Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    And that is where you are wrong. The incumbency bonus always applies. Everything else you said is true, but if he weren't an incumbent, his chances would be considerably worse.
    That's an assumption not a fact as incumbents have lost before, there's no way to know how a new candidate with Biden's blessing would have done since we are all dealing in hypothetical. This is politics situations vary and it's not like the old assumptions work anymore especially after Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Uh huh. Clutch pearls harder.
    Now this is just sad, if you are trying to be witty you could at least google to use the right terms in my case you could say cry (QQ) more Biden is it accept it or have a intellectual retort and add that in order to be smart and witty. This is neither take note for next time or get angry and ignore it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    There's polls our there showing numerous democrats beating trump in a hypothetical face off. In fact, it's possible biden might have the lowest chance against trump.
    I like the guy, but like everyone else I just can't figure out why he won't pass the riens over to a younger protégé and secure a dem victory.
    So why aren't these people beating biden? You do understand people are voting for him not those other people right?

It's almost like there is a process for democrats to choose who they would like to run.....
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Oh good, the "Biden old" bullshit is back. I see even our resident IDF supporter managed to heave himself out of the Israel thread long enough to chime in.

Yep, Biden's old. Does he have dementia? Not as far as I can tell, nope. I'm not an expert, but I've watched two grandparents go through it and Biden seems pretty fucking lucid and with it, so until he's diagnosed by an actual doctor and not just very concerned online people, I'm going to go with he's fine, just older.

Would I rather there was someone else running? Sure. But Biden won the primaries in 2020 and he's winning them now, so he's the one most people seem to want. And I'll gladly have another 4 years of Biden's administration quietly getting shit done rather than 4 years of a Trump admin smash and grab.

They aren't running. Yet. Out of loyalty to party and Biden I imagine.
    I'm sure we will see Gavin Newsom on the ticket by next cycle through.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    They aren't running. Yet. Out of loyalty to party and Biden I imagine.
    I'm sure we will see Gavin Newsom on the ticket by next cycle through.
    Party loyalty would be to put the best candidate possible forward. If they are "polling" as well as you say, it's their fault and their fault alone for not running.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    And that is where you are wrong. The incumbency bonus always applies. Everything else you said is true, but if he weren't an incumbent, his chances would be considerably worse.
    Wasn't Trump the incumbent in 2020? Did that work out for him? What about Bush I?

Incumbency is not ironclad.
    He/Him

I still fancy the thought of Tammy Duckworth running.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Would I rather there was someone else running? Sure. But Biden won the primaries in 2020 and he's winning them now, so he's the one most people seem to want. And I'll gladly have another 4 years of Biden's administration quietly getting shit done rather than 4 years of a Trump admin smash and grab.
    But we don't have to convince Benggaul who's in-tune with the reality of politics to vote for good 'ole Joe Biden, do we? We have to convince Bob Six-Pack American who hears daily about dementia-riddled Grampa Joe who can't remember that the leader of Egypt isn't from Mexico in a speech designed to show that he doesn't forget things.
    He/Him

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Wasn't Trump the incumbent in 2020? Did that work out for him? What about Bush I?

For Democrats it's been pretty solid for decades. For the GOP not so much lately.

I think Carter was the last Dem president not to win a second term. The GOP lost with Trump and Bush senior (and before that...Ford?)
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2024-02-09 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    For Democrats it's been pretty solid for decades. For the GOP not so much lately.

I think Carter was the last Dem president not to win a second term. The GOP lost with Trump and Bush senior (and before that...Ford?)
    I don't think any one of us can predict the American electorate, on paper a twice impeached president with over 90 indictments who tried to overthrow democracy and told in court he is a rapist should have no shot at winning but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I still fancy the thought of Tammy Duckworth running.
    Part of me wants that to happen just so we can get an election cycle of Republicans repeatedly demanding she "stand up" for XYZ and having to apologize because they keep forgetting she lost her legs while serving the country (and still serves).

Because it's happened before. Multiple times rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I don't think any one of us can predict the American electorate, on paper a twice impeached president with over 90 indictments who tried to overthrow democracy and told in court he is a rapist should have no shot at winning but here we are.
    Oh I agree. I'm just saying in general incumbency has been a pretty solid boost.

- - - Updated - - -

But we don't have to convince Benggaul who's in-tune with the reality of politics to vote for good 'ole Joe Biden, do we? We have to convince Bob Six-Pack American who hears daily about dementia-riddled Grampa Joe who can't remember that the leader of Egypt isn't from Mexico in a speech designed to show that he doesn't forget things.
    Please. There are no undecided voters to convince. With how polarized American politics has become everyone who is going to vote has known since last year who they were going to vote for. Either Biden or whomever wins the GOP primaries (in all likelihood Trump). Anyone claiming they're "undecided" is just too embarrassed to state who they're voting for publicly. The only thing that may sway some voters is whether or not Trump is actually convicted--and even then that's a pretty heavily-laden "may".

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

You're misreading what I'm saying. I never said "incumbent = win", I said "incumbent = advantage". Imagine it as a buff to their gearscore. It doesn't mean they'll beat the raid, but it definitely helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Y’all really out here wondering why it’s mainly old rich people in politics when there is a very simple explanation.

Running for office is expensive. Challenging an established incumbent on a reform platform is even more so.

It’s the electoral system, stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yes Edge, it is copium. Reading this thread over the last year was eerily close to reading some repub subreddits slurping over Trump's tiny peepee. The amount of "totally fine" excuses after yet another stupid shit from Biden was amazing and everything was downplayed and excused as repub pathetic attempts to smear Biden.
    FFS, he screwed up even the news briefing meant to prove the opposite.

Dementia Grandpa vs Orange Racist...

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Both men could be dead in the next 4 years just because of their age.

That alone to me suggests "Hey, maybe we shouldn't be electing men in their late 70s and 80s."
    This. And no, it is not "discrimination".
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Yes Edge, it is copium. Reading this thread over the last year was eerily close to reading some repub subreddits slurping over Trump's tiny peepee. The amount of "totally fine" excuses after yet another stupid shit from Biden was amazing and everything was downplayed and excused as repub pathetic attempts to smear Biden.

It is, however, incredibly insulting to actual dementia sufferers to assume someone has dementia based on your pop culture diagnosis of his speech patterns.

Biden’s not going to hear you make fun of his speech impediment, but your friends and family who have them certainly will hear you.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2024-02-09 at 06:35 PM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If you have to insist on saying Biden has dimentia, then you better have to say the same about Trump who fucks up way more often than Biden

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It is, however, incredibly insulting to actual dementia sufferers to assume someone has dementia based on your pop culture diagnosis of his speech patterns.

Biden’s not going to hear you make fun of his speech impediment, but your friends and family who have them certainly will hear you.
    Someone somewhere is always offended or insulted or hurt. There isn't a single topic that cannot be laughed about, get over it.
    Speech patterns, lol, what does speech paterns have to do with regularly mentioning wrong people and places?

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    If you have to insist on saying Biden has dimentia, then you better have to say the same about Trump who fucks up way more often than Biden
    "But but Trump, he is worse!!!"
    Basically what I was talking about. Jesus christ... I guess me making fun about repubs and Tramps tiny tralalaa wasn't hint enough, or calling him Orange Racist. I could also call him Orange Retard, but I am not sure if that is against rules...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone somewhere is always offended or insulted or hurt. There isn't a single topic that cannot be laughed about, get over it.
    Pretty brave of you to admit you're just being pointlessly cruel, but it does explain an awful lot about your political views.

Speech patterns, lol, what does speech paterns have to do with regularly mentioning wrong people and places?
    "What does a pattern of gaffes in a person with a well-known history of speech impediments have to do with speech patterns?" Are you fucking serious?

Dementia is a cognitive disorder; what is ultimately a harmless difficulty in communicating does not automatically imply a cognitive disorder or unfitness for a position. Saying it does is effectively a blanket commentary on the "mental fitness" of people with speech impediments.

"But it's obvious--" No it isn't. You're neither a doctor nor privy to his private conduct in such a way that would enable to you make such a diagnosis.

"It's just a joke--" To you, maybe. Biden doesn't see you being a cunt about speech impediments, but the people in your community do.

There are countless legitimate reasons to be critical of Biden, and absolutely no legitimate reason to reinforce social stigmas against disability by being a jackass about speech impediments. I'd say check yourself but you're probably just going to get huffy that someone doesn't find memeing about dementia funny so whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your point is that a lot of Americans are stupid and gullible and demonstrate daily that propaganda and bullshit are very effective tools for misleading idiots, sure.

The people lying about Biden are gonna lie about whoever the candidate is. It doesn't matter whether there's anything behind the lies, just whether the idiots will gobble them down without engaging their brains, like the good mindless sheep they prove themselves to be.