Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How are the different tanks feeling so far?

Title

I know it isn’t really going to make much of a difference until mythic comes out, but I’ve heard things are hitting harder than normal. I’m just curious how the tanks are handling it thus far. I seriously hope we aren’t looking at BrM being the de facto tank for the 5th consecutive expansion.

Blood dk is that either you are god or you get one shot.

On higher keys pump everything for pull, once you survive initial damage, it is easy but sometimes you make mistake and rip on pull.

Have not had time to gear my warrior so can't say for that anything as heroics are easy with everything.

As mage dps, brewmasters don't seem to fare well.

At least ones I had encountered can't keep agro and keep dying. Might be just shit ones since most of them were playing pandaren aswell which explains it.

Prot pala as venthyr does seem to do a lot of dmg.
    Last edited by Thokri; 2020-12-12 at 02:12 PM.
    Working customer support really has made me support genocides.

Perspective of a blood dk and prot paladin.

Blood feels hit and miss. Either you're getting absolutely reamed and you're burning through cds until you're out and fucked. Or you can just stand there and never flinch.

Protadin on the other hand as kyrian has just become "Avenger's shield goes brrrrrrr" and you're pretty much unkillable with first avenger tlent
    Last edited by Matt0193; 2020-12-12 at 02:06 PM.

For raid? Brew will always be the de facto until they rework Stagger. And the fact that the other 2 Monks won't have a spot and you need Monk buff.

For race the world first the tanks are going to be Brew and DH. And at this point I would be pretty surprised if it was anything else.

Are you a AOTC player? Brewmaster being uniquely strong for raid affects your life exactly 0. What a weird thing to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickNasty View Post
    Title

I know it isn’t really going to make much of a difference until mythic comes out, but I’ve heard things are hitting harder than normal. I’m just curious how the tanks are handling it thus far. I seriously hope we aren’t looking at BrM being the de facto tank for the 5th consecutive expansion.
    Guardian druids are at a good spot. I'm at 180 ilvl and feel that the "flow" of our CDs is smooth. You can always keep CDs rolling and have good mobility

I'm also really enjoying being able to use my afinity and talents to contribute to healing in raids. Resto Affinity + Heart of the Wild + Convoke the Spirits (in humanoid form) is a really nice raid "healing CD" that you can use when you aren't actively tanking something. I'm really happy with switching from BrM to Guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Again, I'm not sure because Brewmaster's health is so low. I was watching Limit's raid the other day and their brewmaster died and one of them said they had never seen a brewmaster get one shot like that, at which point Max remarked on the low health pool offsetting some of the benefit of stagger.
    Health amount literally doesn't matter. Stamina flasks are bad. Stamina food is bad. Stamina trinkets are bad. It has been this way since Cata. Talking about how much HP a tank has is literally not an issue unless the tank is incredibly undergeared. Then the real issue is still the undergeared part and not the low HP pool part. And that entire interaction between Limit means EXACTLY nothing for a variety of reasons. Youre one of the reasons every WoW streams chat is going to be literally intolerable for atleast the next week. Thanks for that.

Brewmaster does not feel good right now, but we got a pretty significant rework that I need to get used to. Having only 2 purifies scares me. The big shield being a "1 minute" CD also scares me; I never want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post

Blood feels hit and miss. Either you're getting absolutely reamed and you're burning through cds until you're out and fucked. Or you can just stand there and never flinch.

Protadin on the other hand as kyrian has just become "Avenger's shield goes brrrrrrr" and you're pretty much unkillable with first avenger tlent
    Then I need to know what key level you are doing. Because "Avenger's shield brrr..." gets eaten through on some pulls almost instantly in even low tier +5 keys. In +8 keys I frequently get crushed and my Splintered Heart trinket has saved me almost every key. Mind you I'm 194 with decently itemized gear and enchants. Some keys/pulls mobs crush right through sotr and get gibbed practically on pull. As soon as ardent defender is down it's time to run for the hills which is bs in these low tier keys.

Right now Brew and Blood are looking to be the top tier raid tanks. For M+ DH might be a gimmick for now until people swap over to Brew/Guardian. Once again prot paladin will be a C tier tank at best. S+ offense with D/F tier mitigation. Nobody will take prot paladins seriously for m+ key pushing outside of the gimmick they are. Good for the burst they bring in low tier keys but garbage for anything else. Who cares if you can do a little more dps if you need to kite out of actual dps specs aoe constantly.

For those who care about the raid prot paladins are leading in tank deaths almost 2 to 1 going by warcraftlogs. It's only going to get worst when mythic unlocks. Good luck to prot paladins in mythic.
    Last edited by avx81; 2020-12-14 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    Then I need to know what key level you are doing. Because "Avenger's shield brrr..." gets eaten through on some pulls almost instantly in even low tier +5 keys. In +8 keys I frequently get crushed and my Splintered Heart trinket has saved me almost every key. Mind you I'm 194 with decently itemized gear and enchants. Some keys/pulls mobs crush right through sotr and get gibbed practically on pull. As soon as ardent defender is down it's time to run for the hills which is bs in these low tier keys.

Right now Brew and Blood are looking to be the top tier raid tanks. For M+ DH might be a gimmick for now until people swap over to Brew/Guardian. Once again prot paladin will be a C tier tank at best. S+ offense with D/F tier mitigation. Nobody will take prot paladins seriously for m+ key pushing outside of the gimmick they are. Good for the burst they bring in low tier keys but garbage for anything else. Who cares if you can do a little more dps if you need to kite out of actual dps specs aoe constantly.

For those who care about the raid prot paladins are leading in tank deaths almost 2 to 1 going by warcraftlogs. It's only going to get worst when mythic unlocks. Good luck to prot paladins in mythic.
    Right?! I am just learning to tank but honestly SoTR seems weak as hell. I am getting pumped through it and if you have even a second of down time you get stomped on. I may be doing something wrong but I use my cooldowns as needed in discord with healer so i can tell him when im out of CDs and all that jazz... I was considering playing guardian but with little time on my hands I dont know what to do.

Is this a usual problem? I MAINLY do mythic dungeons.. because i dont have the time for raids but if i was to i could swap to balance for DPS? I don't like Demon Hunter. I believe its a silly meta. They have the best mobility but their self sustain is incredibly inconsistent and difficult for healers. Everyone keeps telling me Bear will be C tier tank but im thinking they are going to be on top for M+ for sure! espically cause of the legendary and conduits you can connect together. I don't know much about WoW but that is my take on it and I agree!

Prot Paladin does alot of DPS other then that they have heaps of utility but thats where it ends IMO SoTR uptime like 90% at 16% haste and even then im still getting smacked in the face by some abilities but I see Guardians just strolling through with bigger pulls LOL

Blood DK feels stronger then in BFA despite the as of yet low Haste which makes resources usually sparse. The hard part is that we need to be in melee constantly for any of our Mitigation or Self-heal to work and we cannot build any defense before engaging the enemy (apart from just pre-casting a CD). This makes the first few seconds of a fight or the first pull of a dungeon the most dangerous one, since you basically jump in naked, praying not to get globaled before you have even enough RP for your first Death Strike.

Sadly SLs has not improved this problem at all, though at least the Venthyr ability will allow us to generate a lot of RP in a first pull.

Damage-wise we were okayish and will be much better come wednesday with several huge buffs to dps and aggro. That will allow us to focus on survivability more.

It is however very disheartening to be tanking with a Warrior next to you. Forget about keeping aggro in a pack, it is not happening. Their damage is ridiculous despite the nerf to Thunderclap it is just Revenge now that is at the top and in a big pack Prot Warrior can easily outdamage dps specs.

This means that once again Warriors will be the top M+ tanks. Not sure how that keeps happening. Not to mention that they got an AOE taunt now, because a class that keeps up with dps spec needs that....

15+ Year Old Account
    As Venge DH I don't know if its hard to heal me or not. Well, I made a build around fel devastation (plus legendary) to save myself from inevitable death if it comes to me, helped me alot. But I dont know, I rarely get loots from M+ and 187 ilvl becomes a pain when i join 7+ mythics. It either I'm a bad and undergeared tank (or just bad) or my teammates actually want to push something they cant.

Atleast I dont feel that squishy I felt in the beginning of BfA
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

It feels really shit as a paladin - yes we are OP on damage, but we melt like sugar in hot water. My SotR doubles my armor and with active mitigation on my physical dmg taken is reduced by extra 15%... With current haste number we starve on holy power which really feels like completely not needed mechanic. It will be irrelevant with higher haste and without that? It's same as SotR cd recharge with low haste. Sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't. It adds very minor element of complexity to the spec.
    I don't like kiting at all, I do that, when I need too when let's say healer dies, or mobs are lethal/debuffs/necrotic stakcs, but now, a +7 feels worse than a +23 used to feel... I know I am wearing normal level gear and it's forty setting but come on! I should not be damn globaled by 3 mobs... On anything above +10 you might as well call us kites rather than tanks.

Squishy. Kyrian. Prot paladin, 7-9 keys. 187 ilvl, though important slots like chest, legs, weapon are blue (upgrading honor pieces currently since after 17 Mythic+ i only got back, ring and neck of ilvl 200; also gonna get exalted head soon).
    Anyway, part of it is lack of dungeon knowledge and lack of party stun / interrupts / dispels, but there are times when i have to kite because i will get oneshot if i don't.

I don't know, I also feel like i need better gear. Had no threat issues at all, even though i am using a pretty defensive build.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I'm getting used to it too. Having raided for a few hours now, we are not bad, we are fine at worst, and maybe still very good, I'm not an expert. I tend to treat the shield much like a 3rd stack of purify on a separate timer, it's functionally not that different, either you absorb the damage upfront or purify it afterwards. So I use the shield and let my purifies charge for a few seconds, then go back to purifying once the shield is down.
    Pretty much this. CB is pretty much the blackout combo's "stop the stagger" it basically freezes your hp which adds to the smoothness. Dont be discouraged to use it on cd unless you need it soon for a bigger hit. It's much more interactive than before and I'm liking the playstyle. Overall effectiveness is too early to tell, but brm generally scales really good and being 194 right now feels like entirely different class than what I was at around 180. Doing m10+ absolutely fine, but yes, you have to kite stuff.

Weakest part is obviously magic damage. It hurts, so fucking much. Druids and DKs dont have this problem, but BRM is just horrible against magic. And I mean it, horrible.
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2020-12-14 at 04:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holywhiskers View Post
    Health amount literally doesn't matter. Stamina flasks are bad. Stamina food is bad. Stamina trinkets are bad. It has been this way since Cata. Talking about how much HP a tank has is literally not an issue unless the tank is incredibly undergeared. Then the real issue is still the undergeared part and not the low HP pool part. And that entire interaction between Limit means EXACTLY nothing for a variety of reasons. Youre one of the reasons every WoW streams chat is going to be literally intolerable for atleast the next week. Thanks for that.
    Incorrect. Stamina was the second stat you took in Cata after you hit your primary goal. Mastery as prot pally and warrior to the block cap and then stamina because you're at 100% block chance and effective health pools became the next most important. Even on Heroic Deathwing 25 etc Don't be an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Incorrect. Stamina was the second stat you took in Cata after you hit your primary goal. Mastery as prot pally and warrior to the block cap and then stamina because you're at 100% block chance and effective health pools became the next most important. Even on Heroic Deathwing 25 etc Don't be an ass.
    You can't really say this. It's not as simple.

Stamina is THE most stat if you DON'T have ENOUGH and its absolutely meaningless if you do. This "enough" is very skill/environment based.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    You can't really say this. It's not as simple.

Stamina is THE most stat if you DON'T have ENOUGH and its absolutely meaningless if you do. This "enough" is very skill/environment based.
    As you said, environment based but even a tank has stat priorities. Stamina can boil to that at the end of the day.

Prot Paladin is ok.

Kind of wish it didn't revolve around managing a micro duration buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Any consensus on Protection Warriors? Are they still mechanically Vengeance DH 0.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post

Maybe mention content you are doing on each and ilvl.