Poll: What class most needs a complete overhaul?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I could say monk, but that's based solely on my personally not having found any of their specs enjoyable to play. I think WW is over-bloated, it has easily 3x as many routinely used abilities as any other class/spec I play (with little to no discernible differences between them) with the exception of feral druid (which could also use some ability trim, IMO). I haven't tried Brewmaster since Legion, but I never could grasp their tanking it just seemed unnecessarily convoluted.

I miss Wrath era Survival Hunter, that's my response to that. I don't understand why hunter needed a melee spec. If they're going that route then they should've made Outlaw Rogue ranged, like GW2's thief w/ranged weapons.

I've been disappointed with Elemental Shaman since Wrath too (didn't play MoP). The spec hasn't evolved in any meaningful way, meanwhile they've lost a lot of their utility, DPS totems, and the rotation has barely changed in 12 years which makes it extremely boring to play if you've been playing it that long.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

DH, still need the third spec

7+ Year Old Account

Red face

In fact, specifically none. What they really need before anything is overhaul of class hierarchy as a whole, towards which, judging by current organization of progress, they're completely...

...well, you know

Then and only when this happens, all conflicts will be excluded in form of stupid implementation like current svhunters, pirat~rogues, arrears on filling hybrids' and other spell books, requirements for mechanics, characteristics, universalization of equipment system, design of talents... only then there will be at least some sense in specific point changes (which, in fact, will bring system to aforementioned "common denominator").

Until then, it's just building castles in the air
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Dear devs, you're trying to sit with one @$$ on two chairs, it will NEVER EVER work, and the sooner you understand this and return to original design, the sooner everything will return to normal, otherwise you won't be able to do anything good with classes' gameplay. Cheers.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2021-09-16 at 09:28 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I don't think any CLASS needs a complete overhaul, but I do think we could do with some fundamental spec changes.

I'd especially like to see more tank specs, for various reasons. Pure DPS classes in particular could fairly easily accommodate a tank spec to replace one of their three DPS specs.

Survival Hunter could easily be turned into a tank (I mean it's literally called SURVIVAL after all ). Bombs and stuff could remain, and just be modified into tank abilities. Come up with an interesting defensive mechanic, and you're golden. Flavor is easy to do, just lean on the animal theme and do Aspect of the Clefthoof or whatever.

Demonology Warlock as a tank is something I'd personally LOVE to see. Give them an ability that effectively swaps the player control to the pet, turning the "player" into a pet. That way you can easily maintain the pet fantasy, but not worry about issues with movement etc. because you'd be in direct control. Tons of options there, including using other summoned demons for defensive purposes (taking hits for you, sharing damage, etc.) to maintain the spec fantasy.

I'd probably also switch Outlaw Rogue to a tanking spec. The pirate theme can easily stay, and just be retooled into the tough scoundrel who just won't die. Lots of CC options, and a bag of tricks of all sorts for defensive purposes - there's already a lot of familiar names there that could support that flavor, like Riposte, Evasion, Smoke Bomb, etc. all of which have defensive connotations. That would have the added benefit of freeing up a more defined role for Subtlety, so you could leave Assassination as the poison/bleed DoT spec and have Subtlety as the direct damage/burst spec.

Mage would be the hardest of the pure DPS classes to redesign. I could see both Arcane or Frost fill a tanking role, but I'd probably lean towards Frost because it has an inherent control theme and some interesting defensive flavor with ice-based barriers/shields. This could give interesting options to a tank with controlling mob movement, while retaining the idea of a tough target covered in layers of ice. In fact, some sort of frozen shell could be the main defensive mechanic, trying to maintain a number of these shell stacks as a regular rotation. Iconic mage abilities like Mirror Image could be repurposed as defensive cooldowns. Much like the Rogue, this could solidify the niches of the two other specs, with Fire being DoT/AoE based and Arcane being bursty.
    a tank spec for survival or demonology where a pet is atualy tanking would be interesting

Warlock. Destro and Demo are still extremely undercooked, and the class has had stuff stripped out of it to help build other classes.

Unpopular opinion, gladiator warrior needs to come back!

Bring arms back to wotlk/cata where weapons actually mattered and armor pen was a thing.

Oh, and buff ticklestorm to actually do damage.

Feral
    Havoc

Feral is just... it feels bad. Lets put it that way. I have wanted to play one since wod, but it feels bad.

Havoc. It was designed in legion where it didnt even get third spec. Many of its stuff was tied to the legendary. Yet, while it remained good, it was always lacking something in bfa and as far as I can tell in SL too. It was always an extremely simple spec. Some of its mechanics that made it better were removed and not added back. There isnt even another dps spec to go for when havoc is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    1: Warlock
    2: Rogue
    3: Death Knight

Unholy and Frost for me
    I lol'd a bit

Locks are one of the only to get a rework mid xpac. Have seen about as many changes as the top. If x spec sucks(demo) that's balance they have had more than enough attention design wise.

Rogues are rogues like mages you got at least one spec to f someone's world up. Not evey class can say that.

You might not like unholy but it's a beast and designed well enough. I could wright a page on frost but it needs to go back to MoP and built upon that.

#1 hands down is sv hunter that shit show is literally untouched.

Would like to see monks be good at something more than 1v1 rights. It's sad what ww has devolved into and left on the curve.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

I think Monk could use a complete overhaul. All 3 specs are weird to play. WW is a master martial artist...king of flow...with one of the most rigid rotations in the game. Feels weird.

Well a lot of old timey rogue players such as myself would like the spec returned to the good ol days of combat. I suppose "combat" didn't have enough of niche.. or theme for blizzard to build much around it but anything would be better than pirates though.
    I disagree, matey. That be landlubber talk for “go suck on a bilge hose.” Har har.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    Unpopular opinion, gladiator warrior needs to come back!
    Yaasssss /10char

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    I lol'd a bit

Locks are one of the only to get a rework mid xpac. Have seen about as many changes as the top. If x spec sucks(demo) that's balance they have had more than enough attention design wise.

Rogues are rogues like mages you got at least one spec to f someone's world up. Not evey class can say that.

You might not like unholy but it's a beast and designed well enough. I could wright a page on frost but it needs to go back to MoP and built upon that.
    Doesn't really matter when the change/design is bad, balance isn't going to make up for that. For affliction especially the whole Malefic Rapture thing is piss poor design as well as the whole soulshard and soulshard generation system is complete ass. When you have no shards you have no damage, get shards you have damage for as long as it takes you to cast 5 MRs and then you're back to sucking with Drain soul until you can do anything of significance again. On Single Target the weakness of the MR design really shines due to awful RNG soulshard generation.

Rogues for sure. They need to ditch the very outdated combo point system (same goes for feral). They aren't actual combos, that is something monks excel at with chi and their mastery. Instead, they are using the same ability 5 times followed by a finisher. I'd rather see something like momentum, where the more you keep up your attacks, the faster and stronger they hit. Finishers would be amplified by high levels of momentum to do more damage, instead of "points" that make no sense.

Warlock. It has lost so much of its "tanky/self sustain caster" identity.

In my opinion arms and fury are fine for warriors, all they need at the moment is a little bit of tuning.

Specs or classes that need an overhaul for me are survival hunter and sub/outlaw rogue.

Survival feels slow and boring to me because there aren't that many abilities you need to keep track and use. You're supposed to be like Rexxar but he uses his pets a lot more. For me it would make more sense if you had like no pet as survival and only see your pet or a generic pet when using some abilities. Also add dw for survival.

For Rogue I don't really like outlaw because again it feels somewhat slow with lesser gear. When starting out you're starved for energy and have some downtime every now and then. It gets better with time but they did fix this starvation for warriors so, they could do the same for rogue. Other than that I also don't like the pirate theme.

Sub is the only spec I don't like at all and it's the only spec I can't play. The main thing why I dislike it is the fact that it constantly changes you actionbar. They fixed it for shadow priests where your abilities on the action bar change instead of changing the whole action bar so they could probably do the same for sub or go back to I think it was Legion where you had your big damage windows and didn't constantly change between being in stealth and not.

All 3 warrior specs are currently dogshit that is being brought only for rally and bshout, preferably in the tank spot so the drawback of running a warrior is lessened compared to running a "dps"

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Convoke is icing on Feral's cake. Feral literally has everything you'd want in a melee - Utility, AoE damage, ST sustain, ST burst, mobility, defensive. Hell, if I recall, Ferals basically one of the top specs for Raiding right now.

In PvP, Feral is godly at low rank where you just push a button and everything dies, and with the combination of Feral's self-healing, extreme kiting capabilities, two defensives, AND their extensive CC kit (Cyclone, Roots, Maim, Vortex or Roar), Feral is a SOLID contender at high ranks - It might not be RMP, but it's up there for sure.

So when you come in a discussion board, blantantly say that Feral is complete garbage and it's current gameplay needs to be tossed with an entirely new revamp without going into detail, expect other posters to call you out on your complete BS
    Calm the fuck down its Christmas don't put me in a bad mood champ, don't fucking put words in my mouth, reread my fucking post, feral need a revamp, its the same spec that was in the last 10 years or so, the fact that you mention that feral brings 'utility' make me realize how clown you are, you like feral? good for you, some don't move over and put a sock in your mouth

These would be my suggestions:

Hunter

Beast Mastery - based on the Beastmaster hero unit (Rexxar)
    Marksmanship - Based on the Sapper unit (Junkrat)
    Survival - based on the Headhunter/Berserker units (Zul'jin)

Mage

Arcane - based on the Diablo III Wizard class (Li Ming)
    Fire - based on the Blood Mage hero unit (Kael'thas)
    Frost - based on the Archmage hero unit (Jaina)

Monk

Brewmaster - based on the Brewmaster hero unit (Chen Stormstout)

Paladin

Holy - based on the Paladin hero unit (Uther the Lightbringer)
    Protection - based on the Vindicator title (Yrel)
    Retribution - based on the Diablo III Crusader class (Johanna)

Rogue

Subtlety - based around Valeera Sanguinar

Shaman

Enhancement - based on the Shaman/Far seer units (Rehgar and Thrall)

Warlock

Demonology - based around Gul'dan

Warrior

Arms - based on the Tauren Chieftain hero unit (Cairne Bloodhoof)
    Fury - based on the Mountain King hero unit (Muradin Bronzebeard)

Demon Hunter. Yes, it’s the newest. But it was designed in and with the Borrowed Power in mind.

It feels okay. But underneath, the base class without the animations, is.. shallow. Or maybe I just never clicked with it outside of the power level. I did enjoy the class greatly in solo content, but not in group content.

The class feels like it’s drifting like a rudderless boat. Where is it going? How does the class live on after the others went through an unpruning?

In difference to the OP, Rogues feel great, but this is because I am really vibing current Subtlety.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2020-12-24 at 02:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’d lean towards pet classes overall, should be reimagined.

Otherwise, Warlocks need an overhaul. Warriors as well. Both class lack focus and definition. Both are constantly reworked/tweaked every xpac. Figure out what each spec is bout and where to take them then stick with it.

Well a lot of old timey rogue players such as myself would like the spec returned to the good ol days of combat. I suppose "combat" didn't have enough of niche.. or theme for blizzard to build much around it but anything would be better than pirates though.
    The day they introduced the pirate theme was the day I stopped playing my rogue.