Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is gonna be a cop out answer but anyway...

You will eventually see a pattern in style when you play a game long enough especially when you come accustomed to that writers style, or in terms of writing style, that it could become repetitive.

WoW does have its fair share of cliche's like most fantasy when it comes to writing. WoW has always been that way, hell, Warcraft has always been that way. Warcraft has always been super over the top, bombastic, in your face, in its writing style never the type of game to deal in subtly. "THE EARTH SHALL TREMBLE' or 'THIS WORLD WILL BURN' 'THE BURNING SHADOW HAS COME TO CONSUME US ALL' that type of over dramatic silly phrases are just common for the franchise. I think thats just apart of the charm. Its very in tune with what Warcraft is. Just look at Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 you'll notice they over use certain phrase to get a message across.

ITs less about how the dialogue is overused, but how it's been presented, how its always been presented. To me Warcraft has always been Saturday morning cartoon levels of writing, and that isnt bad at all, it has its morals and lessons, but is also interjected with so much cheese that when you get older you sort of come to love that charm.

The dialogue in WoW is akin on levels to something like Disney's Gargoyles, or he X-Men cartoon. Maybe even going as dark as the Batman animated Series. Even those awesome shows had cheesey dialogue. WoW is a cartoon in that aspect so the dialogue reflects that. Once again I know people are going to be insulted by that but I think that holds up more in favour of how good Warcaft is not for how bad.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-12-31 at 04:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    You missed the point entirely with "corruption". The issue is not that they could use a different word. The issue is that the corruption appears so much in lore that it's a joke. That almost every single bad thing is the cause of "corruption". People who mentioned it attacked the lore and not the word itself. Try to look into what people are actually saying, even if it is slightly offtopic, instead of looking for things to complain about. This way, it wont seem like you are trying to nitpick worse than the nitpickers you are insulting.
    So this is actually a complaint that blizzard didnt retcon the old god lore? good to know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Every time an overpowered boss sends a crappy goon to end us because he has to "take care of other business".

Also "mortal". If we are so mortal, how come we are still alive, and the ones who say that are usually killed soon after?

The linguistic explanation is that perfect synonyms are an utopia and, if any, they are found in extremely reduced quantity (like 1 or 2 in a few languages).

Such fabled examples often exist in specialized language, like vermifuge and anthelmintic, which both indicate an agent capable of destroying or expelling parasitic worms. This is largely due to the fact that such words are rarely used outside of scientific contexts and thus a speaker community cannot usually polarize them towards diastratic/diaphasic changes. If I thought long and hard, I could probably produce maybe one other example of that in the Eglish language, two on a good day, but it would be a stretch.

All the rest are imperfect synonyms (like "desecrated" and "corrupted") and contextual synonyms (like "changed" and "corrupted").

Admittedly though they could get more creative with it and provide different words for the same concept. But what purpose would it serve? Repetition reinforces the understanding of meaning, and it's a linguistic device as old as Beowulf and the epic poem.

Sorry for the linguistic rant, I was in a talkative mood
    Well actually you put it amazingly, like people mad magni didnt change what he said, people have speech patterns, if someone likes the word champion they will use that word, and not change to a different word of a similar meaning every sentence.

also as i said before (on the mortal thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Mortal/immortal does not mean what you think it means. Just cause we resurrect when we did we are not immortal.

Mortal means you can die of normal means. Age, sickness, lack of food.
    Immortal means you can't die of mortal means. You must be killed.

The night elves where immortal, but a sure fuck lot of them died during the war of the ancients. They were immortal, which meant they would not die of old age or anything. Just dying from being killed.

what you think is immortal is actually invincible, unable to be killed by any means.
    been watching the pirates of the caribbean recently as i missed a couple when i was a kid.
    that has a good example, davey jones is immortal. That means he will live forever, he will not die of old age, he will not die of sickness, he will not wither away. But he can be killed.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-12-31 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

"Across the stars" comes to mind from Legion. They liked to put that in wherever they could.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleific View Post
    "Across the stars" comes to mind from Legion. They liked to put that in wherever they could.
    i cannot remember them using that line a single time.
    literally just a quest name in wod.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    noone is as skilled/geared and aware of the advantages of slow rolling the game like you, be assured.
    I'm fairly low geared only 205 so far, and i'm also not doing maw much at all other than weeklies.

I'm just wondering what it is that people dislike about it.. and tbh it is only those 2 reasons that i can even think off that people might struggle with.

Would be nice would an actual reply tho, and not sarcasm.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I'm fairly low geared only 205 so far, and i'm also not doing maw much at all other than weeklies.

I'm just wondering what it is that people dislike about it.. and tbh it is only those 2 reasons that i can even think off that people might struggle with.

you cant possibly imagine why people might dislike the concept of the maw? i am not sure if i am able to help you understand.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

-TEST YOUR METTLE!
    -I am Ready.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Oh my god, this, just soo much. Especially if they throw it at draenei or elves with long lives, even more so for those magically inclined. They act like they are fucking eternal, when half of them die the next secod - for good.
    This. I just saw it last night when my LF Draenei joined the Night Fae and the Winter Queen was talking about how how much I've accomplished in a "mortal" lifetime. Given that Draenei already hit middle age at 15,000 years and the Lightforged have the blessing of the light which has already given a regular human a 1000+ year life span on top of that, a "mortal" lifetime is quite a bit of time to be accomplishing things.

And yeah, let's not pretend that those in the Shadowlands are living forever here. How many have I sent to their "final" deaths at this point?

you cant possibly imagine why people might dislike the concept of the maw? i am not sure if i am able to help you understand.
    The 2 reasons i listed earlier are the only 2 things i can think of, so i'm wondering which one of those 2 most people agree on.

If you got any more reasons as to why. You could list those as well.

The 2 reasons i listed earlier are the only 2 things i can think of, so i'm wondering which one of those 2 most people agree on.

If you got any more reasons as to why. You could list those as well.
    you take being slow really serious, do you now?
    -Voltaire
    winning

you take being slow really serious, do you now?
    Are people are going with the second of the 2 reasons then?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I know this is gonna be a cop out answer but anyway...

You will eventually see a pattern in style when you play a game long enough especially when you come accustomed to that writers style, or in terms of writing style, that it could become repetitive.

WoW does have its fair share of cliche's like most fantasy when it comes to writing. WoW has always been that way, hell, Warcraft has always been that way. Warcraft has always been super over the top, bombastic, in your face, in its writing style never the type of game to deal in subtly. "THE EARTH SHALL TREMBLE' or 'THIS WORLD WILL BURN' 'THE BURNING SHADOW HAS COME TO CONSUME US ALL' that type of over dramatic silly phrases are just common for the franchise. I think thats just apart of the charm. Its very in tune with what Warcraft is. Just look at Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 you'll notice they over use certain phrase to get a message across.

ITs less about how the dialogue is overused, but how it's been presented, how its always been presented. To me Warcraft has always been Saturday morning cartoon levels of writing, and that isnt bad at all, it has its morals and lessons, but is also interjected with so much cheese that when you get older you sort of come to love that charm.

The dialogue in WoW is akin on levels to something like Disney's Gargoyles, or he X-Men cartoon. Maybe even going as dark as the Batman animated Series. Even those awesome shows had cheesey dialogue. WoW is a cartoon in that aspect so the dialogue reflects that. Once again I know people are going to be insulted by that but I think that holds up more in favour of how good Warcaft is not for how bad.
    It is not a cop out at all, but the real answer to the question posed.

WoW is a mix between a soap opera, where the same well-known and loved/hated personas take turns between being the center of attention, and a sports event, where the players identify with one of the teams while they chug a six-pack and cheer for their team and boo at the opponents.

Both genres require a sharp divide between good/evil or them/us. Both genres also demand the same action/words repeated again and again, maybe with small twists.
    And to make it crystal clear for everybody then Blizzard actually has a motto:

Gameplay first

And that should tell everyone what they need to know what to expect from WoW
    Last edited by T-34; 2020-12-31 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling

Dude how is 205 “low”? 90% of players are not even 190 I think (I’m 181 atm).

"Something something mortals something something perish/doom/demise".

Or similar vibes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Dude how is 205 “low”? 90% of players are not even 190 I think (I’m 181 atm).
    I just don't have any self-value (Or what is the word?) So i doubt i could ever be considered "Good" or even decent geared.

and aren't there like people doing multible 14's daily? or even heroic or mythic raiding? So i highly doubt that any ilvl i can reach could ever be considered High. i've only done M+9 as highest so far and no raiding.

I just don't have any self-value (Or what is the word?) So i doubt i could ever be considered "Good" or even decent geared.

and aren't there like people doing multible 14's daily? or even heroic or mythic raiding? So i highly doubt that any ilvl i can reach could ever be considered High. i've only done M+9 as highest so far and no raiding.
    all edge, no point. almost perfect meme material.
    -Voltaire
    winning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    maaaaw walkaaaaa...

yea I know I know I must walk in that garbage zone.. you don't have to remind me of that every fucking time
    So sick of hearing "Maw Walker", especially when it's NPCs FROM AZEROTH calling me that, when we've been interacting with each other in quests for literally years now.

I wish we had options, I wish I could tick a box to make them all call me by my class name, or just "champion", or "hero", or my Order Hall title... Anything but Maw Walker, it's such a cringe title.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i mean can you give me another word for corruption?
    cause if ya cant then sod off, how else are they gunna talk about fel, void, etc corruption without... using the word corruption....
    agian it seems like everyone here complaining is literally just a manchild who is mad that blizzard is actually using propper grammar.

Try to tell me the lore of the old gods for example without using the word corrupt, lets see if you can do it?
    I think you missed my entire point of my comment. My comment wasn't directed towards their use of the word corruption but rather the fact that majority of WoW's story has to do with corruption and how repetitive it has been over the past several expansions.

Lol, also before you start calling everyone here a manchild, if want to talk about using "propper" grammar then learn to spell check and instead of using "gunna" like an actual manchild would, use "going to" or at least spell "gonna" right.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

seriously 5 pages and no one mentions the most obvious one.

you only delay the inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    All our enemies using "Mortal" as its a racial slur or something.
    think, at least you arent experiencing that as an italian player undead, they call you "mortale" even if you are a "non morto" (i mean, the problem exists even in english, but at least it doesnt use the same linguistic root)
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings