Poll: Which covenant would you choose for a warlock based on theme and visuals only?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Which covenant would you choose if their performance was equal?

As a warlock, which covenant would you pick if their performance and utility was equal, i.e. their only difference was in theme and cosmetics?

For comparison, this is how the warlocks have actually chosen their covenant as of now (from wowhead):
    1. Night Fae (40.5%)
    2. Kyrian (30.1%)
    3. Necrolord (17.5%)
    4. Venthyr (11.9%)

We can compare these data with the results of the poll, and see how well Blizzard succeeded in "allowing" the warlock playerbase to choose the covenant they want (i.e. the one that thematically fits the best).

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    I point out that, for the purposes of this thread, the covenants are supposed to be exactly the same except for their visuals/cosmetics/theme. You'd have access to exactly the same covenant abilities, soulbinds, etc. regardless of which covenant you chose, just their visuals would be different.

For example, if you chose Venthyr you could choose between Door of Shadows, Soulshape, Fleshcraft and Summon Steward when joining the covenant. The names of these abilities would be covenant-appropriate, so would their appearance, but the effect itself would be exactly the same regardless of the covenant. Lets further assume that the visuals would always resemble as closely as possible the current covenant ability, e.g. if a Venthyr chose Soulshape it would look like a cloud of red anima mist.
    Last edited by Uzkin; 2020-12-08 at 04:58 PM.

I already based my ingame choice on theme and cosmetics, not performance. Blizzard is probably going to change the values on abilities anyway and make a lot of people mad.

My choice was between Venthyr and Necrolord, I chose Venthyr because I think that a warlock fits better within that covenant.

I went night fae and id do it again, because soulshape is too damn good to give up.

I have no idea honestly. If it wasn't shoved down our throats like it is now, I probably wouldn't participate much in that sort of content. Transmog and mounts are not something I find appealing, and stuff like planting a garden or throwing a party is not what I look for in video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Venthyr for aesthetics but i have no regrets going Night Fae cause the soulshape helps so much. An ondeman sprint + blink is great for pvp. And honestly, Night Fae somewhat fits my lock concept, because we drain souls and the video shows Nightfae aint afraid to slurp up a soul for the greater good.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already picked Venthyr based on faction coolness, and their ability not feeling like ass in my rotation. I liked Doorway as well from a practicality point. The others' particularly Kyrian, felt like shit for mobility, I guess that's what you use if you're stuck on Patchwerk?

there's more to it than sims vs aesthetics

for example the Kyrian gameplay is particularly appealing/skill testing for destro (Havoc->Tithe), while Soulshape helps a ton on various types of content with some considerable quality of life on top, some might seek to increase their mobility by picking Night Fae

Necrolords admitedly sucks for Affliction, here indeed there's no 'saving it' unless they allow it to work with Drain Soul again (which was busted), but for demo/destro it's quite decent (in fact for destro it wins on single target over all covenants)

And Venthyr are going to feel alot better once Impending Catastrophe finally get's it's buff

some people like to do multiple content too: for example i always consider both m+ and pvp equally, while i don't want to suck on raids either

10+ Year Old Account
    I point out that, for the purposes of this thread, the covenants are supposed to be exactly the same except for their visuals/cosmetics/theme. You'd have access to exactly the same covenant abilities, soulbinds, etc. regardless of which covenant you chose, just their visuals would be different.

For example, if you chose Venthyr you could choose between Door of Shadows, Soulshape, Fleshcraft and Summon Steward when joining the covenant. The names of these abilities would be covenant-appropriate, so would their appearance, but the effect itself would be exactly the same regardless of the covenant. Lets further assume that the visuals would always resemble as closely as possible the current covenant ability, e.g. if a Venthyr chose Soulshape it would look like a cloud of red anima mist.

Necrolord or venthyr obviously.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Tbh, I like Angel-Warlock. I neither find Necromancy nor vampires really fitting for my (human) WL. And night fae is completely out, theme-wise. So Kyrian it is. It's a cult, that's pretty fitting for a WL.

Style-wise Vynthyr for sure. Base skill for the class, also Vynthyr, putting curses up on AoE packs will be huge in mythic+. But as many others have stated, Soul shape is so damn good. I don't know if I would want to be without it ever again. Which is making me very sad thinking about when SL is over.

I already chose Venthyr not because of performance so nothing would change if the abilities were changed.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Venthyr, I like everything about them.

What did I pick? Kyrian. Best or not, I refuse to play Night Fae. I don't like their story. I don't like their art. I don't like their voice acting. I literally dislike everything about them. At least with Kyrian I have a strong and funly (totally a real word) abusable dps ability and have the prettiest zone, even if it doesn't have the feel of being a warlock.

Necrolord for sure, they're everything I imagine warlocks to be

Quote Originally Posted by Azato View Post
    I already based my ingame choice on theme and cosmetics, not performance. Blizzard is probably going to change the values on abilities anyway and make a lot of people mad.

My choice was between Venthyr and Necrolord, I chose Venthyr because I think that a warlock fits better within that covenant.
    That was my thought too, I even went with Venthyr like you because I thought it fits my lock the best. Vampire bros for lyfe.

3+ Year Old Account
    Necrolord with Venthyr close behind.
    Blood DK

IF the performance was all equal, I'd pick a random one ... because they'd all be identical.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The way i chose.

Each character i chose the one with the look and feel of ability i enjoyed the most.

Except my warrior. I went Kyrian because an aoe root in pvp is too good to pass up.
    I'm a thread killer.

If we are only looking at the mogs/non-power related rewards, night fea or venthyr probably
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think the Venthyr ability looks coolest, so that one.