Returning Player, Start Over or Get Learning?

Hello all

I am a player who played since Beta but stopped right before the release of Legion. I found at the time I was playing to get things done (like dailies, legendaries, content) rather than to have fun so I took a break.

I'm considering coming back for a fresh start and have read about the new expansion and level squish.

My question is, would you recommend diving back in with my years old characters and having to learn how to play them again, or would you instead recommend starting over with new characters and going from 1-50?

I'm interested to hear the responses.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchrat View Post
    Hello all

I am a player who played since Beta but stopped right before the release of Legion. I found at the time I was playing to get things done (like dailies, legendaries, content) rather than to have fun so I took a break.

I'm considering coming back for a fresh start and have read about the new expansion and level squish.

My question is, would you recommend diving back in with my years old characters and having to learn how to play them again, or would you instead recommend starting over with new characters and going from 1-50?

I'm interested to hear the responses.

Thanks guys.
    there is nearly 0 difference in how most classes play now in prepatch compared to how they played in legion at best differences are minor and negligible

all they did was put back bunch of usless buttons that you will never use anyway .

so jus go back to your old toons

7+ Year Old Account
    Takes very little time to get used to how classes play now.

I will also add that I am much more interested in playing for the quests, story and worldbuilding and much less the endgame content.

Does that make a difference?

I will also add that I am much more interested in playing for the quests, story and worldbuilding and much less the endgame content.

You're trolling, right?

... "My favorite part of the game is the lore. Should I skip all this lore?" Start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    You're trolling, right?
    No? Why would I be trolling?

I've always played games for the story and quests. I was in a Roleplaying guild on Argent Dawn for many years.

Currently, I play FFXIV and Guild Wars 2 as they provide excellent storyline, world building and a great sense of adventure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    ... "My favorite part of the game is the lore. Should I skip all this lore?" Start over.
    See, that's part of what I'm getting at.

I don't know which option would give me the best experience. Obviously I will play through ALL of the lore/content either way as I have some classes yet to level at all. My question is more whether I should restart my existing main and other higher level toons, or just keep them as they are and enjoy the new levelling on a new alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    You're trolling, right?
    I'm really confused why people keep asking me that.

I've been perfectly polite in my posts and sincerely asking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    Hey friend, I am taking a dig at "Kapaya" who asked if you were trolling

I was shocked that he doesn't think people play wow just for Quests and storyline. I do and am happy meet some like you who does the same.
    Yeah, I find a lot of people focus more on the MMO than the RPG in MMORPG.

With traditional RPG's seemingly dead in favour of more action RPG and shooting games, I like that MMO's give us evolving stories that keep changing and building patch after patch!

In my experience starting over on a fresh character does better for learning a class on the way to level cap. I find sometimes you may find uses for abilities in these situations you wouldn't have found if you had just started closer to cap or skipped these situations. The order in which abilities are presented and when you're expected to use them against certain enemies when you'll find them tends to reflect upon you different experiences in how these abilities can be valued. Even when you think you know a class inside and out you can still learn something weird once in a while. Though for the life of me I can't remember any of these "a-ha" moments - those I remember are usually when I'm thinking of talents or comparing numbers of abilities for a spec I otherwise did no research on that I discover how things are 'intended' to work. It's kind of nice making these discoveries and later being affirmed by guides. Kind of like playing a fighting game and finding an optimal combo before you look them up online. Discovery can be fun. But, depending on whether you enjoy that sort of thing or not your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    You're trolling, right?
    I am sorry to inform you that not every player is a soulless endgame content-chasing husk.