Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation 'True Blood' Reboot in the Works; Alan Ball set to return

Coming up necks at HBO: A True Blood reboot!

TVLine has learned exclusively that the premium cabler is developing a new iteration of the vampire drama, with 'Riverdale' creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa attached as exec producer. Aguirre-Sacasa is also expected to co-write the pilot with Jami O’Brien, who most recently served as creator of AMC’s supernatural thriller NOS4A2. O’Brien would also be an EP.

Additionally, Alan Ball — who created the original True Blood for HBO in 2008, and remained its showrunner for five of its seven seasons — is poised to return as an exec producer.

An HBO spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

I feel like I should take issue with this.
    ‘True Blood’ isn’t that old of a show. It only ended I think in 2014.

For those unaware of the show, it was an adaptation of a novel series called 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' which also did fairly well.

About the show:

The fictional universe depicted in the series is premised on the notion that vampires exist, unbeknownst to the majority of humans until two years before the series premiere, when the creation of synthetic blood ("Tru Blood") by Japanese scientists, which eliminated vampires' need for human blood to survive, allowed vampires to "come out of the coffin" and reveal their existence to the world. This so-called "Great Revelation" has split vampires into two camps: those who wish to integrate into human society (i.e., "mainstream") by campaigning for citizenship and equal rights,E-1 and those who think human-vampire co-existence is impossible, because it conflicts with the inherently predatory and violent nature of vampires. It has also caused similar divisions amongst non-vampires; some believe that vampires should be accepted and granted rights, while others view them as monsters to be destroyed. Throughout the series, other supernatural creatures are introduced, among them shapeshifters, werewolves, faeries, witches, and a maenad.

I'm personally a fan of the show. The last couple of seasons saw a decline in quality, in my opinion, but it didn’t sour the show as a whole for me and countless other fans.

Should it even need a reboot? If so, isn’t it too early?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2020-12-09 at 06:48 PM.

I am cautiously optimistic, I don't care if it was only ended in 2014 ish I would like more, though not like the last 2 seasons, they were GoT level.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic, I don't care if it was only ended in 2014 ish I would like more, though not like the last 2 seasons, they were GoT level.
    While the last two seasons of TB weren't all that great... they weren't ANYWHERE near the trainwreck that was GoT S08.

And, I would also like more... but not as a reboot. That would just be silly. That said, this says "New iteration". Which is not the same as a reboot.

I enjoyed early books but lost interest around book 5 I think? show didn't grab me at all, it didn't really feel like books to me. will i watch the reboot? probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    While the last two seasons of TB weren't all that great... they weren't ANYWHERE near the trainwreck that was GoT S08.

And, I would also like more... but not as a reboot. That would just be silly. That said, this says "New iteration". Which is not the same as a reboot.
    GoT was sudden, the last 2 seasosn of TB went for a long drawn out painful death, the finale of the prior season set it up so well and then erg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I enjoyed early books but lost interest around book 5 I think? show didn't grab me at all, it didn't really feel like books to me. will i watch the reboot? probably not.

The first season got me hooked. It felt more raw then the following seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Sorry, had started a thread not realizing one was already going.

I loved the show, and I don’t think I can see the characters being played by anyone else—they all did so well. That said, I absolutely loathed the ending, and I remember making a lengthy comment about it years ago on here.

I think I found your post, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I didn't like how they killed Bill off. If they planned for Sookie to never give up her fairy light, why then torture the poor girl and make her ram a broken shovel through Bills chest? Why not just let Bill meet the sun the following morning? I mean, it's a horrible way for Sookie to remember Bill - this goo in a box that she killed.

I also didn't like how Jessica and Hoyt were rushed into marriage - they did just meet. It was romantic, but it was all for Bill, which I don't think they should of done. I was hoping Hoyt would ask Jessica to turn him so they could spend eternity together, but now we're left with this unfinished story with them. Is he going to realize he's getting older and older and still hasn't gotten turned? Does she want him to stay human and watch him die? Like, wtf....

And the final part...that mystery man of Sookies. I'm glad she got to have "that life she always wanted", but I don't like that they chose it to be with some guy we have no clue who he is. I never liked the story they did with Sam in this TV series and I was hoping they would follow the books and have Sookie and Sam be together at the end. BUT the TV series never really built up a solid relationship between them and everyone that read the books would of saw how it was forced at the end to appeal to the just the book fans.

I was really hoping that Alcide hadn't of died in an earlier episode, and that him and Sookie had ended up together. Him dying was the one sad and "WTF!" moment I really had. Why have him and Sookie get together for only a few episodes and then kill him off? Why not make it so the two of them were the final couple at the end? He loved her deeply and I think she could of "completely" loved him after Bill was outta the picture.

The only thing that felt right was Eric and Pam. Their ending was perfect for their characters and personalities, lol.

Oh, well....

I agree with all of your points. I feel like the ending was rushed for the sake of just having "something" to end on.

Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post

Should it even need a reboot? If so, isn’t it too early?
    Is it an actual reboot...or is it just a revival? Revivals are the latest thing.

Whilst not against the camp aspect that the show dived into, it literally starts with an excellent, biting satirical scene, and dilutes as it goes on. I often wondered what it would have been like if it had stayed with that tone. I've no doubt they'll just double down on the camp soapy aspects, it's easy and pulls in plenty of ratings, but I'll be fine with a reboot if they go gritty. Except Lafayette... he better be fucking fabulous.

Great, more sex orgies with vampires.

The ending of the 'southern vampire mystery' series was so fucking bad people are still furious with the author years later. If thats whats going to be brought into the series than no, I say let it stay dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the early seasons. The show changed in the end but wrapped up fast enough that no real damage was done. I don't understand why they would need to do a reboot...why not some sort of spin-off if people want more stuff from the universe?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, another reboot!

I did like the first couple(maybe few) seasons but the show definitely went down hill toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Great, more sex orgies with vampires.
    Boobs and vampires, this show did it best.

As to the actual reboot, it's way too soon for a reboot. These actors aren't even out of their 40s yet, are they? I only really disliked how they handled Rita's death, more than anything else. She fucking died off-screen, which was dumb. Don't mind the unseen husband at the end.

The whole faerie realm arc with her fairy godfather was nonsense bullshit.

I actually really liked the whole idea behind the show in the 00s as an allegory for gay rights, and coming out of the closet. From the "God Hates Fangs" slogan prominent in the opening credits (mirroring the Westboro Baptist Church's notoriously similar saying about gay men), to the strident debate within the community itself about whether to "mainstream" or preserve their own culture, to the religious folks trying desperately to find a "cure" for this evil which basically amounted to dehumanizing and degrading vamps into non-persons and thus feeling fine in killing them, I thought in 2008 that this show was pretty much the most pro-gay show on TV during the era. And it did it cleverly, too.

The Vamp religion stuff was meh, at best, though I loved Eliot Stabler showing up for an arc.

at first, after reading the thread title, i was like "they're *rebooting* the daniel day lewis movie?"
    Last edited by metzger84; 2020-12-10 at 10:26 AM.

There's no practical reason to do this.

I'm happy for the people that are excited about this, but I tried watching True Blood on a recommendation and thought it was the worst tv show I'd ever seen.

No idea if I want this, I loved the originals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm happy for the people that are excited about this, but I tried watching True Blood on a recommendation and thought it was the worst tv show I'd ever seen.
    Mostly agree. I watched because a lot of friends did, and it was event viewing back then. Sookie and Bill always felt a bit ... bland.

The secondary characters really lit up the show. Eric, Lafayette, Tara, and Pam always have a place in my heart.

What We Do in The Shadows is really giving me all of the vampire fix I need right now.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Oh, it was definitely trash. But it was good trash. It was meme-worthy trash.

I have a whole group of friends in my D&D circles, who, when trying to do a southern accent, try and imitate Stephen Moyer's southern accent because of how bad it was. I understand the dude is British, but sometimes we just yell randomly at each other, "Soooooooookie!" in that fucking awful attempt at a Louisiana accent.