Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post
    Look who's on the Biden Cheerleading team now.

"Nur gemeinsam können Europa und Amerika global eine demokratische Alternative zum autoritären Hegemonialstreben Chinas bilden und ein Anker der Aufklärung, Prosperität und Stabilität in der Welt werden."

Leaders of German Green Party call for a new transatlantic partnership: "Only together can Europe and America form a global democratic alternative to China's authoritarian hegemonic ambition and become an anchor of enlightenment, prosperity and stability in the world."

https://www.gruene.de/artikel/blick-...ntische-agenda

Hallo Freunde! We saved you seats next to Bernie Sanders, Noam Chomsky, and Angela Davis.
    My dude, even Fucking Maduro said he was "happy" to see Trump go. He prefers a rival/enemy that's sane and will probably gut some of the sanctions, on humanitarian reasons.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Another small first step in protecting our essential workers in food processing. Rolex-wearing elitist Joe Biden, is rolling back Trump's executives orders for workers to give each other deadly viruses in fetid poultry slaughterhouses::

The Biden administration has withdrawn a deplorable pending rule that would have allowed qualifying chicken slaughter plants in the United States to permanently dial up line speeds from an already inhumane and lightning-fast 140 birds per minute to 175 birds per minute.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, under the Trump administration, approved waivers for slaughterhouses to operate at faster speeds. Dozens of chicken slaughterhouses received such waivers, including 16 that received waivers in the spring of 2020. It was a terrible decision given that slaughterhouses had been declared coronavirus hotspots. To add insult to injury, the Trump administration soon after began working on a new rule that would allow qualifying chicken plants to operate at the higher speed, without even applying for a waiver. In essence, chicken producers looking to make more profit could simply ratchet up the line speed to kill more chickens with no consideration for animal welfare or worker safety.

This is a literally life-saving action, and one of the countless ways in which the change in administrations will improve things for ordinary people.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Rolex-wearing elitist Joe Biden
    So I just caught that drama...he's bad because he was wearing a Rolex? And it was his dead sons? Man, I'm incredibly here for four years of these kinds of "scandals".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So I just caught that drama...he's bad because he was wearing a Rolex? And it was his dead sons? Man, I'm incredibly here for four years of these kinds of "scandals".
    Our bored beltway pundits.

Glad to see that the official white house pet twitter is trolling them.
    https://twitter.com/TheOvalPawffice

Paw printsHenlo Mr. #AlexWilliams from the @nytimes. We read your arrgh-tickle about our dad, @Potus 46, the leader of the free world, and the one thing you retained from the Inpawguration ceremony: his “high end” but “entry level” @RolEX watch. If you need a story, we woof love to help:

I simp for this two pronged strategy of:
    • Officially ignoring pundits and podcasters on twitter
    • Using cute pets to snark on the above

This strategy totally triggers people who imagine themselves to be very important.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Our bored beltway pundits.
    Seriously, after 4 years they're gonna have to adjust to politics being more boring once more. They might have to like, start coming up with interesting analysis and discussions since they can't just throw their arms up constantly and say, "Well would you look at THIS new bullshit?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, after 4 years they're gonna have to adjust to politics being more boring once more.
    Or when the headline each day wasn't "Four thousand Americans died" followed by sighing.

"If dogs needed a watch, their first choice would be a Rolex."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Or when the headline each day wasn't "Four thousand Americans died" followed by sighing.
    Praise Be. Holy shit a year of boring politics sounds like a fantasy at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "If dogs needed a watch, their first choice would be a Rolex."
    Wait, does that mean a Rolex runs seven times faster?

- - - Updated - - -

Biden suggests he's open to compromise on stimulus checks.

Okay. At this point anything's better than nothing. I don't mind if Biden offers a hand, I mind if it gets slapped away.

Okay. At this point anything's better than nothing. I don't mind if Biden offers a hand, I mind if it gets slapped away.
    Hey, if they can target this to lower income/out of work folks and not send checks to those of us doing alright, I'm fine with that. Especially if it means they can send larger checks to those that need it, and/or if those checks come faster.

I'm glad he's already working to identify the millions who never received stimulus because they don't file taxes. At least someone isn't forgetting about some of the worst-off in America during a fuckin pandemic.

I think it means that the "5 year warranty" is in dog years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/u...e=articleShare

Yellen confirmed. It's gonna be weird not having a mostly "acting" cabinet after the first few months get these nominees through.

Manchin vows that he won't vote to kill filibuster "under any condition"

Well RIP. Here is the thing, we can give Dems credit for having their own voice. Manchin from West Virginia, is so frustrating to most Dems.

Republicans? If this was then and this Senator was from California, that person would be voting to kill it so the Republicans do as much damage as possible.

Effin Dems! Manchin, like Joe Lieberman of the past might kill Dem legislation for next two years. Lieberman killed the public option in ACA not filibuster for context.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why the Democrats will get absolutely destroyed in 2022 and will deserve it. Rofl.

McConnell might as well still be in charge the way you people are carrying on. And at this rate I doubt the US is ever going to get a handle on COVID, by the same note.

No brain, no spine, just “unity”
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-26 at 01:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Manchin vows that he won't vote to kill filibuster "under any condition"

Well RIP. Here is the thing, we can give Dems credit for having their own voice. Manchin from West Virginia, is so frustrating to most Dems.

Republicans? If this was then and this Senator was from California, that person would be voting to kill it so the Republicans do as much damage as possible.

Effin Dems! Manchin, like Joe Lieberman of the past might kill Dem legislation for next two years. Lieberman killed the public option in ACA not filibuster for context.
    But the bigger picture is that big beautiful (D) next to his name. Sans that it would still be GOP controlled. So he's going to get some concessions. That's how it works. If it wasn't him, it would be somebody else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And this is why the Democrats will get absolutely destroyed in 2022 and will deserve it. Rofl.

McConnell might as well still be in charge the way you people are carrying on. And at this rate I doubt the US is ever going to get a handle on COVID, by the same note.

No brain, no spine, just “unity”
    Let's not abandon all hope just yet, shall we? It's the first full week, and Schumer is working out the nuts and bolts before the Dems get full power. McConnell is being his usually shitty controlling self, which is surprising absolutely no one.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/u...e=articleShare

Yellen confirmed. It's gonna be weird not having a mostly "acting" cabinet after the first few months get these nominees through.
    Those confirmations should just slide right through. After four years of fucking nut-job idiots being "confirmed", actual competent people shouldn't even get a second glance. (Hawley being the exception, because he's also an exception to the human race).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Let's not abandon all hope just yet, shall we? It's the first full week, and Schumer is working out the nuts and bolts before the Dems get full power. McConnell is being his usually shitty controlling self, which is surprising absolutely no one.
    Yes, and thus far all indications are that "working out the nuts and bolts" is going to boil down to "McConnell says no, Manchin and Sinema go along with it, and Democrat true believers will still be insisting that it'll work out even as we get to 2022 and the Dems have passed all of one half-assed stimulus package under budget reconciliation before getting raked over the coals in the midterms with Sinema and Manchin losing their seats anyway". Rofl.

Stop acting like a battered wife. We only got to this point because Democrats have a history of spineless capitulation in the face of the GOP, and y'all are still saying "trust the plan" rather than nailing these idiots to the wall until they do their damn jobs.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-26 at 01:23 AM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Shouldn’t all Dem senators—even those who are pro-filibuster—unite to show they’re in charge and change the rules with 51 votes to prohibit a filibuster on the organizing resolution? Then organize the senate and committees, leaving in place the legislative filibuster for now...
    https://twitter.com/BillKristol/stat...348075008?s=19

Dang, now I have to agree with Bill Kristol. Then again as a Republican he knows how to play the game.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/BillKristol/stat...348075008?s=19

Dang, now I have to agree with Bill Kristol. Then again as a Republican he knows how to play the game.
    The irony is that the two Senators most vehemently defending the filibuster are also the most likely to lose their seats if this Congress doesn't do anything, lol.

This is honestly why regardless of if things improve in the short run, me and the bae are looking at long term prospects outside the country. The US is fundamentally unfixable and it's just a matter of time until they run into a Trump who isn't incompetent.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-26 at 01:25 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and thus far all indications are that "working out the nuts and bolts" is going to boil down to "McConnell says no, Manchin and Sinema go along with it, and Democrat true believers will still be insisting that it'll work out even as we get to 202 and the Dems have passed all of one half-assed stimulus package under budget reconciliation before getting raked over the coals in the midterms with Sinema and Manchin losing their seats anyway". Rofl.
    All indications being a total of 5 days old, with the Senate not even in working session. Stop jumping the gun. Manchin is golden in WV and Sinema was always going to be vulnerable. The 2022 Senate seat greatly favors the Dems, but that's not for this discussion.

Stop acting like a battered wife. We only got to this point because Democrats have a history of spineless capitulation in the face of the GOP, and y'all are still saying "trust the plan" rather than nailing these idiots to the wall until they do their damn jobs.
    What would you suggest then? Give us your solution to make it work - one that is reasonable. This is a finesse game, and the filibuster is an issue to be resolved - a BIG one.
    (battered wife? WT[holy]F???)

Granted - the GOP plays harder ball than the Dems, and that has to change. I think we can both agree on that. How it changes and if it's possible to change remains to be seen. The Senate control is as razor thin as possible, and that means concessions are going to be much more necessary. Plus, the Dems have never been as narcissistic as the GOP. And McConnell ruled with an iron fist, something that just doesn't work on the Dems side. And that might be their Achilles' Heel.

- - - Updated - - -

This is honestly why regardless of if things improve in the short run, me and the bae are looking at long term prospects outside the country. The US is fundamentally unfixable and it's just a matter of time until they run into a Trump who isn't incompetent.
    Setting aside our tactical disagreements, I share the very same concern strategically. The U.S. is only going to get worse overall (i.e. more belligerently conservative) as time moves forward. We have many social policies that have trended progressive, but it seems like for everyone one we get, we lose two or three.

In all seriousness, where would you move to? (and where - state - do you live now?)
    (to answer first, I would pick Canada then New Zealand/Australia - we're in Alaska currently)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    All indications being a total of 5 days old, with the Senate not even in working session. Stop jumping the gun.
    Give me a reason to assume they won't immediately fall back into past patterns given all indications at present are that they have every intention of doing so. This is why I said stop acting like a battered wife, because you're making excuses for a history of bad behavior and excusing warning signs when they flare up again while admitting they have a history of spineless capitulation.

"It'll be different this time, and even if it isn't he didn't really mean it/he had no choice because of the circumstances."