Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Vastly overused words in dialoge or quest text

Oh man. I don't know if I'm just noticing this now or if this has been an ongoing thing.

But the word "aid" is used in almost every single quest you accept while leveling and so many times in NPC dialogue.

Like seriously. No use of the word "help" or "assistance" or "cooporation" or anything like that.

Every quest it's like go here and lend them you aid, or go here and get their aid, or hello adventurer we need your...

Ya'll get the point.

Anyone notice any other words this expansion that are over used that may not have been over used in previous expansions?
    RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    maaaaw walkaaaaa...

yea I know I know I must walk in that garbage zone.. you don't have to remind me of that every fucking time

Nope, just figure since it's set in a fantasy world that that was just how their world worked.

I mean, how many times do you hear people in the real world say aid instead of help? Same thing.

You should start going up to people you know when they re-use words too often for your liking and telling them all the different words they could put in it's place!
    That sounds like it'd make life a real treat, Don't-chya think!?
    I'm a thread killer.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it when the dialogue balloon says my name, but the voice acting says 'Hero' or 'Champion'.
    Just get the dialogue to say that too... I know saying a name is impossible.. but I feel really disconnected when I see my name but hear something else.

I will end you. I will be your end. X will be the end of you. End you.

They got a little success out of it a few years back with Varian, and then went hogwild putting it in practically every quest chain. Now it's so cliche that it's cringeworthy every time I read it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that you mention it, I have noticed words being overused. I mean who constantly needs to use words like 'and, the, be, to and of'

Be original!

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of words... I just noticed while farming the Tomb of Sargeras how awfullly cringy all the voice-acting from Kadgar was in Legion.

Come to think of it... it still is sometimes. Not everything needs to be dramatic and campy; can we get some sublety once in a while?
    It's always righteously good or bloody evil. Even when Kil'Jaeden was defeated, he turned around into Velen's BFF.

It's either a redemption right before you die or a final 'I'll get you gadget... next timeeeeee'-scream.

So, the cringe and camp is overused!

I've installed "BeQuiet" long ago. I don't need talking heads in my game constantly bombarding me with meaningless pleas...

the first word that popped into head was corruption. this is corrupted. that is corruption. cleanse this corruption. beat back that corruption. blah blah blah. What we never get is someone evil of their own volition. they always are corrupted spomehow.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Speaking of words... I just noticed while farming the Tomb of Sargeras how awfullly cringy all the voice-acting from Kadgar was in Legion.

Come to think of it... it still is sometimes. Not everything needs to be dramatic and campy; can we get some sublety once in a while?
    It's always righteously good or bloody evil. Even when Kil'Jaeden was defeated, he turned around into Velen's BFF.

It's either a redemption right before you die or a final 'I'll get you gadget... next timeeeeee'-scream.

So, the cringe and camp is overused!
    If any word is overused, it's the word "cringe" by the players; the NPCs probably ask each other why that word gets used in every sentence

I haven't read a single quest or dialogue this entire expansion so I haven't really noticed personally. But I mean what else would you expect? Blizzard are writing literally hundreds of quests and I'm pretty sure they don't care about the story any more than anyone else, so no real reason for them to put much effort into it.

I only remember Cataclysm using the word "twilight" a lot, then WoD doing the same thing with "savage".

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    All our enemies using "Mortal" as its a racial slur or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinJgh View Post
    Oh man. I don't know if I'm just noticing this now or if this has been an ongoing thing.

But the word "aid" is used in almost every single quest you accept while leveling and so many times in NPC dialogue.

Like seriously. No use of the word "help" or "assistance" or "cooporation" or anything like that.

Every quest it's like go here and lend them you aid, or go here and get their aid, or hello adventurer we need your...

Ya'll get the point.

Anyone notice any other words this expansion that are over used that may not have been over used in previous expansions?
    Can you assistance us!?
    Can you cooperation us!?
    We need your cooperation here!

No you are just bad at writing, especially since help is used a fair bit too. And assistance is used when it fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

"OUR SOURCES ARE STRETCHED PERILOUSLY THIN! OUR ANIMA RESERVES ARE STRETCHED THIN! OUR FORCES ARE STRETCHED THIN AS IS"

This one comes to mind. It's repeated a lot thorough the campaign lol. Anima junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    "OUR SOURCES ARE STRETCHED PERILOUSLY THIN! OUR ANIMA RESERVES ARE STRETCHED THIN! OUR FORCES ARE STRETCHED THIN AS IS"

This one comes to mind. It's repeated a lot thorough the campaign lol. Anima junkies.
    Like trying to babysit oddly polite drug addicts

What drives me nuts is the constant use of "they" and "them" instead of "him" or "her".
    I wonder if they use the same PC bullshit in other languages that WoW is voiced in...

Champion or Hero most definitely

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm surprised no one brought this up in Legion and BFA with "CORRUPTION". Everything and everyone was CORRUPTED. "This is corrupted, that is corrupted, he is corrupted, she is corrupted, the corruption is corrupted". Blizzard is obsessed with corruption because if you notice one of the main if not THE main driving point to these stories in every expansion is because someone or something is CORRUPTED in some way. My friends and I even made it into a meme because of how much of a joke it is at this point.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Decimate & derivatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.