Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I've heard of "vibratory attunement" as one of several ideas that some sci-fi authors use.

I personally can't be dismissive of such things. Since I can't know what is impossible...and really, no one else can.
    hah, pseudo-science in films is so amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    Exactly...they didn't exist in OUR KNOWN WORLD of things that mattered to us. thing that we factored into or daily lives. it didnt matter if they did or not, it "wasnt even a thing".
    Irrelevant.

It literally DOES NOT MATTER weather you know the thing exists or not. If it exists, it still exists regardless of your knowledge of it. Your lack of awareness of it does not mean it "wasn't even a thing", because it IS STILL THERE regardless. "Your known world of things" has absolutely no relevance or effect on the ability of something to exist.

Australia existed long before the British ever knew it was there. It didn't magically "appear" out of the ether because some sailor "discovered" it. It was always there. if the British had never discovered it, it would still have been there.

There are rocks on the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean that no living thing has ever laid eyes on. They exist, even if nobody has ever discovered them. Discovering them simply confirms their existence, but it isn't required for them to exist.

The idea that something can only "exist" if it has been intentionally observed to do so is beyond silly.

Shit doesn't need your permission to exist, nor does it require you to "discover" it to exist. It simply exists.

There are untold numbers of things that existed that nobody will ever KNOW existed simply because they were never observed, but they still existed.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2021-10-10 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    hah, pseudo-science in films is so amusing.
    Yes. Sci-fi has always been a precursor of things to come. Imagination and dreams always come first.

Yes. Sci-fi has always been a precursor of things to come. Imagination and dreams always come first.
    Fantasy did it first though.
    Sci-fi's basically just fantasy plus technophilic pretentiousness.

A lot of stuff "predicted" in sci-fi is just a reskin of much older concepts that have been desired and worked towards much longer than sci-fi has existed.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Irrelevant.

It literally DOES NOT MATTER weather you know the thing exists or not. If it exists, it still exists regardless of your knowledge of it. Your lack of awareness of it does not mean it "wasn't even a thing", because it IS STILL THERE regardless. "Your known world of things" has absolutely no relevance or effect on the ability of something to exist.

Australia existed long before the British ever knew it was there. It didn't magically "appear" out of the ether because some sailor "discovered" it. It was always there. if the British had never discovered it, it would still have been there.

There are rocks on the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean that no living thing has ever laid eyes on. They exist, even if nobody has ever discovered them. Discovering them simply confirms their existence, but it isn't required for them to exist.

The idea that something can only "exist" if it has been intentionally observed to do so is beyond silly.

Shit doesn't need your permission to exist, nor does it require you to "discover" it to exist. It simply exists.

There are untold numbers of things that existed that nobody will ever KNOW existed simply because they were never observed, but they still existed.
    You misunderstand. Im not saying things dont exist even if you dont know they are there. if its there, its there. You can always go back and say " wow, that was there the whole time?"

what Im saying is its not relevant if its there or not until it has some effect on "your world". It doesn't exist because its not known, not because it isn't there. it has no bearing, no effect(that you know of) and life goes on whether its there or not.

there is 100% chance things exist now that " dont exist". they just haven't been PROVEN to exist. Until then, as far as our world is concerned, they dont exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Could have signed up for the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge back before 2015 if that was the case.
    Nope , doesn't work that way. With me it's dreams that come true in every detail as much as 5 years after the fact. I don't know they are prophetic when they happen but remember the dream when the event takes place. Usually they involve places I haven't been to and people I haven't met yet. They're usually just trivial events in my life like a new workplace or something. I have dreamt of being in all my jobs years before I actually worked there. I believe many people do the same thing and it accounts for the phenomenon known as Deja Vu. Past lives are just a myth. It affirms my belief in predestination as well. How could I see into my future if it wasn't already written?
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    How could I see into my future if it wasn't already written?
    Because you didn't.
    When I was younger, before Zorro came out, I had this weird dream where Antonio Banderas was playing him.
    Then it happened irl.
    Doesn't make me a prophet.
    Nor you lol.

These are almost the dots people who believe in Q connect.

All dreams are where dejavu comes from.
    Not a smell or other memories from IRL or anything else.
    Anytime it's triggered it's from a dream the person had.
    A dream of the future.
    That's your claim.
    &
    Your dreams confirm your own destiny.
    They are proof you can also see into the future.
    That's your claim.

Really?
    So you were born with special powers?

I am unsure how anyone can ever believe in anything remotely similar to a psychic power considering they have never ever been proven to be true.... wacky coincidence.

How could I see into my future if it wasn't already written?
    Well the simple answer is "you didn't". Your mind is very good at playing those kinds of tricks on you. A feeling of familiarity that manifests as a false memory isn't that uncommon, but it's nothing more than your mind struggling to make sense of something it can't immediately explain.

Predestination is a pretty silly idea anyway. If nothing you do is going to significantly alter the course of your life then you don't really have free will. We already acknowledge that people can't be held responsible for actions that they have no control over, so if predestination were a thing then no one should ever be held accountable for anything they do. It's a truly awful and depressing way to look at life.

Nope , doesn't work that way. With me it's dreams that come true in every detail as much as 5 years after the fact.
    To be fair the real deal wouldn't accept such a "challenge" anyway.
    As for your particular case...annoying as hell, isn't it? Some things can change if you remember..enough.
    But some things seem written in stone.

To be fair the real deal wouldn't accept such a "challenge" anyway.
    As for your particular case...annoying as hell, isn't it? Some things can change if you remember..enough.
    But some things seem written in stone.
    Surprised you think he's actually psychic or that psychics are real.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Surprised you think he's actually psychic or that psychics are real.
    I keep an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    You don't need to take this entirely seriously. But just out of curiosity, do you personally believe in psychics, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, time travel, the existence of other alternate universes? During the Cold War, the Americans and Soviets spent millions on psychic espionage programs and trying to monitor potential signs of extraterrestrial life (there are even archives of their activities released online), and time travel and other universes also seem to be theoretically possible via science, though this remains highly controversial.

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03...s-in-1984.html

What do you personally think? Are there things in our reality which we cannot explain?
    Psychics are bullshit. They prey on people's fears, gullibility, and use mentalism to coerce information to continue the charade. That's goes along with every major cult and religion. Many such people were tempted by the James Randi Foundation, and all have failed rigorous experimentation.

Extraterrestrial life is possible. Is it real? Time will tell, maybe. You can play around with things like the Drake equation to determine the probability.

Time travel isn't possible. You can alter the rate at which time affects you, but you cannot travel back.

Other universes are possible if you subscribe to multiverse hypotheses. Hasn't been proven in any meaningful way. All we know for certain is that the observable universe began at the singularity. We know nothing, for certain, outside of that. But just in case these things are true we have a nice word to include everything: the cosmos.

Cosmos > Multiverse > Our universe > Observable universe > etc. And you can continue that down to your home address

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Because you didn't.
    When I was younger, before Zorro came out, I had this weird dream where Antonio Banderas was playing him.
    Then it happened irl.
    Doesn't make me a prophet.
    Nor you lol.

These are almost the dots people who believe in Q connect.

All dreams are where dejavu comes from.
    Not a smell or other memories from IRL or anything else.
    Anytime it's triggered it's from a dream the person had.
    A dream of the future.
    That's your claim.
    &
    Your dreams confirm your own destiny.
    They are proof you can also see into the future.
    That's your claim.

Really?
    So you were born with special powers?
    I guess I was but no more than many other people who never realize that it has happened. It's an innate ability that can be triggered by I'm not sure what factors. I have seen into my future and seen events containing people and places I hadn't seen yet and then they happened years later and the conversations with those people were word for word the same. I think my main "power" is the ability to remember the dreams years later even though I had never thought about them after having them. I get a flash like "Whoa, I've seen this before" and the dream comes back. Many people have the innate ability but don't realize it or choose to believe that it doesn't exist. I have researched it and it seems that it can be triggered or enhanced by the use of psychotropic drugs which I certainly would not recommend. Maybe some of the shamans of primitive tribes have actually been able to see future events. I don't rule that out. What I do rule out is the ability to do it on demand. I just don't think it works that way. The native american Chief Tecumseh had a brother who was the shaman and seer for the tribe. He was generally thought to be otherwise insane but there is an interesting story that he predicted (in a drug induced stupor), the great earthquake that took place in 1812 and was centered near present day Saint Louis. It is generally acknowledged to have been the strongest one to ever hit the North American continent and was felt from Central America up into Canada. Tenskwautawa predicted it about 3 years before it happened as the stories go. Based on my own experiences, I can't rule out that it actually happened. There are other accounts that Tecumseh himself predicted it shortly before it happened. There is also the account of the brothers predicting the solar eclipse of 1806 50 days before it happened. To this day, nobody knows how they did it but it is documented. Again, psychic ability is real. Those who seek to profit from it by claiming they can do it at will and for everybody are frauds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Well the simple answer is "you didn't". Your mind is very good at playing those kinds of tricks on you. A feeling of familiarity that manifests as a false memory isn't that uncommon, but it's nothing more than your mind struggling to make sense of something it can't immediately explain.

Predestination is a pretty silly idea anyway. If nothing you do is going to significantly alter the course of your life then you don't really have free will. We already acknowledge that people can't be held responsible for actions that they have no control over, so if predestination were a thing then no one should ever be held accountable for anything they do. It's a truly awful and depressing way to look at life.
    Actually, we don't have free will. We have the illusion of it.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Yikes

I wouldn't call the illusion of "deja vu" being "psychic" ... and free will? Just yikes.

I don't believe in psychics per se, but there are some interesting experiences I've had to which I don't have a good explanation. An instance similar to deja vu except I knew precisely what the person I was talking to was going to say next and knew who was about to walk around the corner and what they were going to say, and it happened just as I knew it would. Was like a reverse memory. Another time was with a dream in which I went in my son's room to turn his TV on, one of those built in the 80s where you have to pull the little knob out to turn it on. Right when I turned it on in the dream, the sound of the TV turning on in real life woke me up from a completely different room.

Not claiming psychic power, but still fun to think about.

I put aliens and other universes in the same category, not really surprised either way. As for the universes, while I can accept there being more than one, I reject the concept of alternate universes where our past occurred differently. There isn't another version of me in another universe.

And on that note, I utterly reject the possibility of time travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do find it strange that some people actually think that life would somehow be unique to our planet. I find it implausible that our planet would be the only one in the universe to have developed life over the course of billions of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I find it odd that you would throw in "the possibility of extraterrestrial life" and "multiverses" together with psychics and time travel.

Its like if i would ask, do you believe in Living on mars, God, veganism and China. Its like... completely different things :P

But yeah, the drake equation is kinda of convincing in saying that it would be really fucking odd if Earth were the only planet in the universe with life on it. Infact, it would be terrifyingly odd. So for the Extraterrestial life existing? A big yes, As for them having visited us, highly unlikely.

As for multiverse. No idea, i dont know enough about quantum physics to have an opinion.

Time travel? Nah, thats purely scifi for me.

Psychics? Thats a very lucrative and for some fucking reason legal way for ppl to scam desperate people of their money. Its just another one of those "wtf is wrong with murica" things.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

I do believe in alien life, considering how incredibly vast the universe is, i just cant see this little floating blue ball being the only place in the entire universe where there is life.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Life elsewhere in the universe is the only thing that is really plausible here. Unfortunately though, we will never know for sure. Unless we can slow or stop our ageing process.