Thread: Ex-smokers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    My mother was a chain smoker, smoking 1-2 full packs of cigarettes a day... and she just went cold turkey, and hasn't smoked at all since. Her reason? Saving money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    The question is, how did you managed to stop smoking?

Currently trying to reduce the amount of cigarretes per day, by having times where i can smoke, one cigarrete per hour, doing this for a couple hours so far and it isn't to difficult. The idea is to completly stop somoking in a couple of months.
    Ok, an update. I reduced the amount of cigarretes per day, was smoking a pack and a half, currently only smoking 15 cigarretes a day, one per hour.
    It was dificult to do this at the beggining, more then a month has passed by and i think i'm ready for the next step. Already lost most of my old smoking habbits, like pulling a cigarrete every time i went to the street, or when under stress situations. Saved a lot of money by now, and i would save a lot more if i just quited, except... i'm not sure if i want .

Ok, an update. I reduced the amount of cigarretes per day, was smoking a pack and a half, currently only smoking 15 cigarretes a day, one per hour.
    It was dificult to do this at the beggining, more then a month has passed by and i think i'm ready for the next step. Already lost most of my old smoking habbits, like pulling a cigarrete every time i went to the street, or when under stress situations. Saved a lot of money by now, and i would save a lot more if i just quited, except... i'm not sure if i want .
    Dude... sorry... I was necro'd.

Good luck!

The question is, how did you managed to stop smoking?

Currently trying to reduce the amount of cigarretes per day, by having times where i can smoke, one cigarrete per hour, doing this for a couple hours so far and it isn't to difficult. The idea is to completly stop somoking in a couple of months.
    I know this won't work for everyone, but I quit with nicotine gum. First I gave myself the permission to chew on it as much as I pleased to just get rid of the habit of smoking itself, not so much the nicotine addiction. Once I felt that was sorted, then I dropped the gum. The latter part wasn't exactly easy, but a helluva lot easier for me at least than going cold turkey.

If you don't want to quit, you won't.

What's your motivation for reducing how much you smoke?

From my experience, the people that didn't ever WANT to quit but decided to because of other factors all eventually started smoking again. They would find excuses for it at first but those excuses would escalate and eventually they would be right back where they started

"I only smoke other people's cigarettes"
    "Well, I only smoke at work"
    "I don't smoke around the kids"
    "I'm not smoking as much as I used to"
    "Well, I never really wanted to quit anyway... I just did because the wife did when she got pregnant"

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    If you don't want to quit, you won't.

What's your motivation for reducing how much you smoke?

From my experience, the people that didn't ever WANT to quit but decided to because of other factors all eventually started smoking again. They would find excuses for it at first but those excuses would escalate and eventually they would be right back where they started

"I only smoke other people's cigarettes"
    "Well, I only smoke at work"
    "I don't smoke around the kids"
    "I'm not smoking as much as I used to"
    "Well, I never really wanted to quit anyway... I just did because the wife did when she got pregnant"
    It sounds like some self help bullshit, but this is true. If you're quitting for any other reason than you really actually WANT to quit, the chances of you succeeding is super fuckin low.

Had an ex-brother in law that failed like....15 different times to quit. Each time he was quitting because his wife wanted him to, he was spending too much money on smokes, was tired of being hassled at work about it. He was almost a 3 pack a day guy. He failed every time because his mindset was "I am an adult, I can have whatever I want. I don't have to deny myself something I want and can get".

Personally, I decided to quit when we decided to have kids. I didn't want that monkey hanging on for a ride that was going to be a trial on its own. I took Wellbutrin (Brupropion). Started taking it while still smoking for two weeks on doctors orders, then stopping after that two weeks. During that two weeks I could not get enough cigarettes. I smoked a pack a day those two weeks. After the two weeks, it was like, I wanted them, but the desire was easy to ignore. I stopped and haven't smoked for just over 9 years.

The "withdrawal" from nicotine is mostly mental unlike the withdrawals from opioids, benzodiazepines or alcohol which have physical withdrawal symptoms. (Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal can have life threatening symptoms)

And that means if you really want to quit smoking, it should be pretty easy to do so. If you regularly smoke, you don't want to quit.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    I will never quit, I can't. I'm like Gollum but with cigarettes instead of a ring & a mummy when I wake up. 2-3 packs a day for 24 years. Food is less of a priority that I can go without. I smoke at my PC. I want to quit but it is impossible.

Everyone is different, but i went cold turkey.

I used to smoke a pack a day, Winstons or chestfields,

After ten years of smoking, i hated the cost, the way my clothes smelt, not being able to smell certain food fragrences etc, so I basically threw everything out that i used one night. All cigs, lighters, ashtrays, matches, papers the lot of it in the bin, none of this cut down crap etc. If you want to stop, out all of it goes.

I then chewed chewing gum or a sweet every time i wanted to smoke, by about ten days the craving were really bad but i just kept a positive mind, did some exercise, went for a walk, those type of things.

Somewhere close to the end of the second week i had broken the habit, i still thought about smoking a lot, but as the weeks went on, it lessened more and more.

Now many years later, i don't even think about cigarettes at all, in fact they absolutely disgust me and i wish i had given up much earlier.

If you want to give up the only think stopping you is you, throw the shit away and be strong for two weeks, and you have basically won.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I've noticed about ex-smokers, they won't complain about passive smoking and won't back you up if you have a problem with it. Whereas if you've never smoked, passive smoking is somewhat intolerable in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    One thing I've noticed about ex-smokers, they won't complain about passive smoking and won't back you up if you have a problem with it. Whereas if you've never smoked, passive smoking is somewhat intolerable in the extreme.
    As an ex smoker, I can first hand say that secondhand smoke is nauseating AF and will complain and back anyone up who has a problem with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    secondsmoke is being a complete and gigantic asshole. it has immediate detrimential effects to the health of those who breath it in. secondhand smoke kills. if i catch a customer in the store with a cigarette i will tell them flat out to go outside and put it out since our workplace does not allow smoking.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, you're harshing my contact buzz here. Dopamine receptors are still a thing.

Learn to handle your own shit.
    Government Affiliated Snark