10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    It's weird seeing this demand for science based policy from Anti-Democrats.

Anti-Democrat: "I demand a science policy based on my pet idea!"
    Democrats: "We recommend this adjacent policy backed by actual working scientists. But it moves us toward the same goal."
    GOP: *Ignores science for 40 years* "So called science is a liberal plot to take away your privileges!"

Anti-Democrat: *Looks at both* "Dems and their Teechnocratic Eleites want me to eat bugs!"
    Like the way democrats are handeling climate change, that one is really working! Capitalism truly is the best way to prevent the worst.

Or poverty, or homeless or dealing with other countries... or healthcare, always the best solutions! 2 things can't both be bad, that is not how it works!!!
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-12-07 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Like the way democrats are handeling climate change, that one is really working!
    How? Please explain... By putting up a climate change candidate in 1999? Funding renewable energy? Paris Accord?

Fucking Southpark chose to apologize for making fun of Al Gore’s environmentalism, yet... here you are...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to be honest here, I loved all the science behind the bombing and destruction of Libya, truly it does work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How? Please explain... By putting up a climate change candidate in 1999? Funding renewable energy? Paris Accord?

Fucking Southpark chose to apologize for making fun of Al Gore’s environmentalism, yet... here you are...
    Or Dems constantly pushing for reduction and efficiency regulations. I mean the country stuffed that nerd Jimmy Carter into a locker, when he dared suggest that the US wear sweaters to reduce energy consumption.

Longtime Medicare For All backer Xavier Becerra, is Biden’s pick for HHS Secretary.

US Rep. Becerra in 1994: “I do... join my colleagues in support of a single-payer plan. I do so because I believe that health care is a right, not a privilege.”
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Or like when Cuomo cut healthcare during a pandemic, those democrats really know whats up, always that good science! Or the huge military budget that most democrats support, its obviously also backed by the greatest of science.

Truly, what would we do without science to justify anything?
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-12-07 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Like the way democrats are handeling climate change, that one is really working! Capitalism truly is the best way to prevent the worst.
    Look, I am totally on board with skepticism about the Biden Administration. But considering his presidency doesn't start for another month and a half, maybe give him a little bit of a chance before declaring it an abject failure.

So far I am pretty encouraged by his personnel picks. Yeah, it isn't some idealistic progressive fantasy, but it is full of serious professionals that know how to get shit done. Kerry's appointment as climate envoy caught me off guard, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Kerry is universally known and enormously respected in diplomatic circles. He is a former SecState, a former Presidential Candidate, and a long term Senator. He is a big deal, and putting him in a role that easily could have been given to a no name minion sends a powerful message that we are really serious about this. Nobody is going to snub Kerry, when he shows up he will get the meetings he needs to get the job done. It really gives me a lot of hope that we are going to be putting some real weight behind combating climate change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Look, I am totally on board with skepticism about the Biden Administration. But considering his presidency doesn't start for another month and a half, maybe give him a little bit of a chance before declaring it an abject failure.

So far I am pretty encouraged by his personnel picks. Yeah, it isn't some idealistic progressive fantasy, but it is full of serious professionals that know how to get shit done. Kerry's appointment as climate envoy caught me off guard, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Kerry is universally known and enormously respected in diplomatic circles. He is a former SecState, a former Presidential Candidate, and a long term Senator. He is a big deal, and putting him in a role that easily could have been given to a no name minion sends a powerful message that we are really serious about this. Nobody is going to snub Kerry, when he shows up he will get the meetings he needs to get the job done. It really gives me a lot of hope that we are going to be putting some real weight behind combating climate change.
    We already know how less conservative democrats than Biden handled it, I think im safe in placing my bets here. They need to be a lot more extreme if they are serious about preventing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    We already know how less conservative democrats than Biden handled it, I think im safe in placing my bets here.
    Well putting Kerry in charge of climate related diplomacy sends a pretty powerful message that it is a big deal, wouldn't you agree? Biden and Kerry have worked closely for about half a century now, and Kerry agreed to take the job. That tells me they consider this a big deal.

I know this isn't the administration you want, but it is the administration we have, and it is a hell of a lot better then the alternative, so lets look on the bright side for a month or two at least. You aren't going to get anything better until at least 2024 anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to be honest here, I loved all the science behind the bombing and destruction of Libya, truly it does work!
    I love it how you only give a shit about a topic, until someone provides a contradictory point. Last I checked, no one has bombed Libya as much as US, be it through direct action or through arm sales within the last two weeks. Yet, this is your environment solution for Biden?

More than 3 years of historic number of bombings and arm sales in the region, but you bring it up, after falling on your ass over the environment? Show me a single post from you, condemning Trump’s bombing, to prove your whole political alignment, isn’t reactionary moda?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    No, that can't be true, I'm sure if you did some numerology you can figure out that it actually means the date of Deep State attack.
    Or just read Biden's own words. It is a bunch of therapeutic claptrap, he even says "I don’t expect the government to solve my problems." He gave away the game right then and there. He will understand your problem, but won't you know do anything. So, hopefully knowing there is a president that uhhhhhh Believes in Science! ummm and Understands! will suffice where those stimulus checks should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Or just read Biden's own words. It is a bunch of therapeutic claptrap, he even says "I don’t expect the government to solve my problems." He gave away the game right then and there. He will understand your problem, but won't you know do anything. So, hopefully knowing there is a president that uhhhhhh Believes in Science! ummm and Understands! will suffice where those stimulus checks should have been.
    The one in which Theo doesn't understand how quoting someone works.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Or just read Biden's own words.
    That was his dad's words. Did you forget that? It literally says "My dad used to say...." Would you like to try again?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1335346208106291206

In the video. Biden calls for:
    • Extending unemployment insurance
    • Emergency paid leave
    • Eviction moratorium

People dunking on it, by claiming he just wants government to understand people, not help them, is actually showing they post about videos they don't watch. They're just copypasta some guy on substack or /pol.

Biden delivered these points many times during the presidential campaign. Which he won by over 7 million votes.

I don't think the problem is with Biden's communication, but with lazy partisan Podcast and Twitter users with terrible comprehension.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1335346208106291206

In the video. Biden calls for:
    • Extending unemployment insurance
    • Emergency paid leave
    • Eviction moratorium

People dunking on it, by claiming he just wants government to understand people, not help them, is actually showing they post about videos they don't watch. They're just copypasta some guy on substack or /pol.

Biden delivered these points many times during the presidential campaign. Which he won by over 7 million votes.

I don't think the problem is with Biden's communication, but with lazy partisan Podcast and Twitter users with terrible comprehension.
    There's a lot of people who mistake "I actively avoided learning anything about the candidate because I hold my partisan blinders close and dear, I need to believe that the enemy is the true Satan and cannot risk challenging that nonsense" with "my political opponents are bad at communicating".

See like every time this has come up, I've posted the candidate's platform page which refutes whatever nonsense they're claiming, and the response comes back "so I have to look stuff up for myself? If I don't magically learn everything through telepathy it's everyone else's fault and not mine at all!"

15+ Year Old Account

Or poverty, or homeless or dealing with other countries... or healthcare, always the best solutions! 2 things can't both be bad, that is not how it works!!!
    Just go to https://www.congress.gov/ and look up bills that Democrats have passed the last 4 years. Or heck, even 12 or 16 years. Democrats HAVE been trying to pass a lot of things for fixing climate change and for the working poor and for every other issue you can think of.

But guess what? Most of the time it ends up sitting on the Senate majority leader's desk and nothing happens.

People are always like "DEMOCRATS DON'T DO THIS/THAT" and screech about things Democrats have promised that they've yet to do much about. And yet these same people seem to forget that Republicans have had legislative control for most of the last two decades. If Republicans control either the house or the senate, you will not see any left wing bills pass unless Republicans explicitly approve of it.

This is why I facepalm at all of the people who are so goddamn focused on the presidency, as if Bernie would change anything at all. However, NOBODY EVER SEEMS TO REPLY TO ME WHEN I MAKE THAT POINT. If Republicans don't want something to pass, it will not pass. Period.

People can put away their Bernie boners and Biden hate until they look through all of the bills passed by Democrats and blocked by Republicans.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much it. With Biden confirmed the anti Democrat social media presence has gone into overdrive. Biden is the first Democrat president since social media became a major part of politics. You could maybe argue Obama, but during his presidency social media was still pretty young and not a central part of politics.

- - - Updated - - -

People seem to have this strange notion that the Democratic party is farther right than they actually are.

Their point of reference: What Democrats manage to pass into law.

What they ignore: All the other things that Republicans shoot down.

The Democratic party is very much a left wing party. They might be further right than several other left wing parties in the world, but people seem to ignore the fact that the Democratic track record for PASSED laws is largely set by Republicans, who are half a step from fascists.

"DEMOCRATS DON'T DO THIS LEFT WING THING"
    *Looks at the past*
    They passed a bill for just that, Republicans just took it out back and shot it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Just go to https://www.congress.gov/ and look up bills that Democrats have passed the last 4 years. Or heck, even 12 or 16 years. Democrats HAVE been trying to pass a lot of things for fixing climate change and for the working poor and for every other issue you can think of.

But guess what? Most of the time it ends up sitting on the Senate majority leader's desk and nothing happens.

People are always like "DEMOCRATS DON'T DO THIS/THAT" and screech about things Democrats have promised that they've yet to do much about. And yet these same people seem to forget that Republicans have had legislative control for most of the last two decades. If Republicans control either the house or the senate, you will not see any left wing bills pass unless Republicans explicitly approve of it.

This is why I facepalm at all of the people who are so goddamn focused on the presidency, as if Bernie would change anything at all. However, NOBODY EVER SEEMS TO REPLY TO ME WHEN I MAKE THAT POINT. If Republicans don't want something to pass, it will not pass. Period.

People can put away their Bernie boners and Biden hate until they look through all of the bills passed by Democrats and blocked by Republicans.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much it. With Biden confirmed the anti Democrat social media presence has gone into overdrive. Biden is the first Democrat president since social media became a major part of politics. You could maybe argue Obama, but during his presidency social media was still pretty young and not a central part of politics.

- - - Updated - - -

People seem to have this strange notion that the Democratic party is farther right than they actually are.

Their point of reference: What Democrats manage to pass into law.

What they ignore: All the other things that Republicans shoot down.

The Democratic party is very much a left wing party. They might be further right than several other left wing parties in the world, but people seem to ignore the fact that the Democratic track record for PASSED laws is largely set by Republicans, who are half a step from fascists.

"DEMOCRATS DON'T DO THIS LEFT WING THING"
    *Looks at the past*
    They passed a bill for just that, Republicans just took it out back and shot it.
    Remember, according to multiple fake and/or purposefully ignorant children on the forum:

It’s simultaneously the Democrats’ fault that the republicans won’t pass their bills, BUT any type of negotiation or compromise is abhorrent.

These people just are disconnected from reality and hopefully should be ignored until their tantrums fade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Remember, according to multiple fake and/or purposefully ignorant children on the forum:

It’s simultaneously the Democrats’ fault that the republicans won’t pass their bills, BUT any type of negotiation or compromise is abhorrent.

These people just are disconnected from reality and hopefully should be ignored until their tantrums fade.
    Depends on what you mean by negotiation and compromise.

If the two positions are "maybe we should respect people's rights and freedoms equally", contrasted with "blacks and leftists deserve to be beaten and abused by the cops, police brutality is a net positive", compromise involves accepting some degree of police abuse targeted against certain groups.

That's not real compromise. That's a partial win for the other side, and a complete loss for those who give a shit about equality and fairness and decency. In that position, if you cannot reach agreement, deadlock is the only alternative.

And sure, they're gonna use the same arguments; they can't risk those leftie commie socialists gaining any ground. But that's when I'm gonna say to examine each position on their internal merits. Context matters. The difference between "we insist that police not abuse their privileges and subjugate certain groups" and "we insist the police do exactly those things" is pretty goddamned clear, and playing a "both sides!" argument because they both resort to the tactics of deadlock is . . . not really an argument.

Or in short, basically what this comic is getting at;

https://thenib.com/centrist-history/ Link to the artist

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Depends on what you mean by negotiation and compromise.

If the two positions are "maybe we should respect people's rights and freedoms equally", contrasted with "blacks and leftists deserve to be beaten and abused by the cops, police brutality is a net positive", compromise involves accepting some degree of police abuse targeted against certain groups.

That's not real compromise. That's a partial win for the other side, and a complete loss for those who give a shit about equality and fairness and decency. In that position, if you cannot reach agreement, deadlock is the only alternative.

And sure, they're gonna use the same arguments; they can't risk those leftie commie socialists gaining any ground. But that's when I'm gonna say to examine each position on their internal merits. Context matters. The difference between "we insist that police not abuse their privileges and subjugate certain groups" and "we insist the police do exactly those things" is pretty goddamned clear, and playing a "both sides!" argument because they both resort to the tactics of deadlock is . . . not really an argument.

Or in short, basically what this comic is getting at;

https://thenib.com/centrist-history/ Link to the artist
    But then you can’t blame them for things not getting passed, can you?

It will be a while before I forget that exchange in the covid thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    But then you can’t blame them for things not getting passed, can you?
    Why not?

The blame is not on the act of their opposition, but for the ideological principles they use to try to justify that act.

This is what I meant by context. Same reason we don't treat someone who stabs their wife to death for cheating on them the same way we'd treat someone who stabbed a mass shooter to try and stop their rampage. Context fucking matters, and ignoring it to falsely imply the two cases are the same because of the core act is not reasonable in the least.