7+ Year Old Account
    Doin the Sylavanas quest now (EU) and Oribos definitely looks better when the lower central circle is filled out with NPCs
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, balance is kinda Lifes major theme.
    Life-Death
    Sun-Moon
    Day-Night
    Light-Shadows

Maybe Elune has a bit of power of everything because striking a balance is her job?

Formerly known as Arafal

I don't like idea of Turalyon being corrupted one way or another, I like the guy. But what I fear the most is if Blizzard attempts to get into faction war again.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post

Oh that definitely, what I'm saying is I hope they remember all of that and not rewrite he as just the life counterpart of WQueen
    Get me into Blizzard and i will make sure you get what you want. I'm a cisgender, heterosexual white male, so I should be okay.

To be honest only thing too far was WQueen referencing her as sister, but even that doesn't mean her actual sister. She probably meant that in the way that both of them are strongly tied to nature.

Her allowing nelf souls to pass through the afterlife and not stopping the burning is at least well explained that she would help her sister in a time of need (drought) by bringing more souls, but not even she knew that all souls are going to the maw.
    Personally, a lot of the draw that Elune had was because she was seemingly disconnected from the cosmology that we knew of. Essentially, the Tom Bombadil of WarCraft.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Personally, a lot of the draw that Elune had was because she was seemingly disconnected from the cosmology that we knew of. Essentially, the Tom Bombadil of WarCraft.
    Was she disconnected? I would more say unaligned. But even that is a far stretch with her helping Titans in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, blizzard keeps improving the cutscenes. The cutscenes we get now are IMO better done than the first cinematics (non CGI) we got

In SL we find out she can choose if Nelf souls go to the shadowlands or not.
    No she doesn't. She just thought that letting Teldrassil happen would help Ardenweald since most of the dying Nelves would end up in there.

Also, blizzard keeps improving the cutscenes. The cutscenes we get now are IMO better done than the first cinematics (non CGI) we got
    Yeah, I thought the same too. In BfA this sort of cutscene would've been like the one where Sylvanas takes Baine captive, with no real lip synching and using default animations.

They've upgraded, its good. Still a bit jank in a few places but good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    No she doesn't. She just thought that letting Teldrassil happen would help Ardenweald since most of the dying Nelves would end up in there.
    Did we collectively forget that wisps are a thing? Including Blizzard themselves?

7+ Year Old Account
    Was she disconnected? I would more say unaligned. But even that is a far stretch with her helping Titans in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

This! Both the Pelagos and Sylvanas cutscenes aswell as that weird acid dream with the orcale were top notch and I hope that's the standard of them going forward. Lets hope they find a way to really incorperate player characters in these as well!
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-03-30 at 01:55 PM.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    The fully animated in-engine cutscenes are so cool. I'm hoping the handful we've gotten in Shadowlands are a prelude to going all-out with them in 10.0, especially if they figure out a way to give player models the same animation treatment.

In a perfect world, we'd be seeing these types of cutscenes used to more frequently tell stories in a cinematic way while requiring a portion of the dev resources as the pre-rendered game cinematics.
    Last edited by SunspotAnims; 2022-03-30 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Lets hope they find a way to really incorperate player characters in these as well!
    They can't do that. Every time they have had a good looking and well animated NPC in Shadowlands cutscenes, it has been a custom model with handcrafted animations made only for the cutscene.

The fact that there are 17 unique races models for two genders means player character can never do anything besides hacked together emote aninations in cutscenes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    This! Bothhe Pelagos and Sylvanas cutscenes aswell as that weird acid dream with the orcale were top notch and I hope that's the standard of them going forward. Lets hope they find a way to really incorperate player characters in these as well!
    Oh this has been one of my favorite new reddit trends, when the PC is incorporated to have the most out of place tmog.

But I assume you mean the facial expression that are improved.

This would probably require them to update player rigs. But not to the level of NPCs as we will never have players voice acted in cutscenes.

I feel like what they are doing with cutscenes is getting better, telling a story where otherwise it would be the player just standing in place while two NPCs in front of the player walk and talk (like in the boring quests where we have to hear X's plans for something)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post
    The fully animated in-engine cutscenes are so cool. I'm hoping the handful we've gotten in Shadowlands are a prelude to going all-out with them in 10.0, especially if they figure out a way to give player models the same animation treatment.

In a perfect world, we'd be seeing these types of cutscenes used to more frequently tell stories in a cinematic way while requiring a portion of the dev resources as the pre-rendered game cinematics.
    Exactly, these cutscenes definitely have a place where to play them for better storytelling

- - - Updated - - -

They can't do that. Every time they have had a good looking and well animated NPC in Shadowlands cutscenes, it has been a custom model with handcrafted animations made only for the cutscene.

The fact that there are 17 unique races models for two genders means player character can never do anything besides hacked together emote aninations in cutscenes.
    I assume just adding better facial expressions and animations to the PC would be enough. Not custom animations for each new cinematic like Sylvi and Tyrande got for faces and hands

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Or rather his way too hot wife.

I assume just adding better facial expressions and animations to the PC would be enough. Not custom animations for each new cinematic like Sylvi and Tyrande got for faces and hands
    That is still 34 new faces to animate for each cutscene instead of the 2 or 3 they do now.

5+ Year Old Account

Are you sure it isn't possible? FFXIV has two kinds of cutscenes. The first type is basically an ingame event where everyone is just doing actual emotes. Handing over stuff just looks super silly. But the second type uses totally custom animations, even for the player characters. So, yeah. It should be possible

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Eternity's End OST now up on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/33js6...QU6PueCcr04qFA
    Say what you will about the Shadowlands. The music has been great at least. Chains of Domination was excellent imo.

10+ Year Old Account

It's not quite as simple as that. Yes there would be a too many models to animate if we assume every player model needed to be independently animated, but I don't think it has worked that way since MoP. I believe it was with monks initially where a system was made to transfer animations between similar rigs, so monk animations needed to be made once and then they were applied to every other race, including races that couldn't be monks. It was the same system that facilitated the reworked combat/casting animations in Legion and BfA.

For sure there are still hurdles that'd need to be figured out. For one, the animation transfer probably isn't seamless and would need some slight manual tweaking in certain cases. I'm also assuming the system wouldn't work with facial animations and those would probably be better served by a procedural face animation system for each race (and I'm kinda shocked WoW doesn't seem to have one yet). Similarly, they'd need to design some sort of smart camera that can adjust to the height and proportions of the character model.

Overall though I don't see it as being outside the realm of possibility.
    Last edited by SunspotAnims; 2022-03-30 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Are you sure it isn't possible? FFXIV has two kinds of cutscenes. The first type is basically an ingame event where everyone is just doing actual emotes. Handing over stuff just looks super silly. But the second type uses totally custom animations, even for the player characters. So, yeah. It should be possible
    FF14 has only 8 races, one of which is still monogendered.

WoW has 17 unique* races with two genders each. That is 34 different models to animate for each cutscene.

*Most, but not all, ARs have identical rig to a parent race, thus not unique in animation department.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post
    It's not quite as simple as that. Yes there would be a too many models to animate if we assume every player model needed to be independently animated, but I don't think it has worked that way since MoP. I believe it was with monks initially where a system was made to transfer animations between similar rigs, so monk animations needed to be made once and then they were applied to every other race, including races that couldn't be monks. It was the same system that facilitated the reworked combat/casting animations in Legion and BfA.

For sure there are still hurdles that'd need to be figured out; I'm assuming the system wouldn't work with facial animations and those would probably be better served by a procedural face animation system for each race (and I'm kinda shocked WoW doesn't seem to have one yet). Similarly, they'd need to design some sort of smart camera that can adjust to the height and proportions of the character model.

Overall though I don't see it as being outside the realm of possibility.
    Slapping same combat animation on Gnome and Tauren just about works. Slapping same "interact with environment and/or character" on Gnome and Tauren will never work.