Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i'm personally just happy they still (mostly) do it at night. probably significantly cheaper to do it during the day.
    Since when do they do maintenance at night? Nothing is cheaper to do at night. Not a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scynfullone View Post
    Since when do they do maintenance at night? Nothing is cheaper to do at night. Not a damn thing.
    It's always night somewhere, that person is in a diff timezone. It's smack dab in the middle of the day for EST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by treekush View Post
    YOu would think a MULTI annually billion dollar company would afford servers that do not require this length of maintenance.
    Hey welcome to Warcraft, glad you're here.

Typically this maintenance occurs at a regular interval for weekly resets, but can be extended to address other issues going on with the hardware or software.

Please save your sophomoric analysis for trade chat (That's /2 in a city).
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's always night somewhere, that person is in a diff timezone. It's smack dab in the middle of the day for EST.
    Totally spaced the timezone situation touche

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up.

None of us have even the slightest idea what's involved in server maintenance, especially now that the pre-patch is live, the Scourge event is on the horizon, and Shadowlands content is not far behind that. It's not at all surprising that they would probably need to take longer on maintenance now then they would back when we weren't in the midst of new and upcoming patch content. Not everything can be solved with "get bigger/better/more servers, Blizzard".

It's 10 in the morning. Go eat breakfast, take a walk, and do something productive.
    From past maintenances through. It's either some stealth implementation with Hotfixes (because blizz hotfixes like a mofo 24/7 in wow for ages and does it constantly)

Or it's to prepare for Pre-Patch Events, that starts next week.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    QFT

It isn't a matter of ability, and entirely a matter of the lack of willingness.

It's the same reason they release expansions with less and less content. People don't notice, and continue to pay their sub fees.

Blizz will only get better when the vast majority of people stop giving them money in response to their cheapness.
    How do the expansions launch with less and less content?the expansion that launched with most content was tbc,makes sense as it was the first one....than wotlk launched with multiple raids and the first new class,a new pvp outdoor zone

cata had the biggest world revamp so that ofc took most of the dev time,but also had a similar pvp outdoor zone and multiple raids,and 2 new races,so pretty much on par if not more than wotlk (zone wise far more)

mop launched with a new class and race,a new starting zone,and across the expansions lifetime added more patch content than EVER BEFORE

then we got wod(this is the first time an argument can be made of them launching with less content)...just one raid,and garrison ate up alot of time,wile the garrison could keep you bussy for a wile it didnt feel good and apex was bad

legion,by far the most launch content ever,new class,questlines for every spec,mythic+ opened up huge amounts of time spent and content for people that didnt exist before,and over the corse of the expansion they once again released more patch content than EVER BEFORE and at a pretty rapid pace

comes bfa,wile war story is the same for everyone it was far longer than the artefacts,it launched with warmode,the biggest pvp addition since arenas,the azerite gear system,warfronts,more alied races,islands,and over the course of the expansions added a fair ammount of content with the biggest dungeon since blackrock,2 new zones,proly missing out some stuff as i didnt play much of bfa

also lets not forget all the little things over the years,like improved lvling,models etc etc

and ofc,i know you may not enjoy all these things,but saying they have added less is simply dishonest or delusional

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    to be fair apple and microsoft have an insentive to make things bad so people keep buying them,they 100% could make a phone by now with no bugs that lasts more than 2 years,its all by design,they would go bankrup if they made an amazing phone
    No I don't think thats the case, at worst execs think it wouldn't bring ENOUGH money to satisfy them... it might be very profitable but they gotta have ALL OF IT.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Are you that addicted that you cannot even be offline for 4hrs per week?
    I already have blurred vision, foamy mouth and a lot of thick green snot flowing out of my nose and we're only 2 hours in. There should be a law against downtime! Playtime is a human right!

YOu would think a MULTI annually billion dollar company would afford servers that do not require this length of maintenance.
    Do you honestly think there is a sum of money one can spend to get this magical, 100% perfect computer hardware? Do you even know what is involved in maintaining the servers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Think it's more of a testament on how "large" the server infrastructure is.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Most maintenances I've seen are 1 - 2 hours for the longest time. It seems the longer maintenances are for pre-patch / expansion adjustments and fixes? I can only imagine that is why it's being done for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Scynfullone View Post
    It doesn't make sense to do the maintenance at night when more players are active. Not to mention those responsible for doing maintenance most likely only work nights in extreme circumstances. Tuesday mornings when most players are at work/school makes the most sense to me.
    So you mean that "most players" are playing between 03:00 and 07:00 Server time? More than people that might be off work and would want to play between say 08:00 and 12:00?

I would argue that most players "drop off" after midnight on weekdays, and after that it's the people that are either working "late shifts and just got home", Or those that are off work / have no time they have to get up, So it doesn't remove any of their available time (the ones that are off work or have no work, that is). I personally work a normal 08:00 - 17:00 job on weekdays, and i typically go to bed between 22:00 and 24:00, depending on when my friends who works similar hours say good night.

Im guessing OP has shot back to the kitchen for more popcorn - honestly you guys would make terrible fish. Considering many "AAA" mmos had their maint at prime time on a Friday - literally 7pm-00:00 - the intention of the thread SHOULD be very clear.

C'mon man. Ppl need their bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by literallysame View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. They're a small indie company.
    and the playerbase is witty and intelligent.

Eh, maintenance can take awhile especially if they are needing to push changes and updates. 4 hours also gives them plenty of time in case things break.

The only problem I have with it is after the 4 hour maintenance that Korrak's is still super laggy and takes about 5-10 seconds for abilities to pop off.

There is no need to take down a live service like this for hours at a time in 2020 unless there are some serious flaws with the architecture that WoW services run on. They do it because they can get away with it and don't believe its a straw that will break any or many camel's backs. They're probably right.

This makes me think back to the days of Wotlk when the servers were down to a minimum of 13:00 every reset day, sometimes even 15:00.

4 hours away from the game might do you some good.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long would it take you to find your way to the forums to bitch if something crashed?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.