Catastrophy420 noticeably less active than usual during the week building up to the announcement - coincidence? I think not.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wake up and suddenly there is a pleasant silence in this thread again - wohoo!

What are the chances for one last big ptr build with potential teasers today? Or do you guys think they will keep the ptr small 'till next week?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I just hope the announcement doesn't end up with much of the playerbase wondering "That's it?" which was a common reaction after the feature list of Shadowlands.
    I remember being so disappointed there wasn’t a new class, but I was hopeful for SL.

…. And then it was horrible. But do we even know how blizz is announcing this? Is there a livestream or something?? Haven’t seen any info regarding the announcement. I hope it’s not just like a 10 min vid like how they announced 9.2, that would be destructive

Quote Originally Posted by Mferna View Post
    I remember being so disappointed there wasn’t a new class, but I was hopeful for SL.

…. And then it was horrible. But do we even know how blizz is announcing this? Is there a livestream or something?? Haven’t seen any info regarding the announcement. I hope it’s not just like a 10 min vid like how they announced 9.2, that would be destructive
    I wonder if they are afraid to even do a livestream.

7+ Year Old Account
    We know nothing.
    Not when, not how.

Which means they'll either release that info this week, or we are getting a pre-recorded preview later in the day. (Which would be a hella depressing way to reveal an expansion)

Formerly known as Arafal

I just hope the announcement doesn't end up with much of the playerbase wondering "That's it?" which was a common reaction after the feature list of Shadowlands.
    The problem was that Blizzard haven't delivered things that people expected like a new class or a good feature to solve community problems like dead realms.

Blizzard learned nothing from BFA and simply released new zones, dungeons, raids, and systems as if everything were just fine.

I'm sure if Shadowlands had a new class, less Sylvanas screentime, fewer systems, and Cross-faction from the beginning, the game would've been in a fair better health state now.
    Last edited by Luck4; 2022-04-12 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    We know nothing.
    Not when, not how.

Which means they'll either release that info this week, or we are getting a pre-recorded preview later in the day. (Which would be a hella depressing way to reveal an expansion)
    I would hope they will do multiple things.

ESO does their tiny expacs split in four releases over the year which are the equivalent of maybe two wow zones plus a small raid (and four new dungeons, don't ask me why). They do an hour long livestream to reveal theme and features for the main release (one large zone and their small raid) with an additional hour long livestream with community managers that has live Q&A on twitch while they just play around in the new areas to show them off. And then for the additional parts of the annual release cycle they will follow the same marketing schedule. So about 8 hours of livestreaming with devs and CMs and live Q&As per year (and they also do these fun lore quizes on twitch for the final 20-30 minutes before the stream goes live). And that in addition to any interviews and tons of blog posts for game and community features (from features on new patch content to housing showcases to community competitions)

Meanwhile in WoW we get 10-15 minutes of prerecorded crap a year, no Q&A outside blizzcon (and even then it is fairly controlled) which will no longer happen, blog posts for the features and the only prominent "community" features are their poorly attended esports.

But do we even know how blizz is announcing this? Is there a livestream or something?? Haven’t seen any info regarding the announcement. I hope it’s not just like a 10 min vid like how they announced 9.2, that would be destructive
    I hope it won't be as terrible as the 9.2 announcement, god that was awful.

- - - Updated - - -

ESO does their tiny expacs split in four releases over the year which are the equivalent of maybe two wow zones plus a small raid (and four new dungeons, don't ask me why). They do an hour long livestream to reveal theme and features for the main release (one large zone and their small raid) with an additional hour long livestream with community managers that has live Q&A on twitch while they just play around in the new areas to show them off. And then for the additional parts of the annual release cycle they will follow the same marketing schedule. So about 8 hours of livestreaming with devs and CMs and live Q&As per year (and they also do these fun lore quizes on twitch for the final 20-30 minutes before the stream goes live). And that in addition to any interviews and tons of blog posts for game and community features (from features on new patch content to housing showcases to community competitions)

Meanwhile in WoW we get 10-15 minutes of prerecorded crap a year, no Q&A outside blizzcon (and even then it is fairly controlled) which will no longer happen, blog posts for the features and the only prominent "community" features are their poorly attended esports.
    While ESO's announcements are super scripted and very very very PR and marketing, it's still a good showcase of what to expect and what's coming. Even with the decreasing quality of their releases for ESO, Zenimax is quite good when it's about marketing.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    They just need to do a big info video similiar to the "whats next panels" during blizzcon. Announcement with cinematic trailer and features trailer (and it would help if the cinematic trailer would show the setting this time instead of a lore video that shows us NOTHING of said expansion like with Shadowlands) and after that a deep dive into everything from lore to systems. End it with pre-orders are live and alpha starts tomorrow, datamining today.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Catastrophy420 noticeably less active than usual during the week building up to the announcement - coincidence? I think not.
    He probably noticed that he wasn't been so convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    While ESO's announcements are super scripted and very very very PR and marketing, it's still a good showcase of what to expect and what's coming. Even with the decreasing quality of their releases for ESO, Zenimax is quite good when it's about marketing.
    Every year since Elsweyr has been worse. I am not praising ESO as a game and was very disappointed in the last two years (and will probably only play again when I inevitably unsub from SL for a few months while waiting for Dragonflight in 2023 or whenever it goes live). But at least they do marketing properly, they managed to have a community that is very supporting and is almost never truly toxic with the devs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    They just need to do a big info video similiar to the "whats next panels" during blizzcon. Announcement with cinematic trailer and features trailer (and it would help if the cinematic trailer would show the setting this time instead of a lore video that shows us NOTHING of said expansion like with Shadowlands) and after that a deep dive into everything from lore to systems. End it with pre-orders are live and alpha starts tomorrow, datamining today.
    Yeah, we would be getting a large announcement slot, a what's next panel and usually at least one more panel at Blizzcon. Anything less would just not be up to par. And probably two weeks of interviews after. I would love alpha that early but I doubt we will even see alpha before the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    He probably noticed that he wasn't been so convincing.
    Just seemed like a positive person trying to hype people. The last dozen or so pages were really off the rails so why would he post?

Just seemed like a positive person trying to hype people. The last dozen or so pages were really off the rails so why would he post?
    We may never know, but yeah, that guy is always optimistic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Every year since Elsweyr has been worse. I am not praising ESO as a game and was very disappointed in the last two years (and will probably only play again when I inevitably unsub from SL for a few months while waiting for Dragonflight in 2023 or whenever it goes live). But at least they do marketing properly, they managed to have a community that is very supporting and is almost never truly toxic with the devs.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, we would be getting a large announcement slot, a what's next panel and usually at least one more panel at Blizzcon. Anything less would just not be up to par. And probably two weeks of interviews after. I would love alpha that early but I doubt we will even see alpha before the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the only reason for an announcement this late would be because they would wait for an early alpha release imo. I remember the 8.3 announcement that also ended with the "ptr live today" bomb and it was super cool. Also first alpha builds usually only have one zone so they can be quite small tbf.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Hi everyone, congrats on page 2000! Did I miss anything new?
    Apparently, the mystery of the Seneca text was solved, but I don't think that's gonna tell us anything about 10.0. Other than that it's mostly just been a lot of back and forth for the past several dozen pages as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I don't know how I managed to reply to a day-old post about a post that was posted after that post. I blame it on a lack of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Apparently, the mystery of the Seneca text was solved, but I don't think that's gonna tell us anything about 10.0. Other than that it's mostly just been a lot of back and forth for the past several dozen pages as far as I can tell.
    Let's stop trying to DOX the leaker? I was surprised to wake up and see people back at it (not surprised to see the other discussion still going . . .)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    What are the chances for one last big ptr build with potential teasers today? Or do you guys think they will keep the ptr small 'till next week?
    The chance is always there I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it. I feel like we've already gotten so much more information anyway that I'm pretty much good to just wait for the announcement at this point without the need for any datamining clues.

Yeah, I've been very unimpressed by their Chapters since Elsweyr (Elsweyr is my favorite), but yet I am always very excited for their annual Chapter release streams, because they're always fun to watch. And that's usually the time I'm playing ESO again (I wouldn't buy any Chapter for $40 though anymore, I always wait until Fall when they are sold for $15).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's stop trying to DOX the leaker? I was surprised to wake up and see people back at it (not surprised to see the other discussion still going . . .)
    I mean, I agree. I asked people to stop it a few hundred pages back as well. The leaker's identity isn't going to tell us anything about 10.0 so it's kind of pointless.

That said, I don't think something like this is enough to give away their identity or location. And personally, I think it came directly from Blizzard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yeah, I've been very unimpressed by their Chapters since Elsweyr (Elsweyr is my favorite), but yet I am always very excited for their annual Chapter release streams, because they're always fun to watch. And that's usually the time I'm playing ESO again (I wouldn't buy any Chapter for $40 though anymore, I always wait until Fall when they are sold for $15).
    Elsweyr was perfect. A cool new class, stellar world building, a really exciting storyline, the start of the new story system and the best example of it.

For anyone interested on how they do things, they release a small questline tied to the first two dungeons which are all meant to introduce the characters and concepts of the next xpac. Then they release a fairly large zone (quite larger than a WoW zone, close to two of those) which has its own self contained storyline which is completed solo, a small raid which is a side story (the main story is always available outside raiding). Then two more dungeons, then a second zone which has two storylines; one is local to the zone and usually continues on the premise of the previous zone (yet can be done indepedently and has its own new characters) and a second questline that unlocks once you have completed both that wraps up both in a usually epic way. And ofc nothing is timegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Add sunwalker and other paladins as well so we don't just have human light paladins. We can have more diverse druid forms and skills, with worgens going more for a drust thematic with wolf mutated forms to show their lycantrhopy.

Wardens for night elves, blue fire/arcane spells for mages.

Honestly, there is so much stuff to work and explore here, you can make "racial class skins" and general class skin, like changing the frost from death knights for fire like bolvar. hellfire style.
    I'd love to see more race/class combos come with class skins. Nelf Paladin that's basically a plate wearing priestess of the moon (like they were in the war of the ancients), etc.

I do like the way ESO handles reveals. I also am really into the frequent live letters from square for FF14. Endwalker had several phases. First they announced it, then they gave us the full reveal during the fanfest along with a ton of info. Then they do live letters for every major patch that details what's coming in that patch. (raids, dungeons, new features etc).

The current patch had a live letter a little over a week ago and they revealed a bunch of new features and stuff and spent hours talking about them. And they do this every patch. It's amazing.