Thread: Hades!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    I just feel like I need to step in.
    This feeling is both misplaced and unnecessary, FYI.

People with low standards who claim that low feature, low budget, indie games should be anywhere near the title of GOTY despite other games that actually had a lot of effort and money poured into them, are damaging the industry as a whole because then developers will feel like they can cheap out on game developing because people will be content with much lower effort projects.
    Video games exist totally and solely to facilitate gameplay for personal enjoyment.

If a user does not enjoy a game the degree of money & effort placed into the creation of a game is irrelvelent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This feeling is both misplaced and unnecessary, FYI.

Video games exist totally and solely to facilitate gameplay for personal enjoyment.

If a user does not enjoy a game the degree of money & effort placed into the creation of a game is irrelvelent.
    And implying that effort hasn't been put into this game is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And implying that effort hasn't been put into this game is ridiculous.
    A man can put effort in building a hut. Doesn't mean the hut should be as valuable as a skyscraper, nor that people should be encouraged to live in huts.

10+ Year Old Account
    A man can put effort in building a hut. Doesn't mean the hut should be as valuable as a skyscraper, nor that people should be encouraged to live in huts.
    And a person can also put in effort to make a game, and as long as it entertains people that's good enough

When a game reaches a certain level of acclaim, it creates its own counter-audience. This is human nature.

I'm sorry but when people say things like
    It's not like your opinion is greater than another's you know.

People with low standards who claim that low feature, low budget, indie games should be anywhere near the title of GOTY despite other games that actually had a lot of effort and money poured into them, are damaging the industry as a whole because then developers will feel like they can cheap out on game developing because people will be content with much lower effort projects.
    Budget should hardly be a measure of impact. Otherwise, by your logic, games like Child of Light would never exist.

I don't care much for your strange slippery slope argument idea, considering there's always been low budget cash grab games. Hades is most certainly not one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've considered getting it but the hentai graphic style isn't very appealing. Gameplay and mechanics do look quite interesting though. Also seem to be somewhat overwhelming to get into..
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Not my cup of tea, then again I've not been a big fan of Supergiant's Games since Bastion. I never really understood why that got so much hype at the time and their other releases didn't appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I've considered getting it but the hentai graphic style isn't very appealing. Gameplay and mechanics do look quite interesting though. Also seem to be somewhat overwhelming to get into..
    I'm honestly perplexed by this statement, I can't for the life of me see what you mean.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

It looks like a comic book. I'm not sure where you're getting "hentai" from.

That being said, it's not that overwhelming honestly. They ease you into it, introducing things run by run typically

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It looks like a comic book. I'm not sure where you're getting "hentai" from.

That being said, it's not that overwhelming honestly. They ease you into it, introducing things run by run typically
    I've played a few hentai games and I have no idea what he's talking about. There's no defining "hentai graphic style".
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    You must be thinking of another game or you don't know the difference between hentai and anime...and this game is barely anime-style, more of a crossover with western comic-book art.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused about what's low effort about the game?

The team who made Hades isn't exactly "small" but it's not enormous either. Effort is certainly put into crafting this game, and I think developers of 'big budget' games should take note too. Also keep in mind that Hades is what, 20 bucks, as opposed to most triple A games being around the 60 dollar mark. A lot of triple A games don't take risks and just because they look pretty, doesn't mean that they're actually good, or revolutionary.

Video games are solely for personal enjoyment and nobody can really tell others what that enjoyment might be. You're trying to paint this game like it's a low effort cash grab, which it's far from.

I can certainly understand somebody not liking it though, but to dismiss Indie games as a whole is also pretty damaging to the industry as a whole too. Again, games are suppose to be fun, and if we just get remastered or formulaic triple A games of the same franchise every few years with just graphical upgrades, are we really winning as a consumer? That hut might not look that appealing from the outside, but upon entering you see that it's super comfy and has all the necessary accommodations. Meanwhile that Skyscraper might look nice from the outside, but only half of the floors are actually finished upon entering, with caution signs everywhere.

I don't really like anime either, but this game really isn't anime. Maybe the character portraits? But that's such a nit-picky thing to complain about, and as somebody who also doesn't like that medium, it didn't really bother me. Fun game though, well worth the 20 bucks.

Stellar artstyle and voice acting. Great gameplay, writing and fun progression. Good boss design. So-so level design and non-boss enemies. I've beaten it 6 times and feel I've gotten a bit of my share of it for now, the replayability in terms of core gameplay is great but the levels and enemies just get a bit too repetitive and the panoply of new dialog dries up as you advance. Also, while the progression is great until you get to the final boss, I feel that once you get there you're so powerful (unless you gimp yourself) that the only thing that can possibly kill you is said final boss anyway, so the rest of the run kind of feels like a speedbump on the way to the actual problem.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I'm sorry but when people say things like

Going out of your way to continue to prove my comment right is appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Game of the year ez.
    I have not played all the contenders, but played most... hands down Game of the year so far... CyberPunk being delayed after going gold, is not a good sign for Hades to keep that title long. I have a lot of hope, based on the development cycle.

Ohh... and since people like hot takes... Godfall has the best combat of the year. In fact, other than being super flashy, that’s all there is to the game. Which actually makes me happy... fuck the story... give me an elevator of escalating mobs to combo through.

Putting out better games, at lower cost, is helping the industry. Where is this attack on small businesses even coming from?

I am sorry, if you want compelling gameplay, indy games is where it’s at. I will buy every game that Double Fine, Supergiant games, Klei, Grasshopper and behemoth puts out... because of their track record... and those games are not spiking to 70$ this gen. Can’t say that for EA or UBI soft... although, can’t go wrong with an Insomniac game... and there is always hope for rare... hope...... fleeting........

Edit: Oh and since I mentioned combat... My basis for saying Godfall has the best combat, is being a huge Platinum Games fanboy... if you value your combat systems, you’d be too...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-11-15 at 01:52 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Ohh... and since people like hot takes... Godfall has the best combat of the year. In fact, other than being super flashy, that’s all there is to the game. Which actually makes me happy... fuck the story... give me an elevator of escalating mobs to combo through.
    Not to get off-topic, but ehhh. I find the combat a little exhausting and samey. You do so much of it. Basically, it's wall-to-wall fighting and doesn't change up that much.

Excellent game. I’ve only made it to elysium twice and both times blew it because I ended up in a “fued” room and got my ass smacked down hard and never recovered. My best runs are with the lance, but I’m intrigued at people talking up the bow, it’s my worst weapon that maybe I’ll give another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Excellent game. I’ve only made it to elysium twice and both times blew it because I ended up in a “fued” room and got my ass smacked down hard and never recovered. My best runs are with the lance, but I’m intrigued at people talking up the bow, it’s my worst weapon that maybe I’ll give another shot.
    I had most luck with fists, especially with upgrade that gives them 900% damage bonus on armor. It makes them insanely strong starting from Asphodel.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Bow is slightly higher skill floor if you use normal attack.
    If you use special it's practically just a melee weapon. Get right up in everyone's face, special, dash, repeat.

If you can get a good Daedalus hammer and boon early, you're set.
    The only "problems" (more annoyances, really) are the archers in Elysium since they run all over the place and are hard to hit

Hans there been any talk about Hades coming to PS4 and PS5 in the near future??