Page 1 of 2
LastLast

People who soured on the story

since Sylvanas has taken a more proponent role since Legion. They even resort to trashing Blizzard as a company in youtube videos because the dislike of one Horde character. I don't know how Shadowlands is going to satisfy them. BFA probably hit the nail in the coffin of these people coming back.

Correction: one Mawsworn character.

Sylvanas betrayed and never cared about the Horde. Never forget that.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Okay? And why do we need a thread discussion of other people's opinions?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    since Sylvanas has taken a more proponent role since Legion. They even resort to trashing Blizzard as a company in youtube videos because the dislike of one Horde character. I don't know how Shadowlands is going to satisfy them. BFA probably hit the nail in the coffin of these people coming back.
    Pretty sure that Sylvanas is not the reason why people find the story complete trash.
    It's mostly because the story is trash, and writers are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, they jumped too many sharks in BfA and I am very much considering the sword in silithus part of BfA.

This really convoluted the story.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

blizzard writers are trash.
    blizzard writers are not allowed to read critism because it might impact their vision.
    the current Head dev of lore loves to retcon lore to fit his needs.
    blizzard needs to get punished and learn a harsh lesson.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The plot in wow is something I put on par with the tabloids in a playboy.

It's there but it's not why I show up. Personally the shadow lands seems like a wasted concept. You have covenants then seem to feed off of souls but nothing is being done with or explored about that. Instead its generic evil force again.

Sylvanas was never the issue for me (although I do feel her potential has been wasted - that moment of introspection after Vol'jin passed the mantle to her was the first time I ever cared about the character).

It is that she made the entirety of the Horde complicit with genocide that rubs me the wrong way. Particularly given how telegraphed her redemption arc is... there will never be one for my characters.

The story is lacking because this is the afterlife and I need to remind myself of that often. I have only a vague idea of what types go where:

- Bastion take the good guys
    - Maw the bad guys
    - Ardenweald takes... Nature guys.. good and bad? Dunno
    - Revendreth tends to take the types that did evil things, but werent irredeemably evil
    - Maldraxxus takes... the spirited types?

All kinda vague... and leaves a rather Big portion of people going who knows where....

Thats the problem of the story. I keep forgetting its the afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by Wysmark View Post
    - Maldraxxus takes... the spirited types?
    Maldraxxus is kind of complicated, they get more into the reasons souls get sent to Maldraxxus in the Covenant storyline.

****Minor Spoilers (if you haven't done the first half of the Maldraxxus Covenant storyline)****

There is one quest where you travel to Bastion with Alexandros Mograine, he asks the Kyrian why he was sent to Maldraxxus instead of Bastion because he spent his life in service to the light and hated the undead. Basically it's revealed that his source of strength is based on his memories of the love of his family and that giving that up to become a Kyrian would have destroyed him. The Arbiter sent him to Maldraxxus instead of Bastion so he could hold on to his memories. He's actually pretty happy after finding out the reason and dedicates himself to restoring honor to Maldraxxus. So, as I understand it, Maldraxxus is for souls that value independence and were dedicated to fighting for a cause in life, be that cause good or evil. That is why there are souls who were both "good" and "evil" in life working side by side in Maldraxxus.
    Last edited by Dervrak; 2020-12-22 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    blizzard writers are trash.
    blizzard writers are not allowed to read critism because it might impact their vision.
    the current Head dev of lore loves to retcon lore to fit his needs.
    blizzard needs to get punished and learn a harsh lesson.
    And how should Blizzard be punished?
    Is it punishment enough for Blizzard that SL is a commercial success?

I've come to the conclusion that some lore-fanatics are as "delusional" about their share of the player base as some in the hardcore raiding scene. In reality both parties are quite small.
    The majority of the WoW players give an equal fuck about playing competitively and the consistency of the story.
    Most just want to play what they find fun and want some "cool" story or "cool" characters to identify with.
    And Blizzard is very good at giving the majority what it wants.
    As Blizzard says it itself: Gameplay first!
    Last edited by T-34; 2020-12-22 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added Blizzard's motto

Honestly.. Sylvanas isn't what is wrong with the story. I mean yeah a lot of people don't like her in particular but every main character has haters... see Tyrande, Alleria, Malfurion, Illidan, Jaina, Baine... I mena every main cast member. The only ones that don't have a major camp of haters are forgotten third and 4th string peeps like Eitrigg and the Black Bride, or so new they barely have story outside their introduction.

What killed the story, for me at least, was having two divergent narratives that never intersected with more more plot holes than actual story. Major lore lead ins motivating characters to action just vanishing like Murder Hornet headlines after a patch update... like azerite super weapons were such a big deal that they played almost NO role in later events. And then, you had that abysmal ousting of the villainous warchief... cause REVERSE SoO is soo original (because we stormed the underhold first this time around rather than breaching the gates). But i guess since it was soloable and didn't spend 2 years doing it for loot was a better deal.. I guess.

Blogpost 101:

- State ONLY opinions with no facts
    - Have a dig at people who may disagree with you, even before they disagree
    - Offer no question, and nothing to discuss
    - Thread closed

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Correction: one Mawsworn character.

Sylvanas betrayed and never cared about the Horde. Never forget that.
    Everything was her fault, the horde did nothing wrong right, everything was Garrosh's fault the horde did nothing wrong right, everything was... You see.

For me the problem with the story is I feel like they never resolve plot lines and they just diverge to something else hoping that we forget about the previous thing. Also, the "come back for the next chapter next week" is just tiring. Stop locking story behind weekly gates. By the time I finish it months later I dont even care anymore.

Shadowlands i don't even care about any of the characters. I don't remember any of their names and I see no reason why I should since they are all dead anyway. Shadoelands is the perfect expansion to ignore story and lore and just focus on doing dungeons/raids/pvp.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-12-22 at 10:23 PM.

Simple: we just don't pay a lot of heed to the story and try to focus on the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Everything was her fault, the horde did nothing wrong right, everything was Garrosh's fault the horde did nothing wrong right, everything was... You see.
    No, the Horde is still guilty of genocide. What I am saying is that they were so dumb that they did not even realize the psycho they were following was not even loyal to the Horde in the first place.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    IMO, they jumped too many sharks in BfA and I am very much considering the sword in silithus part of BfA.

This really convoluted the story.
    What else can we do about the sword? We'd stopped the bleeding and removed the poison. Anyone with any level of brains knows you don't remove a stabbing implement from a wound unless you're prepared to deal with the trauma that would unfold. So, even if we were capable of removing it we'd probably choose not to, since there's no way we'd be able to handle that level of planetary trauma. Leaving the sword in her side won't kill her.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly? if someone can rage enough to quit because they are mad about the story, then i hope they dont come back.

and Sylvanas betrayed the horde too, and not just in BfA. They were used by her just like previous evil -dick-taters, used them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Honestly.. Sylvanas isn't what is wrong with the story. I mean yeah a lot of people don't like her in particular but every main character has haters... see Tyrande, Alleria, Malfurion, Illidan, Jaina, Baine... I mena every main cast member. The only ones that don't have a major camp of haters are forgotten third and 4th string peeps like Eitrigg and the Black Bride, or so new they barely have story outside their introduction.

What killed the story, for me at least, was having two divergent narratives that never intersected with more more plot holes than actual story. Major lore lead ins motivating characters to action just vanishing like Murder Hornet headlines after a patch update... like azerite super weapons were such a big deal that they played almost NO role in later events. And then, you had that abysmal ousting of the villainous warchief... cause REVERSE SoO is soo original (because we stormed the underhold first this time around rather than breaching the gates). But i guess since it was soloable and didn't spend 2 years doing it for loot was a better deal.. I guess.
    B-B-b-BAINE?! BAINE has haters?!?!?! what is this madness!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    thats not totally correct, which is the point of this post. that is the writer's fault, for pigeon holing the horde into the villain corner everytime.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    What else can we do about the sword? We'd stopped the bleeding and removed the poison. Anyone with any level of brains knows you don't remove a stabbing implement from a wound unless you're prepared to deal with the trauma that would unfold. So, even if we were capable of removing it we'd probably choose not to, since there's no way we'd be able to handle that level of planetary trauma. Leaving the sword in her side won't kill her.
    That it not what I meant. I meant the stabbing itself was a stupid idea.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines