Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Funny, I commented on someone talking about it. Seems.you fail to understand how that works. My issue is that people always read into things that happen in game too much so that they get upset over nothing made of it. Like Dragon Isles. Which was only in concept and never guaranteed or removed.
    What an odd stretch to just assume anyone would get mad at something not appearing in the game.

I brought it up since it's a place of dragons, and OP wants more traditional old school fantasy themes.

Whether you think it's going to be in the game or not, Blizz hinted at it. Nodded, winked, whatever you prefer.

It looks like you butted your pigheaded opinion into here looking to start an argument over quite literally nothing. So enjoy trying to force an argument because I'm done here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Warcraft's story hasn't really been "grounded" since the the lore was rewritten for WC3, and even in WC1-2 the orcs were alien invaders and there were gnomish flying machines and submarines.

That being said, the core story and zones of BFA were plenty grounded. As grounded as anything in Classic. Both continents dealt with unifying kingdoms and quelling local threats. Aesthetically it was also pretty low fantasy for the most part. Kul Tiras in particular is full of small hamlets and fortresses.
    On a silly side note, I always cried because naval units were missing in WC3. I have good reminds of WC2 naval missions

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The first demon we saw in WC3 (the infernal) is literally a robot built in a factory and mass produced.
    except infernal back then were literally just summoned with magic. nothing more than fel infused rocks. nothing about them was "mechanical" like a fel reaver. and mass-producing factories for them also werent a thing
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

I don't feel like WoW has really lost its roots, and that's largely because the artists are so good at their jobs in making everything fit. Instead, I think the way the games story and direction is influences your dislike for the current way things are. It's the handling of the events and the way they transpire that has lost the essence or magic that people enjoyed more in WC3 / Old WoW days. I don't think we've jumped leaps and bounds at all, the game is still grounded in its designs. Blizzard did 'jump the shark' twice though, once in WotLK and Legion. Both of those times they explored future-tech exploration because of the titans and what not - and in Legion with SPACE SHIPS and shit. Obviously both are a liiiiitle out of scope when it comes to the writers being able to properly handle that.

But it wasn't out of place, just pushing too far too fast.

BC fucked everything up. Wow can't come back from that.
    A guy with an axe is now fighting against a guy in an interstellar spaceship with light beam canons. And you have to cope with that retarded shit.
    Low tech versus skill and magic could work.
    Right now, it's just dumb.
    Unless they assume that their lore is retarded and delete wow from warcraft history.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2020-11-01 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post

But this thread isn't about the Dragon Isles, now is it? .
    It's not, but the Dragon Isles are a symbol of hope for those who want to see the game grounded by generic fantasy tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    except infernal back then were literally just summoned with magic. nothing more than fel infused rocks. nothing about them was "mechanical" like a fel reaver. and mass-producing factories for them also werent a thing
    Frozen Throne did have massive demonic siege engines as neutral creeps so that aspect of the Legion is hardly new even if BC did scale it up to 11 with stuff like the Fel Reaver, but then again it's a pretty iconic piece of their arsenal so I wouldn't say it was all bad.

And anyway, BfA was about as grounded as Warcraft has been since Classic and it was still widely disliked. Not because of that, obviously, but I don't think most players play freaking Warcraft if they're a sticker for traditional fantasy tropes and nothing else because the universe hasn't stuck solely to that for a long ass time.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Didn't we get heavily nerfed going from Legion to BFA and again going into Shadowlands? Seems they've already stopped the "DBZ power level train."
    Is that why BfA went from "war" to "stopping an Old God threat who has been hinted at since the beginning of the game?"

Or are you saying "going to the realm of Death to probably kill a Death God" is somehow a LESSER amount of power than we've had previously?

They will make the expansion threat appear however strong they like, until they decide otherwise. We're absolutely still on the DBZ power level train.

Quote Originally Posted by Maatix View Post
    Is that why BfA went from "war" to "stopping an Old God threat who has been hinted at since the beginning of the game?"

Or are you saying "going to the realm of Death to probably kill a Death God" is somehow a LESSER amount of power than we've had previously?

They will make the expansion threat appear however strong they like, until they decide otherwise. We're absolutely still on the DBZ power level train.
    Oh yeah, Shadowlands looks to be on par with Legion with the heroic fantasy power creep. We're walking freely in the realms of death itself, the first endboss has been the ruler of his plane for who knows how many years and is potentially the boss of every Dreadlord, and we already know the final boss is Titan++ levels of OP.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I'm talking about the level of our characters. In Legion we were wielding weapons of legends, some of which had actually destroyed worlds. We also fought Titan avatars and brought demigod-level beings like Kil'jaeden. In this expansion the strongest being we fought were Azshara, who we simply beat up. For N'Zoth we needed a cloak to not go instantly insane, Deathwing's son has to use an Old God weapon to crack open his shell, and then we had to literally use Azeroth's power to fire a kill-sat. None of that had anything to do with our strength.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I'm talking about the level of our characters. In Legion we were wielding weapons of legends, some of which had actually destroyed worlds. We also fought Titan avatars and brought demigod-level beings like Kil'jaeden. In this expansion the strongest being we fought were Azshara, who we simply beat up. For N'Zoth we needed a cloak to not go instantly insane, Deathwing's son has to use an Old God weapon to crack open his shell, and then we had to literally use Azeroth's power to fire a kill-sat. None of that had anything to do with our strength.
    Still not hearing the "yes I think this is a lesser threat" or "no I think this was a greater threat."

Was N'zoth on par with, or lesser than, the Titans? I'd say at least on par. What level our characters are is irrelevant considering we're still stopping greater threats.

Still not hearing the "yes I think this is a lesser threat" or "no I think this was a greater threat."

Was N'zoth on par with, or lesser than, the Titans? I'd say at least on par. What level our characters are is irrelevant considering we're still stopping greater threats.
    I was never talking about the threat, but our character's power levels. I presumed that's what you meant by your DBZ reference.

As for threats, yes. The entire Pantheon under the control of Sargeras wiping out all life in the universe is, indeed, a bigger threat than N'Zoth, even if you take the possibility of a Void Titan into consideration.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Even Classic had Uldaman where at the end of the dungeon, you interacted with a console that processed discs to project holograms.

Even in Warcraft 1-2 the universe was steampunk based, not medieval.

I want the next expansion after Shadowlands to be more grounded. Yes and light hearted. That means going back to traditional roots of Classic. (heavily medieval themed rather people admit it or not..) I would be pumped for this instead of them overextending into the cosmos already. I did hear people speculate another planet before. As long as it is not Draenor again I would be ok with that. As long as there is no massive cosmic war being played out. Who knows they might have the end of WoW planned out already.

Anyone of these commenters need to swallow a glass of what the person was thinking at that moment.

STARCRAFT was blizzards space game

WARCRAFT was blizzards fantasy game

mixing makes them both worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    They weren't not a thing, either. We just didn't know anything about them other than that they were.

They're also still "only" fel-infused rocks, but that doesn't change that they're functionally robots and mass-produced in factories. They just happen to be magic robots(aka golems) created by industrial scale magic.
    Last edited by huth; 2020-11-02 at 10:47 AM.

Medieval ages are the best ages when it comes to fantasy and it is the main reason I got into WOW.
    So yeah, I really do miss it.

In WC3 tanks, gyrocopters, guns, rockets, robots, etc.

TBC added spaceships and spacegoats.

All nothing compared to Titan able to cleave planets and oh, create "machine" keepers

Eliminate that and wc is high fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    WoW has never been about "medieval" subjects. There's really no religion, kings and queens and knights and so on are of relatively little importance, and there's been high tech present since early Warcraft games. This is unlike a lot of MMORPGs - Dark Age of Camelot, for example, is very much more "medieval" than WoW (despite being set in the dark ages, technically). As was EverQuest.
    Yeah, there's no religion like the Holy Light or different religious institutions like the Scarlet Crusade, the Silver Hand, the Argent Dawn, the Brotherhood of the Light and of course the Church of the Holy Light and holy wars are definitely not a concept. Kings like Varian, Terenas, Anasterian, Anduin, Daelin, Genn and the concept of what makes a good King obviously also don't play any role in Warcraft games. One of the biggest and most iconic figures in Warcraft lore also wasn't a King whose name starts with "Arth" and who wielded a magical sword that was encased in a solid block and who had a mentor/father figure named Uther.
    Absolutely preposterous.

But there absolutely are a few minor races who possess some degree of steampunk technology that always blows up in their faces. So I guess gyrocopter go brrrrrr.