Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Torghast anti-AFK debuffs - are they too much?

Granted, I haven't had experience with all of them yet, but the one that painfully sticks out so far is Eye of Skoldus which periodically spawns 2 tanky adds whenever you are out of combat. Coming from the perspective of an arcane mage these feel especially aggravating, since I already have significant downtime inbetween pulls needing to constantly regenerate depleted mana, and having to also deal with these during those periods just adds even more downtime on top of what is already quite a lengthy run.

Now, this issue in itself isn't the end of the world and feels manageable at worst. But my main overarching problem here is that it feels like Blizzard designed this to force the player to sit glued to their screen for their entire Torghast run, which in my case lasts well over an hour. That's just asking for too much of a commitment if you ask me. What if you need to go to the bathroom, or someone's at the door, or something else that demands your attention IRL? By that time the adds may well have spawned and ruined your entire run by the time you get back. It's nothing like raids where boss encounters last for 5-10 minutes tops and then giving you some breathing room to be flexible outside those windows. AFAIK in Torghast you get one single chance for a reprieve which is about halway through with the broker NPC's aura protecting you against the debuffs. I really think there needs to be more mechanisms to let you take a break on your own terms.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are ways around it, pull a mawrat and let it beat on you while you afk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    But my main overarching problem here is that it feels like Blizzard designed this to force the player to sit glued to their screen for their entire Torghast run, which in my case lasts well over an hour.
    Floors 3 and 6 (in current version) can't spawn the adds at all. So you basically have to go through 2 floors non-stop. Also, the debuff says "In combat" so you can pull just a mawrat and stay in combat until you kill it. So for a mage you could use spellsteal to "aggro" it. I think you might be able to avoid the debuff as soon as you enter a new floor due to a "stealthy like" buff you get, but can't remember for sure.

With that said, I really hate the debuff mainly because I know from time to time when I'm in a run something might come up that I need to step away from that I wasn't expecting. I also have to take a minute or two break from time to time for different health reasons so it's slightly frustrating and I know there are probably a good amount of players in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    There are ways around it, pull a mawrat and let it beat on you while you afk.
    Not sure if this works for all classes. My monk tank (who dodges them a lot) gets the adds spawned while being in combat with the rats.

At the start of each floor check for a buff, it should cancel the "anti-afk debuff" till you move a bit.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's way too much.

it should work like in the maw... they attack when you enter combat instead.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

It's annoying, and in some cases very frustrating. Like on my mage I have to eat after basically every pull, which just ends up with me having dogs spawn to kill me and further add to the need to eat. That said, it felt like they were spawning less aggressively(never had them spawn immediately after leaving combat) when I did it on my priest today, so maybe they changed it.
    But yeah, just like most things in Torghast, it's annoying/frustrating rather than difficult.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-12-12 at 07:18 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Having a hard time in Torghast as a mage but I have to say I actually like that hunted debuff when i'm out of combat cause it's so easy to counter for mage. Pull mawrat sheep it.
    On the few times I have to eat I can just time the ambush, kill em eat and repeat from step 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Floors 3 and 6 (in current version) can't spawn the adds at all.
    This may only be true if you're in vendor bubble, because I've seen adds spawn right in front of boss.

It's retarded imo ... killed a set of spawns .. went to take a leak for 2 minutes .. found myself dead ... good feature with so much purpose.

I'd like it a lot better without the anti afk stuff. If I clear a section, I should be able to go take a piss without problem. Especially when the thing takes an hour minimum and can easily go to 2 hours with bad anima powers.

It's not an anti-AFK debuff. It's a debuff.

The fire one from week one was the worst so far. With the fire one you loose 1% HP every 10 seconds and it stacks with every floor except the first broker floor so while fighting the last boss you loose 5% HP every 10 seconds. They did add like 5 more anima powers to counter it by giving you heals but in my opinion it's too much especially for caster that don't have good selfheal like a mage. In combination with the water change that you regen more mana after eating for at least 10 seconds you get very little mana, loose 1-5% HP and have to eat again to actually get to full HP and mana.

With more gear and more permanent Torghast upgrades from Venari it will be a smaller problem but I still think it's too much. For me the fun of the higher layers is the planing of the run. Try to sneak past mobs to get to an easier pack, planing which mobs to pull, seeing which mobs are on the floor and which anima powers may be good to kill packs and balancing anima powers to clear enough of the floors to get a decend amount of phantasma and some anima powers, while still maintaining your survivability and single target damage to kill the boss at the end of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Floors 3 and 6 (in current version) can't spawn the adds at all.
    Wrong! at least floor 6 DOES spawn those adds if you iddle outside the vendor bubble or try to eat outside the buff bubble

I am just not finding Torghast fun at all. It takes way too long, it all looks the same and I would rather be out in the world doing something else. I thought the place was garbo in beta and it is still garbo on live.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    Wrong! at least floor 6 DOES spawn those adds if you iddle outside the vendor bubble or try to eat outside the buff bubble
    Wrong, this has been fixed already.
    "Eye of Skoldus and Fracturing Forces no longer spawn assassins on boss floors."

--
    At the entrance of each floor you get a stealth-buff, which negates those debuffs.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    First off I believe only three of the towers have measures that prevent you from just AFKing in the middle of no where (fire, dogs, and assassin towers). The other towers have no such mechanic, and you can freely AFK anywhere you want (well kind of, one of the towers this week you wouldn't want to AFK out in the open when angels periodically spawn and knock you back) . Secondly, floors 3 and 6 were changed to at least not have the mobs spawn on them as of recently, eliminating another 2 of the tower types from having "anti-afk" measures. So basically you can't really AFK on the fire one in any of the above circumstances, or you might die if you don't have enough natural regeneration. Lastly, I'm fairly certain at the start of each floor there is a suppression bubble the nullifies all of these "anti-afk" debuffs while you're around the entrance of the floor. So if you need to AFK you can literally afk at the start of each floor on any of the tower types, anywhere on three of the tower types, and anytime on floor 3 and 6 on five of the tower types.

This honestly just seems like people not understanding where they can AFK and just whining to be honest. Torghast does take a bit of time, but there are areas even in some of the tower types where you can get up and take a break if it's so exhausting.

To clarify there absolutely is. Upon entering a new floor there is a suppression aura that nullifies every debuff from every tower buff in roughly a 15-20 yard radius around the door entrance.

I mean this is the same argument about almost everything. If you have something that's clear more important than just go do it? It's not like you waste your run, and at worst if you can't manage to get back to the entrance in time, you die once at best? Getting to a new floor or backtracking to start of a level because you're concerned about dying in the event you have something come up isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    I'd like it a lot better without the anti afk stuff. If I clear a section, I should be able to go take a piss without problem. Especially when the thing takes an hour minimum and can easily go to 2 hours with bad anima powers.
    Err...what spec are you running in there? Cause an hour is the longest it takes me to get through a layer, and that is with me being extra thorough and double checking some floors for anything I might've missed (I'm doing it on a boomkin).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

If I could make two improvements to Torghast:
    1) replace the anti-AFK debuffs
    2) auto pickup phantasma (dont have to loot)