Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Twitch gone for Mods update - Good trusty alternatives?

Now that Twitch officially does not support mods, what are good alternatives? Twitch says to go to Overwolf, but it has a sketchy reputation from what I was able to read online...

Any recommendations ?

Curseforge on overwolf. Don't listen to spergs, overwolf is ok, and if you wear tinfoil hat, just disable all aggreements on gathering your useless data.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluna View Post
    Now that Twitch officially does not support mods, what are good alternatives? Twitch says to go to Overwolf, but it has a sketchy reputation from what I was able to read online...

Any recommendations ?
    Agreed with kaminaris.
    Curseforge on overwolf is completly fine.
    Works like a charm and has a "update all" button. All i need.

Any recommendations ?
    WoWup. Light, no ads, does what you need.

Going with Curseforge on Overwolf myself.

Not sure how they're "sketchy", and not sure I care. We have people calling the Earth flat and vaccines "anti-science" in this post-fact world of ours.

Ajour is even better than WoWup and doesn't trigger Windows security like WoWup does.

I'm using Cursebreaker, no interface but that doesn't bother me. Otherwise WoWup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Going with Curseforge on Overwolf myself.

Not sure how they're "sketchy", and not sure I care. We have people calling the Earth flat and vaccines "anti-science" in this post-fact world of ours.
    Thank you for your suggestion. However I am not sure to grasp what is your point about this and anti-science... Are you comparing people who checks how their data is used for anti-science people? That's quite a stretch my friend.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Any recommendations ?
    I remember when people used to say the same thing about Curse. Oh how times have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your suggestion. However I am not sure to grasp what is your point about this and anti-science... Are you comparing people who checks how their data is used for anti-science people? That's quite a stretch my friend.
    They DON'T check. That is his point. They hear a rumor and run with it.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Personally I don't use overwolf but it's funny how people pretend that twitch and amazon would be any better than overwolf. They 100% collect your personal info like all the other tech giants.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Wowup.io is better.
    If you were ok with Twitch - then curseforge is literally just the mods app from twitch taken out and recoloured

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

It also forces you to run the separate Overwolf app every time which has a bunch of privacy-concerning stuff enabled by default. You can of course disable those things, but most people won't know to do that.

I'm much happier with WowUp and suggest everybody switch. It's open-source and works great. At least it does now, I imagine Overwolf/Curse/WowI/etc will break it at some point as it doesn't show their ads.

The real answer is for addon authors to host their stuff on github. It isn't 2006, bandwidth and storage are cheap as hell and github gives it away for free. Then you just need a website indexing all the various addons for discovery, which again can be hosted for free somewhere like github or a wiki.

Ajour also seems fine, although I haven't evaluated it myself.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2020-12-01 at 12:03 AM.

People have knee-jerk reactions rather than finding out for themselves.

That's why we have people thinking the planet is flat in 2020, or that vaccines cause autism.
    I simply disabled the features I didn't want. Done.

My reason for not going WowUp is that I 100% expect it to be gone before too long. I don't run these apps in the background when I'm not updating mods, but if I did, I'd go WowUp. Maybe. Curseforge runs just fine during the time that I do have it up.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-12-01 at 12:14 AM.

Curseforge. It's the same thing as Twitch except without the Twitch bloat, and with some of the ad revenue going to authors instead of Jeff Bezos.

That's a fair stance for sure.

We'll see. They may not care and let wowup/ajour/cursebreaker continue, or it may trigger an arms race, or (as happened 10+ years ago) they may successfully kill them. Unlike 2008 the bandwidth cost is basically negligible now so it won't appreciably hurt their bottom line, and anyone who goes to the trouble to use WowUp or whatever clearly is going to block their ads anyway. May not be worth their time to fight us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I decided to use minion, someone said something good about it here and i like it although it doesn't have some addons that i used to use via twitch it has most so it'll work

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Ajour, I like it a lot.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Most addons are still hosted on Curse so MMO minion isn't a great choice.