A story about a family ruined, from Danish Television but in English

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/horisont_-...dde-usa_359943

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That they think a wide spanning conspiracy exists, hundreds of thousands of people involved, all working in sync behind the scenes without anything going wrong or leaking shows one thing.

These idiots have never lead a team on a project.
    According to some religions, that'd probably be what God and the angels are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proud Boys sedition trial to begin Monday.

By the way, we've seen many a Team Trump court attempt just fail to work because it had no merit whatsoever. The Proud Boys, the militant arm of Team Trump in that they literally stormed the Capitol because he said so, are no different.

The four who had sought to get the case tossed had argued that their defense efforts are irreparably hampered because too many of the witnesses they'd like to call would plead the Fifth due to their own ongoing interactions with the Justice Department.

Two potential Proud Boys defense witnesses were also "intimidated" into silence when the federal government threatened prosecution, one of the four, Ethan Nordean, had argued.

The defendants had asked US District Judge Timothy J. Kelly to order the federal government to grant immunity to their potential defense witnesses, and to dismiss the indictment if the government refused.

In his decision, the judge said he did not find the government's conduct warranted dismissal of the indictment that a total of five co-defendants are being tried on.
    I'm sure @cubby would like to weigh in on this, but simply put, if the only people you want to call to your defense refuse to testify because their testimony would put them in jail too, then the problem isn't the government. The problem is you are a criminal who worked with other criminals. Which, considering you're being tried for seditious conspiracy, is the single dumbest thing you could admit in court. Also, the defense in nothing is allowed to tell the prosecutor who to give immunity to in anything. That's a level of ridiculous not even Team Trump has tried before.

But yes, they asked for the case to be tossed because their friends were also guilty. There is no alternative way to interpret their claims under oath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations to Joshua Black. The first murderous insurrectionist to be found not guilty of a charge.

"Woohoo! MAGA!"

Oh, hold that applause, Proud Boys.

U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled after a weeklong bench trial that Black had a "unique stew in his mind" that made her uncertain of whether he understood that his actions were unlawful, Politico reports.

He said in a YouTube video that he "wanted to get into the building so I could plead the blood of Jesus ... That was my goal."

He was found guilty of other charges, including disorderly conduct in a restricted building while carrying a dangerous weapon (a knife).
    Yep. Looks like the dude plead insanity. And it worked...for the obstruction charge. Oh, and that video saying he just wanted to plead his case probably helped.

So that's all you need to get out of the charges against you. Time travel.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...an-6-riot.html

Three Marines were arrested Wednesday for their participation in the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, according to court documents unsealed Thursday.

Micah Coomer, Joshua Abate, and Dodge Dale Hellonen -- three men identified by investigators as active-duty Marines -- were arrested on four charges each stemming from their participation in the mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol in a bid to prevent the certification of Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 presidential election.

The three men are the first active-duty military members to be arrested in connection with the siege since Marine Maj. Christopher Warnagiris, who was taken into custody in May 2021 on nine charges. All three Marines, who were arrested more than two years after the attack, work in jobs connected to the intelligence community.
    Oh boy that's not remotely worrying or concerning that we have violent, conspiracy-theory-believing, right wing extremists not only serving in the military, but serving in an intelligence capacity.

Which I think we can say "they're not actually intelligent", but uh...that's no bueno.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/...an-6-riot.html

Oh boy that's not remotely worrying or concerning that we have violent, conspiracy-theory-believing, right wing extremists not only serving in the military, but serving in an intelligence capacity.

Which I think we can say "they're not actually intelligent", but uh...that's no bueno.
    Let's not forget that we already have incredibly good suspicion to believe the secret service is compromised by MAGAts.

But hey, news from today.

Jim Jordan asked, on behalf of the house Judiciary committee, if there were any non public investigations still on going.

DoJ to Jim Jordan and the House Judiciary Committee: "Longstanding DoJ policy prevents us from confirming or denying the existence of pending investigations in response to congressional requests or providing NON PUBLIC information about our investigations."

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Oh they're already doing the, "Well of course we didn't respond to the PARTISAN Jan. 6 Committee subpoenas! But ours? Ours are all very neutral and in no way shape or form partisan or in bad faith and we fully expect Democrats not to act exactly as we did otherwise that's evidence they have something to hide!" song and dance.

I know the chances are exceedingly low, I just hope there's some actual accounting for what we've done and the damage we've caused others after we leave this fleshy shell.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-pol...adc195c9b51492

An Arkansas man who propped his feet up on a desk in then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office during the U.S. Capitol riot was convicted on Monday of joining a mob’s attack on the building two years ago.

A jury deliberated for approximately two hours before unanimously convicting Richard “Bigo” Barnett on all eight counts in his indictment, including felony charges of civil disorder and obstruction of an official proceeding.

Barnett lounging at a desk in Pelosi’s office made him one of the most memorable figures from the riot on Jan. 6, 2021, the day when Congress convened a joint session to certify President Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper is scheduled to sentence Barnett on May 3. The judge agreed to let Barnett remain free on certain conditions until his sentencing.

Outside the courthouse after the verdict, Barnett vowed to appeal his conviction, calling it an “injustice.” He noted that the judge had rejected his request to move his trial from Washington to Arkansas.

“This is not a jury of my peers,” he told reporters.

Prosecutors asked the judge to jail Barnett while he awaits sentencing. Justice Department prosecutor Alison Prout said the jury concluded that Barnett took a weapon into Pelosi’s office.

“We can only imagine what would have happened if (Pelosi) had been there at the time,” Prout said.

Barnett, 62, testified last Thursday that he was looking for a bathroom inside the Capitol when he unwittingly entered Pelosi’s office and encountered two news photographers. He said one of the photographers told him to “act natural,” so he leaned back in a chair and flung his legs onto the desk.
    Man, if I'm looking for the bathroom and I walk into a room that's clearly not the bathroom, I don't think I'm going to be listening to two "FAKE NEWS MEDIA" photographers telling me to "act natural" and put my feet up, I'm leaving to find the fucking bathroom.

Either way, fuck this loser. He went in armed and stole shit as well, hope he enjoy spending some time in prison as he cries that he wasn't tried in a state where he didn't commit a crime.

Seriously, these are some of the biggest losers around. Are "Real Americans" all fucking losers like these guys? How the fuck were we ever a great nation of "Real America" was this fuckin lame, stupid, and incompetent?

- - - Updated - - -

https://apnews.com/article/oath-keep...0ee389959e0e62

Four members of the Oath Keepers were convicted Monday of seditious conspiracy in the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol attack in the second major trial of far-right extremists accused of plotting to forcibly keep President Donald Trump in power.

The verdict against Joseph Hackett of Sarasota, Florida; Roberto Minuta of Prosper, Texas; David Moerschel of Punta Gorda, Florida; and Edward Vallejo of Phoenix, comes weeks after after a different jury convicted the group’s leader, Stewart Rhodes, in the mob’s attack that halted the certification of President Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

It’s another major victory for the Justice Department, which is also trying to secure sedition convictions against the former leader of the Proud Boys and four associates. The trial against Enrique Tarrio and his lieutenants opened earlier this month in Washington and is expected to last several weeks.
    I 'member when there were folks talking about how "sedition" was hyperbole and there was nothing going to happen and this was all a nothingberder.

At what point do they start actually going after these groups as criminal enterprises posing a domestic terror threat and shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    I 'member when there were folks talking about how "sedition" was hyperbole and there was nothing going to happen and this was all a nothingberder.
    Somehow, I doubt they'll rush back to defend Florida, Florida, Texas and Arizona men here. Also worth noting: they were found guilty of obstruction of justice, or more accurately, obstructing Congress from certifying the vote -- that's just as illegal. And while sedition might be a very rare charge, probably why it took the jury 3 days, obstruction was a slam dunk. They 100% planned to be there to block the vote and there's objective proof.

We won't be seeing them for a while. Well, they could appeal, and lose that too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ower-rcna68904

"We delivered a peaceful transition on January 6, 2021, exactly as our Constitution requires," Pompeo, a potential 2024 presidential candidate, told Sky News.
    I think Pompeo lost some brain mass with the rest of that weight he dropped in preparation for his presidential bid.

Just another reminder of how deeply dishonest Republicans are. People died that day because of the lies told by Republicans and those in Trump's orbit, including Pompeo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ower-rcna68904

I think Pompeo lost some brain mass with the rest of that weight he dropped in preparation for his presidential bid.

Just another reminder of how deeply dishonest Republicans are. People died that day because of the lies told by Republicans and those in Trump's orbit, including Pompeo.
    Guess he should ask the morons that have been getting some big time in prison if they had a peaceful transition on Jan 6th. Especially that pussy ass traitor that got 68 months this week while crying in court after he sprayed 15 cops with worse than bear mace.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...guilt-00081113

A Jan. 6 defendant’s boast in an interview this week that he had no regrets about his role in the Capitol riot — just days after he acknowledged his guilt in a federal courtroom — may upend the man’s efforts to resolve the criminal case against him.

U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta issued an order Friday instructing defendant Thomas Adams Jr. and prosecutors why the guilty findings the judge entered on Tuesday following a brief, “stipulated” bench trial should not be overturned in light of Adams’ comments to a reporter the following day.

I wouldn’t change anything I did,” Adams told the State Journal-Register Wednesday outside his home in Springfield, Ill. “I didn’t do anything. I still to this day, even though I had to admit guilt (in the stipulation), don’t feel like I did what the charge is.

In a brief order Friday morning, Mehta gave both sides one week to explain “why the court should not vacate Defendant’s convictions of guilt in light of his post-stipulated trial statements” included in the article. The judge also attached a copy of the news report.
    Sounds like judge are tired of rioters and insurrectionists lying to them in court repeatedly after pleading guilty to receive lesser sentences and claiming they feel very, very, very badly about it.

I'm still of the opinion the vast majority of these folks are being treated with kid gloves by our legal system, but whatever. I guess you can show up to overturn an election and aim to assassinate members of Congress and the Vice President and it's all fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Convicted Jan 6th rioter is caught on camera peeking on women in tanning beds.

https://deadstate.org/jan-6-rioter-b...medium=twitter

You know, I'm starting to understand why these people hate the government and insist there's government overreach. I imagine those types of emotions and feelings are prevalent among people who broke the law and are facing the consequences of their actions.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Convicted Jan 6th rioter is caught on camera peeking on women in tanning beds.

https://deadstate.org/jan-6-rioter-b...medium=twitter

You know, I'm starting to understand why these people hate the government and insist there's government overreach. I imagine those types of emotions and feelings are prevalent among people who broke the law and are facing the consequences of their actions.
    That's a really weird followup crime and makes me wonder if this isn't his first time doing that. Or maybe doing 30 days of hard time turned him into a career criminal.

Either way, man that's gonna be awkward for his family. Already dealing with him and his son being capitol rioters and now dad's probably going back to jail for a bit for being a peeping tom.

Honestly disappointed his name isn't Tom, because it would make this joke so much easier.

https://theintercept.com/2023/02/06/...6-marines-nsa/

A MARINE CHARGED with taking part in the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol was transferred into a highly sensitive intelligence assignment at the headquarters of the National Security Agency after the violent attempt to overturn the 2020 election results, Marine Corps officials have acknowledged. The Marine confessed to his role in the Capitol riot last summer during a security clearance interview, but was not charged until last month.

Following his alleged participation in the 2021 insurrection, Sgt. Joshua Abate, a special communication signals analyst, was assigned to the Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion, which acts as a liaison between the Marines and the NSA at Fort Meade. The transfer into the liaison unit after the Capitol riot placed Abate inside one of the most sensitive facilities in the entire U.S. government.
    So does security even matter? Does access to classified information matter? Does taking it home with you matter? Are there consequences for partaking in a violent insurrection and attempt to overturn an election?

The answers to all these questions, at least if you're a conservative white dude, or at the very least a white dude, apaprently largely seems to be: Not really, also not really, usually not, and apparently not for quite some time.

Two other Marines charged with entering the Capitol alongside Abate on January 6 were also given sensitive new intelligence assignments within the Marine Corps after the insurrection, according to statements from the Corps. Sgt. Dodge Dale Hellonen was assigned to the 3rd Marine Raider Support Battalion, which provides intelligence support to the Marine Forces Special Operations Command at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. And Cpl. Micah Coomer was assigned to the Marines 1st Radio Battalion, which provides signals intelligence and electronic warfare support for the Marine Expeditionary Force based in Camp Pendleton, California. Like Abate, Hellonen and Coomer are highly trained in communications and signals intelligence.
    Eyo do we to investigate Marine Corps leadership or something for potential ties to right wing extremists? Or is this just like, the usual level of potentially dangerous incompetence?

Because I've had more than a few friends join the military and need clearances, including some pretty fucking high level ones. Anything like, "Has your friend participated in political violence?" would have resulted in them being denied if the answer had been yes.

So like...what do?

https://theintercept.com/2023/02/06/...6-marines-nsa/

So does security even matter? Does access to classified information matter? Does taking it home with you matter? Are there consequences for partaking in a violent insurrection and attempt to overturn an election?

The answers to all these questions, at least if you're a conservative white dude, or at the very least a white dude, apaprently largely seems to be: Not really, also not really, usually not, and apparently not for quite some time.

Eyo do we to investigate Marine Corps leadership or something for potential ties to right wing extremists? Or is this just like, the usual level of potentially dangerous incompetence?

Because I've had more than a few friends join the military and need clearances, including some pretty fucking high level ones. Anything like, "Has your friend participated in political violence?" would have resulted in them being denied if the answer had been yes.

So like...what do?
    With people knowing he committed a crime, they could have blackmailed him. He should have lost his clearance when he admitted to it.

So conservatives are LOSING THEIR GOD DAMNED MINDS because activists in Oklahoma peacefully entered and are "occupying" the state Capitol building.

It's no different than January 6, 2021!

Except for the fact that nobody is breaking down doors or windows. Or forcing entry. Or destroying barriers. Or assaulting law enforcement with hockey sticks and American flags. Or crushing them in the door. Or building gallows and explicitly stating their intent to hang members of the State House or Lt. Governor.

Or really doing anything beyond showing up to a public space and sitting around for a peaceful protest.\

Republicans and conservatives are so fucking desperate to make it seem like they're not the only violent extremists, when in reality they're the only violent extremists.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...l/69886044007/

"It was no big deal. It wasn't like they tore anything up or broke into the Capitol or anything like that," Stitt said Tuesday when asked about the protest on a national radio show.

Stitt said there were no arrests and the protestors had a permit to be on the second floor.

At one point, the crowd moved to the fourth floor where they began shouting, but Stitt said state troopers asked them to quiet down while lawmakers gathered nearby. The crowd complied, Stitt said.

"There was never any danger for the citizens of Oklahoma or the Capitol," Stitt said.
    Just a reminder of how Republican lie.

And what a peaceful protest "occupying" a Capitol building looks like. And what complying with law enforcement looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    More sentences to announce!

This man is Kevin Seefield, of...Delaware, huh, okay...and if you have anything important to say to him, take your time. He's not going anywhere for three years.

Photographs of Seefried walking through the Capitol with his Confederate flag quickly became some of the most well-known images from the Jan. 6 assault. Seefried brought the flag “as a symbol of protest, but had not considered the logic of those who see the flag as a symbol of American racism,” his lawyers wrote in their sentencing memorandum filed last week.

“Now that photos of him with the flag have become iconic symbols of the horror of January 6, Mr. Seefried completely understands the harm he has caused,” they wrote, adding that Seefried is aware that “the community and even history, may view him as a racist.”

Seefried was the first rioter in the building to interact with U.S. Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman, who led Seefried and other rioters away from the entrance to the Senate chamber, prosecutors said. Goodman had ordered Seefried to leave the building. In response, Seefried asked Goodman where the members of Congress were and “jabbed the base of the flagpole at him,” prosecutors said.

“You can shoot me man, but we’re coming in,” Seefried told Goodman, according to prosecutors.
    Personally, I think hitting a police officer with a wood and/or metal stick while you're breaking and entering should be more than three years, but part of that is because of this:

Leslie Bethea sentenced to six years, but not for assaulting an on-duty police officer with a weapon whose stats are in every D&D manual ever printed. No, she got COVID relief funds and spent them on plastic surgery and a stay at Trump's hotel.

Bethea, 30, is accused of submitting false information and forged financial records to the U.S. government while applying for a loan under the Payroll Protection Program, which she did ultimately receive although she did not qualify for it. The PPP, a small business loan program backed by the U.S. Treasury that was developed to support struggling companies in the wake of the pandemic, granted Bethea $20,805, according to the Justice Department — an amount based on her allegedly faulty application.

Prosecutors alleged in a criminal complaint that Bethea's PPP loan application incorrectly stated that she had earned $99,835 in 2019, included fraudulent tax documents that aimed to substantiate that number, and claimed that she had not been convicted of fraud offenses at any time during the previous five years. However, the complaint notes that Bethea was in prison in Tennessee for the duration of the year 2019, and entered a mandatory period of supervised release in October 2020 that required her to submit legitimate monthly reports to her supervising probation officer.
    Yep. The proof that she was guilty of a crime, was that she was in prison for another crime. I don't think even Trump's gone that far.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-...b0255caaee4c3c

Former Vice President Mike Pence is reportedly planning to fight a grand jury subpoena from the Justice Department that would require him to testify about former President Donald Trump’s role in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Sources familiar with Pence’s plans offered details Tuesday to Politico, NBC News and The New York Times, saying Pence plans to argue that the vice president’s duties as president of the Senate protect him from such legal scrutiny, and that he intends to cite the U.S. Constitution’s “speech or debate clause.
    Once more, a reminder that no Republican is actually interested in justice or the rule of law, only protecting their own asses and their belief that they still have a bright political career ahead of them.