10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    On top of that, a lot of petroleum geologists either ended up retiring during the pandemic, or switching to other sectors.
    Yeah, that happened in a lot of sectors. It's like there was a lethal outbreak invited into the country by someone with no clue what they were doing, and suggesting people's lives were less important than his poll numbers. Or something. Glad Biden's turning those unemployment numbers back around, we were in bad shape there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Reality is that environmental groups sued to have the offshore lease sale invalidated and a judge ruled in their favor and the Biden administration is not appealing the ruling.....as I posted earlier in the thread.
    No dude. What you said was:

You're missing the part where the federal government has made it near impossible to operate new leases because of regulations.
    You've been proven wrong. Take the L.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

From your article above:

Reality is that environmental groups sued to have the offshore lease sale invalidated and a judge ruled in their favor and the Biden administration is not appealing the ruling.....as I posted earlier in the thread.

Perception does not indeed equal reality.
    The reality is Biden administration ended up issuing more drilling permits on public lands. Even if they had to be forced to do so, they did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fracking, specifically, has other issues also. Fracking wells do not stay productive anywhere near as long as conventional wells. Whereas conventional wells could last decades, fracking wells started to decline within 2 - 4 years. That meant to maintain production, drillers had to keep drilling new wells. They stopped doing that during the pandemic.
    Should possibly also point out that gas prices rising as new fields become more and more challenging to exploit is an argument for switching to renewables sooner and investing in green energy, not to invest further into an industry with as horrendous a track record as the fossil fuel industry.

Here's a question for all of you out there because you are supporters of Joe Biden, The administration has hampered domestic energy in the name climate control/change. Does the barrel of oil created in America have more of an impact on climate then the barrel of oil imported from Russia, Iran, or Venezuela?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a question for all of you out there because you are supporters of Joe Biden, The administration has hampered domestic energy in the name climate control/change.
    You've yet to provide actual evidence that this has happened.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The administration has hampered domestic energy in the name climate control/change.
    Citation needed*

Weird that this could be possible in the span of a single year, though. That's fast. Like, really fast. I don't think such a major change has ever happened so quickly!

Does the barrel of oil created in America have more of an impact on climate then the barrel of oil imported from Russia, Iran, or Venezuela?
    It depends on where you're talking about. Who's the operator of the drilling rig? Where is it being processed and refined? This is a fairly vague question that cannot be answered given how broad it is.

The reality is Biden administration ended up issuing more drilling permits on public lands. Even if they had to be forced to do so, they did it.
    So you admit they only did it as not to break the law. So they had to be FORCED to issue leases. A judge also halted the sale conveniently and they did not fight back over it, meaning they got a judge to do their work for them. That is reality too that you keep ignoring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's a question for all of you out there because you are supporters of Joe Biden, The administration has hampered domestic energy in the name climate control/change. Does the barrel of oil created in America have more of an impact on climate then the barrel of oil imported from Russia, Iran, or Venezuela?
    Domestic energy cannot be ramped up in a weekly basis. Real timeline horizons for oil companies to actually get crude oil to market that is of quality to refine into gasoline is years, not in days. The vast majority of refineries in the US are designed for Saudi Arabian and UAE crude oil, hence the reason for the president's call to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Redistricting shouldn't even be a political football in the first place if we were to abide by the constitutionally mandated lower bound of 1 representative per 30,000 persons. Guess what happens when there is more representation in the US?
    That would give us 11,080 representatives. You think discussion is hard with 435?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you admit they only did it as not to break the law. So they had to be FORCED to issue leases.
    Which directly contradicts your claim that the oil price spike was due to a lack of domestic production. QED.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Should possibly also point out that gas prices rising as new fields become more and more challenging to exploit is an argument for switching to renewables sooner and investing in green energy, not to invest further into an industry with as horrendous a track record as the fossil fuel industry.
    That sounds like @Flarelaine talking. It also sounds correct. If there were any easy-to-find gas pockets or oil wells, we'd have opened them up by now. This source cites that oil and gas discoveries have hit rock bottom HARDEE HAR HAR and dropped from 2013 to 2017, the article's date. It doesn't appear to have gotten much better since, which is why Russia was drilling the bottom of the frozen-ass ocean. Supposedly, we're at the lowest new discovery rate since 1948.

Oh, and Russia also invaded Ukraine to protect its pipeline. So there are other risks to oil. Hard to have a pipeline on the fucking sun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Citation needed*
    Seriously? Is this another time when you couldn't be bothered to read the links already posted?

How can ignore a mod? Especially one who can't be bothered to keep up with the thread or read links and asks for citations without ever providing any?

So you admit they only did it as not to break the law. So they had to be FORCED to issue leases. A judge also halted the sale conveniently and they did not fight back over it, meaning they got a judge to do their work for them. That is reality too that you keep ignoring.
    So did they do it or not? Because you claimed they didn't...not they are...but they're doing so because they were forced to...it's hard to keep track of what kind of goal posts are even being moved anymore. It was a football goal but I think we've transitioned to lacrosse now since those goals are easier to move. They're a lot smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That sounds like @Flarelaine talking. It also sounds correct. If there were any easy-to-find gas pockets or oil wells, we'd have opened them up by now. This source cites that oil and gas discoveries have hit rock bottom HARDEE HAR HAR and dropped from 2013 to 2017, the article's date. It doesn't appear to have gotten much better since, which is why Russia was drilling the bottom of the frozen-ass ocean. Supposedly, we're at the lowest new discovery rate since 1948.

Oh, and Russia also invaded Ukraine to protect its pipeline. So there are other risks to oil. Hard to have a pipeline on the fucking sun, though.
    But what about the 9000 new leases. It doesn't mean any are viable, but that is the response, 9000 new leases so it's the oil companies fault.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That would give us 11,080 representatives. You think discussion is hard with 435?
    "Discussion" now is employed by think tanks that manufacture talking points that get disseminated to representatives that have hundreds of times more relative power than US HoR representatives 100 years ago. We haven't apportioned more house seats since 1929.

The real debate we should be having is why are we allowing 535 people garner so much relative power over their constituencies when most of them have a below average understanding of modern issues and laws. We should be having a discussion of reformation away from republican governance into a direct democracy, or as a compromise, a minimum signature threshold by citizens to have referendums for laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    But what about the 9000 new leases. It doesn't mean any are viable, but that is the response, 9000 new leases so it's the oil companies fault.
    Dude, what are you even arguing anymore?

You're trying to claim that Biden's a hypocrite for criticizing Trump's negligent attitude to office by pointing at higher gas prices, and when you were told that the President does not in fact set gas prices you threw out a false claim that Biden had cut down domestic energy production and made a stink about renewables (also based on false information).

Take the L.

You're missing the part where the federal government has made it near impossible to operate new leases because of regulations. You can blame Russia and whatever else you want, but at least be honest about it, because the administration is not. Remember the tweet when democrats thanked Biden for gas price going down? I guess they were lying because he doesn't control it. https://twitter.com/dccc/status/1466...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    "new leases". Let me know when its 2035 and they get through the backlog on onshore leases they currently are sitting on. Also let me know when they get through the even bigger OFFSHORE leases they currently are sitting on.

Even the industry says they are doing more NOW than any time in the past 20 years. Odd you said restrictions were preventing them from operating on these leases huh? The industry leaders do not agree with you.

American Exploration & Production Council (AXPC) CEO Anne Bradbury told FOX Business."The fact is that industry is producing at a higher level on existing leases on federal lands than in the last 20 years and these leases take many years to explore, to develop and produce on," Bradbury added.

So more leases are not going to do a freaking thing right now or to anything short term.

Or maybe we could stop blaming the administration and start blaming the real folks behind the production lag/refusal to increase? The oil companies that are not going to fall into the drill drill drill baby trap again from the last administration where they did that and were left for dead/bankruptcy by the previous administration for being stupid enough to follow their plan

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...ressively.html

"Whether it's $150 oil, $200 oil, or $100 oil, we're not going to change our growth plans," Pioneer Natural Resources' chief executive Scott Sheffield told Bloomberg
    Sheffield said on Pioneer's call, referring to production growth: "Long term, we're still in that 0% to 5%. It's going to vary. We're not going to change, as I said, at $100 oil, $150 oil, we're not going to change our growth rate. We think it's important to return cash back to the shareholders."

..Companies like Pioneer Natural Resources, Continental Resources, and Devon Energy are keeping discipline and plan to grow production by no more than 5 percent annually.

"Oil and gas companies do not want to drill more," said Pavel Molchanov, an analyst at Raymond James. "They are under pressure from the financial community to pay more dividends, to do more share buybacks instead of the proverbial 'drill baby drill,' which is the way they would have done things 10 years ago. Corporate strategy has fundamentally changed."

To that end, while companies like ExxonMobil (XOM), Chevron (CVX), Marathon (MRO) and Phillips 66 (PSX) expect to spend more on exploration and other capital spending in 2022, none of those companies expect to hit 2019 spending levels. And it will take time for them to turn that additional exploration spending into oil, Molchanov said.
    "If someone starts drilling oil wells today, the increased supply might be 6 months, 12 months, even years away," he said.
    When asked about production targets for 2022 during a January earnings call, ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods responded, "The primary objectives we've had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we're producing."

BUT BUT BIDEN... BIDEN.. RIGHT GUYS!! GUYS?

Not to mention other factors limiting an increase in production, Right from the Oil companies mouths
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/08/oil-...s-oxy-ceo.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/02/energ...ion/index.html

several issues are stopping these companies from scaling up production.
    Like many industries during the pandemic, oil producers are struggling with a shortage of workers. They're also having trouble sourcing some of the equipment they would need to ramp up production, including pipes and specialized sand used in fracking to extract shale oil.
    "They can't find people, and can't find equipment," said Robert McNally, president of consulting firm Rapidan Energy Group. "It's not like they're available at a premium price. They're just not available."

UMM, biden....?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    1> Not a supporter of Biden. Pretty damned critical, actually.
    2> "Climate control" is air conditioning for a vehicle or building. You really should know what terms mean before using them.
    3> No, but if those barrels of oil are being sold and used in the USA, the USA is the market responsible for the extraction and consumption of that resource, and whinging about the point of extraction is intentionally deflecting from the real issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Majority of Americans back Biden’s Russia oil ban including 72% of Trump voters

Man, how embarrassing is it to be in the minority, even among people who want to be energy independent and be tough on Russia? Well, that's what Trump said, at least, I admit it's possible his supporters lied when they said that mattered.

That's from a poll from the WSJ, who I understand is right-leaning and therefore something Trump supporters would follow.