credence to The Winter Queens comments about her sister pet when speaking of Ysera, as she could recognize the work of Elune/Azeroth in saving Ysera and sending her to Ardenwaeld, while being annoyed because now the forces/races of Azeroth/her sister might be undoing the bonds and freeing Zovaal (yes we are trying to stop that, but lets face it homeboy is pretty close to getting out).

This also connects to why the force of light is so prominent on Azeroth and has had notable wielders of it as Azeroth was a close companion of the light when creating order in the universe, so they have taken a hand in watching over her and blessing the inhabitants of her world (and if you want to cynical, trying to influence her by proxy via said mortals, could use the same logic and apply it to most of the 6 cosmic forces).

Sorry for being a bit all over, but as this is a topic spanning a lot of the wow lore kind of had random tangents, and yes I realize their are holes in the theory, their are also a lot of holes in Blizzard lore, and this theory would allow blizzard to fairly present why Azeroth/Elune/inhabitants of Azeroth are so powerful, and why they are continously now reaching into the metacosmos at large.
    Interesting discourse at this point, your guess is as good as mine. But it is an interesting theory and actually it fits, which is very hard whe it comes to Elune. Well done

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If Elune was Azeroth, why wasn't it said that Sargeras stabbed Elune's soul rather than the soul of Azeroth...?

I always associate Elune to be a moon goddess.
    Surely by now we should know that the moon is just symbolic, and the kaldorei have developed a racial affinity to the stars and moon able to access arcane power from it or utilise their arcane talent to draw from it.

It makes sense if Elune is the inspiration for non mage kaldorei to utilise star magic, but as a Goddess, to think her scope is limited or confined to a moon is surely preposterous.

Even the moon priests would have figured that out long ago, and recognised the apt nature of the symbology. The moon watches over us, like the Goddess. That they chose the moon is in line with the story of their mythos, seeing its reflection in the waters of the well of eternity as their knowledge and intelligence grew.

They would have realised and perceived her as a true divine entity far beyond the confines of a moon but have the moon the primary inspiration for their connection to her, almost like a physical object like an idol or a crucifix that helps them to connect to the true spiritual or divine being, and not actually believe she is just the moon.

She is worshiped throughout the cosmos and seems to be more worshiped than the titans, by a fairly large margin, that in itself could mean that she's omnipresent.

In the lore she has also displayed interventions based on all the type of damage schools, besides fel, not even the titans are capable of that, which displays omnipotence.

I strongly think Elune is part of the first ones, and potentially even the creator of all that exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayeet View Post
    She is worshiped throughout the cosmos and seems to be more worshiped than the titans, by a fairly large margin, that in itself could mean that she's omnipresent.

In the lore she has also displayed interventions based on all the type of damage schools, besides fel, not even the titans are capable of that, which displays omnipotence.

I strongly think Elune is part of the first ones, and potentially even the creator of all that exists.
    Yeh, it is blizzard that declared her as a true God, at one point she was the only truly divine being, then at another point was one of the true deities.

This statement alone means that she is well above what you think of gods in terms of being like Hakkar, old gods, titans etc. STill this doesn't preclude OPs theory that Elune somehow is Azeroth or Azeroth is a titan incarnation of her or part of her. It is intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxandriel View Post

I agree that she might be First One (beings above Titan Pantheon/Death pantheon)
    who seem to have more power (they punished Zorvaal and bound him to Maw)
    and Elune seems to have several magic school
    (creating Naaru - Holy, Nature - as she has ties to Green Dragonflight/emerald dream, Void or shadow - Tyrandes Echo uses shadow/arcane damages etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I always thought Elune was moon of Azeroth.
    This seems to make the most sense. It is extremely on-the-nose to just say that the moon goddess is of course LITERALLY the moon (or sleeping in the core of the moon). But WoW writing is extremely on-the-nose and straight-forward. They don't do swerves.

Also, kaifu specifically called her an "upstart goddess" and i'm feel sure xalatath wasn't lying. she is some kind of rebel from a mainline faction that is unknown. In Diablo lore, the mortal plane is a basically an escape / hiding place that angels and demons are trying to infiltrate. They may have recycled that plot here, with Elune rebelling or escaping some powerful group and creating our universe and a hiding place, with forces trying to enter.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2020-12-03 at 10:27 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I think Azeroth is an ambiguous powerful being that can be manipulated into becoming one of the 6 cosmic forces. Like I don't think she's actually a baby titan exactly, but she could become one if Order "wins". I think "Death" is just another to fight for dominance over it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    This seems to make the most sense. It is extremely on-the-nose to just say that the moon goddess is of course LITERALLY the moon (or sleeping in the core of the moon). But WoW writing is extremely on-the-nose and straight-forward. They don't do swerves.

Also, kaifu specifically called her an "upstart goddess" and i'm feel sure xalatath wasn't lying. she is some kind of rebel from a mainline faction that is unknown. In Diablo lore, the mortal plane is a basically an escape / hiding place that angels and demons are trying to infiltrate. They may have recycled that plot here, with Elune rebelling or escaping some powerful group and creating our universe and a hiding place, with forces trying to enter.
    Considering how heavily has been WoW borrowing over D3 elements as of late (in both gameplay and lore), I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, this whole Bastion thing is basically D3's High Heavens, with a couple of minor changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I'm kinda thinking that Elune as a true goddess worshipped around cosmos might be using the moon to look after Azeroth (she might have moons overlooking other worlds she's involved with) that she might see as her child ("mother moon" and all that).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Thunder Focus Tea can now be combined with a bit of milk and a few drops of vanilla extract to produce a lovely hot beverage for all seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjc View Post

This basically, it all sounds rather unlikely.
    And remember that Xal'atath referred to Elune as "the upstart goddess" (while references to the titans tend to be made quite differently), and that defiling her temple in Tomb of Sargeras still instantly kills you.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

How could Elune be Azeroth (Earth) if she is the Moon?

Would you say Azeroth (Earth) is also An'she (Sun)?

Would Azeroth, also, be the stars?