Page 1 of 36
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Blizzard using a "list" for future classes?

With the release of Shadowlands, many people were surprised by the lack of a new class. Blizzard's reasoning behind this was that no class fit the expansion's theme;

Kubit also chimed in to say the team didn’t feel like a new class jumped out at them, as one had in previous expansions.

“I’ll also add that when we’re making those choices for classes and races and things like that, a lot of it’s informed by setting and story,” said Kubit. And looking at the setting of the Shadowlands, there wasn’t a class that jumped out like the Demon Hunter did in the past with Legion for example. So a lot of our focus is more on building the world of the Shadowlands.”
    https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2...ll-human-dwarf

That got me wondering; Couldn't Blizzard just create a class that fits the theme of Shadowlands, which revolves around the Death realm? Multiple creators here on MMOC have created death-themed classes consistently, and there's a few anticipated classes that match the theme. So where's the new class?

Well, there would only be no new death class in a Shadowlands themed expansion if the expansion didn't match up with their list of future classes. Why they would have such a list, I don't know. What the criteria of this list is, I don't know. However, moving forward I think we can eliminate certain class concepts from contention (at least in the near future) who match expansion themes. Like for example, if we get a Dragon-themed expansion next, and there's no Dragonsworn class, we can safely eliminate that class from the list. If we have a Gnome/Goblin centric expansion and there's no Tinker class added, we can safely eliminate that class from the list as well.

With Shadowlands adding no new class, it's safe to assume that there won't be a new death class in the near future.

So the question is, what type of list is Blizzard using for their future classes? My belief is WC3 or HotS. With WC3 the only two hero units left without their abilities ever appearing the class lineup are Tinkers and Alchemists. With HotS the Tinker is there, but there is also the Dragon-based heroes Alexstraza, Deathwing, and Chromie.

So given this criteria, the next classes are (possibly) the following;
    Tinker
    Alchemist
    Dragonsworn
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-12-06 at 05:12 PM.

They probably do have a list of class ideas they have come up with that are concrete enough to work with. Don't agree with your conclusion, though. That they don't have an idea for such a class now doesn't mean that they won't have one at a later point, and i very much doubt it's a fixed list.

We also have no real way of knowing what their requirements here are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They probably do have a list of class ideas they have come up with that are concrete enough to work with. Don't agree with your conclusion, though. That they don't have an idea for such a class now doesn't mean that they won't have one at a later point, and i very much doubt it's a fixed list.

We also have no real way of knowing what their requirements here are.
    Well sure, I could see their list evolving over time. The possibility of a Dragonsworn class thanks to HotS kind of demonstrates that. I just found their reasoning for not having a new class in Shadowlands kind of perplexing, because the way they said it just seemed like they have a set list of classes that they can choose from.

Oh look, another thread hypothesizing a tinker class.

It’s been how many expansions now?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean if they were going to put a Tinker class in then BfA would've been the expansion to do it. I can see a Dragonoid type class being added, especially if we do an expansion in the Dragon Isles

there is probably a list but its probably not that in-depth.
    the list probably is a mix of WC3 heroes and other things that might make sense for WoW.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Oh look, another thread hypothesizing a tinker class.

It’s been how many expansions now?
    Reread the OP again. Tinker isn't the only possibility listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean if they were going to put a Tinker class in then BfA would've been the expansion to do it. I can see a Dragonoid type class being added, especially if we do an expansion in the Dragon Isles
    Not really. BFA really didn't revolve around Tinkers or Gelbin/Gazlowe. It revolved around the Fourth War, Sylvanas, Anduin, Saurfang, and Tyrande. We also had some N'Zoth and Azshara tossed in. Not to mention BFA came right after Legion where they introduced Demon Hunters, so that wasn't going to be a new class expansion anyways.

I think the next expansion will have a new class, so we should be on the look out to see what hints we have coming next. The lack of Gelbin and Gazlowe in Shadowlands is interesting, as is the rebirth of Ysera, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Well sure, I could see their list evolving over time. The possibility of a Dragonsworn class thanks to HotS kind of demonstrates that. I just found their reasoning for not having a new class in Shadowlands kind of perplexing, because the way they said it just seemed like they have a set list of classes that they can choose from.
    Pretty sure HotS has no bearing on WoW, rather, it's the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    there is probably a list but its probably not that in-depth.
    the list probably is a mix of WC3 heroes and other things that might make sense for WoW.
    I agree. I suppose the X-factor is figuring out what that list is composed of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Pretty sure HotS has no bearing on WoW, rather, it's the other way around.

Our class version of the Demon Hunter pretty much came from HotS.

There won't be any new classes. They add a lot of bloat and balancing issues for every future expansion to the game while adding nothing more than different colored icons. All this while players are leavin left and right.

I agree. I suppose the X-factor is figuring out what that list is composed of.
    i could see something related to dragons.
    maybe a void class kind of like a paladin. (something void infused like a paladin is light infused)
    i do want another pet class but i am not sure were to start with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    There won't be any new classes. They add a lot of bloat and balancing issues for every future expansion to the game while adding nothing more than different colored icons. All this while players are leavin left and right.
    New classes also bring new players into the game. There are a lot of potential players out there not playing WoW because the current crop of classes don't appeal to them. Imagine for example how many less players there would be if Death Knights, Monks, and Demon Hunters weren't available.

New classes also bring new players into the game. There are a lot of potential players out there not playing WoW because the current crop of classes don't appeal to them. Imagine for example how many less players there would be if Death Knights, Monks, and Demon Hunters weren't available.
    It's a lot less than you think.

I'm not sure we'll see a new class again at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Please, do share the source of your knowledge on this matter.

Because it would seem they weren't in a hurry to add a new class for neither Bfa nor SL despite its "power of attraction!!"...

Or perhaps it's a fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people holding off on trying this game because they know beforehand that they wouldn't enjoy any of the available classes without trying the game first.

Not.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    there will never be perfect balance. so using that to say there wont be a new class seems kind of foolish.

They will never use a list from the community. Simple reason. All the ideas suck.

Tinker sucks
    Dragonsworn sucks
    Idea A through G that the community has cone up with sucks

You're missing that Death-based classes at the start of SL actually make little sense. We're just diving into a new realm, it wouldn't fit if we somehow brought masters of it along with us.

Getting Necromancers or similar once SL is over would be vastly more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    there will never be perfect balance. so using that to say there wont be a new class seems kind of foolish.
    No, but there's no need to make a huge problem even worse, especially when it adds nothing to the table.

"YEAH BUT THE CLASS USES [Magic School] INSTEAD OF [Different Magic School]!" - So the animations are teal instead of purple, big deal.

If there were 10 specs op maybe had a point, but with 40 there's nothing that a new class can add that isn't there instead of different skins/aesthetics.

I get it, he wants Tinker very badly. But it's just not reasonable.

Honestly, the big takeaway for me is that Blizzard just isn't considering adding a Necromancer class to WoW. Whether it's because they feel that the DK covers the angle well enough, or they just don't feel it fits, I have no idea, but Shadowlands was essentially *the* time to add it and it didn't even cross their minds.

Which is kind of sad, in a way, because there's a number of ways they could have done it and it would have been interesting, but nope. I think the ship has truly sailed.

The next expansion takes us to the Dragon Isles.
    The next class is a Dragonsworn.

Feel free to screencap this and add it to your "posts that aged well" folders.
    "High Elves....honestly? Spoilers, guys, Blood Elves are pretty much High Elves."
    -Ion, Blizzcon 11/4/17

"So...basically? Blood Elves kind of are High Elves."
    - Ion, Blizzard Q&A 4/26/18