Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I just hate this elitist, gatekeeping mentality some people seem to have about audiobooks. I still sit down and read a lot, I just don't have the time to do so like I used to so, audiobooks. I am a big advocate for reading and I think if there was less stigma around audiobooks it would get more people into reading in general.
    I think the "gatekeeping" exists around what I think is an objective truth: you don't absorb and comprehend a book as well if it's a secondary activity to something else. It turns "reading" into having the news on in the background while you cook in the kitchen. Maybe you have a general idea of what's going on in the world - but you don't have an in-depth view of it.

Is it better than never watching the news at all? I guess. Maybe with news you can get away with it...but with a book, it's all about the immersion itself. I don't know how it could be a satisfying "read" to listen to an audiobook and only have a shallow surface level understanding of it, because something else also held your attention at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the "gatekeeping" exists around what I think is an objective truth: you don't absorb and comprehend a book as well if it's a secondary activity to something else. It turns "reading" into having the news on in the background while you cook in the kitchen. Maybe you have a general idea of what's going on in the world - but you don't have an in-depth view of it.

Is it better than never watching the news at all? I guess. Maybe with news you can get away with it...but with a book, it's all about the immersion itself. I don't know how it could be a satisfying "read" to listen to an audiobook and only have a shallow surface level understanding of it, because something else also held your attention at the time.
    But that isn't the problem with audiobooks, it is with how some people listen to them. Most people I know listen to them while doing mindless, repetitive tasks like working out, walking/running, cleaning, driving, ect. And even then, I don't know how true that even is. You say you don't comprehend a book as well, but what is that assumption based on? I can only speak from personal experience, but I don't find that to be true at all. I have gone back and read books I previous listened to on audiobook and also done the opposite and don't feel I understood or absorbed and more or less with either option.

Now are there some people who do absorb less from an audiobook? I am sure there are. Different people learn in different ways. Let's not forget that mass produced books are a pretty recent thing and before that, listening to someone else read/tell you a story was how stories were experienced. So are you saying that for 100's of years everyone was somehow not absorbing the whole story? And then the printing press was invented and all of a sudden that changed?

Preferring reading over audiobooks is just that, a preference. That does not make one any less "true" than the other.

Like 2 or 3?

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
    The Hobbit (though it's more borrowed from my sister and I forgot to give it back and she didn't miss it)
    and uh...

2 it is.

But that isn't the problem with audiobooks, it is with how some people listen to them. Most people I know listen to them while doing mindless, repetitive tasks like working out, walking/running, cleaning, driving, ect. And even then, I don't know how true that even is. You say you don't comprehend a book as well, but what is that assumption based on? I can only speak from personal experience, but I don't find that to be true at all. I have gone back and read books I previous listened to on audiobook and also done the opposite and don't feel I understood or absorbed and more or less with either option.

Now are there some people who do absorb less from an audiobook? I am sure there are. Different people learn in different ways. Let's not forget that mass produced books are a pretty recent thing and before that, listening to someone else read/tell you a story was how stories were experienced. So are you saying that for 100's of years everyone was somehow not absorbing the whole story? And then the printing press was invented and all of a sudden that changed?

Preferring reading over audiobooks is just that, a preference. That does not make one any less "true" than the other.
    so. much. THIS.

and I absolutely guarantee that when those stories were told in the evenings by the fire or whatnot? people had something in their hands while listening, fixing things, making things - people didn't have a lot of time to just sit and read and do nothing else. and those stories have traveled across centuries, being absorbed just fine.

audio books vs printed books are a preference, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    so. much. THIS.

and I absolutely guarantee that when those stories were told in the evenings by the fire or whatnot? people had something in their hands while listening, fixing things, making things - people didn't have a lot of time to just sit and read and do nothing else. and those stories have traveled across centuries, being absorbed just fine.

audio books vs printed books are a preference, nothing more.
    I wonder how many people are aware that in the late 1800's there was a job, I believe it started in Cuba, called a Lector who would read books and newspapers out loud to factory workers in places like cigar factories. The factory workers would pay for the Lector themselves. It even became a thing in parts of the US in the early 1900's. Last I read, these Lectors are still a thing in Cuba. Sort of an early version of an audiobook.

So are you saying that for 100's of years everyone was somehow not absorbing the whole story? And then the printing press was invented and all of a sudden that changed?
    No no no...
    The times are far far different...it's a fallacy to compare what people had back then...focused on getting by day to day on a monotonous rhythm... A good storyteller was worth his time in gold. A true bard even more so.
    When books became available you were among the elite to have a few. And the ones that had thinner paper stock were typically kept in the outhouse. And not just for reading material either. (Bibles were popular in the Old West...lots of pages, Praise the Lord)
    That typed, people did tend to retain what was read and heard; fables, legends, myths, beliefs..."old wives tales"...

Compare today, the luxuries that spoil a person with choices of distractions and diversions, and all that in the security and comfort of your own home.

Not saying the gist is wrong.
    Saying your comparison is erroneous.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I only have 6 books. And I didn't read any of them to the end

A few thousand I think. Most of them were gifts, bought by my parents etc. I haven't read most of them and many are over 40 years old. The ones I bought myself though are maybe around 200ish, mostly fantasy and sci fi books.

Not that many to be honest, audiobooks though a shit ton of them with 2 for one and 3 extra tokens for nothing on audible well it's like 20$ for 3 extra tokens and that's cheap as hell.. All Warhammer but there is alot of great history ones too like roman and viking history.

Have a hard time keeping focus reading so audiobooks is way better for me.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-01-12 at 10:15 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Might not want to give a serious reply to the OP. Just check his posting history. Every single post of his, is a new thread with a new personal question. No idea why, but it can't be anything good. It's probably a bot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Might not want to give a serious reply to the OP. Just check his posting history. Every single post of his, is a new thread with a new personal question. No idea why, but it can't be anything good. It's probably a bot.
    You don't haf any books do you?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Cost me about 3k honestly for 200ish books, unless you go for hardcover/luxury editions.
    I do not collect them (I basically read *almost* everything with letters) but once I go.. Its going to be expensive.

Want The Alexiad, First Edition of The Hobbit, Silmarillion and LotR (they go for ooof prices), not a book per se, but I'd love to have the Atlas from Bleau. probaly an illuminated manuscript. Did I mention its expensive as hell? . *licks fingers at Theatrum Orbis Terrarum*

but the books I have, a bunch of english writers, and several local writers.. if I ever mention to a fellow dutchie: ''Eet nooit Zult'' it comes from a writer from Deurne.

I like to read books. I have a small collection of books at home, about 60 books. I recently decided to try myself as a writer. And so I finished writing my story about a knight who, according to the canon, saves a princess from a dragon. But my book differs from others in its idea and presentation. I have searched the internet for a literature review online for a long time and only recently stumbled upon a really good site. They pointed out my mistakes and suggested how to fix the plot.
    Last edited by AlexCaffe; 2021-03-16 at 11:18 PM.

Probably 10-15 hard books at the moment, the rest are on my Kindle device. I'm not committing to buying any hard copies just yet since I'm only renting a small studio apartment. Once I get my own place I will designate entire room for books and studying alone. This is one of my bigger dreams. Imagine the energy you get when you walk into the room that is decorated with books that you've read.
    Last edited by neik; 2021-03-11 at 07:12 AM.

I have 175 books and I'm proud that I've read them all.