Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    we can always reverse it
    but in a way, its like cancer
    the earlier you deal with it, the easier (and cheaper) it is to deal with

pity we have groups that have done nothing but shift from 1st denial, then delay, then claiming it would be to hard, then claiming it would cost to much, and now are claiming we just cant
    It can always be done, but it needs a lot of government intervention, which is not popular among those from the right. Free market capitalism got us here, and the only way to combat it is with regulation. Offer massive subsidies to those looking to put solar onto their homes. Not the companies themselves but to the people. Put regulations in that requires companies to standardize their products so that we can effectively repair them or upgrade them. Like Apple not using USB-C for a charging port on their phones, or phone companies in general that don't have removable batteries for their devices. There's no reason why every company should have different proprietary parts that do essentially the same thing. I would push for car companies to have battery powered cars much sooner. Like by 2025 you can only sell new hybrids or battery only vehicles. Speaking of cars, 50% of Americans can't afford the cheapest new car, so we need to push for converting existing vehicles to electric, which means more government subsidies. Rather than pushing people to junk old cars, we could salvage them by converting them to electric. We could push people to work from home as often as we can.

As you can see this can't be done without heavy government intervention. All of these ideas are expensive and will take away more jobs than it creates. Unless we have a 1950's style of taxing towards the wealthy, the government can't afford to pay for any of this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    More idiotic drivel attempting to magically wishful think away basic physics.

You are literally delusional. Or a moron. Or both.
    Okay well I'm not exactly sure what your argument is and what you want from the topic. Society is making good progress and it largely ignores environmentalists and green party agendas so I don't really need to convince you of anything.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-12-25 at 06:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    The best thing that can happen for this planet is that the covid vaccin makes people sterile so that 70% of humans cant get childeren anymore on the planet. Alot might get upset but in the back of our minds we know that this is something that really needs to happen at some point.
    Then the pollution can be stopped and the planet improves in 50 years.
    Malthusianism is pure BS, we have enough food to feed ten billion humans and then some and could easily do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    The best thing that can happen for this planet is that the covid vaccin makes people sterile so that 70% of humans cant get childeren anymore on the planet. Alot might get upset but in the back of our minds we know that this is something that really needs to happen at some point.
    Then the pollution can be stopped and the planet improves in 50 years.
    I remember some thread back then enabled conspiracy theories, but blatantly advocating a genocide is really a novel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Okay well I'm not exactly sure what your argument is and what you want from the topic. Society is making good progress and it largely ignores environmentalists and green party agendas so I don't really need to convince you of anything.
    It only appears to be making good progress because you deliberately ignore all evidence to the contrary cause you don’t like getting your ass handed to you on fact based discussions.

Ironic considering your constant screaming that everything is fine because previous problems were overcome is literally the form of magical thinking you constantly bitch at others for engaging in because, again, you don’t like getting your ass handed to you on fact based discussions so you start distorting the facts or outright ignoring them with shit like “I disagree”.

Your ignorance is not as valuable as someone’s educated opinion because you have internet access.

I’m fully expecting the reply to be some snitty response to the effect of either “that’s an ad hominem” or “no you’re the biased one” as per usual. If you just don’t outright ditch the thread because your position has become untenable as usual. Rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I think the only way to do it is to significantly lower the human population. The humane thing to do would be for the wide use of birth control. In a book by Dan Brown, I think it was an inferno, the antagonist engineers a virus that makes two-thirds of the human population sterile. In an amazon prime series, a similar thing is planed by the villain.

If we can lower the human population, less natural resources will be used and less waste produced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think the only way to do it is to significantly lower the human population. The humane thing to do would be for the wide use of birth control. In a book by Dan Brown, I think it was an inferno, the antagonist engineers a virus that makes two-thirds of the human population sterile. In an amazon prime series, a similar thing is planed by the villain.

If we can lower the human population, less natural resources will be used and less waste produced.
    That's insane. There's no reason to think 1 billion people is more optimal for society than 7.5 billion people and even if you did believe that then how would you make the argument that 500 million people isn't more optimal than 1 billion people, and so on. Coming up with those numbers would be purely arbitrary and not actually based on anything rational.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-12-25 at 07:34 PM.

It's theoretically possible, that some time in the distant future after everyone on this forum is 6 feet under, that some technology could be made that could reverse pollution. again distant future, since we're imo past the point of saving this planet global warming basically killing billions, maybe the remaining survivors living in canada or siberia will figure out some way. But as I said, even before that happens we'll all be dead.

I just plan on never eating seafood again, and no tuna for any future kitties I may get either.

That's insane. There's no reason to think 1 billion people is more optimal for society than 7.5 billion people and even if you did believe that then how would you make the argument that 500 million people isn't more optimal than 1 billion people, and so on. Coming up with those numbers would be purely arbitrary and not actually based on anything rational.
    500 million people create a lot less waste than 7 billion people and use less energy. A smaller amount of humans cut down fewer trees to make things with. A smaller amount of humans grow a smaller amount of livestock to eat. A smaller amount of humans farm less preventing over-fertilizing the ground with nitrogen fertilizers. Less pollution going into the ocean and the ground.

10+ Year Old Account

This exercise got dark. Assuming your insane idea is actually enacted, then how do you think the human population will feel when the rich want to kill the poor? That's who will choose to live in your insane version of The Purge. Then the sterile poor will kill the none sterile rich humans and now nobody can have children. Realistically this virus could potentially mutant and kill everyone, including animals.

We have real solutions to this problem that doesn't involve to kill all humans. They're just really expensive and the rich don't wanna pay for it.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2020-12-25 at 10:55 PM.

I heard that they are developing microbes or something that eat plastics.. but imagine if they got out of control... and eat stuff like materials on boats, materials on nuclear power plants, or something idk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I heard that they are developing microbes or something that eat plastics.. but imagine if they got out of control... and eat stuff like materials on boats, materials on nuclear power plants, or something idk.
    The reason we developed plastics is because they don't degrade very easily. If we make bacteria that degrade plastics then we can have a very serious problem. Better that we learn to recycle the plastic instead of let bacteria devour it.

One of the big problems is awareness. If Mr CA above didn't take his garbage out he'd find out quickly just how much shit he creates.
    And as creative his imagination gets when it come to wishful thinking, and this "out of sight-out of mind tendency, it seems he has an amazing inability to accept that trash and sewage doesn't disappear...
    ...add billions of people and their collective garbage and shit...

7+ Year Old Account

Yeah Malthusianism is utterly bogus, we could feed everyone with plenty for another couple billion.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Several of these microbes seem to be developing naturally; one of the issues is that we need different microbes for different plastics.

But I don't think it would be such a major issue:
    Boats already need to be cleaned and painted regularly due to other sea-life - so I guess we would just do that more regularly.
    And as far as I recall most of nuclear power plants are metals and concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

And some food for thought: We wouldn't be able to breathe without pollution that caused the first mass extinction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pollution will correct it self and the earth will heal and move on once we destroy ourselves. May take a few millennia/eons but our entire existence will be nothing more than a slim dark line in the geological layer of some far future rock formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Malthusianism is pure BS, we have enough food to feed ten billion humans and then some and could easily do so.
    Thing isn't if we can survive with food supplies. The thing is about the pollution and damage being caused by the humans and if the planet could survive. We may have enough for 10billion now, but pollution can make a very real impact to cause that to drop
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Thing isn't if we can survive with food supplies. The thing is about the pollution and damage being caused by the humans and if the planet could survive. We may have enough for 10billion now, but pollution can make a very real impact to cause that to drop
    Pollution is largely up to industrial policy and laws, the vast majority of it is from manufacturing processes which we don't have to do that way. Individuals don't bare the burden here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the truth, scientist have been lying, the truth is we fucked this planet up a LONG time ago and we are about 25 years or better too late and this is one things that can't be blamed on any Millennial.

The effects we are seeing have been a long time coming and NO they aren't going to get better either, Mark my words WATER shortages are going to be the next crises in 2021.

I say this because it's already been happening.

Rush and most Conservatives are right, they certainly helped it along but they aren't to blame, it is TOO LATE to STOP IT, if that is what you mean by reverse coarse.

As for Can we UNDO it, again NO we can delay what is going to happen like 20 years from now MAYBE, but no we're fucked

The only sliver of a chance would be the Green New Deal, seriously and even that isn't going to reverse anything.

Of course yeah, over the long term we can always find better ways to optimize the environment that surrounds us. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about the ground/soil, the water system, or gases in the atmosphere.

The claim that we've peaked in terms of our ability to improve our environment is utterly ridiculous and preposterous, imo.
    Sorry dude this is flat out wishful thinking on your part a kin to magical belief. No there is no way human beings will ever develop the technology to singularly change the entire Eco system of a planet at least not while anything living we know of remains on it and even if the day should come we can Terra form a planet like we essentially have with pollution. It would take possibly thousands of years for us to reverse what has already happened.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Here is the truth, scientist have been lying, the truth is we fucked this planet up a LONG time ago and we are about 25 years or better too late and this is one things that can't be blamed on any Millennial.

The effects we are seeing have been a long time coming and NO they aren't going to get better either, Mark my words WATER shortages are going to be the next crises in 2021.

I say this because it's already been happening.

Rush and most Conservatives are right, they certainly helped it along but they aren't to blame, it is TOO LATE to STOP IT, if that is what you mean by reverse coarse.

As for Can we UNDO it, again NO we can delay what is going to happen like 20 years from now MAYBE, but no we're fucked

The only sliver of a chance would be the Green New Deal, seriously and even that isn't going to reverse anything.

Sorry dude this is flat out wishful thinking on your part a kin to magical belief. No there is no way human beings will ever develop the technology to singularly change the entire Eco system of a planet at least not while anything living we know of remains on it and even if the day should come we can Terra form a planet like we essentially have with pollution. It would take possibly thousands of years for us to reverse what has already happened.
    Nah it's not wishful or magical thinking to say that we can improve the environment and health outcomes and increase food production across the next decade and the next century.

I'm not saying we can ever reach a utopia(which is impossible) I'm just saying that we can solve current problems and then arise to new better problems.

Your post here is literally just doomsaying and it seems like you should be pretty stressed out if you actually believe we are f--ked. As time goes on and there is no decrease in the macro-data you will eventually realize that your fears were baseless.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-12-27 at 07:30 PM.