7+ Year Old Account
    I think Arthas send off was good. What else should happen? A ghost of him appear and go like "lol forgive me"? Or more Garrosh style "I regret nothing"? Get him send to Arbiter again for some happy lil redemption? A battered, amorphous soul remnant dissipating to a moody melody was great and did not ruin his ending from the past. Now, if it only was not Sylvi who did the send off...
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-03-19 at 07:33 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    The way people latch on to any mediocre white male character in warcraft is inspiring, honestly
    While I don't think he needed to be involved in SL at all and that people need to move the hell on, I think calling Arthas mediocre is just disingenuous and also a lazy shortcut for more "yaas kween"-ing.

Unless you meant Bolvar, in which case, absolutely - but part of the problem is that they marketed him front and center, slapped him on the box, and did fucking nothing with him, which is kind of on them. That is kind of a casualty of bad writing and doesn't feel intended, moreso than anyone latching.

Quote Originally Posted by Seasz View Post
    Incelthas deserved that and even less
    This, though...this I'm fascinated to hear more on. Please, enlighten us.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I think Arthas send off was good. What else should happen? A ghost of him appear and go like "lol forgive me"? Or more Garrosh style "I regret nothing"? Get him send to Arbiter again for some happy lil redemption? A battered, amorphous soul remnant dissipating to a moody melody was great and did not ruin his ending from the past. Now, if it only was not Sylvi who did the send off...
    I believe this is way more of an issue (the Sylvi part) than him just being shown as an Anima Orb. Doing anything further with him in SL would just be another "Break Glass" scenario, but feels bad having her take all the spotlight when more important figures in his life were there (Jaina and Uther).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Unless you meant Bolvar, in which case, absolutely - but part of the problem is that they marketed him front and center, slapped him on the box, and did fucking nothing with him, which is kind of on them. That is kind of a casualty of bad writing and doesn't feel intended, moreso than anyone latching.
    Um he wasn't slapped on a box, SL was actually the first one that didn't have any character at all (not even generic) on the box. But I understand what you mean, going into the expansion people assumed he would have a Magni/Khadgar role, but seems like they stepped down from having one character like that.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Um he wasn't slapped on a box, SL was actually the first one that didn't have any character at all (not even generic) on the box. But I understand what you mean, going into the expansion people assumed he would have a Magni/Khadgar role, but seems like they stepped down from having one character like that.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Wor...s_Base_Edition
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3dr0dE

Nobody, NOBODY bought this physical, so it's possible he wasn't on it afterall, but it was intended to be so.

I believe this is way more of an issue (the Sylvi part) than him just being shown as an Anima Orb. Doing anything further with him in SL would just be another "Break Glass" scenario, but feels bad having her take all the spotlight when more important figures in his life were there (Jaina and Uther).

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is because Sylvanas was the last one who still needed to have peace over Arthas though. Jaina made her peace over him during the BfA questline, Uther in SL... out of the three, I think she was the one who deserved closure the more, especially when acknowleding she had become the monster he was once.

I disliked many things about SL storytelling... but that cinematic I liked!

The primus actually is the jailer isnt he? What a plot twist lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Why would that alienate the playerbase? I am not being sassy here, just asking to understand your full thought.
    I am obviously not that guy, but my personal gripe with is the merging of classes. As much as I can see why they might want to do it, I definitely feel like that would alienate a lot of people. People don't want to be a retribution warrior, or priest, they want to be and *are* a paladin and I can't really imagine any mergers that would not leave people from the original class upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    *Writes poorly.*

"Actual human garbage. Serious disgrace. My priorities are not skewed in the slightest."

- - - Updated - - -

Anything that isn't literally first alpha build no changes is going to alienate the playerbase, if my reading of MMO-Champion posts is correct and informed.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of us are still coping and trying to pretend this story won't be entirely built on oneupsmanshp and retcons.
    Considering Marvel, DC, and Dragon Ball do this on the daily almost...

I'm not shocked WoW's doing this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedril View Post
    I am obviously not that guy, but my personal gripe with is the merging of classes. As much as I can see why they might want to do it, I definitely feel like that would alienate a lot of people. People don't want to be a retribution warrior, or priest, they want to be and *are* a paladin and I can't really imagine any mergers that would not leave people from the original class upset.
    Ah, in that sense. I thought he was referring to a world revamp alienating players, hence my confusion. Merging classes would be a terrible decision, and it would definitely upset people, on that we agree!

I think this is because Sylvanas was the last one who still needed to have peace over Arthas though. Jaina made her peace over him during the BfA questline, Uther in SL... out of the three, I think she was the one who deserved closure the more, especially when acknowleding she had become the monster he was once.

You have hit the nail on the head, Uther and Jaina have gotten over what Arthas did them and they have found peace, Sylvanas was the only character who hadn't had the chance too.

Quote Originally Posted by LightboundExpansion View Post
    10.0 is a soft reboot called Lightbound. Lordaeron is the main setting with a new leveling experience. It is its own continent so old Lordaeron still exists. New Lordaeron has a different shape since the zones aren’t 1:1. The New Lordaeron has been built up in a way that mixes both the Cataclysm revamp and the way Draenor was built off of Outland. The foundation for 10.0 has been worked on since after Legion, which is why people have datamined so many human related architecture over the years. It was originally going to be 9.0 with Shadowlands being the following expansion but some delays when working on Lordaeron in 2017 led to Shadowlands being made first. Lightbound was originally supposed to help build up the Jailor, the Shadowlands, and the mystery of the First Ones. Exile’s Reach originally was going to be about Lightbound ogres from Highmaul invading Azeroth rather than necromancers.

No other zones offer experience anymore. There is a leveling phase and a max level phase. Level 60 characters have things to do in all zones except for Exile’s Reach which was added in Shadowlands. Player cities in brackets.

01-10: Exile’s Reach
    01-10: Arathor (Stormgarde)
    01-10: Ebon Enclave (New Avalon)
    10-20: Hillsbrad Foothills
    10-20: The Channel Islands
    20-30: Silverpine Forest
    20-30: Zul’Dare
    30-40: Alterac Mountains (Alterac)
    30-40: Eastern Highlands (Hammerfall)
    40-45: The Hinterlands (Aerie Peak)
    40-45: Scarlet Coast
    45-50: Gilneas (Gilneas)
    45-50: Crushridge
    50-53: Eastweald (Stratholme)
    52-55: Tol Barad
    54-57: The Ghostlands
    56-59: Sunwell Isle
    58-60: Zul’Aman
    60-60: The Dragon Isles
    60-60: Lordaeron
    60-60: Quel’thalas

Level squish to 50. The original goal was to squish the levels back to 10 so even old players would have to level through all of Lordaeron's story, but now that Shadowlands brought in a squish already it's believed there would be a very negative response to going even further next time. The total level squishing and Chromie time was never intended to be a permanent change but instead a temporary band-aid while the new leveling system was worked on. Similarly old profession recipes and their related resources are becoming cosmetic only, making Lordaeron the only viable place for gameplay-enhancing profession work.

There are new dungeons from 15-60 (all with heroic and mythic level 60 versions). It's not yet decided whether old dungeons will be available to new players yet or if only the new dungeons will reward experience and gear.

Main story is focused on the Lightbound; a coalition of Yrel’s orc and draenei forces, Calia Menethil’s ‘new’ forsaken, Turalyon’s Alliance (which has conquered Silvermoon with the help of Liadrin), and the Scarlet Brotherhood. They are all working to drain Azeroth’s world soul to empower Xe’ra. The first raid is in a rebuilt holy Lordaeron City.

3 new neutral races; Dracona, Amani Trolls, Alteracis.

Classes and professions getting completely reworked. There are now no limits on how many professions you can have per character and progress is shared across all characters. Some classes are being merged making 5-6 spec classes with some shared traits and abilities. The number is being lowered from 12 to 8 classes. A few new specs for the classes that were not merged with another.

Cross faction guilds and grouping. No city, town, or quest in Lordaeron is faction locked. Previous expansion content is still faction locked.

New battleground set in Kul Tiras. Sides are auto-balanced and not Horde vs. Alliance. Previous battlegrounds are so far unchanged.
    This has got to have some of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen in a leak. Instead of a new class, they will remove classes? A new level squish after the last one. Alteracis? What even is that, besides a play on Alterac? Just so much bad in one "leak."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrexia View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head, Uther and Jaina have gotten over what Arthas did them and they have found peace, Sylvanas was the only character who hadn't had the chance too.
    Problem is that we don't really get Sylvanas accepting she became worse than Arthas, instead seemingly deciding to take a place of moral superiority when her character is already heavily disliked for her horrible morality in the game.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I think people disliked that it was predominately about Sylvanas with Jaina and Uther present. I think it just exacerbated people's concerns the story this expansion is entirely too focused on Sylvanas. You could argue Uther had closure of sorts when he dropped him in the Maw but not for his repentance after. And Jaina never had any closure I am aware of. While Sylvanas closure was detailed in the Edge of Night. We really didn't need more of her dialogue on the situation.

I know there are people who probably wanted to see Arthas actually speak or do something himself, but I agree his original story had a perfect ending. The less they touched on it the better in the end.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-03-19 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    The way people latch on to any mediocre white male character in warcraft is inspiring, honestly
    Or the fact the Lich King who was shown in legion and BfA to be a heavy hitter was reduced to a magni role

Then Arthas who you could argue was important to every character there got relegated to a little orb while Sylvanas goes “you hurt me so I committed genocide and only now do I get closure despite that being a thing over a decade ago because I’m a deep and complex character”

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Problem is that we don't really get Sylvanas accepting she became worse than Arthas, instead seemingly deciding to take a place of moral superiority when her character is already heavily disliked for her horrible morality in the game.
    I don't know, I kinda disagree as she admits herself she became a monster.

7+ Year Old Account

That makes sense. As a cinematic that one is great imo (first half being better than second, but second still good), my issue was just the timing of it when we already have her in the spotlight in every cinematic.

But I agree on Jaina and Uther points, for Jaina he was a love interest at most and its been over 11 years. She ended most of her story with him with Wrath and the rest in BfA as you said.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

That makes sense. As a cinematic that one is great imo (first half being better than second, but second still good), my issue was just the timing of it when we already have her in the spotlight in every cinematic.

But I agree on Jaina and Uther points, for Jaina he was a love interest at most and its been over 11 years. She ended most of her story with him with Wrath and the rest in BfA as you said.
    Plus, she's into dragons now... right? :x

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrexia View Post
    I don't know, I kinda disagree as she admits herself she became a monster.
    It's how it comes across in general. A problem that kinda begins with the whole Sylvanas soul split giving her plausible deniablity she really shouldnt have. The writers essentially cheated Sylvanas into not being fully responsible for her horrendous actions by using the soul split to give us a version of Sylvanas who has quite literally not done anything.
    It comes across as very cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Really I would have just had Arthas fade without saying much of anything.
    We see the soul, Jaina remarks how weak it is, Uther says there isnt enough of a soul to save at all, then it just fades in silence.
    None of the Sylvanas grandstanding, and instead we just get Arthas fading from the story completely in a way that doesnt leave any loose ends for the player, and lets us interpret how much culpability he really had without ever needing to actually take a firm stance on it.

Sylvanas being there really undercuts the impact when she is so horribly written. You can't really get anything resembling pathos from her when you are constantly reminded how schizophrenic the character is.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Dragons View Post
    Then Arthas who you could argue was important to every character there got relegated to a little orb while Sylvanas goes “you hurt me so I committed genocide and only now do I get closure despite that being a thing over a decade ago because I’m a deep and complex character”
    It's chiefly based on the mistaken belief that being more of a prick makes a character more complex. Curiously, it only makes her appear frustrating when her choices are entirely based on something which much of what is functionally an entire race and fully-functional nation has gotten over and learned to move past. Unfortunately, "tinpot dictator" doesn't work for some people even though it would quite frankly make her far more fun and interesting of a character if she were simply allowed to be a cunning and effective despot rather than a perpetually-moping edgelord.

I don't see Ersula's comment about "mediocre white male" characters making any sense when Sylvanas is made into the single most stereotypical, banal female villain ever by blaming all of her evil behaviors on a more-malicious male. Back in Warcraft III, we had a very good characterization for Sylvanas, and we got a pretty good, consistent motive for her well into Cataclysm. Unfortunately, "despot wants to avoid dying" isn't enough of a hook for Blizzard's writers because it involves having to write a character with actual depth or nuance based on a very simple premise, so they instead have to obfuscate horrendously superfluous and redundant characterization under "lol she's sad and angry at the universe". It could even be more interesting if there was some emphasis on what people who blame the inherent function of the universe for their own bad decisions are actually like—there are plenty of people in real life who decide that because people act immorally, they therefore have an excuse to act immorally, consequently inspiring more people to do the same etc. without any willingness to acknowledge the irony.

Essentially, the top-tier generic anti-hero we've gotten out of Sylvanas is a waste of several potentially good motives that were brought up and promptly discarded. Not every tinpot dictator needs to want to destroy the entire function of the universe—sometimes a tinpot dictator can simply sit in her dictatorship being the North Korea of WoW. The Forsaken were always a very interesting race when they had some diversity of interests but were generally united under Sylvanas' charismatic dictatorship—she was arguably the first quasi-modern personalistic dictator on Azeroth, and there was plenty to do with that. Her Cataclysm arc, for instance, showed plenty that could be done to put Sylvanas in the spotlight—Silverpine was a great questline and showed the Forsaken had plenty of potential other than moping over the now-dead Arthas' malignant actions for the rest of their eternal unlives.

Sylvanas being there really undercuts the impact when she is so horribly written. You can't really get anything resembling pathos from her when you are constantly reminded how schizophrenic the character is.
    Agreed. She had plenty of potential to be a very good character post-Arthas, and it would've been very fun to see her do something on a smaller scale.

We see the soul, Jaina remarks how weak it is, Uther says there isnt enough of a soul to save at all, then it just fades in silence.
    None of the Sylvanas grandstanding, and instead we just get Arthas fading from the story completely in a way that doesnt leave any loose ends for the player, and lets us interpret how much culpability he really had without ever needing to actually take a firm stance on it.
    I much prefer this thought. Sometimes less is more—instead of melancholy music and a soliloquy from a character everyone's already fucking sick of, we could get plenty more pathos and satisfaction from a scene that quietly wraps up Arthas forever.

It's how it comes across in general. A problem that kinda begins with the whole Sylvanas soul split giving her plausible deniablity she really shouldnt have. The writers essentially cheated Sylvanas into not being fully responsible for her horrendous actions by using the soul split to give us a version of Sylvanas who has quite literally not done anything.
    It comes across as very cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thing though, she isn't exactly the same Sylvanas as the one who committed those atrocities. Her soul is full now, former ranger general... and Teldrassil butcher. If the absolute psychopath that she was in previous expansions deserves no compassion from us... I feel for her former self, now merged with the monster that she has become. Even if that part of herself is only a fragment of her whole self... I think this part of her deserved closure. And now I'm gonna stop saying self, cause I said that a lot haha!