7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    FF14 may be great game. Can't tell, because this game has shit ton of actual fanboys, in WoW literally everyone has something critical to say towards game. For sure their increase was huge last year, since they can't manage current number of players. But there is nothing to suggest they were ever even close to WoW subs, even last summer.
    That is my biggest issue that it has been months since the influx of people, and they still haven't come to a solution. Now I haven't checked if they made any statements that they are actively working on the solution or waiting for the influx to blow over.
    I assume that when you purchase over their site it doesn't count on the steam charts, as well since its cross platform (from a quick google search) so we can't accurately judge with the amount of flow they are dealing and the peaks.
    You may hate it but at least in Blizz they dealt in an automated way for the times when there was a jump in players (Sharding was added with Legion IIRC and since then queue times for expansions went way down).
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Maybe it was already answered, but we still don't know what these are for?

Living World Proximity Enter
    Living World Proximity Loop
    Living World Proximity Leave

But after Shadowlands I don't see how "living" world will be relevant again. Maybe something for the pre-patch and the transition between Shadowlands and the next expansion?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post

But after Shadowlands I don't see how "living" world will be relevant again. Maybe something for the pre-patch and the transition between Shadowlands and the next expansion?
    Depends if Living World is referring to Azeroth, or Life Realm. But in either way it can still be very relevant. Don't see how Azeroth could stop being relevant for an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    That is my biggest issue that it has been months since the influx of people, and they still haven't come to a solution. Now I haven't checked if they made any statements that they are actively working on the solution or waiting for the influx to blow over.
    I assume that when you purchase over their site it doesn't count on the steam charts, as well since its cross platform (from a quick google search) so we can't accurately judge with the amount of flow they are dealing and the peaks.
    You may hate it but at least in Blizz they dealt in an automated way for the times when there was a jump in players (Sharding was added with Legion IIRC and since then queue times for expansions went way down).
    There is nothing they can do. They tried to throw excessive amounts of money at the problem, but turns out even that doesn't help when there are no server hardware left to buy in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Oh yeah, millions of customers do not play the game after the first month because.. the game is fun. I am sure that is the reason. All those million lost subs must be because .. real life issues or.. well.. moonphases?
    Real life, money, friends doing something else... yes. You're the one who's cocksure it has to be solely because of "fun", while providing no evidence whatsoever as to why that would be and dumping on the devs for some perceived failures that you also don't provide any real evidence for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    There is nothing they can do. They tried to throw excessive amounts of money at the problem, but turns out even that doesn't help when there are no server hardware left to buy in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    The XIV devs hands were tied completely on the server issues. It was a perfect storm of bullshit that really was more amplified by the chasers that simp for streamers than anything else. Combine that with a global hardware shortage, SE themselves refusing to give XIV the budget jt deserved for almost a decade, legacy code problems etc. etc.
    Ah thanks for explaining, everything makes sense except the legacy code problems which is usually a cop-out unless working with a 3rd party systems.
    I assumed they were using a service to host their servers and not have their own machines but makes perfect sense that they would have trouble expanding at this time.

Ah thanks for explaining, everything makes sense except the legacy code problems which is usually a cop-out unless working with a 3rd party systems.
    I assumed they were using a service to host their servers and not have their own machines but makes perfect sense that they would have trouble expanding at this time.
    Oh they're absolutely still figuring out the sphagetti code and what the community refers to as "the 1.0 tax", the first disastrous launch wasn't just awful gameplay wise, there's coding gremlins they're STILL finding almost 10 years later. One of the biggest ones which was responsible for the abhorrent queue times was a bit of leftover 1.0 code that they literally couldn't find with internal testing, the playerbase were the ones who figured it out by looking at their connection in reverse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    Oh they're absolutely still figuring out the sphagetti code and what the community refers to as "the 1.0 tax", the first disastrous launch wasn't just awful gameplay wise, there's coding gremlins they're STILL finding almost 10 years later. One of the biggest ones which was responsible for the abhorrent queue times was a bit of leftover 1.0 code that they literally couldn't find with internal testing, the playerbase were the ones who figured it out by looking at their connection in reverse.
    No the legacy code issue is very very real for XIV. They had to build it off the back of 1.0 and it has caused them nothing but headaches this whole time as a result. One key example is job stones. There is no way to remove them, they've wanted to for years but theyre so hard coded in that removing them would cost an actual raid tier because of how much spaghetti it would take to fix. One big thing Im hoping they do post EW is a completely new engine or at least one that's built for XIV specifically. It might happen now that SE finally realized XIV is their most popular product by far.

They also have physical servers and the game can not be run on non physical servers because of the legacy code.
    Thanks for the info. What I mean by the legacy code issue is that when games use it it means it usually isn't worth the time/money/resources it would take to fix, not it being impossible. In other spheres where you need to change a part of a system decades old you just bite the bullet and do it since its a feature requirement, but in long lasting games there is usually better things to spend time on and then later down the way complain how the codebase got even worse (this isn't just a FFXIV issue, been an issue with WoW for a while that this excuse was used)

In retro it is easy to say "if they fixed it X years ago they could afford better scaling solutions for their servers now" but that just isn't how it works and until the popularity jump over 2021 there wasn't a need to spend time doing that
    Last edited by Shadochi; 2022-01-20 at 12:43 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Looks like this is either typical hint for next expansion or something directly connected to events post Jailer fight. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Looks like I was right!

No the legacy code issue is very very real for XIV. They had to build it off the back of 1.0 and it has caused them nothing but headaches this whole time as a result. One key example is job stones. There is no way to remove them, they've wanted to for years but theyre so hard coded in that removing them would cost an actual raid tier because of how much spaghetti it would take to fix. One big thing Im hoping they do post EW is a completely new engine or at least one that's built for XIV specifically. It might happen now that SE finally realized XIV is their most popular product by far.

They also have physical servers and the game can not be run on non physical servers because of the legacy code.
    I guess the 1.0 devs, aside from making a crap game, also made a crap documentation and engine.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I guess the 1.0 devs, aside from making a crap game, also made a crap documentation and engine.
    There is a good reason the entire team was scrapped and the game was rebooted.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Azeroth waking up would be fitting for "end of book 1" of Warcraft. Much more than killing ultra villain introduced last minute.
    If they want to be accused of ripping off FFXIV forever: Endwalker is literally about the soul of the planet waking up & taking human form

5+ Year Old Account
    Also seems like the friendship mount is in. https://www.wowhead.com/news/jailer-...thsteed-325681
    thats really ugly compared to previous aotc mounts
    Then the storm broke, and the dragons danced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    If they want to be accused of ripping off FFXIV forever: Endwalker is literally about the soul of the planet waking up & taking human form
    You know what they could do? They could make Azeroth=Elune and make it so that Elune was constrained and her power was diminished that's why she couldn't help the Night Elves or affect the world for the better as much, leading into finally us having to meet her and destroy her manifestation somehow "for the greater good".

Don't say it won't happen, anything could happen with this story team. Actually this is giving them ideas and let them please not focus on Elune etc. anymore since they have done a great job of butchering the characters and mythology of Warcraft already. If you're a fan of a particular part of Warcraft, pray they don't lay their finger on it.

Even I, who don't play the game understood that Hydaelyn is not the world soul but the creator of the world itself. Anyway, both stories have nothing in common, if Azeroth being given physical form is too much for the new ff14 fanboys then just move along...

Depends if Living World is referring to Azeroth, or Life Realm. But in either way it can still be very relevant. Don't see how Azeroth could stop being relevant for an expansion.
    Entering the living world only makes sense when we're outside of that, aka not in / on Azeroth, but for example in the Shadowlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like this is either typical hint for next expansion or something directly connected to events post Jailer fight. Or both.
    Yeah, it makes sense that it's either the time we leave the Shadowlands (at the end of the expansion) and come back to Azeroth or if the next expansion is taking place on another plane / realm than Azeroth (I hope it's the former and not the latter).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's beyond me why they copied so much of FFXIVs major plot in the last expansion(s). It really feels like a cheap rip off.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    Even I, who don't play the game understood that Hydaelyn is not the world soul but the creator of the world itself. Anyway, both stories have nothing in common, if Azeroth being given physical form is too much for the new ff14 fanboys then just move along...
    Then you're wrong because Hydaelyn is the sentient crystal who lives at the center of the planet, and that crystal extends through the entire planet, even at the surface. Yeah they probably cribbed some of that originally from WoW's worldsoul lore but for over a year it was apparent FFXIV was doing the whole "planet soul wake up" storyline.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Azeroth birth/awakening is obvious future event since she (it?) was revealed as titan soul.

Yeah, it's beyond me why they copied so much of FFXIVs major plot in the last expansion(s). It really feels like a cheap rip off.
    What exactly did they copy?