Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Tons. I read a lot, but don't have an exact count.

physical books? Over a thousand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    As in hard copy books on your shelf rather than on a device etc

I think I have around 10 in total.
    A rough estimate: 500ish

But I haven't gotten more than 5-10 new ones in the last 25ish years..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Physical? Probably like 50 or so. Digital, hundreds.

100s... have a catalogue for my library and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a list of all the ~200 best books ever written and went out and bought them, physical of course, from Homer's Iliad and Odyssey to Bulgakov's Master and Margarita.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-11-25 at 08:58 PM.

I think that about a hundred..

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I agree.
    It is pretty sad to me that some people owning audiobooks in their phone/tablet/kindle count as having books.
    To me, it's pretty sad that you can't let other people enjoy the things they like. Some people are better listener then reader or don't have the time to exerience them in an other way.

Personally maybe like 6-10. Have only read like 1.5 of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my personal shelf maybe 50. I tend to move them to boxes in the basement as I get new ones. Overall maybe 100 where I've been living the last 10 years that I've bought myself over time.

Taking all the ones into account that my brother and I inherited from other family members and put into storage at my aunts' place it'd probably be like 3000, very possibly more. There's a whole basement storeroom dedicated to our collection.

One is a bible printed in the late 17th century, unfortunately in poor condition.

I really need to sort through those books, see if I can donate some. There's bound to be some in duplicate or even triplicate.
    Not really trying to not be wasteful but somehow I can never throw away books or see them being thrown out. If someone wants to get rid of any I'll usually take and put them into storage with the others.

EDIT: Those books are probably the reason why I can still comfortably read those old-style German Fraktur letters despite being only 33.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2020-12-10 at 04:06 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I have 3 bookshelves. I'm not about to count all the booksies...I want double that at least. what bothers me about my ikea book shelf there's not enough drilled holes so I got too much space for soft covers when I need hardcovers...

Ah, yes, here is teh offending culprit, the sides hides books...HOW DARE YOU!
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemnes-...tain-90371765/

well, at least it's not the Billy bookshelf, FUCK YOU BILLY, YOU SUCK!

I could save up for better shelves, but that's money I could spend on books..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I made a list of all the ~200 best books ever written and went out and bought them, physical of course, from Homer's Iliad and Odyssey to Bulgakov's Master and Margarita.
    Once u start collecting, boy...it is expensive af..I got a list of at least 100 books I want on my wish list, would probably cost me 7000€ and up...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I have a good 300 books on my bookshelves, and that's only after my mother donated a good 200 when I was living in Africa abroad and couldn't take them with me.

Last time I ever store anything with her.
    oh.my.god...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Never bunk up with a person who doesn't own books.
    Imagine sharing apartment with these dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ap-41MzR9JW5zt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427gcZ2OHB4
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-12-10 at 04:51 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree.
    It is pretty sad to me that some people owning audiobooks in their phone/tablet/kindle count as having books.
    Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Hard copy books? Probably around 30 at most.
    Paperbacks? Hundreds...at least.
    On my very old Kindle (with a "flaw" that is actually awesome)? Almost a thousand.

Reading is fantastic, one of my favorite forms of entertainment. I typically read books more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
    To me, it's pretty sad that you can't let other people enjoy the things they like. Some people are better listener then reader or don't have the time to exerience them in an other way.
    It is nothing personal my dude.
    Just my thoughts and your life choices. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Why?
    What do you mean 'why'?
    I just do not count audiobooks/PDF's/Kindle etc. as real books. Nothing will good replacement for paper imho.
    Same way many people do not see 'e-sport' as real sports.
    My personal opinion that nobody has to agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    40 books, all of them phisical, i don't pay for digital copies.

And i am in need of a new bookshelf.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many.

My wife and I have 2 bookshelves full plus an additional shelf that his mostly my comic book trade paperbacks, haha. Not to mention materials we have in digital format. At a guess I'd say around 150. Which is not to say that I've read every book we own, because I haven't, but I've read most of them and counting!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean 'why'?
    I just do not count audiobooks/PDF's/Kindle etc. as real books. Nothing will good replacement for paper imho.
    Same way many people do not see 'e-sport' as real sports.
    My personal opinion that nobody has to agree.
    I mean what I asked.

And I asked because you're not just putting forth your opinion, which of course is yours to have. You're claiming that it's "sad" that others count non-paper books as books. You're making a moral judgment on other's choices/opinions, and it's beyond curious.

So I ask why.

In the house I'm living atm around 1500 physical books. Plus more than 1000 in electronic form. I'm trying to offload fiction books I'm not interested (gifts, bought in bulk) because I simply have no space or time to read those. Most books I have are about history. Military, politics, some about economy related to conflicts. Untill 1 year ago I wasn't too eager to buy e-books but that changed. Space, easier to work (research - marking, coping paragraphs/sentences as notes with vital information, etc) plus cost. But it must be mostly "text" book rather than something with very heavy graphic content. And e-books are great if you travel/work. you can read and work with too much hassle. Some of books I have in electronic form aren't easy or cheap to buy in paper form but are free as PDF from Congress Library, etc.

Untill few years ago I was able to read all my books but it's not possible anymore with time I have, amount of books arrivining every month and difference between reading just for pleasure and working on text. Some of those books aren't for reading but for finding information. I don't think you can read in normal sense book with information about cargo going through Irish ports from late 1800s up to 1913 And there are other "find information" only books.

About how many I can read weekly or monthly - it depends too. If I read only to enjoy or to learn or as part of research for my own book. And of course it depends on book. Some books can be very thick and loaded with information. For example "Atlas of the Irish Revolution" is few pages short of 1000. On other side some books can be read in few hours. So sometimes I can ready 5-6 books weekly and sometimes I won't be able to finish 1. From some I just need some information and I ignore rest. Now with SL release I slowed down but still I read a lot especially at work at night.

My collection is growing very fast and I think I lost control over it ;p And I know I'm sick. But it isn't dangerous for anyone but me and the Post Man. I'm sure sometimes he hates me

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably 50-80 books. Although I almost exclusively listen to audiobooks these days, not having much time to devote to just reading, I do have paperback copies of almost all of them as well. Having a proper library of books I enjoy is sort of mandatory. I often buy two so I can give one to someone whom I think should read stuff.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

5+ Year Old Account
    cubby can't even fucking let an innocent thread about books be left alone without him having to insert his schematic agitation so he can feel good about himself.

Seriously, that guy needs some time off..this thread is about BOOKS...he would turn a thread about sandwiches into world war three..

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a few hundred. I just prefer to read or browse printed books over digital. Used Book stores are like catnip for me.

The university where I lecture recently digitized sections of their libraries. They put out crates full of free books. I raided the crate full of art history books.
    Government Affiliated Snark