How should we look at the War of the Ancients trilogy now?

In the trilogy from Knaak (please, no jokes that we just have to ignore any of his work or something like that), the Old Gods tried to seek the passage of time so that Sargeras could enter Azeroth and free them, after which they would kill him. But in the new lore, the Old Gods have no chance against Sargeras, he would have destroyed them in seconds. And they could not have been unaware of his power, because they clearly remember how Amantul tore their brother out of the ground and split them apart. And we cannot say that this trilogy is non-canon because we saw Brox and Rhonin in Illidan's memories. So what happened? Why would the Old Gods try to let Sargeras in if he could kill them easily?

I’m rusty on this aspect of the lore but could it be related to the whole “old gods too entangled into the planet” thing? Though I thought that meant they couldn’t die....and we’ve killed the other ones apparently.

7+ Year Old Account
    It was obviously retconned.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    And we cannot say that this trilogy is non-canon because we saw Brox and Rhonin in Illidan's memories. So what happened? Why would the Old Gods try to let Sargeras in if he could kill them easily?
    Probably a small retcon. They could explain that the freed Old Gods would somehow open the way for the Void Lords or such. That way Sargeras would still lose.

The Old Gods were banking on corrupting the World Soul BEFORE Sargeras killed them.

The Old Gods would then demolish Sargeras with their Void Titan.

That is my rationalization of how they'd kill him.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The Old Gods were banking on corrupting the World Soul BEFORE Sargeras killed them.

The Old Gods would then demolish Sargeras with their Void Titan.

That is my rationalization of how they'd kill him.
    How will they do it? In one second? Sargeras will enter Azeroth and that's it, they won't be able to do anything.

How will they do it? In one second? Sargeras will enter Azeroth and that's it, they won't be able to do anything.
    The Old Gods are typically arrogant and overconfident, and often underestimate their opponents. This is nothing unusual. They thought they could deceive Sargeras, but maybe their plan would have failed horribly.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I thought the implication back then was that the Old Gods were baking on trying to corrupt Sargeras.

Well, N'zoth didn't exactly need a whole lot of time and nearly won, and he was explicitly the weakest. They might also have mistaken him to be similar to the other Titans, who weren't to keen on accidentally destroying Azeroth. They are hardly infallible.

And for what it's worth, their plan did work, to a degree. All of them ended up freed eventually from the fallout.

Rewrite the whole thing. Richard A Knaak had to insert three random characters that had nothing to do with the original event. He even had his selfinsert Rhonin teach Illidan Stormrage (!!!) magic. Piss off already.

We should look at this horrible fanfiction work with disdain, as always. It never made sense to begin with, and the retcons that keep happening always eat chunks of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    Rewrite the whole thing. Richard A Knaak had to insert three random characters that had nothing to do with the original event. He even had his selfinsert Rhonin teach Illidan Stormrage (!!!) magic. Piss off already.
    You're damn right.

Crap, just like it was 15 years ago.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

It's been over a decade since I read the War of the Ancients trilogy, but Wowpedia states that the Old Gods were attempting to use the portal's energy to free themselves, not have Sargeras himself do it. The easiest expansion would be that doing so would cause the portal to fail and leave the Old Gods to their own devices (or else they actually thought they could take Sargeras).

It's also old lore from a time before Void Lords and Titans that could pluck Old Gods like weeds, so it's probably a detail best not paid much attention to.

I was tempted to post

Don't Ask Questions, Just Consume Product and Then Get Excited for Next Products.

But this is Knaak we're talking about... I don't know I'm conflicted.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Sufficiently retconned and superseded by Chronicles Vol. 1 I would say. There's some interesting minor details in the trilogy that might be worth knowing (if you can get past the hackneyed time travel and existence of Rhonin), but beyond that I would say it's relegated entirely to tertiary flavor lore.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Rewrite the trilogy with Night Elves only! Like the old RPG stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Sufficiently retconned and superseded by Chronicles Vol. 1 I would say. There's some interesting minor details in the trilogy that might be worth knowing (if you can get past the hackneyed time travel and existence of Rhonin), but beyond that I would say it's relegated entirely to tertiary flavor lore.
    The Chronicle describes the original timeline before the intervention of Krasus, Brox, and Rhonin. This will retconize the War of the Ancients from the Warcraft III manual, but not the Knaak trilogy because we still see the characters from the trilogy in the Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    It's been over a decade since I read the War of the Ancients trilogy, but Wowpedia states that the Old Gods were attempting to use the portal's energy to free themselves, not have Sargeras himself do it. The easiest expansion would be that doing so would cause the portal to fail and leave the Old Gods to their own devices (or else they actually thought they could take Sargeras).

It's also old lore from a time before Void Lords and Titans that could pluck Old Gods like weeds, so it's probably a detail best not paid much attention to.
    In the book, it was the arrival of Sargeras that would destroy their prisons. Once he entered Azeroth, their prisons would collapse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Chronicle describes the original timeline before the intervention of Krasus, Brox, and Rhonin. This will retconize the War of the Ancients from the Warcraft III manual, but not the Knaak trilogy because we still see the characters from the trilogy in the Legion.
    It actually seems to be a synthesis of the two, because one of the main timeline alterations performed in the War of the Ancients trilogy was the vouchsafing of several Blue Dragonflight eggs by Krasus, enough for the Blue Dragonflight not to effectively become extinct save for Malygos himself (their fate in the original timeline). Since Chonicles Vol. 1 then later details the presence of the Blue Dragonflight after the War of the Ancients in Crystalsong Forest, it would stand to reason that it incorporates Krasus' intervention, explaining why Blue dragons were around to effect later history.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead