Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Further, the necromancer concept in of itself never states that a necromancer NEEDS to be a frail spell caster, and in fact Blizzard has created melee-based necromancers in other games (as have other RPG makers).
    You're right, the Necromancer doesn't need to be... A Death Knight. Your argument throughout is that it would inly be a Death Knight, when your explanation here makes it clear that a Necromancer can have different themes and mechanics derived from other games and sources.

Just as much as you are trying to make a case they are too similar and would be even more similar if they were melee, theres more than enough to build an entirely new identity such as how Monks were presented with Mistweaving and Windwalking.

Heck, most people who are talking about Necromancers are even expecting a Heal spec out of it, which makes sense since Necromancers are support casters in the RTS and usually mirror the Priestly healer units.

Your example really doesn't line up with what we're talking about here. You're arguing that Blizzard needs to address a group of fans that demand a necromancer class
    I think you are misunderstanding.

There is no need for Blizzard to appease any group. They get final say on any decision. This is why we don't have a new class this expansion.

The point I make is in direct response to you claiming that there is no reason for a Necromancer class. I am presenting a very significant reason - popular demand. This is the sole reason the Demon Hunter is playable today despite all the reasons you used previously to dismiss it.

Blizzard didn't have to make a Demon Hunter playable at all. They chose to.

So what reason would they have to make a class that has very limited unique mechanics, only 2 specs worth of gameplay, that has very simplified mechanics, that is exclusive to 2 races, wears leather yet again, and takes away gameplay from other classes?

To please fan demand. To sell more copies of the game. Period.

There are Warlock players who are still bitter about losing metamorphosis to Warlocks. Imagine that bitterness magnified because Death Knights would be forced to lose abilities
    You mean how they lost all these necromantic abilities in order for Covenants to provide necromantic abilities for all classes? Oh wait, they were able to make completely new necromantic abilities that didn't infringe on DK gameplay, go figure!

Your argument amounts to DKs play like Warlocks since you are comparing the Necromancer directly to both classes. Your argument would imply that DKs having minions directly takes away from the Warlocks unique Summoner theme. Your argument implies Warlocks can be DKs because they both use Necromancy.

You just don't realize how baseless and invalid those arguments are because you're hyper focused on dismissing the Necromancer while using arguments like 'Warlocks already use Necromancy' and 'Another class that uses Necromancy would take things away from the Death Knight' are in direct conflict with one another. Your argument invalidates itself on the basis of the game already showing clear precedent for none of that mattering.

If Blizzard was really worried about what fans felt, then Pandarens and Gnomes would have been removed from the game long ago. That's the argument you're making here.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-13 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You're right, the Necromancer doesn't need to be... A Death Knight. Your argument throughout is that it would inly be a Death Knight, when your explanation here makes it clear that a Necromancer can have different themes and mechanics derived from other games and sources.
    Yeah, that was never my argument. My argument is that Blizzard chose to make their Necromancer concept the DK class. The fact that there is a vocal group of people who don't agree with that decision is rather irrelevant to the facts of the matter.

Just as much as you are trying to make a case they are too similar and would be even more similar if they were melee, theres more than enough to build an entirely new identity such as how Monks were presented with Mistweaving and Windwalking.

Heck, most people who are talking about Necromancers are even expecting a Heal spec out of it, which makes sense since Necromancers are support casters in the RTS and usually mirror the Priestly healer units.
    Yes, using the same thematics as the Death Knight tanking spec; Using Blood magic to heal.

I think you are misunderstanding.

There is no need for Blizzard to appease any group. They get final say on any decision. This is why we don't have a new class this expansion.
    Again you're confusing what Blizzard the company wants and what a group of vocal fans want. It's not the same thing. Blizzard the company makes new expansions because they want to further the franchise. Blizzard more than likely is not going to create another WoW necromancer class because a group of people don't like Death Knights.

The point I make is in direct response to you claiming that there is no reason for a Necromancer class. I am presenting a very significant reason - popular demand. This is the sole reason the Demon Hunter is playable today despite all the reasons you used previously to dismiss it.

Blizzard didn't have to make a Demon Hunter playable at all. They chose to.

So what reason would they have to make a class that has very limited unique mechanics, only 2 specs worth of gameplay, that has very simplified mechanics, that is exclusive to 2 races, wears leather yet again, and takes away gameplay from other classes?

To please fan demand. To sell more copies of the game. Period.
    It wasn't popular demand that got the Demon Hunter in the game. Blizzard themselves stated that they planned to release the DH class in TBC, but they weren't able to. Thus they waited until Legion to reintroduce the class. It really had nothing to do with popular demand, and everything to do with Blizzard wanting the class in the game.

I mean look at Shadowlands; Why is there no new Necromancer class if there's such a huge public demand? This very expansion disproves your entire argument.

Yes, using the same thematics as the Death Knight tanking spec; Using Blood magic to heal.
    Or unholy magic, which is what the RTS games used for support. Like you said, there's plenty of RPG and Warcraft lore material to source through that isn't bound by 'Blood magic to heal'. Even the Fungal experiments in Naxxramas created a lifeform that had incredible regenerative properties.

You're only focused on Blood magic to heal 'just like DK's as a means to dismiss the possibility of a Necromancer class, which is an invalid argument. There's no point in making that assumption that Blood Magic would be the only Necromantic way to heal others. We have plenty of Unholy and Alchemical sources of healing in the game.

Again you're confusing what Blizzard the company wants and what a group of vocal fans want. It's not the same thing. Blizzard the company makes new expansions because they want to further the franchise. Blizzard more than likely is not going to create another WoW necromancer class because a group of people don't like Death Knights.
    Again, you're confusing the argument by applying it to the Death Knight. Necromancer class would be fueled by fan demand, not appeasing a dislike for Death Knights. It's that simple.

Even if it were added as a Class skin of the Warlock, this would be appeasing Necromancer demand. It has nothing to do with a Death Knight. I am absolutely clear on addressing the fan demand, not your absurd twisted reality that Necromancy is mutually exclusive to DK's and it's a 'take it or leave it' situation. You already tried this with the Warlock and failed miserably.

It wasn't popular demand that got the Demon Hunter in the game. Blizzard themselves stated that they planned to release the DH class in TBC, but they weren't able to.
    Didn't really stop you from making arguments that Warlocks took all the room and making baseless claims that there was too much overlap for a DH to be released, did it?

Necromancer was planned since Vanilla as well. And just because elements of its gameplay got used by the Death Knight doesn't mean the class concept is gone - this EXACT thing happened with the Demon Hunter having its gameplay elements used by the Warlock.

To be honest, the gameplay of Melee and Ranged Caster are so different that I don't see there being any need to remove any DK summon abilities in order to have a Necromancer class. The Warlock already exists and shows that there's room for multiple Summoner types in the game.

We don't have a Summoner class that can be a Healer. We don't have a Spellcaster class that masters in Poisons and Alchemy. We don't have Scourge representation for Spiders. There's plenty of material that is left untapped to play with. And none of this has to do with infringing on DK's or Warlocks, considering they can absolutely bridge in these concepts as well without it impacting any other class. We already have DK's with Frost spells and Mages using Necromantic abilities in the game, I honestly don't see you bitching a storm about this.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-13 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or unholy magic, which is what the RTS games used for support. Like you said, there's plenty of RPG and Warcraft lore material to source through that isn't bound by 'Blood magic to heal'. Even the Fungal experiments in Naxxramas created a lifeform that had incredible regenerative properties.

You're only focused on Blood magic to heal 'just like DK's as a means to dismiss the possibility of a Necromancer class, which is an invalid argument. There's no point in making that assumption that Blood Magic would be the only Necromantic way to heal others. We have plenty of Unholy and Alchemical sources of healing in the game.
    Where in that description of the Necromancer from Blizzard's ultimate guide was "fungal experiments" or"Alchemy" mentioned in any capacity? That isn't a Warcraft necromancer.

Again, you're confusing the argument by applying it to the Death Knight. Necromancer class would be fueled by fan demand, not appeasing a dislike for Death Knights. It's that simple.
    Where do you think this "demand" is coming from? It's coming from "fans" who don't like the Death Knight for whatever reason, simple as that.

Even if it were added as a Class skin of the Warlock, this would be appeasing Necromancer demand. It has nothing to do with a Death Knight. I am absolutely clear on addressing the fan demand, not your absurd twisted reality that Necromancy is mutually exclusive to DK's and it's a 'take it or leave it' situation. You already tried this with the Warlock and failed miserably.
    Except Necromancer fans don't want a class skin, they want a separate class completely. They have stated this many times, even going so far as pretending that a Necromancer class that pretty does exactly the same thing as a DK class wouldn't impede on Death Knight players, which is nonsense.

Also necromancy isn't exclusive to Death Knights. There are necromancy abilities in the Warlock class as well.

Didn't really stop you from making arguments that Warlocks took all the room and making baseless claims that there was too much overlap for a DH to be released, did it?
    While Warlocks had metamorphosis and it's associated abilities it wasn't baseless, especially considering it had to be removed in order for Demon Hunters to become a WoW class.

Necromancer was planned since Vanilla as well. And just because elements of its gameplay got used by the Death Knight doesn't mean the class concept is gone - this EXACT thing happened with the Demon Hunter having its gameplay elements used by the Warlock.

To be honest, the gameplay of Melee and Ranged Caster are so different that I don't see there being any need to remove any DK summon abilities in order to have a Necromancer class. The Warlock already exists and shows that there's room for multiple Summoner types in the game. Necromancers can simply rely on different mechanics of summoning, such as an Auto-chess style of minion generation and manipulation.
    Except the gameplay isn't all that different. When I play an Unholy DK and pull with Clawed Shadows or Epidemic, the mob charges into melee range and attempts to attack me. The exact same thing happens when I'm playing as a mage, or as a Warlock. The only difference is that as a DK I can smash them with a sword and hit them with instant cast spells while my pet is gnawing on them. In groups I can alternate between melee and range at will, especially as Unholy, which probably explains why its top DPS right now.

Interesting that the necromancer spec is the best in the game right now isn't it?

I also disagree that there's multiple ways to summon. Given how much Blizzard has struggled balancing the Demonology spec since Legion, the idea that they could simply make ANOTHER caster summoning spec as if it was easy is laughable.

Where in that description of the Necromancer from Blizzard's ultimate guide was "fungal experiments" or"Alchemy" mentioned in any capacity? That isn't a Warcraft necromancer.
    Er....

What? Why are you talking about the Ultimate Guide which is already proven to have inconsistencies, mistakes, and has information that has been retconned by WoW itself?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_W...e_Visual_Guide

All of the information I've provided is from the latest canonical source you can find - the game itself.

Where do you think this "demand" is coming from? It's coming from "fans" who don't like the Death Knight for whatever reason, simple as that.
    LOL

I mean if that's the case, then all Tinker fans are people who hate Necromancers and don't want them possibly being added in the game because it infringes on their own personal wants for a Tinker class. Sound about right to you?

Tinkers and Necromancers are both in demand because fans want to see these made into classes. Any hatred over another class concept is as pointless to debate as people who have hatred over Pandaren and Gnomes. Do you think that the Gnome hatred contributes to the lack of a Tinker class? I don't think Blizzard considers this a factor at all. There's plenty of other legitimate reasons to not have a Tinker class. Fans hating Gnomes isn't one of them.

Also necromancy isn't exclusive to Death Knights. There are necromancy abilities in the Warlock class as well.
    And it is also available to Necromancers, as well as every class in the game in Shadowlands.

Death Knights need not worry.

Except the gameplay isn't all that different. When I play an Unholy DK and pull with Clawed Shadows or Epidemic, the mob charges into melee range and attempts to attack me. The exact same thing happens when I'm playing as a mage, or as a Warlock.
    Not if you have a tanking pet. Seems like you've never played a Warlock before.

I also disagree that there's multiple ways to summon.
    So you disagree that DK and Warlock both have an ability to summon? Odd.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-13 at 10:18 PM.

3+ Year Old Account

You mean how they lost all these necromantic abilities in order for Covenants to provide necromantic abilities for all classes? Oh wait, they were able to make completely new necromantic abilities that didn't infringe on DK gameplay, go figure!

Your argument amounts to DKs play like Warlocks since you are comparing the Necromancer directly to both classes. Your argument would imply that DKs having minions directly takes away from the Warlocks unique Summoner theme. Your argument implies Warlocks can be DKs because they both use Necromancy.
    Blizzard can make a Necromancer class work, and stuff like that is proof that they can. Even if they have to totally make one up from scratch
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Er....

What? Why are you talking about the Ultimate Guide which is already proven to have inconsistencies, mistakes, and has information that has been retconned by WoW itself?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_W...e_Visual_Guide
    And that doesn't make it any less official.

All of the information I've provided is from the latest canonical source you can find - the game itself.
    Which also has consistency issues. BTW, while the ultimate guide isn't perfect, none of the consistency issues involves the Necromancer.

LOL

I mean if that's the case, then all Tinker fans are people who hate Necromancers and don't want them possibly being added in the game because it infringes on their own personal wants for a Tinker class. Sound about right to you?
    Nope, since the Tinker has nothing to do with Necromancers. Tinker fans want a technology-based class. Necromancer fans want to ignore the existing necromancer class. Which once again begs the question; Why would anyone think that Blizzard would cater to their desires?

Tinkers and Necromancers are both in demand because fans want to see these made into classes. Any hatred over another class concept is as pointless to debate as people who have hatred over Pandaren and Gnomes. Do you think that the Gnome hatred contributes to the lack of a Tinker class? I don't think Blizzard considers this a factor at all. There's plenty of other legitimate reasons to not have a Tinker class. Fans hating Gnomes isn't one of them.
    And once again, there's already a Necromancer class using the Necromancer's WC3 abilities in WoW. There is no technology class in WoW using the Tinker hero's abilities. Necromancer fans want a necromancer because Blizzard's necromancer class doesn't measure up to their standards, while Tinker fans want a WoW technology class.

The two examples are not remotely driven by the same thing.

And it is also available to Necromancers, as well as every class in the game in Shadowlands.

Death Knights need not worry.
    There's a difference between every class getting a necromancer ability as an expansion feature, and another dedicated Necromancer class.

Not if you have a tanking pet. Seems like you've never played a Warlock before.
    You do know that not every Warlock pet tanks right?

So you disagree that DK and Warlock both have an ability to summon? Odd.
    DK is melee based, Warlock is ranged base. You're advocating for another ranged summoner, which Blizzard has experienced balance struggles with via demonology.

Which begs another question; Why do we need another undead summoner spec?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Blizzard can make a Necromancer class work, and stuff like that is proof that they can. Even if they have to totally make one up from scratch
    How does Blizzard make a Necromancer class work without effecting the Death Knight or Warlock classes?

And please don't say it wouldn't, because that would be a blatantly false statement.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-02-13 at 10:48 PM.

It isn't about being satisfied, it's about recognizing that there is a Necromancer class in the game and another class that is extremely close to the concept. The fact that there are people out there not satisfied with WoW's version of the necromancer doesn't change that fact.
    And yet... paladins and priests exist.

The difference being that there is nothing that a Necromancer can do that a Death Knight couldn't do ability wise. Demon Hunters will never get summonable minions and Paladins will never get a shadow spec.
    And there is nothing paladins can do that paladins can't. Not to mention that this argument of yours becomes invalid when you point out that there other things that necromancers could do that death knights cannot, like using poison magic.

In all truth there really is no difference. Disease performs exactly the same function that poison would.
    This argument is nonsensical. Magic dots perform the exact same as a curse dot. And yet we have fire mages and affliction warlocks.

In terms of Warlocks, their various DoT abilities also function exactly like Poison DoTs would.
    Again: this argument is nonsensical. The Shadow priest dots function exactly like the warlock's dots do. And yet both exist.

In short, Poison as a concept would add no new gameplay mechanics to the class,
    Because you're thinking in terms of the most simplistic type of gameplay: "this is a dot", "this is direct damage", etc, and fail to see that it's not the abilities themselves that give unique gameplay to a class, but the interactions between the abilities and the passives of a given class. Which is why both Shadow priests and Affliction warlocks can be heavy shadow-dot-based specs: because their abilities interact in different ways. That is why we can have frost DKs and frost mages: because their abilities interact in different ways. That is why we can have affliction warlocks and fire mages: because their abilities interact in different ways.

and in all honest would play exactly like a Warlock currently plays.
    You? Honest? That's a laugh. Especially since you're making an assertion of fact that you have no way of knowing because the necromancer class does not exist yet.

And we got the class fantasy in 2008.
    The class is also a light-armored spellcaster, not a heavy-armored melee character. So, no, we haven't gotten the class fantasy we want, yet.

- - - Updated - - -

According to that description, Death Knights and Necromancers are one and the same.
    No. They are not the same. Being similar does not mean "the same".

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because the WoW class system is fundamentally different than WC3 units. In addition, Necromancers exist alongside DKs in lore, but they can’t coexist within the class system due to significant overlap.
    This is demonstrably false in so many levels, and demonstrated as such, many times over too, in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Except the gameplay isn't all that different. When I play an Unholy DK and pull with Clawed Shadows or Epidemic, the mob charges into melee range and attempts to attack me. The exact same thing happens when I'm playing as a mage, or as a Warlock. The only difference is that as a DK I can smash them with a sword and hit them with instant cast spells while my pet is gnawing on them.
    Where as as a mage or warlock or necromancer, you would instead move away from the mob, usually by rooting it, slowing it, or fearing it.

Interesting that the necromancer spec is the best in the game right now isn't it?
    You mean the death knight's unholy spec. And it's because the majority of the damage is done by the pets, that can stay attacking the target when the death knight has to move away from the boss.

I also disagree that there's multiple ways to summon. Given how much Blizzard has struggled balancing the Demonology spec since Legion, the idea that they could simply make ANOTHER caster summoning spec as if it was easy is laughable.
    We have the warlock, the hunter and the death knight. Do you honestly think it'd be such a insurmountable undertaking to bring forth a fourth summoner class? I mean, I have one lined up in my sig that plays differently than what we got.

- - - Updated - - -

How does Blizzard make a Necromancer class work without effecting the Death Knight or Warlock classes?
    Check my concept and you'll find out how. It's not hard, really.

And please don't say it wouldn't, because that would be a blatantly false statement.
    Why? Only you can make blatantly false statements? And on top of that, your statement, right there, is "blatantly false". Demonstrably so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And yet... paladins and priests exist.

And there is nothing paladins can do that paladins can't. Not to mention that this argument of yours becomes invalid when you point out that there other things that necromancers could do that death knights cannot, like using poison magic.
    Shadow magic, which Priests have an entire spec dedicated to, and Paladins will never have beyond an a feature in a Necromancer-based expansion that mysteriously is absent of a new Necromancer class.

In the end, according to Blizzard, Necromancers don’t use poison magic, and there’s no new Necromancer class in shadowlands because DKs cover the concept completely. This is also why Blizzard expanded the DK concept in Shadowlands instead. Every class got a Necromancer ability, DK got more Necromancer concepts, and we’re steeped in the history of death magic and Necromancy in WoW, yet there’s no new Necromancer class....

Due to these facts, there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

Does that go for Tinker as well? Are you ending your discussion on that subject? Or just the ones you dont like? You just stamp your feet and say "not talking about this anymore, please get back to making this all about me"

Seems kind of strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Does that go for Tinker as well? Are you ending your discussion on that subject? Or just the ones you dont like? You just stamp your feet and say "not talking about this anymore, please get back to making this all about me"

Seems kind of strange.
    There’s no technology class in the game using the Tinker’s abilities from WC3 and/or HotS, and there’s no statement from Blizzard saying they took the ideas of the Tinker and placed them in class X, so no.

There’s no technology class in the game using the Tinker’s abilities from WC3 and/or HotS, so no.
    Due to Blizzard never even once hinting they have even given a seconds thought to a Tinker class, unfortunately, there is no reason to continue this discussion.

Sorry mate, I'm confident you will find something else to obsess over, but this is now at an end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Due to Blizzard never even once hinting they have even given a seconds thought to a Tinker class, unfortunately, there is no reason to continue this discussion.

Sorry mate, I'm confident you will find something else to obsess over, but this is now at an end.
    The Island Expedition team and the Goblin and Gnome characters on Exiles Reach would be examples of such hints.

And that doesn't make it any less official.
    You're right. It just makes it irrelevant.

Nope, since the Tinker has nothing to do with Necromancers. Tinker fans want a technology-based class. Necromancer fans want to ignore the existing necromancer class. Which once again begs the question; Why would anyone think that Blizzard would cater to their desires?
    Necromancers have nothing to do with Death Knights. That's the bottom line.

To cater to a Necromancer class demand is to cater to Necromancer fans. That you're equating it to Death Knights is purely conjecture, since it's absolutely clear that they are not the same concepts at all.

You're trying to prove something that is absolutely clearly invalidated by Blizzard themselves. Death Knights aren't the Necromancer class.

And once again, there's already a Necromancer class using the Necromancer's WC3 abilities in WoW.
    Nope, there isn't. If there was a Necromancer class, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

There's a difference between every class getting a necromancer ability as an expansion feature, and another dedicated Necromancer class.
    Yes, and the point I make is that these arguments are overall irrelevant to the dedicated Necromancer class. They're not actually about a Necromancer class, they're all about Covenants or Death Knights. None of these things are mutually exclusive to Necromancy and what it a Necromancer class would represent.

You do know that not every Warlock pet tanks right?
    And not every Warlock has summons. And not every Death Knight has summons.

I'll give you one guess where Necromancers can be different.

DK is melee based, Warlock is ranged base. You're advocating for another ranged summoner, which Blizzard has experienced balance struggles with via demonology.

Which begs another question; Why do we need another undead summoner spec?
    Why do we need any new class?

To appease the demand for it.

The question all comes down to whether or not Blizzard deems that demand sufficient. There is no question as to whether or not it is legitimate, we already know it is considering they actively planned to create a Necromancer class in the game at one point in time. We are not privvy to their industry secrets to know if they would plan one again in the future, in one form or another. The Death Knight is clearly one aspect of the Necromancer, but we know it is not the Necromancer in the same way we knew the Warlock had everything unique about a Demon Hunter, yet ended up not representing the Demon Hunter whatsoever in the end.

Look at the Demon Hunter class today. Would you honestly say that this entire class is nothing more than a Warlock spec? Would you go into the Demon Hunter subforums today and say their class is completely irrelevant because they could have been playing Warlocks instead? There's a place for the Demon Hunter class in the game, it's that simple.

If any of the arguments that you presented here and now actually applied, then we would never have been able to get the Demon Hunter class. Your arguments are invalid because a Demon Hunter class exists despite the same arguments you are using right now.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-14 at 12:55 AM.

Shadow magic, which Priests have an entire spec dedicated to, and Paladins will never have beyond an a feature in a Necromancer-based expansion that mysteriously is absent of a new Necromancer class.
    Allow me to fix what I originally wrote, I noticed the mistake after you quoted me: "there is nothing paladins can do that priests can't."

In the end, according to Blizzard, Necromancers don’t use poison magic,
    Grand Widow Faerlina begs to differ. And the huge prevalence of drider-like characters in Maldraxxus.

and there’s no new Necromancer class in shadowlands because DKs cover the concept completely.
    Not only demonstrably false, and already demonstrated as false, too.

we’re steeped in the history of death magic and Necromancy in WoW, yet there’s no new Necromancer class....
    Because, as I pointed out numerous times and you always ignore it: it's likely because we're in an expansion about the afterlife, and necromancers are not about the afterlife.

"Facts"? More like factoids.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2021-02-14 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right. It just makes it irrelevant.
    Nah, a vocal group demanding another Necromancer class is irrelevant, not an official guide to WoW from Blizzard.

Necromancers have nothing to do with Death Knights. That's the bottom line.
    If DKs have nothing to do with necromancers why did Blizzard place the ideas surrounding Necromancers into the DK class? Why did Blizzard push necromantic ability expansion in the Unholy spec? Why is the DK class housing the Necromancer unit’s WC3 abilities? Why is Blizzard’s definition of a Necromancer pretty much 1:1 with the Death Knight class?

To cater to a Necromancer class demand is to cater to Necromancer fans. That you're equating it to Death Knights is purely conjecture, since it's absolutely clear that they are not the same concepts at all.
    See above. We have a definition of a WoW Necromancer from Blizzard, so it is pointless to attempt to expand that definition based on personal opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Allow me to fix what I originally wrote, I noticed the mistake after you quoted me: "there is nothing paladins can do that priests can't."
    Priests can’t be free of shadow magic.

Grand Widow Faerlina begs to differ. And the huge prevalence of drider-like characters in Maldraxxus.
    Not a Necromancer, as backed by WoW’s ultimate guide via Blizzard.

Because, as I pointed out numerous times and you always ignore it: it's likely because we're in an expansion about the afterlife, and necromancers are not about the afterlife.
    Afterlife is a synonym of Death.

Nah, a vocal group demanding another Necromancer class is irrelevant, not an official guide to WoW from Blizzard.
    The group isn't vocal at all, that's my point.

The popular demand isn't coming from fans on forums. It's present within company considering how much Necromancy has expanded in the lore since Wrath of the Lich King. It's present with the record-breaking, widespread success of this expansion, which is based heavily around the theme of Necromancy.

We've had more varied lore on how expansive Necromancy actually is than practically any other type of magic. We haven't had an expansion based on Shamanism or Druidism or Arcane magic. We've had two dealing specifically with Necromancy.

If there was no demand, then Shadowlands and Covenants wouldn't exist.

Blizzard is seeing and will continue to see that even with Shadowlands and Covenants, the demand for an actual Class will still continue. It will be up to them how they choose to address it in the future.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-14 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The group isn't vocal at all, that's my point.

The popular demand isn't coming from fans on forums. It's present within company considering how much Necromancy has expanded in the lore since Wrath of the Lich King.

We've had more varied lore on how expansive Necromancy actually is than practically any other type of magic. We haven't had an expansion based on Shamanism or Druidism or Arcane magic. We've had two dealing specifically with Necromancy.

If there was no demand, then Shadowlands and Covenants wouldn't exist.
    Then where’s the new Necromancer class in Shadowlands? Why was the Necromancer concept expanded in the DK class instead?

Your argument here simply doesn’t gel with reality.

Then where’s the new Necromancer class in Shadowlands? Why was the Necromancer concept expanded in the DK class instead?

Your argument here simply doesn’t gel with reality.
    Because they decided to explore Covenants instead of any new class. Same reason why they didn't make a Tech-themed expansion to introduce a Tinker class.

Necromancy is far more in demand than Tech themes.

Priests can’t be free of shadow magic.
    Irrelevant. The point is that what I said counters what you said earlier. Again: nothing paladins can do, priests can't. Paladins are pure holy magic, and priests have holy magic as well. So, technically, everything the paladins can do, the priests also can. Therefore, by your logic, paladins are a class that shouldn't exist in the game, because priests already cover everything paladins can do.

Not a Necromancer, as backed by WoW’s ultimate guide via Blizzard.
    It does not say she is not a necromancer, plus the Ultimate Visual Guide has inconsistencies and parts of it de-canonized by Blizzard. Also, she is a high-ranking member of the Cult of the Damned. And on top of that, I doubt you'd consider Nathrezims and Nerubians to be death knights... and yet their abilities and themes were given to the death knight class when it was made playable.

Afterlife is a synonym of Death.
    You're playing semantics, here. "Death" and "afterlife" are not the same, in this case. That's like saying that "vehicle" and "motorcycle" are synonyms.

Necromancers are not about the afterlife. They're about undeath. Their theme and concept does not fit the general theme and concept of Shadowlands, which is, again: the afterlife. Which is why I agree with Blizzard when they said that "no class jumped at them".