Truest words I have seen from someone who trolls and disagrees with me all the time. The answer is obvious about basic research, like when edge got mad and posted in a discussion about information in the posted article he didn't bother to read. You should be like Fugues and accuse him of being a different person in the forum, because there can't be multiple people who disagree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Truest words I have seen from someone who trolls and disagrees with me all the time. The answer is obvious about basic research, like when edge got mad and posted in a discussion about information in the posted article he didn't bother to read. You should be like Fugues and accuse him of being a different person in the forum, because there can't be multiple people who disagree with him.
    This is ironic coming from you.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Really not interested in your 'woe to me' spiel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Drop the personal digs and stick to the topic. It is fairly broad already, being a megathread, so there should be plenty to post about, even without other posters.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this Executive Order, Biden basically says "We seized $9 billion in Taliban assets. We're giving $3.5 billion in aid to the Afghani people directly, and the rest paid to 9/11 victims that the Taliban helped murder"

Incidentally this does not appear to be an Iran Nuclear Deal "we'll give you your own money back when you follow the rules". This is "It's ours now, you terrorist fuckwits, and we're throwing it in your face".

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In this Executive Order, Biden basically says "We seized $9 billion in Taliban assets. We're giving $3.5 billion in aid to the Afghani people directly, and the rest paid to 9/11 victims that the Taliban helped murder"

Incidentally this does not appear to be an Iran Nuclear Deal "we'll give you your own money back when you follow the rules". This is "It's ours now, you terrorist fuckwits, and we're throwing it in your face".
    really don't understand this. He's literally taking food from starving peoples mouths. Just let the 9/11 families sue saudi u fucking pussies.

Why not just give the whole 9 in humanitarian aid. I get that the Talibs embarrassed you but people are selling their children and organs for basics.

Immoral move. It politicizes humanitarian aid while hurting the Afghan people and doesn't challenge Taliban power in anyway +the 9/11 families don't seem to want it.

Is this some sick calculus because of his botched withdrawal or something? Can't understand it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    He's literally taking food from starving peoples mouths.
    He wasn't, no. The Taliban were doing that already. If Biden hadn't done this, none of the money would be going to the Afghan people. Let's keep the blame where it belongs.

He wasn't, no. The Taliban were doing that already. If Biden hadn't done this, none of the money would be going to the Afghan people. Let's keep the blame where it belongs.
    no evidence of this. The US emptied gov. coffers (talibs are gov.) which triggered a currency crisis and no salaries could be paid or services provided. And now its pinching half the money.

America once again smashing the Afghan people, cruelty is the point must be a bipartisan position now.

oof the more i read the worse it gets.

Theres enough food in Afghan but the currency crisis based on taking the central banks funds is whats causing the problem, and this makes it permanent.

If Trump did this you'd be up in fucking arms. And rightly so. Splitting the Afghans cash between aid contractors and 9/11 families while people starve and suffer. Grim.
    Last edited by jonnysensible; 2022-02-11 at 04:16 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the US's absolutely abysmal history with independent contractors so far, Biden is pinching a lot more than half. I wonder how many are campaign donors. None of the money actually goes to the current government or directly to the Afghan people.

- - - Updated - - -

+the 9/11 families don't seem to want it.
    This I don't think is true, because many of them did actually sue for the funds.

10+ Year Old Account
    no evidence of this. The US emptied gov. coffers (talibs are gov.) which triggered a currency crisis and no salaries could be paid or services provided. And now its pinching half the money.
    If that money was so important to running the country, the Taliban terrorists shouldn't have left it with us. 80% of the Afghan budget is already from the US and other international donors, technically, adding these billions will make it go up, not down. The Taliban were already barely paying anyone anyhow, we were.

If a thief pleads to the court "please don't take back that money I stole, I need to pay for Little Jimmy's operation" sorry but...no. If the Taliban weren't ready to take over the country, maybe they shouldn't have taken over the country. If the Taliban aren't paying their own employees, because they were penalized for being murdering terrorists siding with other murdering terrorists, and Biden is forcing them to do it with their own money by paying them directly, I refuse to say Biden's the bad guy here. The Taliban helped the biggest terrorist/mass murderer to ever strike in the US, then put billions of dollars in our Federal Reserve. What did they think would happen?

The Taliban are terrorists. I refuse to give them a pass just because they have bills to pay. These are issues that should have been discussed when (a) they wanted to take over the country when they weren't prepared and (b) Trump decided to help them. Did America fuck up Afghanistan? Absolutely we did. We should never have stayed and should never have taken over. That sucks. This isn't the same thing. The Taliban were murderers even before we came and murdered for 20 years afterwards, then decided they wanted to run the country with no ability to do so. I'm not blaming Biden for that part due to the context. The eight years under Obama, yes absolutely, we can talk about that. What Biden announced today? No question, Biden made a tough call and sided against the Taliban murdering terrorists, and is taking their money and splitting it amongst their American and Afghani victims. He could have just sat on the money as he's done since August. This is objectively better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Considering the US's absolutely abysmal history with independent contractors so far, Biden is pinching a lot more than half.
    Yeah, there is that. Getting the aid to people will cost some of that money...and yes, some of it will be misused or stolen.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1491916169841831947

Peter Navarro, when asked if Harris can overturn an election, freaks out and does his best rendition of the "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!" from Bohemian Rhapsody, gives a convoluted argument about how Pence was actually just going to send it back to the states.

When re-asked the question with the "correct" framing, he refuses to answer and just talks about the theory generally in relation to Pence.

Man, it's almost like these dishonest fucks realize that when the shoe is on the other foot their attempts at brazenly dishonest and illegal tactics are a pretty big threat to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Pence was actually just going to send it back to the states.
    Yep, under the guise of "these results the states certified, took dozens of court cases to re-confirm through multiple audits, and had no evidence of fraud at all, are still wrong, they should just declare Trump won so we'll give them another chance they clearly neither need nor want".

I mean, how can you trust these election officials? People pretend to be them all the time!

I am sorry but that line is entirely bullshit, why are we cozying up to the Saudis you know the people who made up the hijackers and funded them. The Taliban are no saint but this whole 9/11 angle is tiresome it obviously doesn't bother the US government since we are in bed with the Saudis committing war crimes in Yemen.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're giving $3.5 billion in aid to the Afghani people directly
    How much of that is going to get back to the Taliban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The Taliban are no saint but this whole 9/11 angle is tiresome
    "The Taliban is no saint" is more than a little understatement. We invaded Afghanistan because of the actions of the Taliban. Then, they murdered their own people for another 20 years over political differences. As others have already said, they're being sued by the 9/11 families.

I don't find 9/11 tiresome. Like, at all. Maybe others are ready to forgive or forget their role, but I'm not there yet and have no plans to be.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of cozying up to the Saudis, either. But that's not an excuse to let the Taliban off the hook.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    How much of that is going to get back to the Taliban?
    EDIT: Hastily misread answer scrubbed.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2022-02-11 at 07:56 PM.

As @Nurasu said, not enough. The good news is, it's more than zero, which was the case until today. We were just sitting on the money.
    I think Wunksta's question was about how much of the money we give to the Afghan people is just going to end up back with the Taliban anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think Wunksta's question was about how much of the money we give to the Afghan people is just going to end up back with the Taliban anyway.
    Well, fuck, I misread that. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like finding out your kid's being bullied and having their lunch money stolen.

So your response is to give them more lunch money.

Obviously not gonna help the situation.

Note that in context, you also tried to beat up the bully on your kids' behalf, and they shot spitballs at you until you ran away, defeated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's where I was going with the question, sorry I wasn't more clear.

"The Taliban is no saint" is more than a little understatement. We invaded Afghanistan because of the actions of the Taliban. Then, they murdered their own people for another 20 years over political differences. As others have already said, they're being sued by the 9/11 families.

I don't find 9/11 tiresome. Like, at all. Maybe others are ready to forgive or forget their role, but I'm not there yet and have no plans to be.
    For the record, I'm not a big fan of cozying up to the Saudis, either. But that's not an excuse to let the Taliban off the hook.
    We invaded Afghanistan under false pretenses there's a stronger link between the Saudis and AlQeda than the Taliban. The US government has gone out of its way to protect the Saudis from investigations or any accountability for 9/11 so yea we obviously forgive and forgot. As for killing their own people Joe Biden's administration just approved a 2.5 billion dollar sale to Egypt you know a government that has spent years killing its own people over political differences. We have a rather long history of doing this there's no moral high ground here, this is entirely the US being bitter about having egg in its face due to Afghanistan.

You can give the money to aid groups to distribute or some other means because the Taliban are horrible and corrupt but prolonging this 9/11 high ground again it's tiresome.