Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They already tried that when over watch launched and failed spectacularly.
    I would put that "tried" in quotation marks, because they certainly didn't went as nuclear on it as they could have. But then youtube is literally advertising wow asset flips and private servers every now and then, sometimes for weeks and that escapes them as well.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    I would put that "tried" in quotation marks, because they certainly didn't went as nuclear on it as they could have. But then youtube is literally advertising wow asset flips and private servers every now and then, sometimes for weeks and that escapes them as well.
    Honestly the nuclear option was never on the table even back then when there would have been way way way less they wouldn’t have been able to stop it and now
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

My goodness, these woke retcons and changes are just pathetic. All these changes add nothing, absolutely nothing to the game or their reputation. It's the exact opposite for me honestly, I think this makes all just worse by showing that they don't care about the serious stuff, but solely about these completely pointless and dumb changes.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    My goodness, these woke retcons and changes are just pathetic. All these changes add nothing, absolutely nothing to the game or their reputation. It's the exact opposite for me honestly, I think this makes all just worse by showing that they don't care about the serious stuff, but solely about these completely pointless and dumb changes.
    I think they are doing it for publicity to compete with FF14 for the spotlight. These hilariously bad changes can hardly be defended even by the most ardent blizzard shills on twitter, but notice how much attention they have gotten from the entire gaming community as a whole? They will make these controversial and pointless changes to draw in the attention since Blizzard thinks all press = good press.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    I think they are doing it for publicity to compete with FF14 for the spotlight. These hilariously bad changes can hardly be defended even by the most ardent blizzard shills on twitter, but notice how much attention they have gotten from the entire gaming community as a whole? They will make these controversial and pointless changes to draw in the attention since Blizzard thinks all press = good press.
    I mean this doesn't even feel like Blizz's usual MO for trying to drown out 14.

This feels like naked, desperate survival at this point. Trying to do anything possible to whitewash their image and cover up the fact they did bad shit for years, refuse to acknowledge they did bad shit, refuse to change their bad shit, and are punishing employees who demand they do.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

You know what's funny? FFXIV would never ever do that. SquareEnix is a Japanese developer and they give a sh*t about political correctness and woke culture, they just create their game as they want to.

The reaction I've seen for this recent changes in WoW is overwhelmingly negative as it doesn't even adress the core problem, it's just the most ridiculous thing to do when you pretend to "listen" and care now. I really don't know if bad press in this case results in an overall increase of their reputation. I think this stuff will backfire a loooooooooot.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Come play our game, we removed all the offensive stuff"? I don't think anyone would consider all that scandal attention as a good press. It's just a smokescreen changes, so they can later say that they improved things, while not actually improving anything.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    "Come play our game, we removed all the offensive stuff"? I don't think they consider all that scandal attention as a good press. It's just a smokescreen changes, so they can later say that they improved things, while not actually improving anything.
    I don't think Blizzard is delusional enough to legitimately believe that removing the ability to fart on someone is a change that is in any way going to help. It seems so far fetched and ridiculously stupid that it must be a troll or some sort of publicity stunt. I just don't believe that the people making these changes can be that mind numbingly stupid.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Blizzard is delusional enough to legitimately believe that removing the ability to fart on someone is a change that is in any way going to help. It seems so far fetched and ridiculously stupid that it must be a troll or some sort of publicity stunt. I just don't believe that the people making these changes can be that mind numbingly stupid.
    I mean, YES. That's what I have been talking about. It's all for the sake of telling shareholders/press that they are working on resolving their issues, while everybody kinda forget that the scandal was about working environment at Blizz, not WoW gameplay.

Wonder if monkey Spanks gonna be next. :v
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-09-30 at 06:29 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    So Illidank has been retconned into being bisexual now? Absolutely hilarious
    Now they can make a big blog post about ir for those free LGBTQ posturing point

I can see the headlines.

"Blizzard's next gay character doesn't come from Overwatch, but instead one of the most iconic Warcraft characters is able to show new side of him!"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually curious when they will start to hunt down all the rule 34 stuff about their characters, especially OW. Let's be real, certain internet circles have gobbled that stuff up and ran with it. I have to wonder if they can no longer pretend it doesn't exist and doesn't infringe on their copyright, when they have rather explicit material out there that they seemingly ignore (because free publicity).
    Overwatch had no worth besides the R34 art. If they start to aggressively shut it down, that is last bits of that IP's relevance going down the drain.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually curious when they will start to hunt down all the rule 34 stuff about their characters, especially OW. Let's be real, certain internet circles have gobbled that stuff up and ran with it. I have to wonder if they can no longer pretend it doesn't exist and doesn't infringe on their copyright, when they have rather explicit material out there that they seemingly ignore (because free publicity).
    They actually tried to go against OW R34 2-3y ago.

WoW Community when Blizzard harasses female developers: I sleep

WoW Community when they add male NPCs to a room: real shit?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    WoW Community when Blizzard harasses female developers: I sleep

WoW Community when they add male NPCs to a room: real shit?
    Heh, this is so true. I see so much more outrage regarding "sensitive" content removal, than the actual real life harassment.

Heh, this is so true. I see so much more outrage regarding "sensitive" content removal, than the actual real life harassment.
    What can we as players do against real life harassment? Nothing and it doesn't affect us directly. All of a sudden doing these completely laughable things in game affects me as a player directly. Plus, it's beyond ridiculous as it shifts the focus from real solutions to complete bullsh*t like this.

7+ Year Old Account
    What can we as players do against real life harassment? Nothing and it doesn't affect us directly. All of a sudden doing these completely laughable things in game affects me as a player directly. Plus, it's beyond ridiculous as it shifts the focus from real solutions to complete bullsh*t like this.
    Not support Blizz by buying their products.

But this just doesn't happen, becuase it's no secret that gamers (me included) very rarely care about stuff that doesn't affect their gameplay. Recent examples are Valhalla breaking sales records fresh after Ubisoft harrasment scandal and gamers only starting going after CDPR, when CP2077 was released as a buggy mess, and not when crunch stories emerged.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-09-30 at 09:12 AM.

How does it affect you as a player? Besides inducing your righteous indignation about things that are so irrelevant that any outrage about them ridiculous? Complaining for the sake of complaining.

And about those changes backfiring: most players won't even notice them. You still make the mistake of assuming that most people who play WoW read mmo-c, wowhead and so on. The exact opposite is the truth.

Not support Blizz by buying their products.
    I don't think that not buying their products anymore does help. At best it decreases their revenue which will not translate into them being more sensitive and aware. To further increase profits while maintaining a lower revenue they will cut corners as Blizzard did when they fired those 800 people two years ago. Less sales will barely affect the higher ups, it will affect those that can be hired and fired all the time.

In the end you're right with your stance, I just don't know if the result is what we as players want.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-09-30 at 09:41 AM.

I think you guys are putting way too much thought into what is happening here. I think the far more likely reason we are seeing most of this stuff is that someone simply asked the devs to remove "problematic" stuff in the game. They started by removing all problematic references like Afrasiabi and such, then decided that while they were at it they might as well give the whole thing a once over and just remove stuff that noone in their right mind would really care to see gone.

As I said before, I imagine the process might have been something as simple as having someone just check everythig once, mark down everything that has sexual innuendo or is otherwise kinda juvenile. Then they simply go down the list and change stuff that takes little to no effort. Stuff like the emotes for instance I imagine got such a substantial change because they figured that while they were removing the ability to moan at players they might as well just change other stuff as well.

I really cannot imagine this is some grand conspiracy, the simpler solution is much easier to get behind.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    snip
    Wait, i don't even get this.

Edit: i honestly don't even know what was changed, nor what the original image is or if either image is completely new.
    So let me rephrase, how is what is shown any less sexual than what we had previously?
    Last edited by Raetary; 2021-09-30 at 11:04 AM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Damn, I am sorry that your game experience got impacted by them changing the gender of some random trash in a 10+ year old raid

How will you be able to enjoy the game now? Did they not know it was everyones favourite room and those scantily-clad NPCs were integral to lore and game experience (so much so that the room got kinda retconned in the Illidan novel, but nevermind that)! What's next, Blizzard fixing typos? Do they not know that it affects my game experience directly?!

Snowflakes smh

The whole argument of "Oh it shifts the focus away" is completely and utterly idiotic because the only people actually putting a focus on the changes are the neckbeards who are so upset that they are changing random NPCs. Blizzard has not acknowledged the changes AT ALL. So how is it shifting the focus away from real solutions? Hell, the player will never hear about the "real solutions" because they are a Blizzard-internal thing and players are not involved in the slightest.
    Last edited by Makorus; 2021-09-30 at 10:00 AM.