1. #8481
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You know, it's still pretty easy to bash American Imperialism without using something old enough to collect Social Security. Got anything more recent than the Honeymooners in there?
    60 years old, this stuff happened over the course of 70 years with several ongoing and many of these events such as Russia, Iraq and Afghanistan all happening while you and I were ALIVE unless you are like twelve, in which case, Syria, Libya, and Venezuela are shining examples. What are you on about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  2. #8482
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Is he talking about international cybersecurity concerns? Or just American ones (America First)?
    I do not believe Trump is skilled enough a tactician to set Iran on fire with ones and zeroes. I believe Russia is far more active in the malignant area and things will get better worldwide if Russia was basically forced to stop.

    Is the US also cyberfucking around and finding out? I mean, almost certainly. I just think far less than we could, if we had a really pressing reason. That's not an excuse for fucking with a country until it catches fire, nor am I defending that behavior if it's happening (it is). Only pointing out that things get better, not worse, if everyone agres to calm down, and that I can claim "Iran had it coming" and almost have a straight face.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Biden lays out how he feels the conference went. Obviously, we'll wait for results. Anyone can claim they were able to make Putin do what they said, even if it's incredibly false. But it sounds like a lot of "if you keep aiming the gun at your face and pulling the trigger, I'll start putting bullets in the chamber" and Biden doesn't strike me as the type to joke about it.

    President Biden said he warned Vladimir Putin in their meeting in Geneva on Wednesday that Russia will face stiff consequences if it conducts cyberattacks on critical U.S. infrastructure or allows opposition leader Alexei Navalny to die.

    "Where we have differences, I want President Putin to understand why I say what I say, and why I do what I do. And how we will respond to different actions that harm America's interests," Biden said at a press conference following the summit, which was shorter than expected.

    On Navalny, Biden said he told Putin the consequences if he died in prison would be "devastating for Russia."

    On cybersecurity, Biden said he presented Putin with what the U.S. considers the critical elements of its infrastructure and told him the U.S. would respond forcefully — with cyber means of its own — if they were targeted. "We'll find out whether we have a cybersecurity arrangement that begins to bring some order," he said.
    So, yeah, I wasn't pretending all that hard.

    On nuclear security, Biden said a strategic dialogue would be launched and the U.S. would know within the next six months to a year whether it was a serious process likely to yield results.

    Key quotes from Biden's press conference:
    • "How could I be the president of the United States of America and not speak out against the violation of human rights?"
    • "The bottom line is, I told President Putin that we need to have some basic rules of the road that we can all abide by."
    • "My agenda is not against Russia or anybody else. It's for the American people."
    • Biden said Putin "still is concerned that we in fact are looking to take him down," but "the last thing he wants now is a cold war."

    As to why the summit was shorter than planned, Biden said he and Putin covered all of the key issues in their meeting — with only their foreign ministers present — and then recapped those discussions with the larger group to ensure there were no misunderstandings.

    After two hours there, we looked at each other like, OK, what's next?
    — President Biden

    During his own press conference after the meeting, Putin described the summit as "constructive" and said he did not think "there was any kind of hostility” between the two leaders.

    "Many of our joint positions are divergent, but nevertheless I think both sides manifested a determination to try and understand each other and try and converge our positions," Putin told reporters.

    "The meeting, you know, was actually very sufficient, and it was substantive and specific, and it was aimed at achieving results."

    Biden said he relayed to Putin human rights concerns on Navalny and jailed former U.S. Marines Trevor Reed and Paul Whelan.

    He also gave the Russian president a list of 16 critical infrastructure entities that are off limits as targets for cyberattacks and vowed to use the U.S.' "significant" cyber capabilities to respond if they are targeted.

    The most concrete result of the meeting was an agreement between the U.S. and Russia to immediately return ambassadors to their posts in Moscow and Washington, which Putin announced during his conference.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    this stuff happened over the course of 70 years
    Yeah, so pick one. From something more recent than "old enough to have fuckable grandchildren". Shouldn't be hard.

  3. #8483
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    From something more recent than "old enough to have fuckable grandchildren". Shouldn't be hard.
    I feel in light of Matt Gaetz and at least one of the Jan. 6 riot attendees, that you need to be a bit more explicit with "fuckable grandchildren", because there seems to be quite a lot of leeway there. Maybe "old enough to have federally legally fuckable grandchildren" would cover those bases.

  4. #8484
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryctos View Post
    I just hope we can relpace Rubio next year. I know its wishful thinking since we replaced Nelson with a criminal like Scott.
    Personally I don't see how the Democrats make the Senate anymore blue, but let's see.

  5. #8485
    There might be a few seats in play that aren't Sinema or Manchin's. And that would be hilarious if those few seats became staunchly democrat. Neither Manchin nor Sinema would be relevant.

  6. #8486
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Confirmed 4 federal judges to lifetime appointments, passed a massive $250B science and technology R&D out of the Senate with bipartisan support, and just got unanimous consent to make Juneteenth a Federal Holiday.
    4 judges. Only 230 more to get to what trump did. Better get the fuck on that shit cause very little else is gonna happen.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    When President Biden was Vice President, Obama and Hillary interfered directly in the electoral processes in Honduras.

    When Trump was President, he bragged about separating people from their families and putting people in cages.

    People in Honduras reacted by creating human caravans to migrate north to the US because Trump was a lot more humane - and by that I mean less brutal - than the government that came into power when President Biden was Vice President. And yes we interfered quite a bit to make that happen. And the government that we installed was, and still is, quite brutal.

    President Biden is quite aware of many of the times we have interfered in other countries elections. He was not out of the loop as Vice President. And some of what was done was - and still is - quite brutal

    People voted with their feet to face Trump and his supporters rather than face the government we helped install.
    No president is a saint, in fact every single one of them has objectively done some horrific fucking shit, sane people realize this. But of course, people like Theo has gotta project, because Trumpsters have a shrine to god king trump(inb4 she lies claiming she's not pro-trump), and therefore think's everyone who opposes Trump has some shrine to Biden.

    Ah think I replied to the wrong person here sorry for mishap.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-06-17 at 12:07 AM.

  7. #8487
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yeah, so pick one. From something more recent than "old enough to have fuckable grandchildren". Shouldn't be hard.
    Several of those happened in in your own lifespan if you are an adult, and all within Biden's lifespan, many of which Biden championed as a Senator or Vice President. What are you on about?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I feel in light of Matt Gaetz and at least one of the Jan. 6 riot attendees, that you need to be a bit more explicit with "fuckable grandchildren", because there seems to be quite a lot of leeway there. Maybe "old enough to have federally legally fuckable grandchildren" would cover those bases.
    Assuming you are at least 18, several of those even happened or were ongoing in your own lifespan, and most of the things I listed (Admittedly a shortened list), also it should be noted almost all of it happened in Biden's lifespan and a good chunk while Biden was involved in politics. Several of which he championed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  8. #8488
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Several of those happened in in your own lifespan if you are an adult, and all within Biden's lifespan, many of which Biden championed as a Senator or Vice President.
    I'm curious about which ones Biden "championed". Can you elaborate?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  9. #8489
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Personally I don't see how the Democrats make the Senate anymore blue, but let's see.
    I mean, WI is gonna flip blue. That I can almost gaurantee, just like I did with colorado flipping in 2020. PA is hard not to imagine a flip. If you actually look at the 2022 senate seats at play, I don't see how democrats can't make the senate more blue. The problem in 2022 is the House.

  10. #8490
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean, WI is gonna flip blue. That I can almost gaurantee, just like I did with colorado flipping in 2020. PA is hard not to imagine a flip. If you actually look at the 2022 senate seats at play, I don't see how democrats can't make the senate more blue. The problem in 2022 is the House.
    The White House party generally loses seats in the House in midterm elections. With more new House seats in red states, coupled with gerrymandering fuckery from GoP-controlled state legislatures and blatant voter-suppression tactics, it's going to be an "interesting" midterm. Democrats are polling well so far, but we're still a ways out, so we'll see.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  11. #8491
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The White House party generally loses seats in the House in midterm elections. With more new House seats in red states, coupled with gerrymandering fuckery from GoP-controlled state legislatures and blatant voter-suppression tactics, it's going to be an "interesting" midterm. Democrats are polling well so far, but we're still a ways out, so we'll see.
    Yeah I'm not confident in the house due to the covid and trump fuckery with the census. Usually the White house does lose seats, but Trump won't be on the ticket either so enthusiasm on both sides might be low. I agree, way too early to guess which way the house is gonna go.

  12. #8492
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The White House party generally loses seats in the House in midterm elections. With more new House seats in red states, coupled with gerrymandering fuckery from GoP-controlled state legislatures and blatant voter-suppression tactics, it's going to be an "interesting" midterm. Democrats are polling well so far, but we're still a ways out, so we'll see.
    If the elections would be fair, democrats would clean up in 2022. There are reasons why republicans are going so far out of their way to rig elections going forward. The hard work for democrats is to make sure republicans lose DESPITE their cheating.

    It's too crucial to be interesting. I would use adjectives like stressful. All each of us can do individually is to do our part and what we can. But yeah we'll see.

  13. #8493
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean, WI is gonna flip blue. That I can almost gaurantee, just like I did with colorado flipping in 2020. PA is hard not to imagine a flip. If you actually look at the 2022 senate seats at play, I don't see how democrats can't make the senate more blue. The problem in 2022 is the House.
    I think a lot will come down to if the SCOTUS decides to really jump on the roe v wade bomb they have set for themsevles. If they wind up gutting it that could go a long way to energizing people who have been complacent for a long time on.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    If the elections would be fair, democrats would clean up in 2022. There are reasons why republicans are going so far out of their way to rig elections going forward. The hard work for democrats is to make sure republicans lose DESPITE their cheating.

    It's too crucial to be interesting. I would use adjectives like stressful. All each of us can do individually is to do our part and what we can. But yeah we'll see.
    At least the plus side the dems have more state house and gov mansion representivies than we did in 2010 like WI I can't see how the districts are as bad as last time because evers would simply veto that shit into oblivion.

  14. #8494
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Several of those
    Um...several of what things? You said Bay of Pigs then some handwaving generalities about countries. If it's that common, surely you could be more specific? Hell, I could name some. I'm just wondering why you picked something old enough to remember Raymond Burr and Delta Burke both being skinny but balk at naming something specific too young to know Perry Mason or Designing Women.

  15. #8495
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm curious about which ones Biden "championed". Can you elaborate?
    We can start with say the Iraq War, something that happened I assume within your lifetime, and mine, and you know Biden, who despite claims to the contrary, backed that war and went to bat for it.

    Can't get any more meddling then "We are going to invade, butcher your people and install whatever puppet we want."

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...several of what things? You said Bay of Pigs then some handwaving generalities about countries. If it's that common, surely you could be more specific? Hell, I could name some. I'm just wondering why you picked something old enough to remember Raymond Burr and Delta Burke both being skinny but balk at naming something specific too young to know Perry Mason or Designing Women.
    I asked if you considered "Bay of Pigs" totally not US backed and endorsed, and ignored you know, that all of these things happened while Biden was alive and several of them while he held political office since the 70s. So 50 of the years Biden actually had power and held office and you've been alive for what? Twenty years? Ten? Even if you are 15 several happened in your lifetime or were on going. Such as Bolivia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and Venezuela just to name a few. Look I get it, the obligation to defend every fart Biden cuts is strong for the UBER Democrat, and I know "The sacred Party is good guy team!" thinking is powerful, but you have to recognize Biden's own words are god damn hilarious given the US' recent history and current activities in various countries. Some of these regime change and meddling operations are happening right god damn now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  16. #8496
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I think a lot will come down to if the SCOTUS decides to really jump on the roe v wade bomb they have set for themsevles. If they wind up gutting it that could go a long way to energizing people who have been complacent for a long time on.
    Honestly, any members of the supreme court who want to basically function as GOP representatives would do well to avoid making any definitive rulings on that issue. It's one of the few things Republicans can reliably lean on to put fear (of Dems murdering thousands of babies) into the hearts of their constituents. I assume they're perfectly happy to let state governments keep passing dumbass anti-abortion laws that get tossed out as being obviously unconstitutional so they can continue to keep their base motivated.

  17. #8497
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Personally I don't see how the Democrats make the Senate anymore blue, but let's see.
    It can happen if Dems come to term with the cycle complacent sterile politics that loses them Congress. Every. Single. Time. The GOP are the conservative party. They want things to remain the, but usually regress too. Democrats are always voted in on the pretense of progressing past conservative values - that's what gets people excited and out to vote. Democrats then do the same-old-same, play nicely with the conservatives, scratch the backs of the centrists, voters perceive the political climate as the stagnant and don't votr/vote to punish - government turns red.

    Biden wants to emulate the style of Obama when Obama lost Congress but be even more conservative in his style of governing. He is going to create the same cycle of apathetic voters in a time of decreasing voter rights.


    People see stunts that people like Manchin and Sinema pull and grow disillusioned. Without an in your face villain like Trump they stay home.


    The party can actually try to do better, in that case it will pick up the seats for an actual majority or end up losing the present slim majority. Apparently acknowledging that the GOP will put up a unified red front and stop at nothing to win is taboo. They literally the attack on the Capitol Building in 4K through legal processes. They are going to going hard to retake the Senate, and the House is vulnerable...the GOP does not hide what it is and should easy to beat if people are honest about the laurels the Democratic party rest on.

    The Senate is for the Dems to lose, but the party is good at losing it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Honestly, any members of the supreme court who want to basically function as GOP representatives would do well to avoid making any definitive rulings on that issue. It's one of the few things Republicans can reliably lean on to put fear (of Dems murdering thousands of babies) into the hearts of their constituents. I assume they're perfectly happy to let state governments keep passing dumbass anti-abortion laws that get tossed out as being obviously unconstitutional so they can continue to keep their base motivated.
    I don't think they will touch it. It's too good of a wedge issue for votes and not a cause enough of them actually believe. Actually ruling on it means the GOP losing it as thing to scare people to the polls with. Most they would do is not take abortion related cases when someone sues a state.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  18. #8498
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    We can start with say the Iraq War, something that happened I assume within your lifetime, and mine, and you know Biden, who despite claims to the contrary, backed that war and went to bat for it.
    I think you need to reexamine your definition of "championing" something. Also, it's notable that you single out an event in which the criticism of people's support must be tempered by the fact that everyone was fucking lied to by the Bush administration on the subject of WMDs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Can't get any more meddling then "We are going to invade, butcher your people and install whatever puppet we want."
    Well. Soooooomething tells me that's not an actual Biden quote, despite your use of "quotes". Just a hunch, though.

    Do you want to know what Biden actually said?
    Biden’s Speech Prior to Vote

    Three days later, just prior to the vote to authorize military force, Biden gave a lengthy speech from the floor of the Senate and explained why he would vote for the resolution (beginning on S10290).

    Biden said he viewed the resolution not as a “rush to war,” as some of his Democratic colleagues alleged, but rather a “march to peace and security.”

    “I believe passage of this, with strong support, is very likely to enhance the prospects that the secretary of state will get a strong resolution out of the [United Nations] Security Council,” Biden said.

    Biden added that the resolution would increase the probability the U.N. would get inspectors into Iraq to do meaningful investigations of its weapons program.

    “I will vote for this because we should be compelling Iraq to make good on its obligations to the United Nations,” Biden said. “Because while Iraq’s illegal weapons of mass destruction program do not — do not — pose an imminent threat to our national security, in my view, they will, if left unfettered. And because a strong vote in Congress, as I said, increases the prospect for a tough, new U.N. resolution on weapons of mass destruction, it is likely to get weapons inspectors in, which, in turn, decreases the prospects of war, in my view.”

    Biden seized on this statement in Bush’s address to the nation: “Approving this resolution does not mean that military action is imminent or unavoidable.”

    Biden praised Bush for choosing, up to that point, “a course of moderation and deliberation” and noted that Bush promised that any military action would be “with allies at our side.” Biden said the resolution emphasized “the importance of international support, manifested through the United Nations Security Council.”

    Though Biden pushed forcefully for a wider international response, he was not opposed to military action, if necessary.

    “Ultimately, either those weapons must be dislodged from Iraq, or Saddam must be dislodged from power,” Biden said.

    It’s true, as Biden has said recently, that he saw the resolution as a means to compel Iraq to allow weapons inspectors back in.

    • Biden, Oct. 10, 2002: Concerning Iraq, our first step should be the one the president apparently has chosen: to get the weapons inspectors back into Iraq. … I agree with President Bush that given a new mandate and the authority to go any place, any time, with no advance warning, U.N. inspections can work. They can succeed in discovering and destroying much of Saddam’s chemical and biological arsenals and his missile program. They can delay and derail his efforts to acquire nuclear weapons and, at the very least, they will give us a clearer picture of what Saddam has, force him to focus on hiding his weapons and not building more, and it will buy us time to build a strong coalition to act if he refuses to disarm.

    Biden argued the resolution “would finally force Saddam to face the choice between inspectors and invaders … and there is at least a chance that he might make the right choice.”

    Biden also warned that the cost of a war would be much higher than most Americans believed, and that reconstruction of Iraq would be difficult, costly and likely take a decade — comments that seem prescient given how events unfolded. But again, Biden said he was not opposed to military action if diplomacy failed.

    “There is also a chance Saddam will once again miscalculate, that he will misjudge our resolve, and in that event we must be prepared to use force with others if we can, and alone if we must,” Biden said.

    The resolution passed the House 296-133 on Oct. 10, 2002. It passed the Senate the following day 77-33.
    It's also notable that Biden has, since at least 2005, denounced the Iraq War and Bush's handling of it, calling his vote a mistake.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  19. #8499
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I think a lot will come down to if the SCOTUS decides to really jump on the roe v wade bomb they have set for themsevles. If they wind up gutting it that could go a long way to energizing people who have been complacent for a long time on.
    I agree with this. There are quite a few other bombs they are also setting for themselves. The downside is that some of this will do real harm to the US. But at this point they can't be stopped


    Quote Originally Posted by kaid
    At least the plus side the dems have more state house and gov mansion representivies than we did in 2010 like WI I can't see how the districts are as bad as last time because evers would simply veto that shit into oblivion.
    This is true. Not only that, the crap that republicans are pulling is getting a lot of attention. So much of what they did slid under the radar, to the huge detriment of the country.

    The odds of a democratic landslide in 2022 are certainly not zero. For these and many other reasons. Fingers crossed!

  20. #8500
    One one hand; Supreme Court upholds ObamaCare in 7-2 ruling

    GOP had a too much a shitty argument.

    And on the other hand; Supreme Court sides with Catholic adoption agency that turned away same-sex couples

    The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the city of Philadelphia ran afoul of religious protections when it cut ties with a Catholic adoption agency over its refusal to place foster children with same-sex couples.

    Writing for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts said that Philadelphia’s move violated the First Amendment’s Free Exercise clause. There were no dissents, but several justices wrote separate concurring opinions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •