Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/b...ettlement.html

It's baby steps, but another $6B in student loan forgiveness has been issued for students who were defrauded by their schools. This covers roughly 200,000 people.
    Honestly, I hate this shit.

I was someone who got sucked into a scam school when I was young and naïve. Way before this stuff really became public knowledge.

I attended a school where they claimed 95%+ placement rates post graduation into high paying fields in the tech industry.

I had one person in my class and the school considered his employment obligations fulfilled when he got a job at geek squad while still attending school.

By the time I realized it was a scam (happened very quickly) I was on the hook for almost the full amount of the loan.

When the school I went to started to get scrutinized by my states department of education after a lot of complaints, they shut down.

Investigators tried to reach the school but their numbers had been disconnected and the building was vacated.

The company that owned the schools had rebranded (original company dissolved and a new company created, same owners), and then they opened a new school.

They pulled the same shit a few years later and now they run some sort of DevCodeCamp bullshit.

At the end of the day, the government NEEDS to go after the lenders.

The only way these schools stop is when people are in jail or the supply of money is cut off.

By only just forgiving these loans, they're not attacking the real problem and it pisses me off.

Fuck Sallie Mae and Fuck Navient.

I've still got $7,000 to pay. My original loan amount was $25k. I've paid a total of $47k over the life of the loan.

The real scam is to believe that Sallie Mae and Navient aren't complicit in this shit. The school took their $25k and ran.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's baby steps, but another $6B in student loan forgiveness has been issued for students who were defrauded by their schools.
    It shouldn't take executive action to forgive loans that were fraudulent. In context it's still welcome, but it's along the lines of "we cured some of the cancer patients".

Also, @fwc577 I've heard that story before in my line of work. It sucks, every time. I hear it less now that I work for a state school with low tuition, but I know it exists and it shouldn't. I'm sorry you got stuck with the bill and it should never have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Oh, they exist.

They just have names like "Hillary Clinton", "Joe Biden", and "Nancy Pelosi".
    I was being diplomatic and calling them "centrists." But...yeah; in a country that hadn't had its entire discourse window forcibly dragged to the right, they would be considered conservatives, because that wouldn't have been redefined as "reactionary extremist who refuses to compromise with anyone who disagrees with them."

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    really, what have any of these people done while in office to deserve any sort of benefit of doubt as to what they really intend to do.

seriously, why are we obligated to heap praise upon Biden and the Democrats when they have yet to do anything to alleviate the suffering of their voter base. this simply comes off as "we cannot fail you, you, however can fail us", coming from a fucking political party of all things....
    They've mostly refrained from actively contributing to said suffering in recent decades. Still: it's really disappointing that the bar is so low as to make that the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The smart way to handle the "great resignation" would be a $22/hour minimum wage. Given that's what the old $15/hour suggestion would be today if it had kept up with inflation.

Set the floor at a basic minimum living wage. People will go back to work if paying them is remunerative enough to be worth it. This is a hole corporate America has dug for itself through its own abusive action.
    Hell, where I'm living, $22/hr would barely be a minimum living wage. And on top of that, we've still got people arguing that "the minimum wage is for kids just working to get experience" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I can't believe we've reached the point in Biden Derangement Syndrome that you're obsessed with a dude on a bike.
    Normally, I hate "derangement syndrome" rhetoric. I hated it when it was applied to irrational hatred of Pres. Obama (that was ableism with a side of legitimization), hated it even more when it was applied to every criticism of the former guy (ableism with a side of hypocrisy), and still hate it when it's about Biden (not just ableism and legitimization, but minimalization). Even so: the bad-faith scrambling has gone beyond all reason.

And, anyway: why the fuck was forgiveness of fraudulent student loans ever in question?
    Last edited by Dacia Ultan; 2022-06-25 at 07:02 PM.

A Kentucky Senior federal judge is stepping down, which paves the way for President Biden to nominate the Republican, anti-abortion, Federalist Society judge the White House has signaled they plan to put in.

I'm just tired.

1. Biden agreed to name Chad Meredith, an anti-abortion advocate, to a federal court in Kentucky in exchange for McConnell's promise that he would stop blocking Democrats' picks for U.S. Attorney in Kentucky.

Joe Biden can bleep off.

So let's count the ways why it's getting so hard to stay on this boat. 1) McConnell would never do this if on the other foot. Well mind you a Republican President giving this same deal to Schumer. Schumer would never even ask or strike deal. 2) Great timing. With Roe v Wad going down plus SCOTUS going buck wild, showing you will allow a conservative judge is unbelievable.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The one-year anniversary is today for the Biden administration cheerily announcing that summer barbecues would be 16 cents cheaper thanks to him. https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/statu...09115333234691
    Of course, it was also mocked then for ignoring rising meat prices and gas prices at the time (a seven year high, but it seems kind of quaint now).

This year, their cited agency is saying cookouts with be up $10.
    https://www.fb.org/newsroom/cost-of-...ed-to-year-ago

It's tough to make claims that any good news is due to administration success (or at least spinning the good news), and bad news is from circumstances outside of their control. Eat up, everyone.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    The one-year anniversary is today for the Biden administration cheerily announcing that summer barbecues would be 16 cents cheaper thanks to him. https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/statu...09115333234691
    Of course, it was also mocked then for ignoring rising meat prices and gas prices at the time (a seven year high, but it seems kind of quaint now).

This year, their cited agency is saying cookouts with be up $10.
    https://www.fb.org/newsroom/cost-of-...ed-to-year-ago

It's tough to make claims that any good news is due to administration success (or at least spinning the good news), and bad news is from circumstances outside of their control. Eat up, everyone.

Trump’s best friend in the world Putin decided to invade Ukraine, the country trump tried to blackmail, which has set the global economy in quite a bit of a tiff.

But keep on complaining about slightly more expensive hamburgers.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Eat up, everyone.
    yes, certainly eat up the fact that anything Biden and the Dems could do to address this would not in anyway be supported by people like you. seriously, we're not as stupid as you think we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    A Kentucky Senior federal judge is stepping down, which paves the way for President Biden to nominate the Republican, anti-abortion, Federalist Society judge the White House has signaled they plan to put in.

I'm just tired.

1. Biden agreed to name Chad Meredith, an anti-abortion advocate, to a federal court in Kentucky in exchange for McConnell's promise that he would stop blocking Democrats' picks for U.S. Attorney in Kentucky.

Joe Biden can bleep off.

So let's count the ways why it's getting so hard to stay on this boat. 1) McConnell would never do this if on the other foot. Well mind you a Republican President giving this same deal to Schumer. Schumer would never even ask or strike deal. 2) Great timing. With Roe v Wad going down plus SCOTUS going buck wild, showing you will allow a conservative judge is unbelievable.
    Are you fucking kidding me... He knows McConnell won't honor any agreement unless he had no choice and will stab him in the back the moment he can. The man had no issues damaging us as a nation and getting people killed for his own gain while lying about it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Trump’s best friend in the world Putin decided to invade Ukraine, the country trump tried to blackmail, which has set the global economy in quite a bit of a tiff.

But keep on complaining about slightly more expensive hamburgers.
    Time travelin' Putin going about ramping inflation up well before he readied himself for invasion. You should do some traveling yourself. Back to when Biden was in the primaries, declaring animosity towards oil drilling and fracking, and telling whoever would listen that he's going to put a stop to it. Trump could dream of helping Putin so effectively as Biden did in rising fuel prices, and the following effects on food production and transit.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Time travelin' Putin going about ramping inflation up well before he readied himself for invasion. You should do some traveling yourself. Back to when Biden was in the primaries, declaring animosity towards oil drilling and fracking, and telling whoever would listen that he's going to put a stop to it. Trump could dream of helping Putin so effectively as Biden did in rising fuel prices, and the following effects on food production and transit.
    Brilliant! Another spoon fed talking point from your GQP masters - good job! Get that uninformed, not-understood-by-you information out and spewed!

4 reasons high gas prices aren’t Joe Biden’s fault

Biden did in rising fuel prices, and the following effects on food production and transit.
    Biden caused gas prices around the world to rise? Well shit, Trump was right, Biden is stronger than God. You know what you said is insanity, right?

Didn't see you bitch like this when Trump did a trade war and shit slowly went up then.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    What should he be doing to help US gas prices that he hasn't already done?
    nothing! I expect absolutely nothing from these people, and neither should you. we're all on our own.

it's just hilarious seeing the president of the US with his thumb shoved right up his ass trying to tell oil companies like Exxon Mobil to drop it's prices.

nothing! I expect absolutely nothing from these people, and neither should you. we're all on our own.

it's just hilarious seeing the president of the US with his thumb shoved right up his ass trying to tell oil companies like Exxon Mobil to drop it's prices.
    I'm all for being pissed at Democrats and all, but fuckin POTUS doesn't have any power to change the price of gas. Neither does the legislature.

Let's be mad at them over shit that's actually in their control, eh? Like their continued inability to move Manchin or Sinema on the filibuster so they can get literally anything done.

I'm all for being pissed at Democrats and all, but fuckin POTUS doesn't have any power to change the price of gas. Neither does the legislature.

Let's be mad at them over shit that's actually in their control, eh? Like their continued inability to move Manchin or Sinema on the filibuster so they can get literally anything done.
    nah, we took our pot shots at Trump, I don't see any reason to treat Brandon any different.

get this thought out of your head that the Dems are going to do anything. they won't. they didn't do shit when the greatest soft ball for fundraising and galvanizing voters came floating over the pitch. they are not going to do jack shit about this, or anything! come back 2 years from now and tell me I'm wrong.

the only elected Democrat who has shown any spine at all is the one ya'll love to throw under the bus whenever it's politically convenient.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-07-02 at 07:15 PM.

Genuinely, what do you actually think he should do, then? You seem to think he can do something right now to drop gas prices across the US, what is it?
    if I said what wanted to say what I think Brandon should to to oil company execs the FBI would be knocking on my door.

You actually have no real solution. Cool.
    no real solution you have the guts or will power to meet out. you must still be in a really comfortable position in your life to have that attitude.

and yeah, I'm mad, if you're not mad then something is wrong with you.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-07-02 at 06:59 PM.

oh? so that explains why you just want to be smug and pretend you actually have something to contribute, pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    no real solution you have the guts or will power to meet out. you must still be in a really comfortable position in your life to have that attitude.

and yeah, I'm mad, if you're not mad then something is wrong with you.
    So again to reiterate, you don’t have any actual solutions for solving the problem, you just want to be angry at Biden for… uh, apparently not wholesale threatening people with potentially illegal things.

Funny, the “pin things on Biden for things he has little to no control over” has been the GOP’s schtick for Biden’s entire presidency, while the “threaten people who don’t do what you want with potentially illegal things“ was Trump’s schtick for HIS entire presidency.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So again to reiterate, you don’t have any actual solutions for solving the problem, you just want to be angry at Biden for… uh, apparently not wholesale threatening people with potentially illegal things.

Funny, the “pin things on Biden for things he has little to no control over” has been the GOP’s schtick for Biden’s entire presidency, while the “threaten people who don’t do what you want with potentially illegal things“ was Trump’s schtick for HIS entire presidency.
    okay, go ahead and call me a secret Trump supporter, it sure is easier than reckoning with the fact violence is already being doled out by the state against average people. again, the libs of this forum cannot function outside of their comfort zone they have made for themselves.

which is why none of you will ever meet the moment when it matters.