Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Elune - Member of the pantheon of life [Speculation]

Elune's nature is still one of the unanswered questions in World of Warcraft. I believe that Blizzard has been hinting that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister, due to how Ysera died (although there is an argument for Eonar). However, even if it is true that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister, this doesn't answer the question of what Elune is.

I propose that Elune is a member of the pantheon of life based on the following thoughts:

• (Assuming Elune is the Winter Queen's sister) The reason the Winter Queen is vexed with her sister is due to her sister being from Life -- the antithesis of Death.
    • As the realms of Order, Death and Shadow have pantheons -- the Titans, the known pantheon of Death, and the Void Lords -- it is reasonable there is a pantheon of life.
    • Elune has ties to the Emerald Dream and her power seems on par with that of other WoW deity.
    • Tyrande's nature of the Night Warrior is thematically consistent with life: it grows and consumes until depletion and death.

I think by having Elune as a member of the pantheon of life, it would reasonably fit with the current story and allow for future stories around the balance of the WoW cosmos.

What do y'all think about the prospect of Elune being a member of the pantheon of life?

Aesthetically and thematically, Tyrande looks way more similar to some kind of Void-ish warrior. The original moonwell where she ascended to Night Warrior looks very shadowy and bleak, almost as if it were a piece of the Void, and in general the Night Warrior's abilities and appearance (such as the eyes) are very reminiscent of an astral dimension. The stars, black holes, the cosmos, etc. imagery that is typically associated with the cold, endless Void, and certainly not the domain of Life.

As well, the fact that Tyrande's newfound powers risk to overwhelm her if she's not careful is very reminiscent of the plight affecting Alleria and the Ren'dorei.

There's also the connection between Elune and Xe'ra. It is no coincidence that the Tears of Elune unlocked the core of Xe'ra.

Elune is most likely one of the First Ones, the elusive and ancient beings who shaped the cosmos long ago. It was stated that Xe'ra was forged during the Great Ordering of the cosmos, after all, and "coincidentally" only the Tears of Elune can unlock the essence of her being. Was it not Khadgar who theorized that Elune forged Xe'ra?

If Elune is a mere member of the Pantheon of Life, then how do you explain the Night Warrior having clear thematic and aesthetic connections with the Void (and possibly the Arcane), and Xe'ra being linked to the Tears of Elune?
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-01-04 at 06:21 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I think Tyrande's night warrior make-up is based more on the fact that she's the "Night" warrior, as opposed to the "Noon" warrior, than it indicates the void.

I don't have a strong answer as to why the Tears of Elune could open Xe'ra. I also don't have a strong answer as to why Elune's Tear would be a Titan artifact if Elune wasn't a Titan. The story of WoW is plastic, and I don't know if the Tear of Elune opening Xe'ra is a major plot point. Regardless, I wouldn't say "mere" member of the Pantheon of Life. Wouldn't being a member of any of the Pantheons indicate they are some of the most powerful beings in the universe? Also, why would Xe'ra being linked to the Tears of Elune mean she couldn't be a member of the Pantheon of Life? "Xe'ra needed to grow so an artifact from Life was used to help open her (it?) up."

Much of my argument is based on the idea that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister. If this is false, then most of my other thoughts will also be wrong. I think the current bread crumbs indicate the Elune-Winter Queen relationship in conjunction with Ysera being touched by Elune are more relevant than the musings of Khadgar a couple of expansions ago.
    Last edited by Shmevlet; 2021-01-04 at 07:23 PM.

I think it make sense that Elune is tied to the plane of Life, giving the connection we already have (Elunaria, Eonar, Tyrande, etc.).

What they might do to shake things up is not having a Pantheon of Life but a unique deity as Elune herself. We don't need the same pattern to repeat on all planes of the comos, it could be quite boring.

We have seen the plane of Disorder. There's no mention of a Pantheon there until Sargeras moved in, although it would be pretty oxymoronic for the plane of disorder to have a rigid hierarchy and ruling council. So it is possible that not every plane has a pantheon.

There's much more evidence of Elune being a creature of Light, but there's also evidence of Life too. I speculate she's not really part of the 6 Cosmic powers and is outside of it, which would make her a "First Ones"
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    There's much more evidence of Elune being a creature of Light, but there's also evidence of Life too. I speculate she's not really part of the 6 Cosmic powers and is outside of it, which would make her a "First Ones"
    Agree on Elune being a First One.

It helps explain why Elune can not act freely at helping the races that worship her. Other First Ones may prevent her from doing so.

As seen with most Cosmic forces leaders they have no problem making changes in the Universe.

Much of my proposal is based on the idea that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister. For those of you who think Elune is a First One, who do you believe the Winter Queen's sister is?

Elune has to be a first one, her powers go way beyond what these pantheons seem to be able to do. I also find it odd that everything involving her seems cyclic. Naaru->void->Naaru. Life->death->life Moon phases, the night warrior power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a speculation that some entities are responsible for few sides of world. For example Elune is responsible both for light and void. She created Naaru and she created Night warriors (and probably void lords). And that fact hints as to why she seems so weak: she must obey the balance, she can't just help one side. She can sometimes help one side when balance is in danger. For example she helped to release Ysera from nightmare grasp, because Xavius was winning and threatened the balance. My guess is she could help the void to protect from the light if needed.

While Winter Queen resides in the death realm, it's obvious that Ardenweald is deeply connected with life. Actually Ardenweald is the only Shadowland covenant which returns some souls from death to the living realm.

So probably Winter Queen is much more powerful than Denathrius, but she's bound by balance restrictions and can't just wield her powers, she must obey the balance.

That's a weak theory, but it might explain why Elune both connected to Naaru and the Night and why Ardenweald screams "LIFE" when you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmevlet View Post
    Elune's nature is still one of the unanswered questions in World of Warcraft. I believe that Blizzard has been hinting that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister, due to how Ysera died (although there is an argument for Eonar). However, even if it is true that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister, this doesn't answer the question of what Elune is.

I propose that Elune is a member of the pantheon of life based on the following thoughts:

• (Assuming Elune is the Winter Queen's sister) The reason the Winter Queen is vexed with her sister is due to her sister being from Life -- the antithesis of Death.
    • As the realms of Order, Death and Shadow have pantheons -- the Titans, the known pantheon of Death, and the Void Lords -- it is reasonable there is a pantheon of life.
    • Elune has ties to the Emerald Dream and her power seems on par with that of other WoW deity.
    • Tyrande's nature of the Night Warrior is thematically consistent with life: it grows and consumes until depletion and death.

I think by having Elune as a member of the pantheon of life, it would reasonably fit with the current story and allow for future stories around the balance of the WoW cosmos.

What do y'all think about the prospect of Elune being a member of the pantheon of life?
    I do not think so. Because is the pantheon of life had Eonar. Only way is that elune is a LT of Eonar, a other name etc. But seeing as they where locked away and Elune helped during BFA. We can pretty much write of her being a other Name foe Eonar.

But WoW pedia has done some work for you: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Elune

Personnaly i think she is what blizzard wants her to be once/if they ever really show her.

She is not a Naruu ( but she might have made them)
    She is not a old god ( but she can fight them)
    She is not a member of the pantheon ( but she might have made planets with them)
    She is/has been seen in the mortal realm and helps a lot
    She had child with a powerfull being.
    She is extremely powerfull.

[*](Assuming Elune is the Winter Queen's sister) The reason the Winter Queen is vexed with her sister is due to her sister being from Life -- the antithesis of Death.

Well said. There are those who think Lady Moonberry is the Winter Queen's sister, for some reason.

I, personally, think the Winter Queen's sister is a Summer Queen. A perfect antithesis to a Winter Queen. Since Elune is not associated with Summer (Elune is night time, Summer is daylight), I don't believe a Summer Queen would be her.

I think the prospect of Elune being a member of the Pantheon of Life is very high. I, myself, made a thread about Elune's identity. I believe her to be a very powerful Wild God/Loa:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...a-Wild-God-Loa

5+ Year Old Account
    Much of my proposal is based on the idea that Elune is the Winter Queen's sister. For those of you who think Elune is a First One, who do you believe the Winter Queen's sister is?
    Summer queen? Something or someone aligned with Garden of life.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Summer queen? Something or someone aligned with Garden of life.
    How does Ysera play into this since we know there's a relationship between Ysera and the sister?

I firmly believe that Blizzard is scrambling to create "new Lore" after Legion basically saw us reach the natural conclusion of the entire Warcraft story.

Really, "Elune" probably shouldn't even exist, or rather exist purely as a cultural belief by the Night Elves. I suspect the ORIGINAL plan was to have Elune as a "God/Goddess", essentially a creation of Eonar, second in power only to the Titans themselves.

The problem is, Legion introduced us to the Titans, and revealed they're all kind of a little bitch. So Blizzard starts scrambling, "wait, PLEASE DON'T GO, uhh, actually the Titans aren't the only Pantheon! There's, uhh, a a Pantheon of Death! Yeah! And, uhh, Elune is still a big, mysterious being!"

At this point, I fully expect Blizzard to explain "actually Elune is even MORE powerful than the Titans!", because they're just eager to do anything that keeps the universe going and getting "bigger", having already dealt with the Titans now.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I firmly believe that Blizzard is scrambling to create "new Lore" after Legion basically saw us reach the natural conclusion of the entire Warcraft story.

Really, "Elune" probably shouldn't even exist, or rather exist purely as a cultural belief by the Night Elves. I suspect the ORIGINAL plan was to have Elune as a "God/Goddess", essentially a creation of Eonar, second in power only to the Titans themselves.

The problem is, Legion introduced us to the Titans, and revealed they're all kind of a little bitch. So Blizzard starts scrambling, "wait, PLEASE DON'T GO, uhh, actually the Titans aren't the only Pantheon! There's, uhh, a a Pantheon of Death! Yeah! And, uhh, Elune is still a big, mysterious being!"

At this point, I fully expect Blizzard to explain "actually Elune is even MORE powerful than the Titans!", because they're just eager to do anything that keeps the universe going and getting "bigger", having already dealt with the Titans now.
    /thread
    10chars
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

How does Ysera play into this since we know there's a relationship between Ysera and the sister?
    We don't know what she's been up to in The Emerald Dream, and who she bonded with there.

Quote Originally Posted by haiyken View Post
    What they might do to shake things up is not having a Pantheon of Life but a unique deity as Elune herself. We don't need the same pattern to repeat on all planes of the comos, it could be quite boring.
    You mean like this expansion already being a copy of the Burning Legion and the Void Lords?

I think the Winter Queen's sister is more likely Eonar, because she more directly created Ysera than Elune did. Freya did create Ysera, but she's a Titan construct so I fail to see her being on par with the Winter Queen.

I think the "sister" link between them is more metaphorical than genetic, really. Like the "moon" is the "sun's" sister but one is a big rock and the other is a star.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Elune has to be a first one, her powers go way beyond what these pantheons seem to be able to do. I also find it odd that everything involving her seems cyclic. Naaru->void->Naaru. Life->death->life Moon phases, the night warrior power.
    Except much like a god/goddess her actual acts can often be attributed elsewhere.