Resto druids: Memory of unending growth vs Mother tree

Hey all,

I was just wracking my brain on why unending growth is said to be better for raids. When I do the math, it doesn't add up. I've looked all over for the math breakdown, but cannot find it for my life.

For Mother tree:
    assume 4-6 wild growths per min. (went with 5).
    5 casts yields 2 procs of lego, with 6 extra rejuvs.

For Unending growth: (disclaimer, not at home but I was under the impression rejuv ticks 5 times if i remember correctly).
    5 ticks of rejuv (one full rejuv) gives 12.5% chance overall to get an extra rejuv.

Doing some (perhaps wrong math) 6 rejuvs from Mother tree / .125% = 48 rejuvenations that need to be cast per min (not counting extra procs and flourish).

Can someone explain this to me? Outside of using flourish (maybe even with it) I do not see how unending growth is better? That's almost every GCD spamming rejuv. Thanks!

PS first time poster...Be gentle xD
    Last edited by darksniper240; 2020-12-14 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Updated Title

The more haste you have the more Rejuv ticks, the better Unending growth becomes.
    There’s a few tables floating around (Questionably epic might have it) that show the effectiveness of Unending at higher haste levels and how many Rejuvenations you’re casting.

FWIW, in smaller Flex raid (10-15man) I believe Mother Tree edges out Unending.

Personally, I haven’t crafted either yet because I’m still unsure. Mother Tree is a good all-rounder for both M+ and Raids (where I do Heroic not Mythic) while Unending is trash for M+... as such, I could just craft a Rank 3 Mother tree this week.

But I might craft the faster HoT/DoT ticks (Can’t recall the name) for M+ and use Unending for raids so would craft 2x Level 1’s

Wanted to hop in on this convo! So it seems controverial but the top tier resto druids are doing what i just respecced for, which is mother tree. But the catch is lightening up on haste and stacking crit/mast. You go SotF with flourish and when you wild growth if it procs your legendary you go for a regrowth, if it crits all 4 crit for 20k+ healing each. Massive mana conserver and big burst heals. Of course you can also use it on rejuv if burst damage isnt happening. If the wild growth does not proc your legendary, safe the switmend for right before your next wild growth. This works fantastic with the crit stacking, and you only need ~15% haste, aiming for 15% mast and as high as you can get your crit. Vers is also a viable sub for mastery here depending on the situation. Also rejuv ticks 6 + whatever your haste is determiens the percentage strength of 7th tick. 21% makes it a full 7th. But having magnitude on 6 and then a baby 7th tick is better for this approach because your healing comes from big spread crit regrowths and wild growths.

Mother Tree isn't a bad legendary imo. I think it's got some good healing to it mathematically but as someone else pointed out, haste improves the ticks of Rejuv and the more ticks, the most chance it spreads. Additionally, the more Rejuvs we have, the less expensive Regrowth costs. As Druids, we naturally are spamming Rejuvs, which means our legendary spreads more, which reduces the cost of our only burst heal.

The biggest issue with Mother Tree though is it's RNG aspect. Yes Unending has RNG but it's just a simply HoT that gets applied which is our primary source of healing. Mother Tree could just overheal people with Regrowth at random times and then I'm left with a lesser HoT.

It's not that Mother Tree is bad, I just don't like taking the gamble on if it'll come in clutch or be wasted, whereas Unending has great synergy with our playstyle.