Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    playing video games for money was cool before it was about playing for money.

nani?
    Think of it like a lot of "normal" sports these days,like football or others. While pro players were always paid for playing,there's a huge difference between how it was handled then compared to now.
    The amount of large scale publicity and advertisment,as well as product placements and absolutely colossal sums of money being moved around sponsors,managers and team rosters and the attempted cults of personality are the issue

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirethas View Post
    By all means, it doesn't matter what you think but sport doesn't require physical engagement, you can think of esports like a chess, which is defined as a sport.
    And this is not matter of opinion, this is fact
    lmao chess is absolutely not a sport either, get over yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont like to be cenzored. This is main reason i dislike E-spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both. I don't care enough to play at a competitive level in most games, and I also feel not every multiplayer game needs to be an esport; trying to bend and twist games around in the hopes that they'll be the next CSGO or League of Legends only does more harm than good, in my opinion. By the same token, I do have a (minor) physical limitation that would hamper efforts to play competitively on a professional level, that being a low-grade case of carpal tunnel syndrome that acts up in full-twitch gameplay (hence my preference for MMORPGs and RPGs in general, which tend to have a slower, more methodical gameplay loop).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    lmao chess is absolutely not a sport either, get over yourself.
    funnily enough,chess is officially defined as a sport,but a lot of chess players and organisations will tell you that chess isn't a sport

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    funnily enough,chess is officially defined as a sport,but a lot of chess players and organisations will tell you that chess isn't a sport
    You will never win this argument. Some people are so set upon their own ideas that they wont ever be able to learn a more nuanced view of the world.

I love games but i'd never give up my day job for something as uncertain as esports(given i had the talent).

I think that some people have this idea that playing games for a living would mean they could have fun every day of their life. I say its more likely they havent chosen the correct line of work.

I love my job :/

I'd rather have a real job
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am an absolute beast at some kinds of games, and an absolute wimp at others. That said, 9 out of 10 times the part I suck at is the competitive aspect, so there would be no point in even trying.

Wont be a skadoodle, but if i focused my gameplay on one game, and improving on aspects of that game, i'm confident i could compete at both fps and strategy games.

But to play games in that manner is not very fun, and might impact my overall enjoyment of videogames. So nah, i'll keep my worklife and freetime separate, and do what i find fun at the time, wether it's clearing mythic raids, playing csgo just enough that i can beat my friends or buying lootboxes in Genjin.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pity people who follow esports. I pity esports players even more. Have you even seen those people? They look like the most miserable regretful people I have ever seen in my life. Their eyes...ive never seen an esports pro who doesn’t look completely dead inside. It’s just an awful vibe, the whole thing

I don't care for PvP for PvP's sake. That's why I'm not interested in ESports (or any Sport competitions).

10+ Year Old Account
    don't want; I'm not interested by marketed competition, or by watching it

it's too social for me. if I want to compete I do it on regular online games, or compare scores on offline games; money is not viable anyway

I also question the term, why not using tournament instead of esport? this sounds like clickbait buzz to me, esport is probably getting a lot of hate because of that

"forced" is the ideal word to describe it, though I wonder where it came from first

At the heart of it it's all about competition and spectacle. I understand there will always be someone who wants to be the very best that no one ever was. And there will always be a lot of them and thus there is competition.

A bit of both, I am terrible at most games that are popular on the competitive scene, but I also don't really want to make my hobby my career either, it would suck to fall out of love with my hobby because I decided to make it my career.

Don't care. I don't need competition to validate myself. I try to do my best and i'm content of whatever degree of proficiency i'm able to reach.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I usually get to Diamond+ on ranked online games and I feel like I have the ability to get really close to pro levels but the thing is, in every game it reaches a point where if you want to get into the highest ranks, (Champion/GC in Rocket League, Master/GM in SCII), you have to play a lot of hours to practice really mechanical stuff and it stops being fun so I don't think it's worth it. Even if you make the sacrifice and become a pro, very few of them actually earn enough to sustain themselves. They are like the 0,5% and usually can't stay at the top for very long.

I have the aim of stevie wonder on LSD so that leaves FPS games out of the question.

Dont want to, because that is where it stops being fun.

Its kind of a curse to me. I love playing games that i find fun to the point that i become very good at them, but the issue at top level of play is that it stops being fun and people are obsessed with winning instead, and so games become very boring.

In dota(not 2) it was fun until i got far up enough that every game had same heroes (like 90% of lineups were the same every game), with same item builds and all. Quite boring, and you are alienated if you try to do the uncommon stuff or experiment a bit, and people from your team would outright quit if they see you doing something out of the ordinary. So i quit the game.

In UT i got into national team (of top 5 nation) after ive played it so much that i became very good, and got invites to join top 5 clans, but same issue there too. Once you get there, you realize that people are willing to do anything for win, and nothing else matters. Spawnkilling and such becomes the usual "tactic" and if you dont do it, you are at disadvantage and such. Even got into arguments with my clan because i refused to spawnkill. So eventually i quit it. Sadly taking long pauses(up to 2 year at a time) doesnt help either as muscle memory and such comes back really fast.

Starcraft(BW and sc2) same thing... you can play strange builds and use all sorts of stuff until you get high enough... so when i got to top league, it started to become groundhog day. Everyone doing same stuff, same builds and such, and you just cant do fun stuff anymore. And dropping on purpose to play with "weaker" people seems like im bullying or making fun of them, not fun at all. So i quit that too.

Guess thats the danger of having a lot of free time and playing too much when you like some game. Thats why my gaming history is very repetitive... finding a game i like, playing the shit out of it, becoming good, getting to top tier play (matchmakers and such) and then quitting as i dont find it fun at that level. And then finding new game... and the cycle repeats itself.

Being an eSports pro requires treating a game like a full-time job. It's rare for someone to want to be focused on a skilled game for 8 hours a day. Also, anyone over the age of 25 is going to have a hard time breaking into the scene since they are at a physical disadvantage when it comes to their reaction times.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to want to and I played CS at a pretty high level but it became a job rather than something I did out of enjoyment.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru