Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Leveling is fine they just need to adjust some of it. Bonus objectives need to be increased for percentage gained for them. 1% for 1 mob is tedious and mind numbing. Imo should be something like to 4-5% for a mob and objects 8%. Just something to speed it up.

I've found leveling boring throughout all of WoW (as in alt leveling to get the to same endgame status as the main). SL so far does it the best out of all the expansions I played. My only critic is that threads of fate should be noticeably faster than the story campaign.
    Last edited by kail; 2020-12-04 at 06:45 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I'll boil it down. You started off your argument by asserting that "all content is engaging" which is clearly something that many people would disagree with. Then you based the rest of your point on that arbitrary assertion, meaning it's a completely useless argument based on nothing other than you random asserting the thing that is really the main point of contention here.
    You sure used a lot of words to explain nothing and even then you failed at it..
    Good job?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I have previously said. I have 10 time more fun killing level 2 troggs over and over again than I do while questing in SL.

Absolute most boring questing ever in history of WoW.

For someone who does not like to do a 5 minute weekly quest to progress the story as you said in your other whiny thread, I could imagine that doing a whole story walkthrough is not your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomfellow View Post
    As I have previously said. I have 10 time more fun killing level 2 troggs over and over again than I do while questing in SL.

Absolute most boring questing ever in history of WoW.
    Simple things for simple minds.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Simple things for simple minds.
    There is absolutely nothing complex about leveling in SL. If anything, the whole storyline guided system where you can't fall off rails is extremely easy to design. So if anything, SL is actually the "Simple things for simple minds."

BC was good
    Wotlk was good
    Legion was good
    Hell even pandaria was pretty nice
    SL is not (right there with cataclysm and draenor)

There is absolutely nothing complex about leveling in SL. If anything, the whole storyline guided system where you can't fall off rails is extremely easy to design. So if anything, SL is actually the "Simple things for simple minds."

BC was good
    Wotlk was good
    Legion was good
    That's odd to read...
    The only thing that differs between legion's leveling experience and SL leveling experience is that the former allowed to pick the order of zones.
    Both are pretty much: a story-line on rails with side-attractions. I'd wager SL actually has more side-quests/stories.

10+ Year Old Account

BC was good
    Wotlk was good
    Legion was good
    I liked Cataclysm and Draenor, hated Legion and Bfa. Shadowlands seems nice so far. My priest is currently stuck in Ardenweld because of computer issues that have nothing to do with World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a bit too much on rails for my liking and I didn't like Bastion but the rest was awesome.

I thought people liked Draenor leveling.

The 4 continent model to many is garbage. You reset every time you are finished with one continent. Many people i know feel like they keep resetting to Oribos, which sparks that frustration of not having done anything meaningful. The Oribos reset is more a punishment than advance in the sense of story and game progression.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Leveling is as usual, fun on first time, likely will become a chore few months from now.

And threads like this are just sad, full of people that don't even know what to whine about, so just say everything is trash. Community overall love SL right now, even if that's because honeymoon phase.

Of course. WoW leveling has been insanely boring since vanilla, I have no idea why anyone thinks it would be exciting now all of a sudden.

Luckily though leveling is an insanely small part of the game, going from 50-60 takes around 8-9 hours, and under 7 for alts, so it's at least far better than previous expansions where leveling took 10+ hours even for alts but was still equally as boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    First leveling experience was very fun! But leveling alts with the optional approach should get some improvements done to make it more fun. Like increasing world quest and bonus objective experience and allowing to do Torghast to get exp.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Besides the revendreth-slog at the end (which I just had already seen in beta - while already having reached 60 in Ardenweald on live - and is therefore a problem more exclusive to me) I don't see how leveling in SL is that much worse than any other expansion. *).

I get that some people might dislike zones and therefore don't want to bother with them, and I agree that the fixed order was a mistake because of it, but at the end of the day it's like 4-5 hours once at most and you only have to do this one single time. Some people on this forum have probably spend more time bitching how much they hate zone x and how much it threatens their masculinity, they could have finished it twice over by now.

*) Actually scrap that, BC leveling is so awful, if you have done it recently and polished the rose-tint of your nostalgia goggles you probably know how awful the questing structure of constant back and forth was in the day.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-12-04 at 10:29 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling can be an end in itself. There are tabletop RPG games where there is no endgame as such. For some years now leveling has been downgraded to be only a device to get you to endgame. As such that's a different purpose than providing an immersive story-based experience.

I have long presumed that the top minds on the WoW team viewed leveling as something to be gotten through. This expansion only further confirms that. I think it's a problem but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Blizzard over the years has repeatedly signaled that the only important things in the game are found after leveling has completed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Leveling can be an end in itself. There are tabletop RPG games where there is no endgame as such. For some years now leveling has been downgraded to be only a device to get you to endgame. As such that's a different purpose than providing an immersive story-based experience.

I have long presumed that the top minds on the WoW team viewed leveling as something to be gotten through. This expansion only further confirms that. I think it's a problem but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Blizzard over the years has repeatedly signaled that the only important things in the game are found after leveling has completed.
    I think Blizzard itself is in two minds about it. They certainly wouldn't have to bother with so much leveling just for the sake of it, so there have to be some voices that either think it's absolutely needed for the success or they themselves want it as means to express the story they want to tell.

What I do think has reached it's last legs though is the concept of levels. With this expansion the levels from 50 to 60 felt utterly meaningless. They might as well have not existed. In fact the game would have probably been better if we had just had the option to treat dungeons etc right from the start as endgame and experience the story in our "free time". Of course that would have made their bullshit RPG arguments from beta look even more ridiculous, but that's for another topic.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

That has been the case since tbc.

I dont know why people keep acting as if wows leveling is relevant content or should be.

Wow is alive because of its endgame.

Having slow leveling has literally killed off mmo's in recent years because thats not what people want from them anymore.

Same with ARPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I decided, that gold is pointless anyway, if I wouldn't play this game, so I decided to spend it on tokens and buy SL and month of sub for them. Just because this game doesn't have endgame trial, so it's "buy to try" thing.

And first thing I've noticed - leveling is boring. Not because it's easy. It should be easy. This happens, when Blizzard focus too much on story and forget about fun. It just doesn't bring such feeling of excitement, as Cata or WOD leveling. I've been playing for 3 days, but I'm just level 55 and I've just started Maldraxxsus. And I've already got tired of leveling after Bastion. Yeah, we can skip it on alts. But leveling is usually major part of content for me, so I like, when it's replayable. Skipping it will remove big part of content from me. I just hope, that endgame will be better.

I can't say, what is wrong with it. Overall it's idea is understandable. To show you Covenants, so you would be able to make your choice. I understand, that back in old Vanilla-WotLK times leveling was even slower. It was like journey. Reaching max level was really like a festival. That's, why devs were sending fireworks to you to celebrate it. But something has changed in leveling process since Legion. It started to be way too "serious" and "dry". It's focused on story too much. And what makes content replayable? Yeah, if you already know that story, it's not interesting for you to see it again, again and again. And it's not compensated by other factors, such as fun or feel of progression.

Overall I feel, that what I do - isn't meaningful. I already know, what Covenant my characters will join. And therefore this "introduction" isn't interesting for me. It's just some sort of time gating before doing actual Covenant content. Blizzard just don't make leveling as some sort of standalone content, that is meaningful by itself. It's about story and story is unfortunately one-time thing.

In this case WOD leveling was the best. You were working towards progression of your Garrison back then. Dunno why, but it was bringing (and still brings) the biggest satisfaction feeling and excitement to me. Because it's some sort of per-character progression, that is still interesting even after completing it once. SL leveling is just...meh? Something happens. I do something. Kill some mobs. Collect some trash. Help somebody. But for what? I won't chose Maldraxxus on this character anyway. Why should I know anything about it? Why should I help somebody?
    What if you're just tired of the game, had it enough of it now - overplayed it?

It's made for a different audience now, maybe it's just not for you anymore I'm just saying maybe the issue is you, not the game.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    I think the main story line is really good. Ardenweald was pretty terrible though.

I basically did full Loremaster when I leveled my main, kind of looking forward just doing main story and ignoring everything else on my alts.

However, I still don't know why Blizzard insist on forcing us to endlessly repeat crap like the Maw intro, Neck and Cloak crap in BFA.
    Haven't managed to will myself to pull any alt through it yet.
    Really nice to see complete different perception here.
    I was close to quitting after Bastion and Maldraxxus was eben worse. I think I never played more boring zones. But Ardenweald saved the xpac for me.
    Best zone by far.
    Revendreth was cool too, but you know... We knew how that story would turn out front the beginning, so that took away a lot of charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    You sure used a lot of words to explain nothing and even then you failed at it..
    Good job?
    A circular argument is a reasoning in which you use the conclusion as the premise, hence making the entire reasoning pointless.
    Something like : "I am always right, so everyone who disagrees is wrong. As everyone who disagree is wrong, then I'm always right."
    The first argument "proves" the second, which in return "proves the first" - so they form a "circle", hence the "circular argument".

Is it clearer ?